Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 hour ago, BudLighticke said:

Disagree completely, super reactionary post. 

By no means am I under the illusion that heineke is our guy long term, but this was a team loss and he shouldn’t need to score 30 plus to win games. He still showed glimpses of being very capable.

It's not reactionary at all. Def and STs handed the Off the game on a silver platter in the 1st half and Taylor coughed up a fur ball. I have been hard on the D all year and yea they had 2 bad plays the first half. But the 2nd one never happens if the off does their job. I could care less what happened in the 2nd half. I didn't even watch it. Game should have been at least 28-13 if not 31 -13 at the half. 

I believe Taylor deserves the starting QB role the rest of the season. I have no problem with that. But that does not mean ignore when he plays poorly. He was jsut not good the first half. He had a few nice throws but 13 pts off those TOs and the roughing the kicker reprieve - I believe we started either 3 or 4 drives in NO territory in the 1st half alone. And spare me the injuries. Injuries did not make him miss a wide open Carter, throw that wounded duck that was picked, over throw several WRs - again. His decision making was not as sharp - well he wasn't getting away with being chancy. 

Some really tough games coming up to have to try and get better in.  Very easily could be 2-7 very quickly. In fact I see little standing in the way of 4 straight losses. At this point 2-9 is very real. 

Chiefs have not been good on D. We should be able to score on them. Now Mahomes will likely hang 50+ on us.  Could be an interesting game or a complete disaster. 

If Heinicke and the offense can turn the early Winston turnovers in the beginning into TDs, it's possible the outcome could've been different.  Heinicke missed a wide open Dax Milne on 2nd and Goal on the first drive.  He also missed Carter on a 3rd down on the 2nd drive.  Not saying the defense wouldn't have sucked, but things may have been different.

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The league is filled with young physical freak QBs. We shouldn't settle for a 5'8'' 28 year old who was a backup in the XFL for 2022 and beyond.

That’s a little harsh. Heineke is probably closer to 6 foot, and he’s an athletic freak on everything other than arm talent.

Also, until today, he’s played well and is the biggest reason we have 2 wins.

The problem is he just doesn’t have the arm strength to play consistently in the NFL as a starter.  He processes information quickly, typically makes good decisions ans runs the offense efficiently.

And he should get the rest of the season to start unless the wheels completely come off. 

However, you HAVE to have a QB with NFL arm talent on the roster next year.  Period.  

• Like 1

So we are now 5 games in, 2-3, with TH having been the QB for the majority of the season.  I know after a couple games people were saying he has earned the right to start the remainder of the season even if Fitzpatrick was medically cleared by Week 8-10.....now that we have seen a few more games of Heinicke, do people still believe this, because I would disagree.  Heinicke hasn't been great, hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't done anything to prove him not being named the starter in the first place was some kind of misstep by the coaches.  Should the team be .500ish when Fitz is healthy, I would still want to see what the offense looks like with the QB who was supposed to be the starter, under center.  TH hasn't come out yet and done anything to make a definitive statement in my eyes.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

So we are now 5 games in, 2-3, with TH having been the QB for the majority of the season.  I know after a couple games people were saying he has earned the right to start the remainder of the season even if Fitzpatrick was medically cleared by Week 8-10.....now that we have seen a few more games of Heinicke, do people still believe this, because I would disagree.  Heinicke hasn't been great, hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't done anything to prove him not being named the starter in the first place was some kind of misstep by the coaches.  Should the team be .500ish when Fitz is healthy, I would still want to see what the offense looks like with the QB who was supposed to be the starter, under center.  TH hasn't come out yet and done anything to make a definitive statement in my eyes.

If Fitz was healthy tomorrow, I wouldn’t make the switch.  TH has earned the right to have a stinker.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t but didn’t really expect that either.  I expected DC’s to make his life a lot tougher moving forward.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But I don’t think Fitz is saving this season. 

Maaaaaan, are we saying if season is done we don't even give Fitz a chance?  I can't get down with that, we brought him here to be the starter, im not buying in a game both him and Taylor looked weak that we should write Fitz off after spending the money to getcan't.

I say this because riding with Taylor is developing Taylor, and what we are seeing is we cant, so why bother?  If Fitz is better, which i still believe he proved to the coaching staff in August, Taylor still needs to play above a certain level to earn the rest of the season.  This is his second multiple int game in three weeks, hes not earned the right to hold off Fitz yet, imo.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The league is filled with young physical freak QBs. We shouldn't settle for a 5'8'' 28 year old who was a backup in the XFL for 2022 and beyond.

We’ve has physical freak players on both sides of the ball that turned out to be (or currently are) bums. 

I want to guys who make good decisions, fight and win football games regularly. 

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maaaaaan, are we saying if season is done we don't even give Fitz a chance? 

