Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Evidently Kirk Cousins USED to be a spokesperson for Michigan’s Holland Hospital.  They dropped him because of his anti-van stance.

Yup they sure did. His values don't align with the hospital's value of course. Maybe he will lose other sponsors too. 

9 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

I vassilate between feeling no compassion for these idiots and feeling sorry they were mislead by predators with a megaphone and an audience.

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if anyone explained to him that it's still your immune system that fights off the disease. The vaccine just trains your immune system on how to immediately recognize and fight it well.

That's like saying "I'm going to rely on my own body to perform this athletic event", then when someone asks how they're training for the event...lifting weights, cardio, etc...they say "SCREW THAT, I'M NOT DOING ANY OF THAT CRAP TO MY BODY!"

This is a FANTASTIC analogy.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, China said:

Just throw these ****ing assholes off the side of their flat earth society already.  I cant take it amymore.

• Like 2

One of my stupid friends on Facebook shared a thing about the unvaccinated people are stupid or selfish, they are just being reasonably cautious and have sensible concerns.  So I responded:

Yea, people need to do their own research.  Do people not realize that EVERY SINGLE PERSON (that’s 100%) that got the smallpox vaccine the first year it was available is now DEAD?!?!  

So many sheeple.

I wonder if she will realize I’m trolling her.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It's very hard to explain to friends that headlines like XX% of people in the hospital are vaccinated is not a sign the vaccines are failing.

The fact that it is hard to explain to them that XX% of people in the hospital is not a sign that vaccines are failing is, in fact, a sign that the education system in America is failing.  How did we get so damn dumb in less than a century?

--edit-- Apologies @Sticksboi05, I re-read what I wrote and realized it could be taken as a swipe at you.  It wasn't.  Have just been frustrated dealing with people like you described all day and it was them the comment was directed towards.

Edited by Jabbyrwock
Clarification

Just now, Jabbyrwock said:

The fact that it is hard to explain to them that XX% of people in the hospital is not a sign that vaccines are failing is, in fact, a sign that the education system in America is failing.  How did we get so damn dumb in less than a century?

We don’t invest in children or education. I was never taught in school how to determine fake info from real info I just learned it over time. I think that’s a big problem, more so now than ever because of social media. 

• Like 4

A single dose of the Covid-19 vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson is highly effective in preventing severe illness and death from the Delta and Beta variants of the coronavirus, data from a clinical trial in South Africa suggest.

The study is the first real-world test of the vaccine’s efficacy against Delta, a highly contagious variant of the virus surging across the United States and much of the world. South Africa’s Ministry of Health reported these preliminary results at a news conference on Friday. The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I was never taught in school how to determine fake info from real info

Eh, I was in our school district. 

it just wasn’t taught in the context of the internet and main stream news outlets (I realize many of these outlets rose from the “we’re not mainstream media” thread but at this point, for a certain segment, they are their “mainstream” of news and information…) intentionally misleading you for political purposes. 

Fist, second, third hand sources. Citing sources. Understanding motive/target audience/bias. Scientific method/peer review. 

it was all part of it. Hell, we had entire projects like book reports where the real objective was to practice this stuff. 

I guess it was also taught in the “this is how you do a book report” context as opposed to “this is how you have to navigate life” context…

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

Eh, I was in our school district. 

it just wasn’t taught in the context of the internet and main stream news outlets (I realize many of these outlets rose from the “we’re not mainstream media” thread but at this point, for a certain segment, they are their “mainstream” of news and information…) intentionally misleading you for political purposes. 

Fist, second, third hand sources. Citing sources. Understanding motive/target audience/bias. Scientific method/peer review. 

it was all part of it. Hell, we had entire projects like book reports where the real objective was to practice this stuff. 

I guess it was also taught in the “this is how you do a book report” context as opposed to “this is how you have to navigate life” context…

You know what, you are right. Citing sources was drilled into us so much that I didn't even think of it as the same thing. I remember actually getting in a bit of trouble because I didn't cite sources in one class in particular. 

It all comes back when I think about the context of a book report, but it is all the same stuff. Same skill just used in a much more evolved context (I guess?). Interesting to think about how fast this stuff changed. It was only 20 years ago when I used to have to go to encyclopedias for information. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You know what, you are right. Citing sources was drilled into us so much that I didn't even think of it as the same thing. I remember actually getting in a bit of trouble because I didn't cite sources in one class in particular. 

It all comes back when I think about the context of a book report, but it is all the same stuff. Same skill just used in a much more evolved context (I guess?). Interesting to think about how fast this stuff changed. It was only 20 years ago when I used to have to go to encyclopedias for information. 

Although people now use op-eds or random internet posts as sources a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The inability to critically think is causing the downfall of America. This anti vax stuff is just a symptom of that.

and the other issue I think goes along with this, is this bull**** notion that just because you have an opinion it deserves respect. 

People have their wires crossed. What deserves respect is how you form your opinions, how you share/defend your opinions, and how you go about resolving conflicts with other opinions. 

but the sheer act of forming an opinion is not what’s worthy of respect. 

these people lack basic perspective and understanding of these things. It’s crazy to watch in action with someone you know or have a real relationship with. 

1 hour ago, steve09ru said:

Although people now use op-eds or random internet posts as sources a lot of the time.

well yeah that’s part of it. Not understanding the difference between a paper and its editorial board, or op-eds, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2021 at 9:46 AM, SkinInsite said:

<Dancing Pallbearers video>

On an unrelated note- my girlfriend lost her mother a few weeks ago (not COVID) and while everyone was and still is incredibly sad, my GF's 12-year-old nephew googled funeral videos to understand what happens at a funeral) and found this.  He fully thought we were about to do this with his grandmother's casket and was explaining it to his little sister in great detail. It was a good laugh in what was an absolutely brutal week.

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

On an unrelated note- my girlfriend lost her mother a few weeks ago (not COVID) and while everyone was and still is incredibly sad, my GF's 12-year-old nephew googled funeral videos to understand what happens at a funeral) and found this.  He fully thought we were about to do this with his grandmother's casket and was explaining it to his little sister in great detail. It was a good laugh in what was an absolutely brutal week.

So what you're saying is, "he did his own research"?  

• Haha 7