Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Unless the D regresses.  What's missed in Heineke's resurgence since the bye is the defense.  Their play has allowed us to play this type of football, where Heineke doesn't have to try and make hero throws that he can't make.  It's a lovely unison of complimentary football that we typically don't play.  Even in 2018 when Alex was starting, it was abundantly clear every time we played a legit team, we got our asses handed to us.  Not a chance that team beat Tom Brady and the Bucs.

Good point about the defense playing much better since the bye.  Heinicke is 4-4 as a starter when opposing teams have scored over 17 points this season.  Alex Smith was 0-5.  Heinicke is much more of a gamer than Smith ever was for this team.  And I also do not think this team is 5-6 right now if Fitzpatrick was never injured.  Mostly because in 2 of those wins, Heinicke had to play hero ball.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Am I making this up or has he had noticeably more zip on his throws the last few games? 

I think what has helped his velocity is that he is releasing the ball quicker. He’s being more decisive. When you’re standing up in the pocket and have your legs underneath you, the ball will have more zip. 

Can we just cool it with the arm strength issue? Is he ever gonna be Josh Allen? NO! But I think you can see that he can get the ball where it is needed on most plays. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

I think what has helped his velocity is that he is releasing the ball quicker. He’s being more decisive. When you’re standing up in the pocket and have your legs underneath you, the ball will have more zip. 

Can we just cool it with the arm strength issue? Is he ever gonna be Josh Allen? NO! But I think you can see that he can get the ball where it is needed on most plays. 

Like when Terry has his man beat going deep and Heinicke can't get the ball to him? Because that would have been nice. Again.

• Like 1

Brady  

Newton

Russ Wilson

Who's next on Taylor's to do list? 

It's just beautiful seeing Brady's name at the top of this list. 

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I agree, he also threw a nice deep ball to Terry in the 1st half that I thought Terry misread in the air. It was a very catchable ball from what I could see. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

There was another QB we had that was undersized, without elite arm strength, mobile and athletic (but not a true runner), had a certain moxie and leadership quality, and was always willing to leave it all on the field to win. 

There is some Joe Theismann in Heinicke (even the unusual last name). And Joey T wasn’t our full time starter until he was 29 years old. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

It's going to be an issue until it isn't.  I love everything about what he's doing with what he has.  I realize it comes across as pooping on the parade to some here, but it's really not that.  I think everyone appreciates everything about the dude.  He has nothing left to give us.  But I'd be lying if I said that I think you can win a Super Bowl with a QB that physically can't make every throw.  I get it - he's got a ton else going for him and I'll enjoy watching it as long as it lasts.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree, he also threw a nice deep ball to Terry in the 1st half that I thought Terry misread in the air. It was a very catchable ball from what I could see. 

Yeah Terry missed it and he missed one last week too.  I like that he tries to high point his catches but there are times he needs to keep running and let the ball drop in.  Thats two touchdowns Terry's missed in two weeks misjudging ball trajectory. Something he still needs to work on.  Elite receivers make those plays...

• Like 1

TH had all but nailed on the starting role going into the upcoming offseason for me. We just need to see some performances in the closing division games to cement that position. I mean, he’s won me over. He may not have to overall measurable’s, but my God he’s got more than enough in his character to win a lot of games.

• Like 3

Doing some comparisons in my mind.  Alex Smith, Chad Pennington, and Brad Johnson come to mind as eyeball test comparisons.   Johnson had a bit more zip on his throws than I remember.  Particularly THs accuracy... at least on good throws. 

His out patterns make me nervous...

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Good point about the defense playing much better since the bye.  Heinicke is 4-4 as a starter when opposing teams have scored over 17 points this season.  Alex Smith was 0-5.  Heinicke is much more of a gamer than Smith ever was for this team.  And I also do not think this team is 5-6 right now if Fitzpatrick was never injured.  Mostly because in 2 of those wins, Heinicke had to play hero ball.

Side note: Alex Smith with this formula (Pre injury) does what Heineke is doing from a game management standpoint in his sleep. If you want to argue the ceiling Heineke has displayed on a few occasions over Alex’s ceiling, I get that. 
fg.  

It’s tough to be consistent and a known variable in the overall “pie” of a game, Smith provided that for 10 plus years. Washington is hoping Heineke provides this game to game at this point.  Trending in the right direction. Also, Smith was a threat with his legs. 

With that said, I do notice some similar traits/intangibles in overall command of the offense (the “adult” each play) and an improvement in managing situations by Heineke that remind me of Smith. 

Truly not attempting to debate Smith, but it’s an interesting comparison when discussing Heineken with this current formula. No running ability Smith is a strong pass for me, just to make that clear.

Edited by wit33

Taylor Heinicke

-- On winning three in a row:
"It feels great. Going into the bye week having four losses in a row and coming back and winning three in a row, it feels great. The confidence in there is awesome and it really starts with those guys up front – offensive line. They don't get a lot of credit. These last three weeks, they have been phenomenal not just running the ball but protecting me as well. I wanted to give them a shoutout for sure."

-- On the offensive line play:
"It is the confidence that we have had the last two weeks. Tampa Bay has a good rush defense. I think they are second in the league. We had that ten minute drive at the end of the game, kind of ran it down their throat. That kind of gave them the confidence. Again against Carolina, same thing. We keep rolling it over week-to-week. The confidence in that room is at an all-time high. If it is not broke, don't fix it. We gotta keep running the ball, and those guys are doing a great job."

