Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

20 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Fair enough, but a downtown stadium gets you mega events (Superbowl, Final Four, Wrestlemania, Olympics, Taylor Swift/Beyonce, Olympics) which can bring dramatic revenue to the area.

There's no real proof that a major stadium brings more revenue than say a movie theater.

20 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Put a dome or retractable roof on it and it can be used year round.

How often is Jerry World used?

Houston cheats by booking the stadium out as part of the rodeo for one month a year.

19 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

According to Wikipedia....AT&T Stadium is a retractable-roof stadium in Arlington, Texas, United States. It serves as the home of the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL), and was completed on May 27, 2009. It is also the home of the Cotton Bowl Classic and the Big 12 Championship Game. The stadium is one of eleven US venues set to host matches during the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The facility, owned by the city of Arlington, can also be used for a variety of other activities, such as concerts, basketball games, soccer, college and high-school football contests, rodeos, motocross, Spartan Races, and professional wrestling.

21 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

There's no real proof that a major stadium brings more revenue than say a movie theater.

Houston cheats by booking the stadium out as part of the rodeo for one month a year.

Judging from their website it is regularly used for events outside of football. I can't find the previous events this year but looking at the upcoming months they have Metalica, Beyonce, Monster Jam, International Soccer, a BBQ fest, Big 12 Championship and the Cotton Bowl. It's probably 1 event every weekend until the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here's examples of two recent events that had more of an impact than a movie theater. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/other-sports/2022/07/11/wrestlemania-38-at-att-stadium-generated-2065-million-in-economic-impact/

Dallas mayor Eric Johnson and Arlington mayor Jim Ross announced Monday morning that WrestleMania generated $206.5 million in economic impact for the Dallas/Arlington region, according to a study conducted by the Enigma Research Corporation.

https://abc7.com/taylor-swift-sofi-stadium-los-angeles-economy/13620331/

According to a new study by the California Center for Jobs and the Economy, the megastar's local concerts will result in a $320 million bump to Los Angeles County's GDP (direct, indirect and induced impacts.)

18 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Judging from their website it is regularly used for events outside of football. I can't find the previous events this year but looking at the upcoming months they have Metalica, Beyonce, Monster Jam, International Soccer, a BBQ fest, Big 12 Championship and the Cotton Bowl. It's probably 1 event every weekend until the playoffs.

I'm not sure you need a 100,000 seat stadium for a BBQ fest.

Obviously, you can squeeze some additional use of them. The Georgetown Hoyas football team and can play all its home games there. Why not?

But these things are like spaceships that land and leave a blast radius.The footprint of these modern stadiums are two and three times that of RFK.. 

I've been to Dallas. It's next to the baseball stadium, an amusement park, and 250,000 parking spaces. I want to meet the bar owner who benefits from it.

In Houston, it's next to an arena, the collapsing husk of the Astrodome, a really sketchy apartment complex, and is technically in view of a bunch of hospitals.

I honestly can't believe they built So-Fi where they did, and I don't know how anyone in Southern California gets to it.

Things like Taylor Swift and Wrestlemania are interesting in that they turn your stadiums into literal international tourist destinations once a decade or so at best. But - at the same time - are six shows at So-Fi more valuable than ten shows at the StaplesCenter/CryptoScam Arena? I think Taylor is playing LA on any tour she puts together. Could she have played the Colliseum? The Rose Bowl? The Forum?

6 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Speaking from experience: slowly and angrily, while wearing out your middle finger and losing a small part of your soul. 

I drove to the Forum at 11 AM on a weekday just so I could tell a friend I saw the Forum in a text. (Always remember: I'm an idiot).

I wanted to kill myself on the drive, and then became terribly concerned for my life upon arrival.

LA is my Lady.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I'm not sure you need a 100,000 seat stadium for a BBQ fest.

Obviously, you can squeeze some additional use of them. The Georgetown Hoyas football team and can play all its home games there. Why not?

But these things are like spaceships that land and leave a blast radius.The footprint of these modern stadiums are two and three times that of RFK.. 

I've been to Dallas. It's next to the baseball stadium, an amusement park, and 250,000 parking spaces. I want to meet the bar owner who benefits from it.

In Houston, it's next to an arena, the collapsing husk of the Astrodome, a really sketchy apartment complex, and is technically in view of a bunch of hospitals.

I honestly can't believe they built So-Fi where they did, and I don't know how anyone in Southern California gets to it.

Things like Taylor Swift and Wrestlemania are interesting in that they turn your stadiums into literal international tourist destinations once a decade or so at best. But - at the same time - are six shows at So-Fi more valuable than ten shows at the StaplesCenter/CryptoScam Arena? I think Taylor is playing LA on any tour she puts together. Could she have played the Colliseum? The Rose Bowl? The Forum?

Well I can tell you that it's probably better for people working the stadiums to have constant use of said stadium. I wouldn't want to be a concession employee at Fedex field. You probably don't get hours more than half of the year. If you told me we were putting on BBQ fest and I was going to get some pay I'd be more than happy about it. 

