Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

11 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

UGH. "I can't wait to boomer it up as much as possible after being vaccinated"

I get the positive feelings over getting your shot and the feeling like the light is at the end of the tunnel. But I'm not changing my habits at least a few months. I owe that to the people who have passed and the people who have put their lives on hold to stop this ****. 

I think there certainly has to be a balance.  Like, I'm not going to any indoor concerts, and sadly probably no Caps or Nats games.  But I sure as hell am going to go out to eat at restaurants and otherwise do some of the things that i used to do, which I feel like I owe to the local economy and all of the people that were laid off and need people to start doing things again so they can earn a living.  I will certainly continue to wear a mask unless I am actively stuffing my face and attempt to stay socially distant from strangers.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think there certainly has to be a balance.  Like, I'm not going to any indoor concerts, and sadly probably no Caps or Nats games.  But I sure as hell am going to go out to eat at restaurants and otherwise do some of the things that i used to do, which I feel like I owe to the local economy and all of the people that were laid off and need people to start doing things again so they can earn a living.  I will certainly continue to wear a mask unless I am actively stuffing my face and attempt to stay socially distant from strangers.  

Yep, that's a healthy mindset for sure. It's just not a lightswitch situation that people think a vaccine is. And I wonder how much of the demand is people's wish for things to be "normal" for them. Not everyone else. Them. I'm probably just being hostile! ;

I'll definitely keep my mask on for a while as well and am interested in seeing how much it changes our life and routines in future years. 

• Like 2

I don't know if it's the distancing, the mask, the copious hand washing or some magical juju, but this winter was the first in forever when I didn't get anything.  No cold, cough, strep, nothing.  Even after the pandemic is over, I might continue to wear masks during the winter when going to crowded places.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't know if it's the distancing, the mask, the copious hand washing or some magical juju, but this winter was the first in forever when I didn't get anything.  No cold, cough, strep, nothing.  Even after the pandemic is over, I might continue to wear masks during the winter when going to crowded places.

Heard a health expert on NPR a week or so ago. Saying that as bad as the last few months were, we really dodged a bullet. 

The "twindemic " people were worried about didn't happen. Seems that flu cases this winter are like 1% of normal. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, clietas said:

I'll keep wearing a mask until this is all over. I aint going back to shaking hands either. Nasty and antiquated. :bye:

Not being argumentative, just curious to hear, what will be your trigger to stop wearing a mask? I'm always interested to learn what people consider as "all over" with this virus. 

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That's how I am handling it.  Also considering I've been going to the gym for the past 4 months or so without issue, I truly believe that taking precautions and being careful does wonders.  That on top of the vaccine nearly makes you feel invincible.

We do plan on traveling this year though.  We are just about to book a trip in May for the first time since last March.  We're going back to St. Thomas which is ironically where we were last March when **** hit the fan.  We were there when the NBA, NHL, and borders out of the country closed down. 

Then after that we have 3 other vacations + a trip to North Carolina already planned this year.  A trip to Puerto Rico has already been booked for August as has the trip to North Carolina in July.  Then in October it's Roatan and November it's Aruba for my 40th.

I miss traveling and can't wait to get back to it.  I'm dying to get back to SCUBA too.

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not being argumentative, just curious to hear, what will be your trigger to stop wearing a mask? I'm always interested to learn what people consider as "all over" with this virus. 

When the scientific consensus is that the threat has past and a mask is no longer required I guess.

Tough question tho cuz you're exactly right how will one know when it's "all over"? 

• Thanks 1

Regarding masks, I will probably be among the last to stop wearing one.  Despite some snowflake "patriots" complaining, I don't find them to be the least bit annoying, other than when i want to wear sunglasses and they fog up.  And like @bearrockI haven't been sick since last winter.  #jinx.  And that's with a baby in daycare in the house.  When my first kid started daycare I was sick for like 5 months straight with a variety of chimeric afflictions. 

I also booked a trip for July to Hilton Head.  Going to be staying with about 30 people, all family, no old people.  It's a trip my cousins and i have been trying to do for literally a decade, so we're doing it.  Bonus:  2 of my cousins are MAGA, so I'll wear a mask just to annoy them (when I'm not drinking, which will be never). 

Unlike, hell, a month ago, we are back to the summer stage where taking calculated risks to get some semblance of normalcy back is okay.  Don't be reckless, but if you have things that you really want to do (like go to the gym for @purbeast or whatever), then you should do that while taking whatever precautions are appropriate to minimize the risk.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 5

I don't mind my masks, either...it's another piece of Caps/Team gear I can wear  :).  I'm definitely looking forward to jumping in a car and driving off into the sunset somewhere. 

15 minutes ago, clietas said:

When the scientific consensus is that the threat has past and a mask is no longer required I guess.

