Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

9 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I was under the impression that you only had to get it once.  

I also recently learned, I embarrassed to say, that the vaccine does not prevent you from getting Covid, just that it makes symptoms less severe.  I had no clue, I thought people who got the vaccine couldn't get the virus.  Are all vaccines like that?

yes

42 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I also recently learned, I embarrassed to say, that the vaccine does not prevent you from getting Covid, just that it makes symptoms less severe.  I had no clue, I thought people who got the vaccine couldn't get the virus.  Are all vaccines like that?

No vaccine (nor natural immunity) makes it impossible for the organism to ever be present in your body. 

Immunity (whether due to vaccine or natural) simply means that there won't be enough of the beasties to give you the disease. Your body will respond before it gets to that point. 

Now, whether this vaccine does so to the same degree as most vaccines, I don't know. Just saying no vaccine guarantees zero organisms. 

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Not that I know of, but Moderna is a two shot, thats what I got. Everyone will react differently, im convinced it was worth it.

Vaccination Rates Are Going Back up Thanks to the Teens

After vaccination rates declined earlier this month, the United States’ campaign to get every American inoculated against COVID-19 got a much needed boost from the youths.

According to the New York Times, 2.5 million children aged 12 to 15 have gotten at least one dose of the vaccine and 23 percent of kids aged 12 to 17 have received at least one dose.

Earlier this month public health experts began fretting about declining vaccine rates as most of the adults who wanted a vaccine were able to access one. Now the concern is about how to get the message to anti-vaxxers and how to reached historically underserved communities.

Vaccine rates began to climb again after Pfizer authorized children ages 12 and up to receive the shot and parents, eager for their children to enjoy some semblance of a summer vacation, quickly signed them up for their shots.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, RedskinsVa7 said:

Phizer, Johnson and Johnson etc... look at there TRACK RECORDS and tell me if you would feel safe knowing they made a vaccine. They all rushed it cause it's about Money.

A few things:

1. It is totally fine to be skeptical about large pharmaceutical companies – there is a track record of shadiness, shameful price gouging, BS lobbying efforts etc.

2. This is the worst pandemic in 100 years, and as we're seeing across the globe, if you allow the virus to spread it will continue becoming more fit and more transmissible and in some cases more severe - while there is a limit to how much it can mutate, the reality is we didn't have 4-5 years to wait on a medical approach, and the nature of the virus eliminated the ability for public health alone to address it like SARS, which did not spread asymptomatically and had an incubation of just 1-2 days - much easier to handle even though it was a far more severe virus.

3. Each company involved here has massive incentive to not mess this up – you're going to be administering this to hundreds of millions, maybe billions across the globe when all is said and done - you mess that up, your business is catastrophically damaged in the eyes of regulators, governments and consumers. This vaccine campaign could not afford to be half-assed. The FDA upped the usual standards for EUAs and corners were not cut - Phase I, II and III trials were done and two months of safety data was tracked - 90% of vaccine side effects occur within 40-45 days, so they built in another 15 and they're still tracking signals.

4. Let's put this in perspective - you interact with big companies every day with awful track records - your phone, the food you eat, the car you drive etc. All these companies have probably done things that would make you go WTF. And most Americans eat things every day with a much more proven risk of long-term side effects - junk, processed foods, trans fats, added sugars galore etc. If I'm willing to order Wendy's on the regular, and crave fountain soda, I'm willing to put a tiny piece of mRNA into my body.

5. The vaccines weren't "rushed" we simply have better technology than we did in the past, and we were already working on vaccines for other coronaviruses, allowing us to speed up the process. This logic is like saying why would I trust a current car when it took us way longer to put together a Ford Model T. Yeah, I hope so, it's 2021.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

A few things:

1. It is totally fine to be skeptical about large pharmaceutical companies – there is a track record of shadiness, shameful price gouging, BS lobbying efforts etc.

2. This is the worst pandemic in 100 years, and as we're seeing across the globe, if you allow the virus to spread it will continue becoming more fit and more transmissible and in some cases more severe - while there is a limit to how much it can mutate, the reality is we didn't have 4-5 years to wait on a medical approach, and the nature of the virus eliminated the ability for public health alone to address it like SARS, which did not spread asymptomatically and had an incubation of just 1-2 days - much easier to handle even though it was a far more severe virus.

3. Each company involved here has massive incentive to not mess this up – you're going to be administering this to hundreds of millions, maybe billions across the globe when all is said and done - you mess that up, your business is catastrophically damaged in the eyes of regulators, governments and consumers. This vaccine campaign could not afford to be half-assed. The FDA upped the usual standards for EUAs and corners were not cut - Phase I, II and III trials were done and two months of safety data was tracked - 90% of vaccine side effects occur within 40-45 days, so they built in another 15 and they're still tracking signals.

4. Let's put this in perspective - you interact with big companies every day with awful track records - your phone, the food you eat, the car you drive etc. All these companies have probably done things that would make you go WTF. And most Americans eat things every day with a much more proven risk of long-term side effects - junk, processed foods, trans fats, added sugars galore etc. If I'm willing to order Wendy's on the regular, and crave fountain soda, I'm willing to put a tiny piece of mRNA into my body.

5. The vaccines weren't "rushed" we simply have better technology than we did in the past, and we were already working on vaccines for other coronaviruses, allowing us to speed up the process. This logic is like saying why would I trust a current car when it took us way longer to put together a Ford Model T. Yeah, I hope so, it's 2021.

Very good points! When I was afforded the opportunity to get vaccinated, all hesitation was gone immediately because my governor was opening up Texas and there were lots of people who weren't willing to get vaccinated. I want a reasonable life, aside from my medical limitations, and getting vaccinated is making that possible. I will spend time with my family this weekend, the first since Christmas besides my daughter taking me to some appointments. I'm glad we have multiple vaccines so people can protect themselves and others. It's good news that wearing masks and social distancing is keeping flu cases down too. Yay for modern science and that we can get vaccinated for free! That's pretty incredible!

