Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I feel like this is something where stats can be a bit misleading. I don't think anyone would really say that Fitz is better than most of those guys (though he's a better actual passer than Jackson IMO).

Those stats are ridiculously misleading considering 3 out of the 4 quarterbacks mentioned have started 20-21 more games than Fitzpatrick over that three year span.  

17 hours ago, mistertim said:

I feel like this is something where stats can be a bit misleading. I don't think anyone would really say that Fitz is better than most of those guys (though he's a better actual passer than Jackson IMO).

13 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Those stats are ridiculously misleading considering 3 out of the 4 quarterbacks mentioned have started 20-21 more games than Fitzpatrick over that three year span.  

Ridiculously misleading?...Hardly.

To put the stats in better context, you at least need to compare number of pass attempts over that time span, not number of games started. 

So starting with the comparison to Brady - completion percentage:

Over the last three seasons Brady had a completion percentage of 64%, while Fitz had a completion percentage of 65% (rounding both). But Brady threw 778 more passes over that time span than Fitz. So for Fitz to drop to, say, a 63% completion rate (right now he's 1% higher than Brady so I have him 1% below Brady for this exercise), he would have to complete no more than 472 of the additional 778 passes he would need to throw...that comes to a completion percentage of 60.7% on those additional throws.

Over the last 3 years, though, there have only been 7 games out of 32 played (not started, but played in) where Fitz had a completion percentage of less than 60%, and he didn't have any last year. So I would say that the likelihood of Fitz only completing 60% of those additional 778 pass attempts is pretty low. So I don't consider that comparison very misleading at all, nonetheless ridiculously misleading.

However, if there is a misleading aspect to this one particular comparison, it's that Brady pretty much leads the league in highest percentage of pass attempts that are thrown away, while Fitz pretty much leads the league in lowest percentage of pass attempts that are thrown away.

The comparison to Russell Wilson is closer to misleading - Yards per attempt:

Wilson threw 486 more pass attempts than Fitz, and ended up with 7.84 ypa compared to Fitz's 7.87 ypa. That .03 extra yards per attempt makes them pretty much tied in my opinion. However, for Fitz to drop to, say, 7.8 ypa (same reasoning as above) he would have to average no more than 7.66 ypa over those additional 486 pass attempts. However, however (lol), Fitz has averaged less than that in 15 our of 32 games he's played in over the last 3 years...so that seems like it could be realistic that he could drop below Wilson with the same amount of pass attempts.

As for the comparison to Prescott - TD percentage:

This one isn't even close to being misleading in any way. Prescott has thrown 329 more passes than Fitz, and threw 61 TDs over the last 3 years. Fitz has thrown 50 TDs over that same time span. You see where this is going lol..

Dak's TD% over the last three seasons is 4.54%, as where Fitz's TD% is 4.93. In order for Fitz's TD% to be at, say, 4.1% (once again using the percentage difference that exists now, just in the opposite direction), Fitz would have to throw no more than 5 TDs in his additional 329 attempts...that's an abysmal TD percentage of 1.52% over those additional passes. I can't think of a scenario in which Fitz's TD% drops all the way down to a 1.5% when throwing those additional 300 pass attempts. So this comparison most definitely does not qualify as misleading in any way.

The last comparison with Watson - Total QBR:

I really don't know how to break down total QBR lol...I think it's based on number of plays moreso than number of pass attempts. Watson threw 529 more passes than Fitz. Not gonna go and figure out how many more QBR-plays Watson has than Fitz.

Only thing I do know is:

2018 QBR

Watson 61.8

Fitzpatrick 61.0

2019 QBR

Watson 70.5

Fitzpatrick 68.3

2020 QBR

Watson 70.5

Fitzpatrick 76.9

So there ya go...I don't find the stats to be ridiculously misleading at all. I think trying to draw a comparison overall to those four QBs based n these stats would be foolish, though. Although it would be interesting to see how many QBs rank higher than these specific QBs in each of those specific areas. If the list is short--say, only seven QBs in the league rank higher than these four QBs in these specific areas--then maybe doing so is harder than we think (emphasis on "maybe" lol). However, if 24 QBs rank higher than those 4 specific QBs in those 4 specific categories, then the fact that Fitz is one of those 24 is "meh"...

