Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

Deadly breach could delay decisions about Capitol fencing

The latest deadly breach of the Capitol’s perimeter could delay the gradual reopening of the building’s grounds to the public just as lawmakers were eyeing a return to more normal security measures following the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Capitol Police officer William “Billy” Evans, an 18-year veteran of the force, was killed Friday when a man rammed his car into a barrier outside the Senate side of the building. The driver, identified as 25-year-old Noah Green, was shot and killed after he ran his car into Evans and another officer, got out and lunged at police with a knife.

The deaths came less than two weeks after the Capitol Police removed an outer fence that had temporarily cut off a wide swath of the area to cars and pedestrians, blocking major traffic arteries that cross the city. The fencing had been erected to secure the Capitol after the violent mob of of then-President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the building Jan. 6., interrupting the certification of President Joe Biden’s victory. The violence lead to the deaths of five people, including a Capitol Police officer.

Police, who took the brunt of the assaults that day, have left intact a second ring of fencing around the inner perimeter of the Capitol as they struggle to figure out how to best protect the building and those who work inside it. That tall, dark fencing — parts of it covered in razor wire until just recently -- is still a stark symbol of the fear many in the Capitol felt after the mob laid siege two months ago.

Lawmakers have almost universally loathed the fencing, saying the seat of American democracy was meant to be open to the people, even if there was always going to be a threat.

But after Friday’s attack, some said they needed to procced with caution.

“It’s an eyesore, it sucks,” Democratic Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio said about the fencing. “Nobody wants that there. But the question is, is the environment safe enough to be able to take it down? In the meantime, maybe that fence can prevent some of these things from happening.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Dozens of Jan. 6 rioters have apologized and disowned their ‘stop the steal’ claims

The helmet-wearing Idaho man photographed dangling by one hand from the Senate’s balcony during the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol turned himself in six days later. While buckled in the vehicle delivering him to the Boise jail, Josiah Colt made a video apologizing and expressing shame for storming the building.

Jacob Chansley, the self-described QAnon Shaman who posed for photos on the Senate dais while sporting face paint and a furry hat with horns, also lacks the enthusiasm he once showed for the riot. A month later, he wrote an apology from jail, asking for understanding as he was coming to grips with his actions.

Confronted with compelling video and photographic evidence in court, dozens of rioters have apologized and expressed regret as the consequences of their actions have started to sink in. The ramifications include potential job losses, financial ruin and possible time behind bars.

“This is going to have consequences for these people for the rest of their lives — and it should,” said John Flannery, a former federal prosecutor and Capitol Hill lawyer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is the tea party nonsense all over again.  They said it was about being "taxed too much" despite the fact that no one was even looking to raise their taxes, but once you dug deeper and actually talked to the people themselves, the tax stuff was really just a nonsense script reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

MAGA Riot Lawsuit Against Trump Keeps Getting Bigger

A federal lawsuit alleging Donald Trump, his lawyer, and far-right extremists at the U.S. Capitol conspired to deprive Americans of their civil rights by disrupting the count of Joe Biden’s electoral college victory with the Jan. 6 riot is expanding this week.

Lawyers for the NAACP, which brought the suit early this year on behalf of Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS), are set to file an amended complaint on Wednesday adding ten new plaintiffs, two people familiar with the matter say. The new plaintiffs will include other members of Congress, and the amended complaint is said to include additional information regarding the deadly Jan. 6 riot in Washington, DC, that then-President Trump and his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani are accused of inciting, the sources added.

I like how Tucker Carlson first is marginalizing it by saying "simply walking in...." as if the doors were open with welcome signs and the people were confused that it meant they were allowed to walk in, then he says it is simple trespassing as if trespassing in a federal building that an active riot is being staged at is the same as "simple trespassing" on private land or something.   

Oh Tucker, never change.

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

I know when I was visiting the DC tourist places, I always wore camouflage, body armor, and carried restraints with me.  

Your font choice has forced me to take you seriously and I have alerted the FBI

• Haha 9

14 hours ago, Larry said:

I know when I was visiting the DC tourist places, I always wore camouflage, body armor, and carried restraints with me.  

Definitely. I also always make sure to smash in windows to get into government buildings that are closed. I'M A TAX PAYER. I PAID FOR THOSE BUILDINGS! I CAN BREAK THEM IF I WANT!

