Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

Commanders' football stadium bill clears first legislative hurdle in Virginia

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/commanders-football-stadium-bill-clears-first-legislative-hurdle-in-virginia/article_f9a47258-8866-11ec-9d24-477cb24f0692.html

The legislation would establish the Virginia Football Stadium Authority. It would be similar to an existing Baseball Stadium Authority, which the state created in 1995 with the hopes of landing a Major League Baseball team. Under such authorities, officials typically create a district around the stadium and dedicate some or all of the new revenue generated from the complex to construction or related infrastructure.”

Also in the article, the filing Delegate is quoted as saying:  “Knight said the stadium would be surrounded by restaurants, retail, lodging and parking garages”

Conspicuously absent, any mention of a gaming venue.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Two things about this article:

One, it's this legalize for government funding for the stadium, because it sure sounds like it:

Saslaw’s allows the authority to issue 40-year bonds, while Knight’s allows only 20-year bonds. Knight’s bill does not allow localities to use eminent domain to support the facility, while Saslaw’s does. Knight’s bill also repays the bonds through sales and use taxes rather than other corporate taxes.

2. Holy **** on them even doing a study on bringing the blue line all the way down to PWC, wow, and even past Woodbridge? Double wow.  Might as well go the jugular and stretch to Stafford and Fredericksburg, wow, and what about Manassas?

Prince William officials would likely need to make a harder sell than Loudoun because Prince William is not served by the region’s Metrorail system.  A study released by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation in October estimated a Metro extension to the Triangle area could cost up to $27 billion.

Edited by Renegade7

11 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The Dems in Virginia, should oppose this.  Don't waste tax dollars on Dan.  

The NFL is a billion dollar industry and will be making more as gambling spreads. Let them fund their own stadiums.

Everyone in Virginia should oppose this. I won't discuss the politics of it here, but governments handing taxpayer dollars to billionaires shouldn't be on any politician's agenda.

What I've noticed is that places like Los Angeles refuse to pay and the stadium gets built anyway. It's the "palookavilles" out there that pay billionaires to bring their team to town. The DC region is not a palookaville. We are a wealthy, high-population area that teams should be fighting each other to get access to. If Snyder insists on public subsidy and wants to take his clownshow to St. Louis or London, more power to him.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 4

I understand not wanting public funds to be used to build the stadium, or not wanting it in Virginia, but if we can assume it's an inevitability....holy **** Prince William County, you are really messing things up by trying to stick your nose in this.  The CIT site next to Dulles isn't in DC, but really isn't that bad.  But that PWC site is too, too far away.  Just go away and let Loudoun have this one, guys.

6 hours ago, fullnelson9999 said:

I understand not wanting public funds to be used to build the stadium, or not wanting it in Virginia, but if we can assume it's an inevitability....holy **** Prince William County, you are really messing things up by trying to stick your nose in this.  The CIT site next to Dulles isn't in DC, but really isn't that bad.  But that PWC site is too, too far away.  Just go away and let Loudoun have this one, guys.

I-95 South to Woodbridge is already a parking lot even on weekends. Putting the stadium there would make the trip to FedEx look like easy street. Plus, it's going to be harder to make that site into a "destination" outside of gameday. A lot more money floating around Loudoun County and western Fairfax that would probably support a nearby shopping/entertainment complex surrounding the stadium.

Virginia plan to score Washington Commanders new stadium calls for $1 billion in bonds

Lawmakers say bonds would be repaid over 30 years using tax revenue from the new stadium

Economic boost from a new Washington Commanders stadium not a sure thing

Author: Eric Flack
Published: 7:41 PM EST February 10, 2022
Updated: 7:41 PM EST February 10, 2022
Facebook Twitter

WASHINGTON — New legislation working its way through the Virginia legislature would authorize the sale of up to $1 billion worth of government bonds to help finance a new Washington Commanders stadium in Northern Virginia.

The financial details of SB 727, which would establish the Virginia Football Stadium Authority, were released during a Senate Finance and Appropriations committee hearing Thursday night. The bill, introduced by Sen. Richard Saslaw (D) of Fairfax, was approved by the Finance and Appropriations Committee 14-2 with one abstention. It now moves to the full legislature for approval.

A companion bill was passed by the Virginia House Committee on Appropriations on Monday.

Under the legislation, the Virginia Football Stadium Authority would be authorized to sell $1 billion in bonds to help fund a new Washington Commanders stadium in Northern Virginia. The team would be required to invest at least $2 billion. The bonds would be paid back over 30 years, paid for by a projected $3 billion dollars in tax revenue from the new stadium over that period.

“If we were writing a check at all, I’d be out,” said Sen. Stephen Newman (R) of Forest.

George Perry, a business professor at George Mason University spoke to WUSA9 about the legislation by phone. Perry, who worked as a sports marketing executive for 23 years (including more than one year with the Commanders) said on its surface, the legislation does not authorize a taxpayer funded stadium deal. 

“It doesn’t appear so,” Perry said shortly after details of the legislation were released Thursday night. “It’s a creative way to finance a stadium without using direct taxpayer money.”