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Ridiculously misleading?...Hardly.

Mitchell Trubisky has a higher completion percentage than Brady.  Ryan Tannehill had more yards per attempt than Russell Wilson.  Gardner Minshew has a higher TD% than Dak Prescott.  QBR, as you noted, is unfair to compare because of less games being played.  

Season averages over the last 3 seasons:

Brady:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Watson:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsDe00.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Wilson:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Prescott:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Fitzpatrick:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Goff:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoffJa00.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Trubisky:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrubMi00.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Carr:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm#2018-2020-sum:passing

Fitzpatrick is closer to Goff, Carr, and Trubisky, than he is Brady, Watson, Wilson, and Prescott.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Question is how long will he be the starter remains to be seen there?! He could be playing for every single team.

Or he could be playing to remain in DC. If we go into the playoffs again we are not going to get a high pick next year for a QB. Fitz will be back next year if that happens. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, zskins said:

Or he could be playing to remain in DC. If we go into the playoffs again we are not going to get a high pick next year for a QB. Fitz will be back next year if that happens. 

I say odds are he starts out well but then reverts to his usual form and gets benched. Taylor finishes the season if healthy or we will see Kyle also.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I say odds are he starts out well but then reverts to his usual form and gets benched. Taylor finishes the season if healthy or we will see Kyle also.

I think Fitz would probably have to play poorly over an extended period of time to get yanked. One stinker game won't do it. Fitz still has bad games but over the past few seasons his Fitztragic streaks haven't been as long as in the past.

• Like 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick sees opportunity with Washington as 'best situation' he's ever been in

"This is the best situation I've ever been in or the best situation that I've ever gone into as the guy," Fitzpatrick said during an appearance on the ESPN Daily podcast. "I signed to be the starter in Houston, I signed to be the starter in Miami, so this is now the third team that I've signed to come in and be the starter for. I just feel like the way that I'm playing the last four years, kind of the progression of my career, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense that 17 years in, physically, I feel great, mentally, emotionally, I'm in the right spot. I just think I am set up for success this year and really looking forward to it."

"The other major point in my career when there was a transition was after my year in 2016 with the Jets, which was miserable and the first time in my life I hated football and just didn't want to play anymore," Fitzpatrick recalled. "Since then, it's almost like I've been playing on borrowed time. The last four I've really been able to enjoy. Hopefully everybody has been able to see that for me on the field, from some of the goofy stuff and the interviews. My personality has really come out the last four."

More here: https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-washington-football-team-opportunity-best-situation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick sees opportunity with Washington as 'best situation' he's ever been in

"This is the best situation I've ever been in or the best situation that I've ever gone into as the guy," Fitzpatrick said during an appearance on the ESPN Daily podcast. "I signed to be the starter in Houston, I signed to be the starter in Miami, so this is now the third team that I've signed to come in and be the starter for. I just feel like the way that I'm playing the last four years, kind of the progression of my career, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense that 17 years in, physically, I feel great, mentally, emotionally, I'm in the right spot. I just think I am set up for success this year and really looking forward to it."

"The other major point in my career when there was a transition was after my year in 2016 with the Jets, which was miserable and the first time in my life I hated football and just didn't want to play anymore," Fitzpatrick recalled. "Since then, it's almost like I've been playing on borrowed time. The last four I've really been able to enjoy. Hopefully everybody has been able to see that for me on the field, from some of the goofy stuff and the interviews. My personality has really come out the last four."

More here: https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-washington-football-team-opportunity-best-situation

He had a surprising season in 2015 with the Jets.  Anyone know what he's talking about in 2016?  Organizational dysfunction or something?

19 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He had a surprising season in 2015 with the Jets.  Anyone know what he's talking about in 2016?  Organizational dysfunction or something?

Just read about his 2016 year on wiki. You will see why he said that. 