14 hours ago, visionary said:

BigTalkativeAsiaticmouflon-small.gif

• Haha 5

For the people that just aimlessly walked around it sounds like their personal life is punishing them more than the legal system. Apparently federal trespassing laws are not all that tough, the lawyer explaining it on a podcast said state trespassing is usually more severe. 

but I’ve read plenty of stories of people losing their jobs, or their career-specific licenses, their spouse/relatives/friends, etc. which seems more severe than a slap on the wrist fine

though I do wonder how future employment opportunities might suffer. For some of these people simply googling their name will pull this up. And the background check won’t be hard to put it together “oh you were changed with federal trespassing on 1/6/2021... “

maybe not exactly the outcome we would want for terrorists, but if they nail the more important/dangerous people and these orgs severely I can accept the total picture as a win and move on to being far more concerned about how we deal with.... these brainwashed people and the nefarious structure of politicians and influencers that made and further it...

• Like 2

Well, I do assume that the vast majority of the mob were not "James Bond villain" level evil. Most were simply pissed off rednecks who were inspired/goaded by both a small group of intentional manipulators, and by each other. 

Heck, if I thought they'd learn from it, I'd say some community service and go home would be justice. 

Although, there's the matter of "if I thought they'd learn from it". 

Face it. There's a whole lot of people who haven't learned that the Confederacy was wrong. 

And I think a HUGE part of this movement, is people who've discovered that open racism gets you looked at funny. And their reaction has been to become sullen and resentful at the people always looking at them funny. 

And now, they're being told that as long as they stick together in large groups, they don't have to hide it any more. 

Not sure there's going to be a lot of learning going on, here. Assume a lot of folks, the lesson will be to stop talking to that person who snitched on me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

It’s such a dangerous situation. 

they’ve been brainwashed into not only not having any appeal to any authority, but to distrust anything touted as an authority.

they honestly operate under the (faulty) logic loop: I believe what I want -> anyone who says otherwise cannot be trusted 

and so as they get charged, and lose their job, and lose their friends/family, all that serves to further the feedback loop. It just shows them the problem is *worse* than they thought, that even *more* people cannot be trusted than they previously thought  

No idea what you do with that. It’s certain hard to imagine the situation gets anything but worse...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

they honestly operate under the (faulty) logic loop: I believe what I want -> anyone who says otherwise cannot be trusted 

I think it's simpler than that.  

I think they've been taught that they can tell truth from lies, based on whether it agrees with their opinion.  

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

and so as they get charged, and lose their job, and lose their friends/family, all that serves to further the feedback loop. It just shows them the problem is *worse* than they thought, that even *more* people cannot be trusted than they previously thought  

Recall reading a few lines af a post about conspiracy theory land.  

The author was saying that, in conspiracy theory land, lack of evidence doesn't mean you're wrong.  It means the conspiracy is vaster then you imagined.  

He said it's like believing that you never see elephants hiding in the tops of trees because they're very good at it.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

I think it's simpler than that.  

I think they've been taught that they can tell truth from lies, based on whether it agrees with their opinion.  

Recall reading a few lines af a post about conspiracy theory land.  

The author was saying that, in conspiracy theory land, lack of evidence doesn't mean you're wrong.  It means the conspiracy is vaster then you imagined.  

He said it's like believing that you never see elephants hiding in the tops of trees because they're very good at it.  

Have you ever seen an elephant wearing camo?  Exactly.

@tshile right there with you man.  Wish they could figure out some sorta court ordered therapy that would include de-brainwashing, or at least a serious look at mainstream vs RW media, but alas...

Tangentially, I have some friends that cut their mom’s cable cord so she would stop watching FOX, she became (as she used to be) much more pleasant and they started trusting her with their kids again.  The brainwashing is real.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SC man pleads guilty to threatening federal prosecutor over Proud Boys leader

A Lexington County man suspected of involvement with the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol pleaded guilty Friday to federal charges related to threatening messages he left a prosecutor, warning her she could be harmed if something happened to a Proud Boys leader.

James Giannakos of Gilbert pleaded guilty at the federal courthouse in Columbia to making threatening phone calls to a former assistant U.S. attorney. The plea means Giannakos could face up to five years in federal prison and up to a $250,000 fine, although Judge Terry Wooten did not impose sentence on Friday.

It also means Giannakos must cooperate with federal prosecutors on any other criminal cases he may have knowledge about, including the attack on the U.S. Capitol earlier this year.