Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

57 minutes ago, method man said:

Given how historically loaded WR is in the draft, I would not sign a FA unless it is for a 1 or 2 year deal at a mid 7 figure price max. I genuinely do think that we can find contributors on the cheap in Day 2 and early Day 3 for both outside and the slot

Somewhat agree. But, I think the same was being said about last year's class as well, and we didn't draft anyone until Round 4. And AGG was defniitely someone I had penciled in as an intriguing prospect, but we see what he (albeit injured) provided us in 2020 ... which was zippy.

We need to bring in a WR with some experience that we can lean on even if as a WR2 to Terry's WR1. I don't want any of the big fish. But someone like Samuel makes a ton of sense given his ties to this FO. I think you gotta go WR in the draft AND in FA. One in each.

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

PFF updated their Top 50 Free Agent projections. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-landing-spots-pffs-top-50-free-agents

WFT projections:

RG Scherff on a 4 year, $60m extension

OT Okung on a 3 year, $50m deal

QB Newton on a 1 year, $5m deal

They have Curtis Samuel signing with NYG for 3 years and $28m, Corey Davis on 3 years, $27m with Baltimore

Most of the other big-name guys are tagged or extended in-house. They admit the Okung signing would be very risky given age and recent performance but cite Marty Hurney being the guy who traded for him in Carolina.

Gotta think if we sign any OT from Carolina because of Hurney, it would be Taylor Moton (who they have signing a 5 year, $82m deal with Carolina).

Either way, no way we pay Okung $16m for 3 years when we have Lucas on a $2m deal in 2021.

Also said Newton would be brought in as a veteran to compete with Heinecke for the starting job.

I would be disappointed if the top part of free agency played out this way.  I understand it's only PFF's top 50 free agents listed but it would be very disappointing if a lot of these guys hit the market and we don't end up with any of them.  Lavonte David resigning with the Bucs is likely to happen, but missing on all the coveted free safeties despite a few hitting the open market (Anthony Harris and Marcus Williams specifically) would be very disappointing.  We also need some additional weapons on offense and while it may not be worth it to get into a bidding war for some of the players being pushed as the top guys, Curtis Samuel and Gerald Everett are both young talented players who sign (in these projections) modest contracts.  While I'm not wedded to those particular players, missing out on the other big names as well as these guys, who could both do great things in our offense, would be frustrating.  Add to that the Okung contract when the draft is strong with offensive tackle talent and I would be very disappointed.  

This team doesn't need much to take a step forward but it does need significant upgrades at linebacker, free safety, and wide receiver.  Those are the positions where its worth spending more for better talent this offseason.  We can shop in the discounted JAG section for the remaining free agents but those three positions are where this team needs to land quality players.  

@Long Time Fan I agree. I would actually scrap the Okung deal (for obvious reasons) and instead direct that $$ to signing Samuel and Everett.

FWIW, I don't think we should get our hopes up for a high-end FS. At $12-15m a year, Williams, Maye, Harris, Simmons ... at least those that aren't tagged ... that's really rich for a team that already has $15m APY invested in a SS that isn't even really playing SS for us going forward.

I think we fit more the mold of a veteran reclamation there ... or just roll with Reaves at FS, since he played pretty damn well down the stretch.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Long Time Fan I agree. I would actually scrap the Okung deal (for obvious reasons) and instead direct that $$ to signing Samuel and Everett.

FWIW, I don't think we should get our hopes up for a high-end FS. At $12-15m a year, Williams, Maye, Harris, Simmons ... at least those that aren't tagged ... that's really rich for a team that already has $15m APY invested in a SS that isn't even really playing SS for us going forward.

I think we fit more the mold of a veteran reclamation there ... or just roll with Reaves at FS, since he played pretty damn well down the stretch.

Fair enough.  But I think we can get out of Landon Collins' contract next offseason.  We will take a big cap hit (like $9.5 million) but it will clear up a lot of space to shift some of that money over to free safety for the remaining years of a Williams, Maye, Harris, Simmons contract.  But you may be right that the team wants to go the reclamation route.  

I also agree that we need to walk away with two potential upgrades at wide receiver this offseason - preferably one as a free agent and one as a draft pick.  The draft may be loaded at wide receiver but its still a crap shoot and picking up a solid WR2 in free agency would be wise.  I hope they do the same at linebacker and pick up one in free agency and one in the draft.  

• Like 1

Rivera made a point of saying we had 4 of our 5 OL starters under contract, and it would be nice to add that 5th referring to Scherff, I think they role with the same group and Charles becomes the wildcard on that left side. Perhaps if we are faced with OT being clear BPA when we draft, that may change. But I don’t see a big FA investment there really. Could be wrong though.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera made a point of saying we had 4 of our 5 OL starters under contract, and it would be nice to add that 5th referring to Scherff, I think they role with the same group and Charles becomes the wildcard on that left side. Perhaps if we are faced with OT being clear BPA when we draft, that may change. But I don’t see a big FA investment there really. Could be wrong though.

Agreed. With this draft class, there may very well be an OT who makes sense to be picked. But with the starters we have and the potential of Charles, someone guessing we are going to spend huge money on an injury-prone soon to be 33 year old LT just comes across as not understanding our team and it's needs at all.

• Like 3

I don't think Horn lasts to 19 honestly.  I figure his floor is AZ at 16.  They have MAJOR needs at CB (Peterson is going to get, Alford has been out for the year the last two seasons).  SF at 12 has their entire secondary as FA.  