That doesn’t mean that Virginia isn’t ponying up for Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder. By comparison, the new $5 billion Sofi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif., home to this weekend's Super Bowl, was financed entirely by Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke. That means the local government in Inglewood collects 100% of the tax revenue from that project.

In Virginia’s case, $1 billion of the projected $3 billion dollars in tax revenue would be diverted from local coffers to repay the bonds.

Still, Saslaw touted his plan as free of taxpayer burden.

“It does not create a penny of debt,” he told the committee.

Saslaw added, his plan is similar to those that funded new stadium construction in Atlanta, Dallas and Santa Clara.

The legislation also stipulates any stadium deal would have to be approved by county government as well as the Stadium Authority. Loudoun and Prince William Counties have both been discussed as possible homes in Northern Virginia for a new Washington Commanders stadium.

An amendment offered by Sen. Adam Ebbin (D) of Alexandria to require disclosure of the NFL’s investigation into Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder before any stadium deal is approved failed for lack of support. In fact, the motion did not receive a second from a single member of the committee.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports/nfl/washington-commanders/washington-commanders-new-stadium-one-billion-dollars-bonds-virginia/65-0a09250a-c581-4201-8ed9-f9633e4d87d5

17 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Think positively they are really going after him and DC said they want Stadium. I could be wrong I think we got a shot.

DC may want the stadium, but it's federal land overseen by the United States Department of the Interior. The current Secretary of which is a Native American. I'm not sure she is as quick to Forgive Snyder as Muriel Bowser is. 

11 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

DC may want the stadium, but it's federal land overseen by the United States Department of the Interior. The current Secretary of which is a Native American. I'm not sure she is as quick to Forgive Snyder as Muriel Bowser is. 

That true but here something to think about. They changed the name, DC has come around for the stadium, Congress wants the owner gone, and the potential new owner has alot of pull with the fed government. Think positively, this group of fans is long over due for a win. Your right about Snyder we are not getting the DC stadium with him as owner.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

That true but here something to think about. They changes the name, DC has come around for the stadium, Congress wants the owner gone, and the potential new owner has alot of pull with fed government. Think positively, this group of fans is long over due for a win.

But we've been winning off the field for so long!

Sorry, I just feel like Eeyore at this point. 

Day Today GIF

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

If you wanna be honest about it RFK might not even big enough for what Dan or new owner is likely going to want. The RFK site was 190 acres in 2006 and I think its been built up around since then. In comparison SoFi between the stadium and the mixed use development land is 298 acres. Also Owner whoever it is is going to want a year round sports book highly doubt that would be allowed on federal land

Just now, Mrshadow008 said:

If you wanna be honest about it RFK might not even big enough for what Dan or new owner is likely going to want. The RFK site was 190 acres in 2006 and I think its been built up around since then. In comparison SoFi between the stadium and the mixed use development land is 298 acres. Also Owner whoever it is is going to want a year round sports book highly doubt that would be allowed on federal land

Does that include the parking areas? I've been thinking about it too and think they would have to take over the DC Armory also, which would mean they would need to find a new place for an Armory. I think there's enough room for a modest state of the art stadium. Let's be honest, were not as Big of a city as LA so we probably don't need a stadium that size. Especially since it's on a metro line. But I digress, the betting thing is probably a bigger deal than the rest. 

5 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Sports book may or may not happen. I don't think where rfk is where the stadium would go I heard a couple years ago there was a spot down by the Anacostia River or near Anacostia area. Someone was looking at. If the it was at RFK they would have to do a federal land swap.

Edited by Redskins 2021

5 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Does that include the parking areas? I've been thinking about it too and think they would have to take over the DC Armory also, which would mean they would need to find a new place for an Armory. I think there's enough room for a modest state of the art stadium. Let's be honest, were not as Big of a city as LA so we probably don't need a stadium that size. Especially since it's on a metro line. But I digress, the betting thing is probably a bigger deal than the rest. 

Yeah the gambling and having the land for multiuse development is a big deal. And honestly as fans if we wanna have any shot at avoiding PSLs we probably need to welcome it because both of those things dwarf psl $. I would love it over in maryland by mgm but same thing with gambling would be hard with mgm right there.

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Sports book may or may not happen. I don't think where rfk is where the stadium would go I heard a couple years ago there was a spot down by the Anacostia River or near Anacostia area. Someone was looking at. If the it was at RFK they would have to do a federal land swap.

They could probably make that work if Dan wasnt the owner. Id hear of down by river but not sure what land situation is like. Sports Book is going to be a huge part of this like it or not. Those gambling $ are huge and allows you to have traffic to and from the stadium all year round. Which would honestly help any area its in because it brings in money year round.

Edited by Mrshadow008

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

Sports book may or may not happen. I don't think where rfk is where the stadium would go I heard a couple years ago there was a spot down by the Anacostia River or near Anacostia area. Someone was looking at.

RFK is right next to the Anacostia. I don't know what site you're talking about, maybe Anacostia Park?