Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

16 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I suspect part of the reason that there weren't more shootings has to be because they were afraid of a massacre. The police knew they were outnumbered by a huge degree and probably suspected that many of these Trumpers were armed. Once the firing started, it could quickly get out of control. That, combined with other factors, white sympathy, Trumpers in the Capital police force, etc. probably explains it all. Frankly, I'm shocked that these 1776ers didn't initiate what Trump probably hoped they would.

I also assume that preparation and presentation, which were chosen by people well behind the lines, and before the assault, were a factor. 

The decision was made, before it happened, that the protesters would be met by a normal compliment of officers, with normal equipment and uniforms, standing behind what might as well have been sawhorses. As opposed to national guard troops wearing military armor, with armored vehicles and crew served weapons. 

And this difference altered the actions of the mob, and the cops. 

And, once the cops lost control, they were in a position where escalating the fight would have done more harm than good. 

And yes, I am surprised that not one of those officers, being overrun, didn't pull a pistol anyway, even though it might have been the wrong decision. I think the cops on the scene probably deserve props, for not giving in to an urge which I'm absolutely certain I would have been feeling. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I suspect part of the reason that there weren't more shootings has to be because they were afraid of a massacre. The police knew they were outnumbered by a huge degree and probably suspected that many of these Trumpers were armed. Once the firing started, it could quickly get out of control. That, combined with other factors, white sympathy, Trumpers in the Capital police force, etc. probably explains it all. Frankly, I'm shocked that these 1776ers didn't initiate what Trump probably hoped they would.

I've mentioned this before but I think we should also be very glad that DC doesn't allow open carry. Can you imagine if that same thing happened but 3/4 of those people were carrying rifles? One side or the other would almost certainly have started firing shots and then god only knows how much of a chain reaction that would have.

• Like 1

Prosecutors: Accused Capitol rioter from Colorado planned to flee to Switzerland

When Jeffrey Sabol returned to his Colorado home after allegedly storming the U.S. Capitol and assaulting two police officers on Jan. 6, he fried his electronic devices in the microwave, destroyed any materials he thought could be “misconstrued as anti-government,” and stashed his guns at a friend’s house, prosecutors said.

Then he traveled to Boston with plans to hop a flight to Switzerland in a plot to avoid extradition, according to court documents.

He never ended up flying to Europe. But thanks to that plan, the 51-year-old Denver-area geophysicist will stay in custody until he goes to trial on the eight misdemeanor and felony offenses he faces over his alleged role in the insurrection.

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan recently denied Sabol’s request for pretrial release, according to court documents released Wednesday, citing his actions in the Capitol as well as his alleged plan to flee the country.

“Mr. Sabol’s willingness to act violently during what he perceived to be a ‘battle’ and a fight against tyranny is extremely troubling,” Sullivan wrote in a 64-page ruling April 8. “That he acted violently against law enforcement protecting the peaceful transition of power based on a belief that the 2020 Presidential Election was stolen is also very alarming.”

Click on the link for the full article

More on the Oathkeeping rat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/guilty-plea-capitol-riot/2021/04/16/f7d5d420-9eb6-11eb-9d05-ae06f4529ece_story.html

A founding member of the Oath Keepers arrested in the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol pleaded guilty Friday and agreed to cooperate against others in the case — the first defendant to publicly flip in the sprawling domestic terrorism investigation that has led to charges against more than 410 people.

The plea comes exactly 100 days after Jon Ryan Schaffer and hundreds of other supporters of former president Donald Trump allegedly stormed the Capitol hoping to prevent Joe Biden from being confirmed as the next president. Prosecutors hope Schaffer’s plea spurs others to provide additional evidence in hopes of avoiding long prison sentences.

The plea marks a new stage in the historic investigation, as prosecutors seek to work up the chain of defendants to gather evidence and better understand the full scope of any planning and organizing of the violence — particularly among groups like the far-right Oath Keepers and the Proud Boys. Dozens of members from both groups appeared to act in concert to storm the building, prosecutors have alleged.

Peter Skinner, a former federal prosecutor, called it a “huge” development, saying such cooperation deals are “what the government needs to investigate and possibly prosecute the leaders of the organization. Clearly, they’re trying to send a strong signal to other Oath Keepers and leaders that there’s somebody in the organization that is going to be telling them everything they know about the organization.”

Schaffer, 53, a guitarist and lead songwriter for the heavy metal band Iced Earth, was charged on Friday by criminal information, a type of charging document used when a defendant waives the right to an indictment.

Schaffer appeared Friday morning before U.S. District Court Judge Amit P. Mehta, who accepted the plea, and a request for Schaffer to be free and allowed to travel while he helps the government and awaits sentencing.

Somewhere in this journalists investigation, someone (probably the perp) described his occupation not as "guitarist and songwriter" but as "guitarist and LEAD songwriter."  What a basic ****. 

• Haha 2

Christ, that's some of the most forgettable metal I've ever heard. lol

After listening to that I would usually tell him not to give up his day job but it seems his day job was being a MAGA ****kicker...so...jail it is.

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 4

Trump supporters discussed how to execute members of Congress prior to Capitol siege

Supporters of former President Donald Trump discussed executing members of Congress just weeks before the riot at the Capitol.

In discussions on TheDonald.win forum, according to a new report provided to the Washington Post, members debated the best method for building a gallows and how many nooses might be needed.

Others argued instead that a guillotine would showcase better symbolism, but lamented over the likely difficulties in transporting such a large blade.

The comments are raising serious questions about the intelligence failures of law enforcement in the lead up to the failed insurrection.

Although TheDonald.Win is no longer online, cached versions of the comments were collected in a 145-page report by the nonpartisan research group Advance Democracy.

Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI analyst and former Senate investigator, told the Post that the report shows just how central of a role the now-defunct forum played in the attack on Jan. 6.

“The website, TheDonald, played a far more central role in the January 6th Capitol insurrection than was previously known,” Jones said. “There are thousands of posts—with tens of thousands of comments—detailing plans to travel to Washington and engage in violence against the U.S. Capitol. The ultimate end goal of this violence was, on behalf of Trump, disrupt the Congress and overturn the presidential election.”

• Sad 2

Nazi sympathizer who stormed Capitol poses a threat to Jews, Justice Department says

The Justice Department said Friday that a Nazi sympathizer who stormed the US Capitol on January 6 poses a threat to Jewish residents in his native New Jersey and therefore shouldn't be released from jail.

210314165221-timothy-hale-cusanelli-nazi

The alleged Capitol rioter, Timothy Hale-Cusanelli, was a well-known Nazi sympathizer at the Navy base where he worked in New Jersey. A federal judge ordered him detained last month while he awaits trial, but he has filed new motions with the court seeking his release.

Opposing those requests, federal prosecutors told the judge that Hale-Cusanelli poses a danger to the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community in Lakewood, which is near the Navy base where he worked before his arrest.

"Defendant poses a more localized threat to the community, particularly the Hassidic community in Lakewood, New Jersey," federal prosecutors wrote in a court filing. "Defendant has demonstrated specific animosity towards the Jewish population and expressed a desire to commit violence against Jewish people."

• Like 1

Some charged with storming U.S. Capitol try to use defense that they were there to record history as journalists

The Trump supporters who stormed the U.S. Capitol in January created a trove of self-incriminating evidence, thoroughly documenting their actions and words in videos and social media posts. Now some of the camera-toting people in the crowd are claiming they were only there to record history as journalists, not to join a deadly insurrection.

It’s unlikely that any of the self-proclaimed journalists can mount a viable defense on the First Amendment’s free speech grounds, experts say. They face long odds if video captured them acting more like rioters than impartial observers. But as the internet has broadened and blurred the definition of a journalist, some appear intent on trying.

At least eight defendants charged in the Jan. 6 riot have identified themselves as a journalist or a documentary filmmaker, including three people arrested this month, according to an Associated Press review of court records in nearly 400 federal cases.

• Haha 3

I'm for executions.
Eliminate the leaders, send a message to the followers, and do not let them get to prison to solidify power / recruit. 
Hitler went to prison. He came out a lot more powerful.

the ONE thing this country cannot do under any circumstance is go light on ANY of them.  The maximum sentence available for all their individual charges should be exercised upon being found guilty, and if death is part of that list, then it goes to the top.

then expedite it like Trump did in his last few months. These people are enemies of this country, have committed treason, insurrection, and attempted to overthrow us.
As far as I'm concerned, they should no longer be considered citizens, but enemy combatants.
Each and every damn one.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

38 minutes ago, Bang said:

I'm for executions.
Eliminate the leaders, send a message to the followers, and do not let them get to prison to solidify power / recruit. 
Hitler went to prison. He came out a lot more powerful.

the ONE thing this country cannot do under any circumstance is go light on ANY of them.  The maximum sentence available for all their individual charges should be exercised upon being found guilty, and if death is part of that list, then it goes to the top.

then expedite it like Trump did in his last few months. These people are enemies of this country, have committed treason, insurrection, and attempted to overthrow us.
As far as I'm concerned, they should no longer be considered citizens, but enemy combatants.
Each and every damn one.

~Bang

I do wonder if part of the calculus here has to be that there are A LOT of white people in this country who are falling for the 'We, the persecuted....its so tough to be a white male....the government wants us replaced' thing and if you do go too hard on these people (and I mean execution style) that just serves to radicalize more of them. And since there are so many, and much of them have military/ police training, that they would pose a serious threat to the country. 

But I guess that's part of the reason you go after them. Me personally I would kill the fly with a sledge hammer. But I don't think that's what going to happen. 

Why Trump loyalists should fear the first Capitol riot confession

On Friday, we learned of the first publicly entered guilty plea from among the over 400 people charged in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. A guilty plea in such a sweeping and high-profile investigation is significant on its own. But when sealed documents in the case accidentally became visible in the federal court’s automated records system, it became clear that there is more to this plea than a defendant simply admitting his guilt.

The guilty plea contains a provision requiring the defendant Jon Ryan Schaffer — who admitted to the court that he was a “founding lifetime member” of the far-right, anti-government extremist militia group known as the Oath Keepers — to cooperate with the government. That means a long-time Oath Keepers veteran has been "flipped."

This only happens when prosecutors care more about the information a defendant can provide than about nailing him with a maximum sentence. There are at least three reasons why this guilty plea, in this investigation, from this defendant, may become the gift that keeps on giving as prosecutors seek to hold accountable those responsible for the attack on our democracy.

First, this particular defendant, who is also reportedly the front-runner of the heavy metal band “Iced Earth,” is well positioned to tell the feds a whole lot about the Oath Keepers. At least 12 of the group’s members are facing conspiracy or other charges in connection with the Jan. 6 attack.

Second, Shaffer could shed light on another aspect of the far-reaching investigation: the potential coordination of the riot planning between the Oath Keepers and other similar groups, including the Proud Boys.

Third, Shaffer may have insights into who around then-president Donald Trump, including Trump’s advisers and his sycophants in Congress, might have coordinated or knew of plans for the Jan. 6 violence. At least two Oath Keepers members who have already been charged for breaching the Capitol are known to have provided security to longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone. 

• Like 1