Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It is hard to argue that the drafts sweet spot is 25-50. 

If you pay attention to mocks it hurts just to see the players we miss out on by moving back those few spots to 47 due to the Wentz trade. I think that little move is ignored but I thought it stunk

Willingly moving from 42 to 47 already makes me think we’ll bail out of 47 as well. Unless of course a can’t miss selection is there on our board.

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Dotson top 20

Getting him at say 16/17 if someone wants to jump for an OT is very appealing. I do worry in that scenario though about GB moving up from 22.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

6.189: Luke Goedeke, G Central Michigan

I’ve noticed he’s ranked pretty low on mock simulators but it would a surprise if he drifted much past the 3rd round.

• Like 1

Just now, Ball Security said:

Used to pitch for the Dodgers.  I doubt he can play hybrid at his advanced age.

Hybrid is covered for us. The SDSU Punter/Kicker is our pick at 11. He can play receiver and hybrid, too. No worries there.

Plus we'll have depth for Way stashed on the roster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Willingly moving from 42 to 47 already makes me think we’ll bail out of 47 as well. Unless of course a can’t miss selection is there on our board.

Getting him at say 16/17 if someone wants to jump for an OT is very appealing. I do worry in that scenario though about GB moving up from 22.

I’ve noticed he’s ranked pretty low on mock simulators but it would a surprise if he drifted much past the 3rd round.

Goedeke is OT6 for me.Getting him in the third is good value.

Dotson is WR4 for me. 

Also, RE: Green Bay drafting a WR (not a part of your post, Est 74)... Everyone here wants to see Dyami Brown develop and a lot of us think he can and have a role here even with a WR selection.

A name I don't see talked about that I LOVED last year coming out is Amari Rodgers for Green Bay. I think he is going to make an impact for them this year. I'd still go WR with one of their picks but a Christian Watson or Jahan Dotson + Rodgers + Cobb is a high potential low floor receiver group. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I don't really understand that. He has dominated college football, has set the TD record at a school that has produced a lot of good WRs recently, is a senior that is the same age as most juniors (e.g. Garrett Wilson). He started early in his career even though he was only a three-star recruit. We know that he is super professional, a hard-worker. He runs awesome routes, has great hands and a great ability to track the deep ball.

I wouldn't mind any of Stingley, Hamilton, Sauce or Wilson either but if we pick Olave I'd be very happy.

I think it's because Olave lacks much upside. At least that's my opinion. He's a smooth athlete, fast, runs good routes, has good hands, really good at finding soft spots in zone.

But he's not really explosive or twitchy so his breaks in and out of his routes aren't very sharp which didn't hurt him too much in college but will be a hindrance in the NFL. He's also not physical and almost always goes down on 1st contact so if there's someone around him he basically has zero YAC ability.

I think he'll be a solid NFL receiver, decent #2, but I don't think he'll be anything special. With an 11th overall pick I'd prefer a guy who I think at least has the upside to be special. That's why I prefer Wilson and London over him. Williams is ultra talented but the knee thing is a pretty big worry for me.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, mistertim said:

I think it's because he lacks much upside. At least that's my opinion. He's a smooth athlete, fast, runs good routes, has good hands. But he's not really explosive or twitchy so his breaks in and out of his routes aren't very sharp which didn't hurt him too much in college but will be a hindrance in the NFL. He's also not physical and almost always goes down on 1st contact so if there's someone around him he basically has zero YAC ability.

I think he'll be a solid NFL receiver, decent #2, but I don't think he'll be anything special. With an 11th overall pick I'd prefer a guy who I think at least has the upside to be special. That's why I prefer Wilson and London over him. Williams is ultra talented but the knee thing is a pretty big worry for me.

That's it completely. 

He is going to get decent production, probably stay healthy due to his aversion to contact, get open and make a few plays. But on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest he is a 8 ceiling 5 floor guy.