In my opinion, this team is buried.  There is no chance they will make the playoffs.  I expect them to lose the next 3 going into the bye, some in epic fashion.  Heineke probably plays poorly in 2 of the 3.  Fitz gets healthy over the next month and gets inserted back into the lineup.  The team still stinks.  We win a total of 4 or 5 games the entire season.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I really want Heinicke to succeed as the QB, but the fact is the guy is too small for the position and is why he can't make the throws at the right time or is missing guys.  He has a gun-slinger mentality, but that has a obviously huge downside with the iNTs he has thrown given his inability to get the ball to the WRs on time.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It's really unbelievable that our fan base is so emotionally wrecked that people are actually looking at someone with that pedigree as a saviour. Says a lot about how abused we've been over the years. I like the kid a lot. I'm glad he got another chance and made some money and a name for himself. He'll probably have some more highlights before everything is said and done. But he is not very good. It's as simple as that. He is not some "miracle" player that every other team somehow overlooked. You can see his arm strength issues. You can see his inaccuracy issues. You can see his panic issues. To the credit of the coaching staff, that's why they brought in Fitzpatrick (and it's hard to even remember that guy was here), but I don't think TH will even be in the league two years from now. 

Just remember, though, as long as Danya still owns the team, there is no rock bottom for this franchise. There is just the endless, flailing descent into the bottomless abyss. That and Harvest Fest! 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

It's really unbelievable that our fan base is so emotionally wrecked that people are actually looking at someone with that pedigree as a saviour. Says a lot about how abused we've been over the years. I like the kid a lot. I'm glad he got another chance and made some money and a name for himself. He'll probably have some more highlights before everything is said and done. But he is not very good. It's as simple as that. He is not some "miracle" player that every other team somehow overlooked. You can see his arm strength issues. You can see his inaccuracy issues. You can see his panic issues.

This sums up my feelings as well.

In fairness to TH, on paper, he’s just a not dude that should have any wins.  But he does, because he’s a scrappy competitor.  There’s a place for him this league, I just don’t think it’s as a starter.

The reason I asked about the Fitz thing is because it seems like a lot of people were acting as if Fitzpatrick already showed enough to show he was ineffective, after what....2 total drives?  And then Heinicke, it's not like our coaches didn't know what his capabilities were/are when he didn't win the QB competition in camp.  Rivera has been around the guy a long time too.  Fitz was injured so soon in the first game that he never really got a chance to show much at all good or bad, and so far Heinicke is not really doing anything to say he should be the outright starter regardless of Fitzpatrick's heath, and this is from a guy who didn't necessarily expect Fitz to be a lights out QB either. 

• Thanks 1

IMO 2 really good games.  2 bad games.  I didn't think he played hot against the Bills.  Logan Paulsen's thesis on Heinicke has been he has what it takes to beat bad defenses but he's skeptical about him against better/more complex defenses and he said the Saints would be a good test on that front.  

I just want to see a bigger sample size.  On one hand, I am skeptical that a QB with that level of arm strength can succeed in the NFL and I think picks come with that issue -- on the other hand I love his moxie and mobility.  

If I had to take stance right now, I'd say Heinicke is a high end backup.  But I want to see more of the movie still.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

So against the falcons, a bottom 3 team, he's awesome and excused for all the turkeys he throws, but when the check comes he's fallible. 

I've pointed out his flaws, but I really like him. He's a mobile post injury Chad Pennington. That's the best description I can think of.

If he could be our QB next year, it would really help. .500 by week 14 and I think he make the playoffs as a hot team. 

But it's probably a draft pick year and last week ****ed it up some.

I bet we could beat the jets.

Heinicke is the perfect backup. He can keep your offense functional and you can still beat bad teams. And its not like you're hopeless against good teams either because he can make plays.

But the physical limitations just limit too much of what the offense can do. Look at all the missed throws today. Now imagine if we had someone like Matty Stafford behind center. We probably win by double digits because those early possession takeaways would have resulted in TDs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Maaaaaan, are we saying if season is done we don't even give Fitz a chance?  I can't get down with that, we brought him here to be the starter, im not buying in a game both him and Taylor looked weak that we should write Fitz off after spending the money to getcan't.

I say this because riding with Taylor is developing Taylor, and what we are seeing is we cant, so why bother?  If Fitz is better, which i still believe he proved to the coaching staff in August, Taylor still needs to play above a certain level to earn the rest of the season.  This is his second multiple int game in three weeks, hes not earned the right to hold off Fitz yet, imo.

If the season is done, Fitz sadly has no value. At that point, ride the tank into the offseason to try and grab a QB from anywhere else. I love Fitz the man, but if we get a new QB, there's only 1 prime backup spot on this team and Heinicke earned it over the soon-to-be 39 year old.

Edited by NickyJ

Watching the game the one thing we are missing is running the ball against nickel defense. Heinicke did not play well and this is not to defend him. Its hard for any quarterback to play in this league when the defense is dropping its 2 linebackers and able to stop the run. The Chargers were in nickel/dime the entire game against us and that’s why we lost that game. Look what the Browns did to the Chargers today. Antonio Gibson averaged 3 ypc vs a nickel defense with a dime linebacker Werner starting. 

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I only defer to Heinicke because we know Fitzpatrick is essentially the same exact player with a kinda bigger arm but less mobile. 

Also, I’m about 90% sure we see Kyle Allen in the next 3 games. Deep down is his heart, Ron loves him the most. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1