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, abdcskins said:

Some people will it a second time because of running into a variant / getting a massive infectious dose. Rare though. The vaccines, especially mRNA, will absolutely SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your odds of infection but nothing is 100%. This messaging needs to be updated - people are still relaying the precautionary messaging of health experts when the vaccines first released months ago - they had to say that because we didn't have real world data yet to fully validate even though basically every vaccine reduces transmission. We have real world data now - CDC study found 90% reduction in transmission after full mRNA vaccination. Below are some other infection rates post vaccination in big real world observations ... Consistently under 1 percent.

I know some folks are still worried about being around unvaccinated people - the data is clear. If you tell me I have under a 1 percent chance of betting infected, I'm living normal life. And most of those infections are asymptomatic.

image.thumb.png.7341560eb7a28766767bdc65066fae8f.png

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 1

Twelve U.S. states have 70% of adults at least partially vaccinated

Twelve U.S. states now have 70% of adult residents who have had at least one Covid vaccine shot, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data published Tuesday shows.

California and Maryland most recently reported crossing the milestone, joining Vermont, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire.

President Joe Biden has set a goal of having one shot or more administered to 70% of those 18 and older by July 4. On Wednesday, he will speak about the state of the vaccination campaign and declare June as a national month of action to get more people vaccinated.

The seven-day average of daily U.S. infections remained below 20,000 for the second straight day Tuesday, though many states did not publish data over the Memorial Day holiday and may still be catching up on reporting.

CDC data shows that about 51% of Americans have received at least one dose and about 41% are fully vaccinated.

• Like 2

The unseen covid-19 risk for unvaccinated people

The country’s declining covid-19 case rates present an unrealistically optimistic perspective for half of the nation — the half that is still not vaccinated.

As more people receive vaccines, covid-19 cases are occurring mostly in the increasingly narrow slice of the unprotected population. So The Washington Post adjusted its case, death and hospitalization rates to account for that — and found that in some places, the virus continues to rage among those who haven’t received a shot.

The rosy national figures showing declining case numbers led the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to loosen mask recommendations two weeks ago and President Biden to advise people to take off their masks and smile.

But adjustments for vaccinations show the rate among susceptible, unvaccinated people is 73 percent higher than the standard figures being publicized. With that adjustment, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago and is barely inching down. The adjusted hospitalization rate is as high as it was three months ago. The case rate is still declining after the adjustment.

Unvaccinated people are getting the wrong message, experts said.

“They think it’s safe to take off the mask. It’s not,” said Lynn Goldman, dean of the Milken Institute School of Public Health at George Washington University. “It looks like fewer numbers, looks like it’s getting better, but it’s not necessarily better for those who aren’t vaccinated.”

• Like 2

Newly-Passed Illinois Bill Lets Bars Give a Free Drink to Vaccinated Customers

A bill passed by Illinois lawmakers over the weekend would let bars and restaurants give out a free alcoholic drink to customers who have gotten vaccinated against COVID-19.

The so-called "shot and a beer" provision is part of a bill that also allows bars and restaurants to serve ****tails to go, a measure that served as a lifeline to struggling businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Illinois House passed Senate Bill 104 on Thursday. The Senate passed the final version of the bill Sunday, sending it to Gov. J.B. Pritzker's desk. Pritzker has not yet indicated whether or not he plans to sign it.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

On one hand, I think it's stupid for bars to do that. That said, I'm a little surprised that a private business needs a bill to give any customer something on the house. Isn't that their business, not ours? 

I understand that a lot of states have laws forbidding offering any "sale" or "discount" on alcoholic beverages. 

Yup. 

here you can’t even comp alcohol for legit purposes. Like a really bad experience we would comp their whole bill but any alcohol had to be paid for and there wasn’t anything we could do about it. 

Toronto strip club set to vaccinate sex workers

Zanzibar Tavern will be doling out COVID-19 vaccines Friday afternoon.

Maggie’s Toronto Sex Workers Action Project is running the clinic at the strip club near Yonge Street and Gerrard Street West from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The location will focus on providing first doses to sex workers and other marginalized communities who have been “left behind in the pandemic.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I understand that a lot of states have laws forbidding offering any "sale" or "discount" on alcoholic beverages. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yup. 

here you can’t even comp alcohol for legit purposes. Like a really bad experience we would comp their whole bill but any alcohol had to be paid for and there wasn’t anything we could do about it. 

Thanks - I had no idea. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

On one hand, I think it's stupid for bars to do that. That said, I'm a little surprised that a private business needs a bill to give any customer something on the house. Isn't that their business, not ours? 

2 hours ago, Larry said:

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Yup. 

Anyone ever had the snack Corn Nuts? The idea was originally brought to the US and sold to tavern owners in Oakland as a free giveaway for bar patrons to snack on. Shortly after they debuted, California passed a law making it illegal to give away food at bars. The brand was then sold to another person who started selling it on the streets. 60 years later it was sold to Nabisco and then sold again to Kraft.

I wonder how many things like this exist because of bad laws?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone ever had the snack Corn Nuts? The idea was originally brought to the US and sold to tavern owners in Oakland as a free giveaway for bar patrons to snack on. Shortly after they debuted, California passed a law making it illegal to give away food at bars. The brand was then sold to another person who started selling it on the streets. 60 years later it was sold to Nabisco and then sold again to Kraft.

I wonder how many things like this exist because of bad laws?

I LOVE CORN NUTS!!!

They have sooooo many different flavors now

• Like 2