Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

A self professed fan IS running the franchise.

He owns the team, but he's not building the roster or managing the contracts so we don't go into cap hell.  Front Office has to think about the future even if we don't want to, thats my point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

He owns the team, but he's not building the roster or managing the contracts so we don't go into cap hell.  Front Office has to think about the future even if we don't want to, thats my point 

No, that's true.

He just hires everyone that is.

• Like 1

And some wonder why there's a twinkle of hope around what our eyes have seen with TH#4.

This article from the WaPo sums it up nicely.

"...the Redskins drafted the quarterback who was going to be their future. They took Shuler with the third pick of the 1994 draft, and it seemed like the perfect choice. Shuler had been a star at the University of Tennessee, turning pro after his junior season. He projected as a superstar, with the size and athleticism that coaches love and the ability to rocket throws past defenders with uncanny accuracy.

Norv Turner, the Redskins’ coach at the time, saw in Shuler a player he once turned into a Hall of Famer when he was offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. He saw Troy Aikman.

Instead, his selection was the beginning of a cascade of botched or ill-fated quarterback decisions that has put the Redskins back in the same place a quarter of a century later: desperate to draft a quarterback who can stop the franchise from careening into irrelevance and bring back winning again. Long before Alex Smith’s leg broke and the ensuing surgeries to remove infection from the wound left Washington looking for its next quarterback, Shuler arrived heralded as a savior before he left with a 4-9 record and six more interceptions than touchdown passes."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/23/years-ago-redskins-picked-wrong-qb-heath-shuler-is-fine-team-isnt/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, petey hodge said:

“To this day I don’t think anyone can figure out why Heath Shuler wasn’t successful,” Cameron says. “He had all the measurables for a guy to be successful. It just didn’t happen.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/23/years-ago-redskins-picked-wrong-qb-heath-shuler-is-fine-team-isnt/

Therein lies the rub.  Never chose any of my QBs because they were the right height, arm strength, or athleticism.  I looked for the following three characteristics; in order.

1) Leadership.  Your QB is a field general.  Even in the huddle he must speak with authority and make his team mates believe that if they do their jobs then every play will work. 

2) Toughness.  The last thing your players need to see is your QB lying on the ground every time he gets leveled.  If nothing is broken you better bounce up quick!

3) Football smart.  Must be a quick thinker able to grasp the offense and know what the defense is doing.  From presnap to post snap must be able to make quick decisions.  Some of the best QBs I coached used to finish play calls before I could even get the call out of my mouth.  They were already thinking what I was thinking.  

Measurables are VASTLY over rated.  

Another problem with Shuler.  He didn't have "it."  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

And some wonder why there's a twinkle of hope around what our eyes have seen with TH#4.

This article from the WaPo sums it up nicely.

"...the Redskins drafted the quarterback who was going to be their future. They took Shuler with the third pick of the 1994 draft, and it seemed like the perfect choice. Shuler had been a star at the University of Tennessee, turning pro after his junior season. He projected as a superstar, with the size and athleticism that coaches love and the ability to rocket throws past defenders with uncanny accuracy.

Norv Turner, the Redskins’ coach at the time, saw in Shuler a player he once turned into a Hall of Famer when he was offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. He saw Troy Aikman.

Instead, his selection was the beginning of a cascade of botched or ill-fated quarterback decisions that has put the Redskins back in the same place a quarter of a century later: desperate to draft a quarterback who can stop the franchise from careening into irrelevance and bring back winning again. Long before Alex Smith’s leg broke and the ensuing surgeries to remove infection from the wound left Washington looking for its next quarterback, Shuler arrived heralded as a savior before he left with a 4-9 record and six more interceptions than touchdown passes."

So you’re saying the Turners are geniuses in turning afterthought QBs into mediocre ones?

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

Therein lies the rub.  Never chose any of my QBs because they were the right height, arm strength, or athleticism.  I looked for the following three characteristics; in order.

1) Leadership.  Your QB is a field general.  Even in the huddle he must speak with authority and make his team mates believe that if they do their jobs then every play will work. 

2) Toughness.  The last thing you're players need to see is your QB lying on the ground every time he gets leveled.  If nothing is broken you better bounce up quick!

3) Football smart.  Must be a quick thinker able to grasp the offense and know what the defense is doing.  From presnap to post snap must be able to make quick decisions.  Some of the best QBs I coached used to finish play calls before I could even get the call out of my mouth.  They were already thinking what I was thinking.  

Scouts (and fans) are obsessed with the muscles generating Taylor's [questionable] arm strength... when the muscle between his ears matters most. 

Killer instinct... he got it!

That being said, I am not a "give him a big contract NOW" bandwagon... I want to see one full year of starts just like his critics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

2) Toughness.  The last thing you're players need to see is your QB lying on the ground every time he gets leveled.  If nothing is broken you better bounce up quick!

Great post, and here is what those things are not:

1. Leadership is not "know your why"

2. Toughness is not refusing to slide and letting defensive behemoths beat on you to prove some kind of half-assed point.  

3. Football Smart is not in year #2 refusing to run certain plays, and insist on being molded into something you are not overnight.  

We had a guy like that here once.  He was drafted very high in the draft, and was crowned from day #1.  I was part of the problem.  I crowned him also.  I don't know that he ever understood how lucky he was to be here, and most importantly what it would take for him to stay here.

Measurables are VASTLY overrated.  Not everybody follows the same path to success in life.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Longtime lurker of the board, but #4 inspired me to join.

I fricken love the guy. Most fun quarterbacking play I can remember for Washington certainly since 2012 Bob.

Do I blame anyone for having some trepidation with the small sample size and the actual likelihood we stumbled upon a legitimate starting QB that was sitting on his sisters couch less than 365 days ago? Not at all.

Do I understand that this guy has proven he can play, regardless of physical limitations? Absolutely. There’s something about this guy that just really makes you wonder if he can be the one in a million. He’s an absolute baller, and guys will play for him. That’s more than half the battle right there.

Look forward to seeing where this thing takes us. God knows we are due for some blind luck around here.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

I’m telling you guys when you come to Lambeau we’re in for a tough game.

:beavisnbutthead:

Oh by the way, why is your avatar WFT and you are a Pack fan and you always say your team sucks. I take it you still haven't come out of the closet yet. 

3 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

I’m telling you guys when you come to Lambeau we’re in for a tough game.

I’ll pull for the kid in a bud light hat taking college courses a year ago over the ****y meditating millionaire with a man bun.

• Like 1