Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

How long will it take before Lance would truly be NFL ready? I don't mean throw him in a game and just have him run around?

I really don't know, just wondering. I figure ideally he sits a year but these days, that's unusual.

Edited by DWinzit

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

How long will it take before Lance would truly be NFL ready? I don't mean throw him in a game and just have him run around?

I really don't know, just wondering. I figure ideally he sits a year but these days, that's unusual.

Immediately? One year? Two years?

I view him very similarly to Josh Allen. You play him year one he gains valuable experience and gives you a chance with his legs but has significant growing pains. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't think it would honestly take that long. Look at the more athletic guys and I don't mean just Newton/Vick/Murray. Look at Hurts, Trubisky, Allen, and the more mobile QBs, even the ones without the playing experience in college. The fact that they can run around and avoid the rush buys them time. The question becomes what are they learning while they're playing. Are they getting better as passers or just becoming running backs who play QB? 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Immediately? One year? Two years?

I view him very similarly to Josh Allen. You play him year one he gains valuable experience and gives you a chance with his legs but has significant growing pains. 

Its funny because I brought up Allen as a comp for Lance as well, but I think Allen is a better (high side) comparison for Newman. Their stats are eerily similar. Newman has 150 fewer attempts but similar ypa, and yards per attempt. Newman did it in a tougher conference too so that should count for something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

Would it be reasonable to assume it would be competition which Heini would probably win to start the year. Then if he falters or is injured think he would enter at that point?

I don’t think so, no. Lance has better intangibles. Heinicken/Allen would have a major advantage due to familiarity with the system. But Lance is a better athlete and traity QB than both. And he’s smart and a hard worker by all accounts. 

But they could, yes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Would it be reasonable to assume it would be competition which Heini would probably win to start the year. Then if he falters or is injured think he would enter at that point?

I'd think that TH is more likely to win because of his playmaking abillity he showed against Tampa. Thats something that Kyle Allen didn't show. Allen didn't play poorly but his runs were more of a checkdown, nothing's open, so lets run for 3 or 4 yards and get the first and keep the chains moving. TH was actually an escape artist that game. 

Plus TH just brought up the whole unplanned parts of a game vs practice. In practice everything is supposed to go as planned. But in a game almost nothing goes as planned, guys run the wrong routes or a defender presses too hard and its not called, or a DL jumps and has a free route to the QB so now he has to think fast. Those are the plays he made in the 4th Quarter and in the playoffs. 

With Allen being injured right now and ready only just before camp, he has to make sure not to rush himself back so I'd think he's a risk of being on the PUP while we bring in somebody else to be behind TH. 

• Like 1

Another virtual off season would have a major impact on a rookies ability to instantly contribute, especially one that is raw. We will know more on that front moving forward but that would have to be hard on a young slinger if it holds.

As for the QB competition, I'd think Allen has the inside track at starting. We have already seen a QB comp between him and TH in CAR and it resulted in Taylor being knocked off the roster in 2019 by Allen and Will Grier (Allen was QB2). This is all after he was ahead of Allen on the depth chart in 2018 when Allen was an UDFA, starting games before Allen did. While Taylor was heavily limited over the offseason due to injury, he was healthy enough to participate in preseason games before being cut. Maybe they felt he could not hold up, maybe they liked the other guys better, who knows.

Whatever Allen does/did in practice, it warranted an organization to choose him over Taylor, and prompted his former coaches to specifically acquire him via trade while making no attempt to sign the other guy until well after he was available, even after the XFL folded.

I'm not sure Smith is here next year and between the remainder, only one guy has managed to stay in the NFL. I'd feel hard pressed to see the guy who won the QB battle just 2 years ago, lose it now with all things being equal.

If Allen does not get a 2 year deal, that could effect the choices made, but if he does, I like him on the inside track with no other QB acquisitions involved.

Edit: Assuming the injury recovery remains on track

Edited by FootballZombie

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m not either, time to move on. Just throwing the math out there as a potential option the team may propose. 

That said, we’ve bulked up the FO and our priority is to solidify the QB position, I would still hope and expect us to make some form of tangible step forward on that front.

I was saying that I would be fine with a reduced cost Smith coming back. I think Heinicke and Allen are locks for the roster. I think if we can't get up into the top8 without overspending we need to draft a Book or Bureline or someone as QB3 and I assume one of Smith, Allen, Heinicke is always on the Pup/IR. Totally not ideal by a long shot, but I think we can winn like that and if it allows us to imrove the complete team, keep us winning games, then I'm all for it.

27 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Jeremy Fowler on "Get Up" just said his sources are telling him Alex Smith wants to come back and play next year.  He said those conversations have not been had yet with RR and crew.

That's unfortunate.  Everyone has a lot of respect for the guy and he's turned himself into a WFT legend.  It's an inspiring story.  And I get where he's probably coming from, he feels that he worked so hard to get back from that injury and he wants to go out on his terms.  It's hard to argue with that mindset, it's the mindset that helped him recover and play this year.

Heart says yes, mind says no, though.  It's hard to see him playing at a high level as a starting QB next year.  I'm hoping RR hasn't grown too attached to him.

• Like 5

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Man I hope the short term IR is here to stay. It makes all the sense in the world and would be a massive boon for injury riddled teams like ours.

I really like it too. I assume Covid is still a thing next season. Could be an interesting alternative to increasing the roster numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

The school does not condemn the player.

I know, there might even be a chance that he may be the exception to the rule but history/odds tell to stay away from them.

The sad history of USC quarterbacks in the NFL

Opinion: USC Quarterbacks are Historically Overrated

Would you draft him ?

Edited by FrFan

3 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Wow, interesting.

Granted Watson's situation is apples to oranges to an extent to Watt.  But yeah it does make me think they might not be as resistant to trade him.  I think Watson can effect our situation regardless of whether we pursue him.   There is a domino effect from it. 

Wilson being a fan is reason enough to trade the farm 😀

• Like 1

Always knew they had to clear Watts 17 Mil off the books, but assumed it would be via trade. Good on them to honor JJ's desire to fully pick his next destination.

Speaks volumes about the Watson situation. The Texans know what they are right now. This is a signal flare to other NFL teams as well. This move puts Hou under the cap, so they can afford to wait it out beyond the start of FA from a financial standpoint now, but this should light a fire in the Watson steam engine

Oh.... and no more hot takes about Watson bailing on his team

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted Watson's situation is apples to oranges to an extent to Watt.  But yeah it does make me think they might not be as resistant to trade him.  I think Watson can effect our situation regardless of whether we pursue him.   There is a domino effect from it.

Yeah, does show a level of start over it seems.  I don't think Watson is cheap based on this, but makes Watson trade more inevitable.