Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buzzfeed: A Father-To-Be Died In An Explosion Caused By A Gender-Reveal Device

Cooked Crack

Christopher Pekny, a 28-year-old father-to-be from New York, died after a device he was building for his child's gender-reveal party exploded, authorities said.

The New York State Police responded to reports of an explosion at a residence in the town of Liberty at 11:55 a.m. on Sunday. Authorities said that the gender-reveal device that Pekny was building exploded, killing him and injuring his 27-year-old brother, Michael Pekny.

The state police and its bomb disposal unit are investigating the incident.

Authorities did not specify what kind of device Pekny was building for the party. A New York State Police spokesperson told BuzzFeed News on Monday, "Currently there are no charges to be filed."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/gender-reveal-death-explosion

It's time to come together as a society and cancel gender reveal parties.

• Sad 2

This is truly tragic. I get no one to blame but the person. But now a child will be without a father and wife without a husband and family without a loved one over something like this. 

Hopefully this will put a damper on trying to out do others on the GR stunts. It's one thing to have a banner or cake or something. So no reason to stop altogether. But when you start doing things that risk people's lives it's clearly too far. 

• Like 4

That’s terrible.  Poor kid is never going to meet the man that was apparently excited to be a father.

I don’t understand gender reveal parties.  There’s already a baby shower, there’s no need for another party.  We just told people we were having a girl.  Need need for pyrotechnics and a light show.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Destino said:

That’s terrible.  Poor kid is never going to meet the man that was apparently excited to be a father.

I don’t understand gender reveal parties.  There’s already a baby shower, there’s no need for another party.  We just told people we were having a girl.  Need need for pyrotechnics and a light show.  

The origin is to include the men since the baby shower is traditionally for jsut the women. SOme people have them and a baby shower some have them instead. At least that is my understanding. 

Do what you want - but again when it starts risking lives it has clearly gone too far.  

• Like 1

How many times do we have to have these kind of things happen for people to stop?  No one should be dying over launching blue or pink colors into the air.  For example like if I wanted to get creative with my future SO maybe we’re both golfers so let’s tee up a fake golf ball with color and whack it to be make it burst into color.   We don’t need a giant exploding golf ball. 

21 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Here's a suggestion.  Just bake a cake that's blue or pink inside.  Biggest danger is early-onset diabetes. Same result, no explosions involved. And, hey! there's cake.

Yeah, but my neighbor from across the street won't be able to see a cake. This is America. Everything got to be big.

35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The origin is to include the men since the baby shower is traditionally for jsut the women. SOme people have them and a baby shower some have them instead. At least that is my understanding. 

Do what you want - but again when it starts risking lives it has clearly gone too far.  

I don't know of a single man who gives a **** about being part of a baby shower.  The less things I'm invited to, the better.  The less events I have to throw, the better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Gender reveals are a stupid fad and stupid fads are stupid. But damn bro

You say they're stupid, but I'm taking it to the next level.

I'm going to wingsuit over an active volcano, and if my parachute deploys over my sulfurous doom, it'll be pink or blue.

• Haha 2

I'm not against gender reveal parties.  They are a celebration of a happy event, and God knows we need that in our lives these days.  I am against yahoos taking it too far with explosives, heavy machinery, V-6 engines, squealing tires, firearms, or fire. 

Nobody should die planning or attending a party to find out if a baby is a boy or  a girl.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know of a single man who gives a **** about being part of a baby shower.  The less things I'm invited to, the better.  The less events I have to throw, the better.

African baby showers are basically parties men are invited to, at least Nigeria.  We did a drive-thru one instead, bring your gift, wear your mask, and racked up.

16 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

You say they're stupid, but I'm taking it to the next level.

I'm going to wingsuit over an active volcano, and if my parachute deploys over my sulfurous doom, it'll be pink or blue.

I will tell your story 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Here's a suggestion.  Just bake a cake that's blue or pink inside.  Biggest danger is early-onset diabetes. Same result, no explosions involved. And, hey! there's cake.

This is actually the origin story of gender reveal parties. The lady who supposedly did the first one ever, used cupcakes or cake?? to reveal it. 

The logical endpoint for every new fad in America is blowing things up. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

African baby showers are basically parties men are invited to, at least Nigeria.  We did a drive-thru one instead, bring your gift, wear your mask, and racked up.

Jack and Jill baby showers are more common then you think...

• Like 1