I know nothing but despair when it comes to this team, and the QB position in particular.  But I just can’t shake the feeling that Fitz is going to ball out and make this a really fun season.  No stats or deep analysis to back that up.  Haven’t had that positive vibe going into a season in a while, hope I’m right.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I know nothing but despair when it comes to this team, and the QB position in particular.  But I just can’t shake the feeling that Fitz is going to ball out and make this a really fun season.  No stats or deep analysis to back that up.  Haven’t had that positive vibe going into a season in a while, hope I’m right.

Yup. On paper right now Fitz has almost the perfect team he has ever been on. If our D does its stuff like last year and the O finally click under one QB instead of the inconstancy of last year. I think it will be a great year for Fitz and the team. No reason they can't go deep into the playoffs, barring any injuries of course. 

• Like 2

Yeah, put me firmly in the optimistic camp as well.

We went 7-9 last year, which obviously wasn't that good, but when you take into account the terrible QB play we had to endure then I think we overachieved. You only have to look at those brilliant stat graphs that SIP has posted, and note where Haskins and Smith were in relation to Fitz to see how much of an upgrade he really is.

I don't like blaming injuries too much for anything, but we were really hit hard by the injury bug the past two seasons, surely we're due a relatively injury-free year sooner or later. If the defense continues to improve and the injury bug leaves us alone, then I think Fitz can thrive here and it could be a really special year.

So, anyone else want some of this Kool-Aid?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm so ready for a QB who's willing to at least stretch the field vertically.  We haven't had that since Kirk left town. 

I honestly don't care if Fitzy throws 30 TDs and 30 INTs.  Just press the ball down the Goddamn field so every throw isn't 5 yards within the LOS. 

I think Fitzy is going to be better than anything we've seen in a while.  Even if that's not great overall, it's going to just be better.

My prediction is he plays all 17 games, throws for 4,500 yards, 27 TDs and 19 INTs. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Wait for it....

Ryan Fitzpatrick speaks for all of us.  That rhyme was cringe-worthy. You could hear it in the voices of the teammates roped into participating.  Something had to be said and Fitz handled it like a champ.

• Haha 3

Ryan listed as one of the most overrated QBs in the NFL. That is pretty amusing since almost everyone outside Washington fans are saying Fitz is not that good. SO if he is overrated then he must be the worst QB in the history of the game - Fitz covered at about the 6:14 mark if you want to jump directly to him.

FWIW I think some of the others are not good choices. But i posted it more for entertainment. 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Ryan listed as one of the most overrated QBs in the NFL. That is pretty amusing since almost everyone outside Washington fans are saying Fitz is not that good. SO if he is overrated then he must be the worst QB in the history of the game - Fitz covered at about the 6:14 mark if you want to jump directly to him.

FWIW I think some of the others are not good choices. But i posted it more for entertainment. 

Actually not everyone. There are still a lot who like Fitz....but after they praise him they bring up his INT stats and then say but he is fun to watch though. I still think in Washington he will make the difference and have the talent that he has never had (except for when he was on the Jets). I just can't wait for him to light it up out there this year. Hopefully he doesn't prove me wrong. 

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Actually not everyone. There are still a lot who like Fitz....but after they praise him they bring up his INT stats and then say but he is fun to watch though. I still think in Washington he will make the difference and have the talent that he has never had (except for when he was on the Jets). I just can't wait for him to light it up out there this year. Hopefully he doesn't prove me wrong. 

Actually I said not everyone  - as most everyone Actually means not everyone just from the other angle 🙂  

People are really sleeping on several things about Fitz - he has been better in virtually every meaningful category the last 3 yrs than the his career before. He has the most complete team behind him including D and STs except maybe Miami but they needed to see Tua so even though he was playing well they took him out. But he definitely has potentially one of the most complete teams on offense he has had yet. Let's see how he uses it. 

My point about the video was that they label him overrated when I have yet to find anyone who thinks he is a top tier QB. He can be above average but that does not make him great or elite. So if most agree he is from just below average to just above average, how do they get one of the most underrated unless they believe he is complete trash. 

We will see. It could all be a mirage and he could stink the place up. But I do not see it. And when you compare to last year, he just has to be somewhere around average and this team could be special - or at least good enough to win 9 - 11 games. That is only 2 to 4 more victoires with an additional game to play. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2