Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Potential Legislative/Policy Agenda Discussions


goskins10
 Share

Recommended Posts

All they really need to do is enact a wealth tax on the top 5 percent. Then you dont have deal with the higher taxes make corporations less competitive argument or the corporations will find a way not to pay taxes argument (both of which I think are somewhat valid)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

There's a major positive sign for Joe Biden's jobs and families bill: Kyrsten Sinema has signed off on certain tax provisions.

 

In a major development for President Joe Biden's agenda, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has signed off on new revenues — including some tax increases on the wealthy — to help pay for Biden's jobs and families plan.

 

The Arizona senator has resisted raising the corporate and income tax rates as most of her party wants. But she's making clear behind the scenes that she's willing to pay for a roughly $2 trillion climate, education, child care and family leave package with tax increases that still would target rich Americans and large companies.

 

"Senator Sinema has agreed to provisions in each of President Biden's four proposed revenue categories — international, domestic corporate, high net worth individuals, and tax enforcement — providing sufficient revenue to fully pay for a budget reconciliation package in the range currently being discussed." — A source familiar with the discussions.

 

Top tax writer Rep. Richard Neal (D-Mass.) spoke with Sinema on Thursday for what he called a "very cordial" conversation.

 

"I made my case for rates in terms of efficiency simplicity. And they weren't punitive. I thought that the conversation went pretty well," Neal said, adding Sinema supports clean energy tax credits and is in "full accord with paid family leave."

 

Click on the link for more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biden Just Announced He Would Support Killing the Filibuster to Get Voting Rights Passed – ‘And Maybe More’

 

President Joe Biden just made big news – and made a lot of Democrats happy.

 

Up until now he has strongly opposed killing the filibuster, an antiquated, undemocratic Jim Crow relic.

 

But at a CNN town hall Thursday night President Biden suggested he would support eliminating the filibuster to pass crucial voting rights legislation, the Freedom to Vote Act.

 

“When it comes to voting rights,” host Anderson Cooper stopped to confirm what the President had said, “just so I’m clear, though, you would entertain the notion of doing away with the filibuster on that one issue, is that correct?”

 

“And maybe more,” President Biden teased, to applause.

 

This new position comes just one day after Republicans for the third time blocked debate on the Freedom to Vote Act, with not a single member of the Senate GOP caucus will to even allow a discussion on the legislation that would protect the right to vote.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pelosi: Democrats within striking distance of deal

 

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Friday that Democrats are within striking distance of winning a long-sought agreement on President Biden's sweeping domestic agenda.

 

Returning to the Capitol from a White House breakfast with the president, the Speaker said there are "a couple outstanding issues" to iron out in the health care arena but that the environmental aspects of the bill "are resolved" and she's "optimistic" that a deal is close. 

 

"We're in good shape. We're moving along," Pelosi said.

 

"We had a very positive meeting this morning; I'm very optimistic," she added. "It's exciting, because whatever it is, it's going to be bigger than anything we've ever done for the American people."  

 

A short time later, after huddling with House Democrats during a Friday morning vote, Pelosi estimated that "more than 90 percent of everything is agreed to."  

 

Pelosi and President Biden were joined Friday by Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who participated in the discussion remotely. The leaders are scrambling to secure an agreement on a massive social spending package at the center of Biden's economic agenda, which includes a broad expansion of health care benefits, safety net programs and efforts to combat climate change.

 

A key barrier to a deal has emerged in recent days in the form of Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), whose opposition to tax hikes on corporations and wealthy individuals — big revenue-raisers that were included in the Democrats' initial $3.5 trillion package — has forced party leaders to seek offsets elsewhere.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do it this way because it can't be just Dems pushing for it.  If it is truly the best way for democracy, we need to find partners on both sides.  To do that, naming somebody you know disagrees with you on some things but agrees about what is needed for democracy to flourish, then they are ideal for the position.  They are less likely to be accused of doing things to help YOU and be more trusted to do what is right regardless of whether it helps you.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gbear said:

You do it this way because it can't be just Dems pushing for it.  If it is truly the best way for democracy, we need to find partners on both sides.  To do that, naming somebody you know disagrees with you on some things but agrees about what is needed for democracy to flourish, then they are ideal for the position.  They are less likely to be accused of doing things to help YOU and be more trusted to do what is right regardless of whether it helps you.


ive seen too many republicans appear “reasonable” the last 5 years and then when the pressure is put on them they become another fascist trump toadie. Makes me nervous 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:


ive seen too many republicans appear “reasonable” the last 5 years and then when the pressure is put on them they become another fascist trump toadie. Makes me nervous 


I agree 100% but I also agree with @gbear in that we have to keep trying. Surly there are some republicans that are not intimidated by trump and his idiot supporters. We are supposed to be better so we have to keep trying. 
 

now ask me again tomorrow and I might say the opposite In fairness I have before. But I really keep hoping that the more reasonable republicans will start taking charge of their party.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I hope this motivates people into getting more Dems into office to blunt the effect of Manchin and the Winery Intern 

It will have to go against history. Even when big legislation gets passed; the party in power loses seats. 
 