London is a 9 ceiling 4 floor guy. Williams is a 10 ceiling 3 floor guy. Wilson is a 9 ceiling 4 floor guy. Little more complicated than that, but people don't love Olave at 11 because his value is a few steps back.

I'd prefer Dotson in that flavor of receiver of the two but I couldn't be mad at Olave. Just... it's very ho hum. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Troy Andersen at #47? Might be a bit too high for him, but again if he's a hit and highly rated on the board I'm okay with it. I would prefer to trade back a bit in the late 2nd or early 3rd. I think that's his sweet spot and you could add a 3rd or 4th in that range if you can move back. 

Yeah but you want to trade back from our trade backs trade backs trade backs. You love a trade back or 40.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kiper's final mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33816306/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-final-predictions-first-32-picks-including-quarterback-surprise-top-10-shuffle

_end_rule.pngjax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

Travon Walker, DE, Georgia

This pick has been leaning in this direction for the past week. The Jaguars must prefer what Walker could be over what Aidan Hutchinson already is (and I think Hutchinson will get even better). Walker is my ninth-ranked prospect. It would be extremely hard for me to take a guy who had 9.5 sacks, 13 tackles for loss and one forced fumble -- in his entire three-year college career.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Detroit Lions

Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan

We're going to be talking about Walker vs. Hutchinson for years to come. On my board, Hutchinson is the best prospect in this class. He dominated games in college, and he's going to be a star for the Lions.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Houston Texans

Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

I've heard the talk about the Texans liking cornerback Derek Stingley Jr., but this is just too high for him. Ekwonu is a safe pick, and he could move over to the right side with Laremy Tunsil playing left tackle.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. New York Jets

Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

In this scenario, the Jets are in a great spot, with both top cornerbacks on the board and all of the wide receivers still available. Could they go corner here and then wide receiver at No. 10? Gardner has the ability to shut down one side of the field.

18hMel Kiper Jr., +3 More

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. New York Giants

Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

With two of the next three picks, the Giants have to come away with a starting right tackle. They should go ahead and take one here. Cross didn't get many chances to show off his run blocking because of the pass-heavy Mississippi State offense, but I love his potential. And he could play right tackle on the other side of Andrew Thomas.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Carolina Panthers

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

The Panthers are likely going to try to trade down because they don't have any Day 2 picks. Which team wants to trade up, though? That's the issue -- they have to find a partner in order to do so. This is too high for a quarterback, and they have a clear need at left tackle. Neal is a devastating run blocker with quick feet as a pass protector.

7. New York Giants (via CHI)

Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State

I have Kayvon Thibodeaux ranked higher than Johnson, but it's close. Johnson had 12 sacks last season, showing great bend off the edge. He'd be a great fit in Don Martindale's defense.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

I thought about Jordan Davis for the Falcons; he could be an immovable object in the middle of their defensive line. Ultimately, their wide receiver depth chart is No. 32 in the league. They have to get better. Wilson can be their No. 1 immediately.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

The Seahawks could go in a few different directions here, but Stingley just seems like a Seattle type of defensive player. He doesn't have the super long arms that Pete Carroll normally likes for defensive backs, but he is a ball hawk with great physical traits. Stingley only played in 10 games the past two seasons, but I'd bet on his talent.

10. New York Jets (via SEA)

Drake London, WR, USC

The Jets get their big red zone target for Zach Wilson in the 6-foot-4 London. This is the best-case scenario for general manager Joe Douglas, who adds a top corner and top receiver to an ascending roster.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. Washington Commanders

Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

If Washington wants to put Carson Wentz in a position to succeed, it could take Olave and pair him with another Ohio State receiver in Terry McLaurin. The Commanders' defense has a lot of young talent, but the offense is lacking. Olave is great after the catch.

Olave is great after the catch?  Since when.  i like him but he's not a YAC guy. 