I personally don't think the RFK site could be what At&t is and there isn't anywhere in the area where it could be that. BUT use of that site, especially with a dome would be way better than the current site. I'll go out on a limb and say pretty much anywhere else you could possibly put a stadum is better than the Fedex site. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Commander PK said:

I would very much like to see the team headquarters and practice facilities move to Landover on the site of Fed Ex, and then the stadium be in the City.  Sell the land in Ashburn.  

So One Loudoun can have more $8,000,000,000,000,000,000 townhomes? :rofl89:

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Commander PK said:

I would very much like to see the team headquarters and practice facilities move to Landover on the site of Fed Ex, and then the stadium be in the City.  Sell the land in Ashburn.  

I doubt that happens.  I think they’ll keep the training facility in Ashburn.  They need something to tie in for the VA fans.  Why would they move the training facilities and headquarters to MD, after having the stadium there for 25 years?  That would leave VA out in the cold, if the stadium goes to DC.  It’s more likely that the training facilities and headquarters will also move to DC, next to the stadium than it is to move that to Landover.  That would make more sense.

Edited by samy316

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

I doubt that happens.  I think they’ll keep the training facility in Ashburn.  They need something to tie in for the VA fans.  Why would they move the training facilities and headquarters to MD, after having the stadium there for 25 years?  That would leave VA out in the cold, if the stadium goes to DC.  It’s more likely that the training facilities and headquarters will also move to DC, next to the stadium than it is to move that to Landover.  That would make more sense.

I think it was Keim that mentioned the other day that one of the reasons the headquarters was in VA was due to betting laws. No idea if accurate though.

On 8/8/2023 at 4:31 PM, Conn said:

Most Olympics are not at all profitable for the hosting city, right? It’s more of a prestige thing. In fact they can be known to destroy a city’s infrastructure, for years.

Its because a lot of cities spend an eff ton on stadiums/arenas that then see no use after. That wouldn't really be a thing here. We already have a ton of venues that could be used between pro and college stadiums and of course once the new Commanders stadium opens up. And that would be the case for most American cities as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samy316 said:

I think the solution would be to hold Training Camp somewhere in Virginia.  Not Richmond obviously, but somewhere further north.  The advantage to Landover for the HQ and practice facilities is that it's only a few miles outside of the city.  They have 200 acres of land on that site that they already own.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:33 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

They have like 3-4 corporate events there daily.  Before you add all the other stuff they do there.  

I think I read there was SOMETHING there every day.  They get great use of the space.  

I went to an all hands meeting there in 2015.  For a small consulting firm. 

Jerry knows how to make sure that place is occupied and generating revenues much as possible.  

There’s no reason it couldn’t be replicated here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

They need a new f***ing stadium soon because for **** like MNF people in VA like me who f***ing work have to leave the house at 2 or 1 pm just to get to the stadium, because of 495 traffic.

The last time I had to go to FedEx field for a weekday night game I had to literally leave at 1 pm lol.

On 8/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, RememberOsaka said:

I have it on good authority that Pepco is laying the groundwork for a stadium project.

Give me your employee ID so I can stop by your desk. We don’t need surprises in next years budget.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Commander PK said:

For the sake of argument, this would infer the stadium would be in the City or in it's immediate vicinity correct?  

He should be careful not to cost someone a job talking about the company and new work.

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia was the only player during Snyder’s multiyear effort to replace FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland. 

But even a $300 million proposal was shelved in June 2022 amid the numerous investigations into Snyder and the team and a divisive comment made by defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

Snyder, however, still touted how much money Virginia would be willing to offer. A prospectus provided to Harris’ ownership group stated that Virginia could provide up to $1.5 billion in public funding — half the cost of the domed stadium that Snyder planned to build in Northern Virginia. 

Even under new ownership with local ties, that figure is expected to be a fraction of that, sources told FOS previously. 

The selection of a new stadium is perhaps a couple of years out, and a new stadium may not open until after the current lease at FedEx Field expires in 2027. The Commanders are expected to renew the lease if their new home is finished, potentially on a year-to-year basis. 

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore has been very vocal about his aim to keep the team in his state. The Commanders have played in Prince George’s County since 1997 after relocating from RFK Stadium in D.C. 

“Keeping them in Prince George’s County is a major priority,” Moore told FOS earlier this month at Commanders training camp. “In our first six months [in office], we’ve already allocated $400 million towards the [Metro] Blue Line Corridor, which is right near the stadium.”

Minus Snyder, there also appears to be less opposition regarding a Virginia stadium location. 

Snyder intended to put the team in Prince William County and had the option to purchase land on a site where fears over traffic on the continually congested I-95 led many to voice objections. 

Two of the three sites proposed initially were in Prince William, with the other in Loudoun County, where the team’s headquarters has been for decades.

Loudoun has the highest median income of any county in the nation, although economic development has consisted mainly of data centers like those surrounding the Commanders’ headquarters. The proposed site is an old rock quarry in Sterling. 

“If you look at it from a transportation perspective, the site would be the best option [of the three originally studied],” Reid said. “It’s located where the Dulles Greenway, Tollway, and Route 28 come together. It’s near Dulles Airport. The Metro station is a mile away.”

Reid has told his constituents that it’s more than just a football stadium, talking up the hotels, bars, restaurants, and even a performance arts center that would be located adjacent to the stadium.

Edited by Skinsinparadise