Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I assume that would also need FDA approval, no?

I'll just ask for the one meant for horses.

On a more serious note, though, my understanding with the mRNA stuff was that it was supposed to be easy to modify so they could come out with variants pretty rapidly.  And we see new Flu vaccines every year, so I figure there may some kind of system to make this work from an FDA perspective.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Nobody is being “forced” to get vaccinated, they are being forced to accept consequences for their decisions. 

I think that day is coming, I'm ok with it, honestly. The government may not come out and say "vaccines are law", but you're going to see more and more separate entities jump onboard and make vaccines mandatory. Entities that the government can't or won't control, you're starting to see it already with schools, airlines, jobs, insurance companies, cruises, etc.

Funny thing is, if these idiots had just put a mask on, it probably wouldn't have come to any of this...

• Like 4

Switzerland warns of terror attacks on Covid-19 vaccine sites

Switzerland's Federal Intelligence Service is warning of potential terrorist attacks on coronavirus vaccine infrastructure including vaccination centres, transport and manufacturing facilities, newspaper NZZ am Sonntag reported on Sunday (Aug 29).

"Attacks on such targets would both hit large crowds and generate intensive media coverage," the agency's spokesman Isabelle Graber said in a written response to questions from NZZ.

The agency is concerned about attacks from militant groups, the newspaper reported. So far, there are no tangible indications of planned attacks, according to the agency.

Switzerland's vaccine deliveries are coordinated and conducted by the Swiss army. Doses are stored in secret locations.

Click on the link for the full article

Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Travelers Are Going to Different Sets of Caribbean Islands

Adina Eigen took her first trip to the British Virgin Islands in December 2020. Around that time, it had one of the world's lowest Covid rates among islands that had reopened.

The 42-year-old mother of four from Sands Point, New York, has since returned twice, checking infection rates — and vaccination statistics — before her trips.

"The staff at Oil Nut Bay is entirely vaccinated," she said of the luxury resort where her family stayed. "The property is not accessible by land and very closely monitored by sea."

The British Virgin Islands are part of a rising number of Caribbean destinations that attract vaccinated travelers — while proving less attractive to unvaccinated people.

Along with Barbados and St. Lucia, the British Virgin Islands allow unvaccinated travelers to enter only if they quarantine for a duration. Data shows few are willing to do so, especially when they have other options in the Caribbean that don't require quarantines or vaccine certificates.

The relative strictness or leniency of entrance requirements in the Caribbean is reshaping travel trends in the region. Unvaccinated travelers are gravitating to the islands that will let them in, while the vaccinated want places that keep the unimmunized out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

SORRYANTIVAXXER.COM

Welcome to sorryantivaxxer.com, a repository of stories of anti-vaxxers who died or came close to dying of COVID needlessly from their own scientifically un-sound and stubborn beliefs. 

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

Republicans are trying desperately to purge democrats from voter rolls faster than their own voters are purging themselves. 

Honolulu to require vaccine or negative COVID-19 test at most indoor businesses

The city of Honolulu has implemented an indoor vaccine requirement for most public businesses, set to begin next month.

All patrons will need to show proof of vaccination or a recent negative COVID-19 test to enter restaurants, bars, museums, theaters and other establishments.

• Like 2

Reminder there is no approval or authorization for boosters in the U.S. except for immune compromised people. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices is leaning against them right now as the data does not support a desperate need for boosters outside of Israel (where none of their findings/methodology is published at all).

We wanted science to be followed before getting vaccinated, it should be followed here as well. There is safety data etc. that needs to be assessed by the FDA and Pfizer is doing a RCT of boosters so we actually know the impact. Real-world data from Israel shows basically no impact on severe illness (because it was already low with two doses).

36 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Reminder there is no approval or authorization for boosters in the U.S. except for immune compromised people. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices is leaning against them right now as the data does not support a desperate need for boosters outside of Israel (where none of their findings/methodology is published at all).

We wanted science to be followed before getting vaccinated, it should be followed here as well. There is safety data etc. that needs to be assessed by the FDA and Pfizer is doing a RCT of boosters so we actually know the impact. Real-world data from Israel shows basically no impact on severe illness (because it was already low with two doses).

I kind of wish the booster was engineered like we do the flu shot. Each year, we rejigger the flu shot to fight what we think will be the next strain. If the booster was designed specifically to defeat the variant or to attack the variant in a way the original vaccines don't then I'd be more excited about it. 

13 minutes ago, Borgold said:

I kind of wish the booster was engineered like we do the flu shot. Each year, we rejigger the flu shot to fight what we think will be the next strain. If the booster was designed specifically to defeat the variant or to attack the variant in a way the original vaccines don't then I'd be more excited about it. 