McShay's mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33816306/nfl-mock-draft-2022-mel-kiper-final-predictions-first-32-picks-including-quarterback-surprise-top-10-shuffle

_end_rule.pngjax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

Travon Walker, DE, Georgia

As I said on Monday, signs are now strongly pointing to Walker as the top pick. He is versatile, explosive and powerful, and he'd team up with Josh Allen to form a solid edge-rush pairing for new coach Doug Pederson. Michigan edge rusher Aidan Hutchinson -- who was long rumored to be the guy here -- has the production résumé, but Jacksonville is intrigued by Walker's upside and traits. And while taking an offensive tackle isn't out of the question, Wednesday's three-year extension for Cam Robinson certainly made the Jags' direction here much more clear.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Detroit Lions

Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan

Detroit might turn in the draft card before commissioner Roger Goodell is even finished reading Walker's name. Landing Hutchinson would be a big win for general manager Brad Holmes and the rebuilding Lions. Hutchinson is my No. 1 overall prospect and would immediately be a leader on the Detroit defense. And he could top the team in sacks as a rookie thanks to his relentless and technically sound approach to rushing the passer.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Houston Texans

Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

In true Las Vegas fashion, Houston is keeping its cards close to its vest. I could see Oregon edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux or NC State tackle Ikem Ekwonu here, but I've heard the Texans are high on Stingley, and they could certainly use a cornerback with his ball skills and massive upside. There is a wide range of opinions about Stingley's game and what he will bring to the NFL, but the ceiling is undeniable. He was one of the best players in the country as a freshman in 2019.

4. New York Jets

Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

The Jets are going to be playing the value game here, with another pick lined up at No. 10. Cincinnati cornerback Ahmad Gardner would be tempting if things fall this way, and I wouldn't rule out the Jets addressing the edge rush concern now rather than later. But Ekwonu is a mauler who would immediately upgrade the offensive line, and he has the versatility to play all over.

5. New York Giants

Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

I've heard the Giants and the Panthers both love Cross, who is the best pure pass-protector in the entire class. So New York will likely want to first address the line and land its guy ahead of Carolina before looking at other needs at No. 7. Pairing Cross with Andrew Thomas gives the Giants a solid duo, helping put Daniel Jones in the best possible position to succeed in a make-or-break season for the fourth-year quarterback.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Carolina Panthers

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

Neal is nearly impossible to get around in pass protection, and he takes great angles in the run game, which would help spring ball carrier Christian McCaffrey. The Panthers gave up 52 sacks last season, and while I like what they did on the interior in free agency, offensive tackle is still a need. Quarterback is, of course, also a consideration, but it's just too early, and it doesn't matter who is under center if the team can't keep him upright.

7. New York Giants (via CHI)

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

It's not often that a team gets good value this high on the board, but the chance to add a true shutdown cornerback might be enough for the Giants to skip out on the pass rush for the time being. And remember, it's possible that cornerback could become the bigger of the two needs if the team's salary-cap concerns forces it to move on from James Bradberry. The Giants can pop the champagne early and celebrate adding two high-level young starters before the sun even sets in Las Vegas.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

Atlanta would think long and hard about a wide receiver here -- Ohio State's Garrett Wilson or Southern California's Drake London would be the two to watch -- but it would probably jump at the chance to stop Thibodeaux's slide down the top 10. The Falcons' 18 sacks were No. 32 in the NFL last season -- 11 clear of the second-worst team -- and Thibodeaux explodes off the line. Atlanta can concentrate on wideout in Round 2 with a deep pass-catching group.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State

The drop-off at edge rusher after Johnson is steep, and all of the wide receivers are still on the board, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle trade out of this pick. But if the Seahawks can't find a dance partner or opt to stay home, Johnson's high-rev motor, first-step quickness and powerful hands would spark their pass rush. Others to watch, should they fall, include Stingley, Thibodeaux and the top three tackles.