-- On being able to put everything together despite the injuries to key players:
"You know as a player, I don't feel like I'm surprised because you have faith in all of those guys. You see the work that they put in day in and day out and you trust them. We are all doing what we are coached to do, and we are executing at a high level right now. If we keep doing this, we are giving our team a chances to win."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

That's where I am.  I think Heinicke can be serviceable in an offense that schemes around his limitations, but when Wilson launched that rocket down the middle of the field at the end of the game, it is a reminder that the physical ability in being able to put a certain amount of velocity on the ball matters.  

There was no pressure in Wilson's face on that play either.  In fact, he had a running start so he could put his body into it.  Let's not forget that Everett had a brain cramp and forgot his assignment.  That should have been a deep cover 3 with him taking the middle.  Dunno why in the hell he hesitated.

What I got from that play and another where McCain almost tripped on himself trying to carry Lockett across the field amplifies my petition for a legit Free Safety who can cover sideline to sideline.  That to me is the number one position of need in the draft next year.  

2 hours ago, Wayne_Millner said:

There was another QB we had that was undersized, without elite arm strength, mobile and athletic (but not a true runner), had a certain moxie and leadership quality, and was always willing to leave it all on the field to win. 

There is some Joe Theismann in Heinicke (even the unusual last name). And Joey T wasn’t our full time starter until he was 29 years old. 

Not only Joey T, but Drew Brees fits that mold as well.

• Like 1

3-0 in the last three against Newton, Brady and Wilson - coming off his sisters couch studying for some calculus exam

I don't know that he is going to be the "guy" long long term, but if you cant get behind this underdog story at this point you need help - the LEGEND grows!

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's going to be an issue until it isn't.  I love everything about what he's doing with what he has.  I realize it comes across as pooping on the parade to some here, but it's really not that.  I think everyone appreciates everything about the dude.  He has nothing left to give us.  But I'd be lying if I said that I think you can win a Super Bowl with a QB that physically can't make every throw.  I get it - he's got a ton else going for him and I'll enjoy watching it as long as it lasts.  

You must be new to the NFL then.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

Remember when Peyton won w the Broncos?  He literally had no zip on in his passes and zero mobility. He succeeded based on timing and reading the defense. His passes literally were ducks and had very little spiral to them but he did manage to get the ball to the receiver as needed. 

Heinicke may stumble during the next six games but it’s ludicrous to say we can’t win it all with him at quarterback. A healthy Samuels, Thomas, and JD along with Antonio running strong and a defense that continues to play well and you never know what can happen in the playoffs if we can get in. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Remember when Peyton won w the Broncos?  He literally had no zip on in his passes and zero mobility. He succeeded based on timing and reading the defense. His passes literally were ducks and had very little spiral to them but he did manage to get the ball to the receiver as needed. 

Using perhaps the most cerebral quarterback to ever play, a first ballot hall of famer, on his last days as an example of how you can win without having all the throws in the arsenal is a bit of a stretch.

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't see most of these comparisons.

I keep seeing Brett Favre.

Favre, but with less recklessness, less INT's or turnovers, but less arm strength.

There's other differences, but I can't help but to see a mini-Favre.

The most accurate comparison is clearly Romo, but I think folks prefer to liken him to Favre because he was better and not a Cowboy.

He didn't have a cannon but he was shifty and squirted his way out of sacks and busted plays regularly.  Also a small school guy that went undrafted. 

• Like 2

I fully expect this organization to screw this all up by brining in someone else to start next year because he “can’t make all the throws”

I love watching him play. It’s exciting to see a qb that isn’t afraid to stand in the pocket and isn’t afraid to throw the ball around at any time. 

he’s got all the intangibles. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

Taylor is the NFL's best story since Kurt Warner!

Main differences - Warner was filling shopping bags, while Heinicke was completing Finals for numerous genius subjects.

And that Super Bowl ring, too :)

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I fully expect this organization to screw this all up by brining in someone else to start next year because he “can’t make all the throws”

I love watching him play. It’s exciting to see a qb that isn’t afraid to stand in the pocket and isn’t afraid to throw the ball around at any time. 

he’s got all the intangibles. 

Look at how our OL protection broke down so much, especially with a 4th string Center.

And think about this : how many more sacks would most QB's have gotten, while Heinicke was able to slip out of them all, or nearly all of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

He wouldn't be the first QB that can't make all the throws that gets discarded by a team chasing more from their QB.  What ends up happening, the physically limited QB that got discarded, ends up not being able to sustain the success they had elsewhere, or even come close to it.  At the same time, the team chasing more at QB, swings and misses.  The last example I can recall of this is the Vikings and Case Keenum.  They were correct that he wasn't a franchise QB, but they were wrong in that they could build a good enough team around Cousins and his contract to take them to the next level.

28 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Heinicke may stumble during the next six games but it’s ludicrous to say we can’t win it all with him at quarterback. A healthy Samuels, Thomas, and JD along with Antonio running strong and a defense that continues to play well and you never know what can happen in the playoffs if we can get in. 

Denver won because they had one of the ten best defenses of all time. Manning literally did nothing.