Tough question tho cuz you're exactly right how will one know when it's "all over"? 

For me, it's when Dr. Fauci says so. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What does that mean though? Do you expect Dr. Fauci to ever state that the virus is "all over" here? Maybe I'm missing something, but who can guarantee that a virus is completely gone? That's a lot to put on Fauci. 

Assuming that the virus doesn't morph into something that completely evades the effects of vaccination, I think CDC and experts will say at some point that people can go back to pre-pandamic behavior (no requirement for social distancing, no mask mandate, etc).  We may be some ways away yet though.

If virus mutation makes vaccines completely ineffective, then I don't know where that leaves us (probably some mix of risk/reward with increased good hygiene by all).  

Just now, bearrock said:

Assuming that the virus doesn't morph into something that completely evades the effects of vaccination, I think CDC and experts will say at some point that people can go back to pre-pandamic behavior (no requirement for social distancing, no mask mandate, etc).  We may be some ways away yet though.

If virus mutation makes vaccines completely ineffective, then I don't know where that leaves us (probably some mix of risk/reward with increased good hygiene by all).  

OK that's fair. I just think it's dangerous to say "when this is over" with Covid. I think, in many ways, we won't really ever get back to pre-pandemic behavior. That's why I ask these questions when people say that. What's the trigger or alarm that's going to happen? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What does that mean though? Do you expect Dr. Fauci to ever state that the virus is "all over" here? Maybe I'm missing something, but who can guarantee that a virus is completely gone? That's a lot to put on Fauci. 

Truth be told, I don't ever expect him to say that.  It was more of a statement that his expertise is the gold standard & pretty much the only voice I value on the subject.

I got a call from my county in MD letting me know they haven’t forgotten That I still need a shot, but they still don’t have enough. This is an issue statewide.

in VA, my 16 old niece with no med issues got her second shot.

Edited by ClaytoAli

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Beauty of mRNA you simply update the genetic code to match the variant. We will never be at a point where we cannot make a vaccine. The question is how fast. 60 Minutes will detail this on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

OK that's fair. I just think it's dangerous to say "when this is over" with Covid. I think, in many ways, we won't really ever get back to pre-pandemic behavior. That's why I ask these questions when people say that. What's the trigger or alarm that's going to happen? 

The virus will eventually lose, the vaccines while not sterilizing will reduce transmission. Even if's by like 70 percent or 60 percent, that is substantial. Combine that with basic measures and you get the R0 below 1 and cases contract. Good news is data shows just one dose starts minimizing transmission.

Or, we see a scenario where over the year after making its way through humanity it becomes less severe. The half dozen coronaviruses that now cause common colds were all more severe when first introduced to humans.

It will never be "gone" but it won't be in pandemic phase forever, which is all that matters. Not an equal comparison but we didn't get rid of plague after the worst pandemic ever, we just got antibiotics.

• Like 3

This is a pretty good site that sends out daily Covid updates & opinions:

Daily Review of Covid-19 Research and Policy by Doctors on the Frontlines

https://brief19.com/      

Here's some comments from today's update:

When will life return to normal? That depends on what "normal" is." We may have a "new normal" in which we don't shake hands anymore (or at least without hand sanitizer at the ready) and wear masks in the winter months, as many do in East Asia.

Once the vast majority of people have been vaccinated, coronavirus vaccination will likely become one of the essential childhood vaccinations (assuming we don't need frequent boosters for variant strains). At some point, newborns will constitute the majority of persons entering the population who are susceptible. Realistically, SARS-CoV-2 will likely become “endemic” in much of the world, meaning the virus is permanently among us, though at lower levels. 

1 hour ago, China said:

Fairfax county is still telling me they're scheduling people who signed up on January 18th.  That's what they've been saying for the last two weeks.  

Yes.  My in-laws signed up that day around 1:30.  They were contacted on Tuesday to make an appointment.  So they should be towards the end of that day soon I’d imagine.  There were 42k signups on the 18th and like 8k on the next day.  

It’s frustrating, but they are working through it.  The county claims to have vaccinated over 150k so far which is about twice the state and country rates.

New pre-print study out of the UK suggests a single BioNTech vaccine dose can reduce asymptomatic infections by 75% after just 12 days. This is the best data we have yet that vaccines will reduce transmission. And importantly this is with the UK overrun by B.1.1.7, which is already way more transmissible. So with two doses you'd imagine that would be even higher, and against the normal COVID-19, even better.

Also, for folks who have friends and family avoiding vaccines because of "long-term effects", 90% of adverse reactions historically are within 45 days from the last injection. That is why the FDA required three months of safety data following participants to account for this and build in extra time on top. The odds of some wave of reactions in 2027 are minuscule based on the data on top of the fact that we've already been doing mRNA vaccine trials for years before this.

• Like 2