I think they have to make Trump and his Trump clones the issue in 22. Do you want Trump acolytes taking over or do want you build on what you could get and finish the job.

 

The only way Dems buck history is for historic turnout in 22. I am very skeptical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It will have to go against history. Even when big legislation gets passed; the party in power loses seats. 
 

I think they have to make Trump and his Trump clones the issue in 22. Do you want Trump acolytes taking over or do want you build on what you could get and finish the job.

 

The only way Dems buck history is for historic turnout in 22. I am very skeptical.

 

 

I understand what you are saying and tend to agree. However, the dems have to get something done to show they can be effective. I do not think a - you can't want THEM! campaign works. If nothing else many republican's have already said - yes, we do want them. Have to give them a better reason to want something else other than, they are bad people, even if it's 100% true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

 

I understand what you are saying and tend to agree. However, the dems have to get something done to show they can be effective. I do not think a - you can't want THEM! campaign works. If nothing else many republican's have already said - yes, we do want them. Have to give them a better reason to want something else other than, they are bad people, even if it's 100% true. 

Oh, I agree they do have to pass something but even if they do; it’s going to be very tough to buck historical trends.

 

If they don’t pass something: the Dems won’t be motivated to come out at all. Historically though; it’s the people who are against what was passed that are motivated more than those who liked what was passed.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get this passed and it will be monumental even as much of it is stripped down. But you treat this as the massive home run it absolutely is. 
 

combine these two bills with vax shots being approved for kids and boosters coming around to turn the covid conversation, the supply chain stuff comes together a bit over the next 6 months and things could be looking good for Biden in the summer of 2022 heading into the elections. If I was Biden I’d wait until then to do something like cutting student loans or something he can control to give himself and Dems a really nice campaign boost heading into the season. 
 

campaign on the progress you made, the setbacks and disasters coming under the fascist Trump party, and the need for more Dems to further push popular policies. campaign on $15 min wage. free community college. Etc You want it? We need 54 senators and the house. Help us make it happen. 
 

all the while the second the ink is dry on these two bills you are figuring out what you have to do to protect voting rights. Do it through the DOJ, executive order etc. make it loud and known 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I do not think a - you can't want THEM! campaign works.

Not for moderates, independents, and liberals. 
 

for conservatives it works great. They love a boogeyman. 
 

it’s amazing to me how tight a rope the Dems have to walk just to get their base to show up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think you should campaign on minimum wage increases. I don’t think it is as popular as people seem to think it is here, and most large companies have made the decision to raise wages to 15/hr already because the labor market is so tight right now.


So, the public is opposed to it. And it's already happened. Right?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, goskins10 said:


I agree 100% but I also agree with @gbear in that we have to keep trying. Surly there are some republicans that are not intimidated by trump and his idiot supporters. We are supposed to be better so we have to keep trying. 
 

now ask me again tomorrow and I might say the opposite In fairness I have before. But I really keep hoping that the more reasonable republicans will start taking charge of their party.  

Sure, we can try it. However, lets just not pop our cherry on something this important. You know the GOP is not going to do the right thing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Politics is a big scam.  Sinema and Manchin are being paid to slow down the legislative agenda. 

 

Everything Biden and this Congress wanted to do, should have and could have been done within 3 months.  

 

I am sick of these losers.  Just do what you want and get on with life.  Why do we need 5 months of negotiations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Sure, we can try it. However, lets just not pop our cherry on something this important. You know the GOP is not going to do the right thing.

 

 

I get it, but I am also sick of the dems infighting  leading to their own ineffectiveness. They need to get something passed. I am sorry if it's not the all encompassing panacea that solves al the problems of the world. Our infrastructure got bad over decades. We can't fix it over night. Gets what you can passed and show people the benefits. Then you have leverage to get the next step done. And if a few reps can get that done all the better. 

 

Stop whining and fighting with each other and got on board. As much as I hate republicans I have to give them credit for being able to rally the party around specific ideas, however backwards those ideas are. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...