10. New York Jets (via SEA)

Garrett Wilson, WR, Georgia

The cornerback and edge rusher groups each took an early hit, but the wide receiver class remained untouched through nine picks. So it's a pretty easy move here. Wilson has elite body control and great speed, which would provide quarterback Zach Wilson with a trusty target in the vertical and red zone games. With Ekwonu blocking and plenty of other playmakers already in place, the Jets can look to the Wilson-to-Wilson connection for Year 1 fireworks. As for defensive needs, remember that the Jets have two more picks inside the top 40.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. Washington Commanders

Drake London, WR, USC

Terry McLaurin had 1,053 receiving yards last season, but no other Washington player broke 400. I love London's ability to box out defenders and come down with tough contested catches, and new Commanders quarterback Carson Wentz would too.

Damn. Giants get Cross and Sauce in that mock. Disgusting.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah but you want to trade back from our trade backs trade backs trade backs. You love a trade back or 40.

I've always loved picks. I dream for a day when we have a draft board set up like the Jets, Giants, Packers or Chiefs. All the 2nd rounders man, give them to me. Even in the days of old when I would play Madden, I'd just accumulate picks and build a young stud team ... I'd never play in free agency.

Anyway, that said, we DO need picks this year. Sure, I guess 1/2/4/6/7/7 could bring in some nice piece, I just crave another 3rd or two, and I'll stop at no scenario that doesn't get that for us.

In a perfect world we come out of the first 4 rounds with a WR, LB/S, RB, OT ... I like some TEs late, as well as RBs, so not married to RB having to be in that grouping, but would be nice. I just can't see a world where we can get those positions without adding at least 1 more pick. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Different note: People think Buffalo is going to go corner from what I hear.

But, while I see that as a possibility, especially if Booth/McCreary are there... I think they are a VERY serious threat to take Breece Hall.

• Thumb up 2

Bottom line, limited number of picks aside, if we have few players with first round grades, say 16, just make sure you bloody pick one at #11 if that’s where we sit. 

I don’t want someone at 20 with a second round grade. That’s the balance they must find.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But, while I see that as a possibility, especially if Booth/McCreary are there... I think they are a VERY serious threat to take Breece Hall.

They need to something at RB to replace JD who they lost in free agency:ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Bottom line, limited number of picks aside, if we have few players with first round grades, say 16, just make sure you bloody pick one at #11 if that’s where we sit. 

I don’t want someone at 20 with a second round grade. That’s the balance they must find.

If I stretch it, I think there's 20ish first round capable players. Give or take.

Probably more like 16-17.

If you include Hall/Walker that's 22 in a stretch. But I'm not sure a running back that isn't a freak of nature can be included in that number because of how teams grade RBs and value.

So I agree. Get a first rounder in the first. Please. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I've always loved picks. I dream for a day when we have a draft board set up like the Jets, Giants, Packers or Chiefs. All the 2nd rounders man, give them to me. Even in the days of old when I would play Madden, I'd just accumulate picks and build a young stud team ... I'd never play in free agency.

Anyway, that said, we DO need picks this year. Sure, I guess 1/2/4/6/7/7 could bring in some nice piece, I just crave another 3rd or two, and I'll stop at no scenario that doesn't get that for us.

Sure, lots of picks are nice. But let's also not pretend like most 3rd rounders do much in the NFL. Guys like Terry are an anomaly.

If we moved down from 11 to pick up a 3rd and in the process missed out on an elite talent while picking up a decent one who basically becomes an "ok" NFL player and another 3rd, and that 3rd ends up not doing much of anything (which is statistically way more likely than him being great) then was it worth it to miss out on the elite talent? That's pretty much exactly how we got Kerrigan instead of Watt.

I'm not saying "don't trade back!", I'm saying don't trade back just for the sake of trading back. If there's nobody on your board who you have rated that high or as worthy of a top 10 pick, then by all means see if you can find a trade partner. But if there's a guy you really value there, just pick him at 11 and don't try to get cute.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Panninho said:

Thought we might have a chance but recent reports see him going as high as 2nd overall.

When even NFL cornerbacks are in awe...