• Like 1

Going back and rewatching season highlights, I was pleasantly surprised with how Cam Sims performed, especially in games where the QB situation was unsolidified. The Steelers game and the Tampa Bay games had him looking good against 2nd tier DBs.

To me that shows he put in the effort to learn the playbook.  He was frequently targeted by Smith and Heineke as a 2nd or 3rd option because he was exactly where he was supposed to be and got tons of extra yardage after the catch.

Not sure if he's topped out talent wise or if he can still reach another level, but that kind of consistency and effort towards buying into the system usually wins coaches over.  And our WR room is definitely not stacked enough to consider that kind of safety blanket dispensable.

My guess is he and Kelvin Harmon fight out for the number 3 spot next training camp, with Sims winning out due to his growth from this season.  Less flashy but more reliable. 

McLaurin and a FA will be the 1-2 punch above him (I think the FO end up nabbing TY Hilton because of the same qualities, established with alot of gametime experience under his belt).  I think JuJu, Godwin, and Robinson end up stealing the spotlight and forces Hilton to settle and accept a second tier, prove it type deal that lights a fire under him to show he's still among the elite recievers in the league.

Edited by Reaper Skins

48 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Going back and rewatching season highlights, I was pleasantly surprised with how Cam Sims performed, especially in games where the QB situation was unsolidified. The Steelers game and the Tampa Bay games had him looking good against 2nd tier DBs.

To me that shows he put in the effort to learn the playbook.  He was frequently targeted by Smith and Heineke as a 2nd or 3rd option because he was exactly where he was supposed to be and got tons of extra yardage after the catch.

Not sure if he's topped out talent wise or if he can still reach another level, but that kind of consistency and effort towards buying into the system usually wins coaches over.  And our WR room is definitely not stacked enough to consider that kind of safety blanket dispensable.

My guess is he and Kelvin Harmon fight out for the number 3 spot next training camp, with Sims winning out due to his growth from this season.  Less flashy but more reliable. 

McLaurin and a FA will be the 1-2 punch above him (I think the FO end up nabbing TY Hilton because of the same qualities, established with alot of gametime experience under his belt).  I think JuJu, Godwin, and Robinson end up stealing the spotlight and forces Hilton to settle and accept a second tier, prove it type deal that lights a fire under him to show he's still among the elite recievers in the league.

His hands are too unreliable.  He had BIG drops against Carolina and Tampa.  

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I don't think Horn lasts to 19 honestly.  I figure his floor is AZ at 16.  They have MAJOR needs at CB (Peterson is going to get, Alford has been out for the year the last two seasons).  SF at 12 has their entire secondary as FA.  

I saw that, 4 CBs all leaving for FA at the same time almost seems like someone messed up lol. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

I honestly believe you have forgotten how well Harmon catches the ball. I used to be a huge fan of Sims, but too many drops have tempered my thoughts on him. Harmon however seems to thrive on securing the ball and being a bully about it. He seems to have a good bit of Pierre Garcon in him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Wow that's great, I didn't hear this. This confidence will allow them concentrate more on weapons

I hope they are able to add  a OT early in the draft. If they do that they should be good. If not they may need to add a FA after the draft.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

I honestly believe you have forgotten how well Harmon catches the ball. I used to be a huge fan of Sims, but too many drops have tempered my thoughts on him. Harmon however seems to thrive on securing the ball and being a bully about it. He seems to have a good bit of Pierre Garcon in him.

I honestly didn't.

But he's a late round pick who has missed a full season to injury and was drafted by a previous regime.

His one season had him 30/44 with 0 tds and longest play of 30yds.

Sims just came off a year with almost identical percentage (32/48) with 1 TD and longest play of 50 yards.

Both had terrible rotating QB situations to deal with so I'd call that a coin flip.

My main point was that Sims has proven himself to the current staff, whereas Harmon has not.  For every frustrating drop, he also had lots of clutch catches that kept drives going and helped us win games.

Add in Harmon's questionable status of how he recovers from injury, and having to play catch up learning the new offense, and I think it's a safe bet to say Sims has the upper hand.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 1

Put the player aside for second.  Does anyone else feel like it's a little ridiculous that we spent the #5 pick on a guard and will now look at signing him for around 15-17M a year?

And honestly I don't think he's all that dominate.  He's not Hutchinson and for that kind of capital, you better be.  Am I crazy?  Scherff has always seemed really good but not incredible, and a little injury prone on top.  He's an all pro now but I see him more as a probowl 2nd or 3rd stinger to be honest...and at the least impactful position.  Is that worth 15m+ ??  I lean no. 

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Thanks 1

You gotta think Terry McLaurin and Allen Robinson would be a top 5 WR duo in the league pretty easily. They would definitely be in the Metcalf/Lockett range, other than that I'm not sure I can think of a duo they wouldn't be better than. If we added someone like Kyle Pitts we've just dramatically improved our offense in a single offseason and formed an extremely good group of top tier pass catchers. If Heinicke doesn't work out, or we don't get our QBotF in this offseason, we'll at least have an offense that QBs will be dying to come to. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Put the player aside for second.  Does anyone else feel like it's a little ridiculous that we spent the #5 pick on a guard and will now look at signing him for around 15-17M a year?

And honestly I don't think he's all that dominate.  He's not Hutchinson and for that kind of capital, you better be.  Am I crazy?  Scherff has always seemed really good but not incredible, and a little injury prone on top.  He's an all pro now but I see him more as a probowl 2nd or 3rd stinger to be honest...and at the least impactful position.  Is that worth 15m+ ??  I lean no. 

Despite a couple injuries and missing a handful of games yes scherff needs to stay you worry about fanning let the managers manage.