Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It’s not going to happen, I know it. We all know it. But if I’m Ron Rivera I’m calling Andrew Luck. “Hi, Andrew? It’s Ron. I just wanted you to know that if you want to play football we have a real good thing going here but we need a quarterback who can lead this team. I know you’re probably happy and on a golf course somewhere, but I’ve seen you golf and you should consider coming back. We’ll compensate you for your time. Of course, we’d have to negotiate with your old team first as you’re still under contract to them, but just want to see where your head is. Kbye.”

This speculation has the “Trances Seal of Approval for 2021”.

If we somehow managed to get Luck we would immediately become a top three contender for the Superbowl.

Ohh to dream the impossible dream...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

This speculation has the “Trances Seal of Approval for 2021”.

If we somehow managed to get Luck we would immediately become a top three contender for the Superbowl.

Ohh to dream the impossible dream...

As I said... and I want to be clear here because we know people nitpick the hell out of things around here :ols:

I don’t think it’s going to happen. But it can’t hurt.

• Haha 1

I wonder if Rivera realistically expected to win the division this year, and for some of our players to progress, or be as impactful as they have been, so quickly. I doubt it, even though we did stumble across the line at 7-9.

The Smith type game manger QB might have been the plan for a couple of years, but perhaps this season has accelerated/raised expectations heading into 2021.

I think we might aim to go all in at QB, more than some expected, me included. Not sure how just yet, but I think the bar has been raised.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

I know it won’t be the most well received, but I’m all in on Newton replacing Smiths current role on the roster at a fraction of the cost. This is a move that has a higher ceiling for Washington due to a strong relationship and familiarity with the scheme Newton has with the coaching staff. This shouldn’t preclude the team from being aggressive in getting a young guy they like, but Newton next year could match the current trajectory the defense is on. His leadership and personality would be a great for the team and offense. 

Edited by wit33

Just now, Florgon79 said:

You said shootout, which implies a high scoring game. The opinion is that we are not capable of such a feat. No one thinks offensive scoring doesn't matter.

Not what I'm implying. Just that the passing game matters. I figured people have watched Smith and know that isn't what I was trying to imply.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Not what I'm implying. Just that the passing game matters. I figured people have watched Smith and know that isn't what I was trying to imply.

OK well just understand that when you use the term shootout, people will automatically infer a high scoring affair with both teams going back and forth scoring at will. Thus everyones confusion and responses to your original post. 

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I know it won’t be the most well received, but I’m all in on Newton replacing Smiths current role on the roster.......Newton next year could match the current trajectory the defense is on. His leadership and personality would be a great for the team and offense. 

please no.  I could be wrong, but have always seen Newton as a whiner and a distraction, not a leader.  Plus, he can't run anymore and is not an accurate passer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

please no.  I could be wrong, but have always seen Newton as a whiner and a distraction, not a leader.  Plus, he can't run anymore and is not an accurate passer.

I’d rather swan dive into a shallow pool from 25 feet than have Newton.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It’s not going to happen, I know it. We all know it. But if I’m Ron Rivera I’m calling Andrew Luck. “Hi, Andrew? It’s Ron. I just wanted you to know that if you want to play football we have a real good thing going here but we need a quarterback who can lead this team. I know you’re probably happy and on a golf course somewhere, but I’ve seen you golf and you should consider coming back. We’ll compensate you for your time. Of course, we’d have to negotiate with your old team first as you’re still under contract to them, but just want to see where your head is. Kbye.”

This pie in the sky, but I like it. You have to think Luck would just go back to Indianapolis though. 

Now, Luke Kuechly? I think that’s the much more likely scenario.

While on this topic, what are the rules about players that retire and sit out for a year. Does the old club retain their rights?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

People evolve and it seems from afar he has. To sum him up as a whiner and distraction is wrong in every way. 

False narrative is he can no longer run, just look at some cut ups of this season and he still is an elite runner from the QB spot. I don’t love him as a QB, due to feeling his inaccuracy makes it difficult at times to establish rhythm, but he would provide Turner great flexibility in scheming things up and is still dynamic inside the 10 yard line. 

Also, the idea is Newton doesn’t need to be elite or great to provide value just compliment the teams offensive weapons and elite defense.  

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d rather swan dive into a shallow pool from 25 feet than have Newton.

Why? 

Im talking for a next year bridge type guy at 5-7 million. 

Edited by wit33

People evolve and it seems from afar it appears he has. To sum him up as a whiner and distraction is wrong in every way. 

False narrative is he can no longer run, just look at some cut ups of this season and he still is an elite runner from the QB spot. I don’t love him as a QB, due to feeling his inaccuracy makes it difficult at times to establish rhythm, but he would provide Turner great flexibility in scheming things uinaccuracyp and is still dynamic inside the 10 yard line. 

Also, the idea is Newton doesn’t need to be elite or great to provide value just compliment the teams offensive weapons and elite defense.  

Innacuracy is the exact reason why we don't want him......haven't we traveled this road enough?

Edited by tmandoug1

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

The exact reason why we don't want him......haven't we traveled this road enough?

I hear you, obviously it comes down to Ron and  if he doesn’t show interest that would be very telling I’d think. 

• Like 1

People evolve and it seems from afar it appears he has. To sum him up as a whiner and distraction is wrong in every way. 

False narrative is he can no longer run, just look at some cut ups of this season and he still is an elite runner from the QB spot. I don’t love him as a QB, due to feeling his inaccuracy makes it difficult at times to establish rhythm, but he would provide Turner great flexibility in scheming things up and is still dynamic inside the 10 yard line. 

Why? 

Im talking for a next year bridge type guy at 5-7 million. 

TK said that Rivera asked Turner if he wanted to pursue Newton as an option for 2020. Word is that Turner declined. I highly doubt Turner's position has changed after this year. Newton is not an effective QB anymore, it's that simple. We don't need another washed up QB on this roster.

The more I think about it, Andy Dalton might be the best choice.  He’s a solid QB (3 time pro bowler), He’s played on many mediocre teams. Having the defense we have can help him on offense and he can come cheap.  My gut tells me Dallas makes the right choice by brining him back and dumping Dak for his crazy salary demands.  Dallas is only $20 million under the cap next season, so they would have to cut more salary to make room for Dak. With the amount of holes they have, it’s probably not worth it.  For the record, I believe Dak is better than Dalton, but Dak’s salary would cripple them to fill holes.

Btw, Dalton is only 33, it feels like he’s been in the league forever. I thought he was like 38 😆.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

23 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

TK said that Rivera asked Turner if he wanted to pursue Newton as an option for 2020. Word is that Turner declined. I highly doubt Turner's position has changed after this year. Newton is not an effective QB anymore, it's that simple. We don't need another washed up QB on this roster.

Look at Turner calling the shots lol

At the end of the day, if they want no part I move off my position entirely. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, profusion said:

Newton is done. He could probably game-manage a stacked roster, but we'll have plenty of options if that's our situation--and it probably won't be.

Totally agree....I think a blind man can see that Newton is done.

I have my money on Jameis Winston.  I think Winston is a real leader and he is passionate about winning.  A year with Drew Brees and Peyton as your mentor doesn't hurt either.