I'm part of the Johnson & Johnson long term vaccine study group. I had my initial vaccine way back end of last summer ( I was unblinded when I became eligible for the vaccine 'normally'). I am scheduled for a booster shot this Friday - they are starting testing reactions from the booster and impact on antibodies.

• Thanks 7

39 minutes ago, Borgold said:

That's idea of mRNA, just recode the mRNA sequence as the virus changes.

Pfizer partner to test COVID vaccine targeting Delta variant this month

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Inside a Florida Hospital Full of Dying, Unvaxxed Thirtysomethings

After ending a 12-hour shift on Sunday, an intensive-care unit nurse at Baptist Hospital was ready to put August behind her.

The nurse, who spoke on condition of anonymity because she did not have permission from the hospital to speak to reporters, said the past month was the worst of the pandemic so far—echoing the horrific hard numbers in the state.

“It’s horrible,” the nurse told The Daily Beast. “I’ve never bagged so many thirtysomething-year-olds, leaving behind young kids, pregnant wives.”

“The screams when we tell them their loved ones didn’t make it,” the nurse added. “We’re exhausted.”

Across much of America, frontline hospital workers are going through similar stress and fatigue as they grapple with a devastating coronavirus surge primarily fueled by the Delta variant and vaccine hesitancy. But in Florida, experts and medical workers say, a uniquely stubborn and denialist Gov. Ron DeSantis has helped transform hot vaxx summer into a summer from hell.

With skyrocketing numbers of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths this summer, any optimism that the Sunshine State was rounding the corner on the pandemic has been laid to waste. And September may not offer any respite.

• Sad 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sweetgreen-ceo-criticized-after-connecting-the-pandemic-to-unhealthy-eating-incredibly-fat-phobic/ar-AAO1p1S

CEO of Sweetgreen vilified for publicly stating the obvious. Most Covid hospitalizations are for obese people. Now he’s being called out for ‘fat shaming’.  This country is so weird.  Instead of losing weight, people would rather wear a mask and stand in line for their triple cheeseburger and Coke.

• Thumb down 2

34 minutes ago, mojo said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sweetgreen-ceo-criticized-after-connecting-the-pandemic-to-unhealthy-eating-incredibly-fat-phobic/ar-AAO1p1S

CEO of Sweetgreen vilified for publicly stating the obvious. Most Covid hospitalizations are for obese people. Now he’s being called out for ‘fat shaming’.  This country is so weird.  Instead of losing weight, people would rather wear a mask and stand in line for their triple cheeseburger and Coke.

Dont tell us.  Go out and tell your people.

77CD64C7-377D-4244-B2EC-6191DDDF9E35.jpeg

• Haha 3

Ask for COVID vaccine proof, face a $5,000 fine in Florida

Florida will start issuing $5,000 fines to businesses, schools and government agencies that require people to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination.

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill earlier this year that banned vaccine passports. The fines will start Sept. 16 if people are asked to show proof of a vaccine.

"Promises made, promises kept," DeSantis spokesperson Taryn Fenske said Wednesday.

The statute reads that a business entity “...may not require patrons or customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19 vaccination or postinfection recovery to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business operations in this state.”

The same rules apply to governmental entities and educational institutions.

The statute continues by stating that it does not otherwise restrict businesses, government entities or educational institutions “from instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.”

Finally, the statute reads, “The department may impose a fine not to exceed $5,000 per violation.”

Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, the state's only statewide elected Democrat and a candidate hoping to challenge DeSantis for governor next year, was critical of the fines.

“Governor DeSantis is retaliating against Floridians who are trying to protect themselves and their communities from COVID-19," Fried said in an emailed statement. “This not only goes against common sense — it’s also an insult to the free market principles that he claims to champion."

1 hour ago, mojo said:

Wear a mask, get vaccinated, AND EAT HEALTHY. We are a nation of fat ****s, and the typical American diet is crap. It's good when people call out the country on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mojo said:

Dude, ****ing stop.

If you caught COVID and happen to be overweight or an overweight family member had the same thing happen, and you went to the hospital and they said "Stop eating so much. There's the door, good luck." you'd (rightfully) go ape****.

We have a public health emergency right now and telling people to lose weight isn't a way to stop the spread of a highly contagious and deadly virus. Vaccines and masks are.

Now, once we get things under control if you want to go on a tear about obesity in the USA and it's health implications as well as implications for diseases like COVID-19 mortality, then great. It can be discussed and hopefully some good societal changes can come about from it.

But that's a process that's going to take many years. We don't have that sort of time right now. Just get the vaccine and wear a goddamn mask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1