I really do hope someone takes him before 11. He's had one good year followed by a cavalcade of injuries and our track record of drafting injured players sucks. And yes, I know I'm on record as hoping we pick Jameson Williams if we go WR so my credibility is zero, but I'm just going to have to own that.😬

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Kiper is often dead wrong on his predictions for where guys will go and what impact they will have. I take any of his mocks with a HUGE grain of salt.

I don't know what this guy is talking about. Kiper has a legendary record and is almost certainly followed by many GMs across the league. They know they can take his list, avoid players he rates highly and it's almost a lock they'll avoid a bust. Besides, he's still got great hair and wears glasses that practically yell "Hey, I'm the smartest guy in the room!!!!!"

Edited by The Sisko

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

WGR is willing that pick (Breece Hall) into existence.

Wash is going to come out with good picks in the first 2 rounds. They just won’t be the ones that everyone specifically wants. A lot of those guys are taken just before the teams 2nd pick, every draft.

3 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

WGR is willing that pick (Breece Hall) into existence.

Wash is going to come out with good picks in the first 2 rounds. They just won’t be the ones that everyone specifically wants. A lot of those guys are taken just before the teams 2nd pick, every draft.

Is there talk about Hall on WGR? I don’t listen. I’ve heard a mention on the “Sports Bar” with Danger and Battaglia but not a ton of buzz around it. One of them wants them to take Lloyd. The other guy gave him a dirty look you could feel through the radio :ols:

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Sure, lots of picks are nice. But let's also not pretend like most 3rd rounders do much in the NFL. Guys like Terry are an anomaly.

If we moved down from 11 to pick up a 3rd and in the process missed out on an elite talent while picking up a decent one who basically becomes an "ok" NFL player and another 3rd, and that 3rd ends up not doing much of anything (which is statistically way more likely than him being great) then was it worth it to miss out on the elite talent? That's pretty much exactly how we got Kerrigan instead of Watt.

I'm not saying "don't trade back!", I'm saying don't trade back just for the sake of trading back. If there's nobody on your board who you have rated that high or as worthy of a top 10 pick, then by all means see if you can find a trade partner. But if there's a guy you really value there, just pick him at 11 and don't try to get cute.

This whole I’m okay with Olive if we draft him 5 slots lower is so freaking ridiculous to me. A round earlier… that’s a reach. 5-10 slots, that’s not even worth a discussion. If he’s your guy, draft him. 

Value is measured more by on field contribution than where a guy was drafted.

Just now, KDawg said:

Is there talk about Hall on WGR? I don’t listen. I’ve heard a mention on the “Sports Bar” with Danger and Battaglia but not a ton of buzz around it. One of them wants them to take Lloyd. The other guy gave him a dirty look you could feel through the radio :ols:

The Bills need a workhorse back to take some load off Allen running.

It started with CB, but now it’s all Hall.

You guys thinking Wash going to get a crack at Walker or Hall in the 2nd round are going to be disappointed.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Die Hard said:

This whole I’m okay with Olive if we draft him 5 slots lower is so freaking ridiculous to me. A round earlier… that’s a reach. 5-10 slots, that’s not even worth a discussion. If he’s your guy, draft him. 

Value is measured more by on field contribution than where a guy was drafted.

I don't know. I think it makes sense both ways.

People are okay with Olave at 11 because they'd prefer you trade back to get him. But if there is no trade back option you have to take the guy highest on your board in that instance at the pick you have. 

But that's why people are okay with it. Well, one of the reasons.

I'd prefer Jahan Dotson over Olave in that scenario. But I still like Olave. As long as Wilson/London/Williams aren't on the board. Though I think they'd take Olave over Wilson. Which would be a touch frustrating but I can live with it. Olave will be a good pro. Could do much worse. Like a center (/poke Steve) :ols:

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

You guys thinking Wash going to get a crack at Walker or Hall in the 2nd round are going to be disappointed.

Yeah, I don't think it's happening. I never really did to be honest. I mentioned a month or so back that in a trade back scenario to the late first I'd take the RB there. Because it's beyond unlikely either will be there.

And I think we're primed to miss on Robinson and Pearce, too, based on current picks.