Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am strongly leaning in the direction of your point, I am only OK with Darnold if they exhausted other avenues and the choice is using a 3rd rounder on a QB or rolling the dice on Darnold.  In that context, I'd be ok with Darnold.  But I am not even a little jazzed about Darnold.

I feel the same way. Also the Titans had Mariota as their starter and Tannehill as a backup. Tannehill is playing great ever since but it's not like the Titans built their Superbowl dream around him to start with. They had some reservations about Mariota and picked up Tannehill as an experienced alternative. Sure, we could bring back Alex Smith and try the same with Darnold but I don't want to focus on him as a solution to our QB issue. How many Tannehills are out there compared to QB busts that never panned out anywhere?

If we go veteran I'd like us to go experienced vet with some success over potential rebound QB. If we can't make that happen and don't feel like anyone worthwhile will be available where we pick I'd be okay picking up Darnold for a reasonable deal if Smith comes back but he wouldn't be my preferred target.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Panninho said:

If we go veteran I'd like us to go experienced vet with some success over potential rebound QB. If we can't make that happen and don't feel like anyone worthwhile will be available where we pick I'd be okay picking up Darnold for a reasonable deal if Smith comes back but he wouldn't be my preferred target.

I understood the momentum of lets get a win now veteran QB.  And I agreed with it in concept.  But then I started thinking of the specifics of this and I just don't see the win now veteran being available to us. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I understood the momentum of lets get a win now veteran QB.  And I agreed with it in concept.  But then I started thinking of the specifics of this and I just don't see the win now veteran being available to us. 

Closest guy is Stafford, but I don't see Detroit trading him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I feel the same way. Also the Titans had Mariota as their starter and Tannehill as a backup. Tannehill is playing great ever since but it's not like the Titans built their Superbowl dream around him to start with. They had some reservations about Mariota and picked up Tannehill as an experienced alternative. Sure, we could bring back Alex Smith and try the same with Darnold but I don't want to focus on him as a solution to our QB issue. How many Tannehills are out there compared to QB busts that never panned out anywhere?

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/17/how-former-adam-gase-players-have-fared-without-him-jets-dolphins-ryan-tannehill/

Darnold has struggled before Gase, but with development years going to him and the constant talk of the above, I would be more likely to consider him.

10 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Comparing Darnold to Tannehill is doing Tannehill great injustice.

Tannehill had enough success to get his large contract following his rookie deal before Dolphins decided to move on.  I do not think there is any chance Darnold will get any large starter level contract when his rookie deal is over.

Tannehill comparable would be is Wentz if Eagles decide to move on and go with Jalen Hurts.

If we can get Wentz to redo his deal a but I would love to give him a second chance.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I don't see it happening as well. The ones that in theory might be available due to rebuild are Wentz, Stafford and Ryan and none of them have a contract that makes it easy for their current team to move on.

11 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Tannehill had enough success to get his large contract following his rookie deal before Dolphins decided to move on.  I do not think there is any chance Darnold will get any large starter level contract when his rookie deal is over.

Tannehill comparable would be is Wentz if Eagles decide to move on and go with Jalen Hurts.

If we can get Wentz to redo his deal a but I would love to give him a second chance.

That is absolutely true. I just picked up the Tannehill talk because someone already talked about that.

17 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/17/how-former-adam-gase-players-have-fared-without-him-jets-dolphins-ryan-tannehill/

Darnold has struggled before Gase, but with development years going to him and the constant talk of the above, I would be more likely to consider him.

At this point we have to consider almost everything and I'll be on board with whatever the coaching staff decides but Darnold just wouldn't be very high up my list.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

good shout. Indy may give Rivers another year through. Wouldn’t surprise me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Wentz. I mean Wentz had his best season when Reich was the QB coach in Philly. If Philadelphia is serious about moving on from him they might be interested. I honestly don't think Stafford will be available. They have no successor at the moment. So they would have to draft one and it wouldn't be a bad idea to sit that player behind Stafford for a year if they choose to go down that road. Also it's easier for them to move on after next year financially (this also applies to Wentz but they at least have an alternative on their roster already).

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I seriously doubt Wentz is available.  Eagles have to take a monster cap hit.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/carson-wentz-and-his-contract-gives-eagles-worst-qb-situation-nfc-east#:~:text=Philadelphia signed Wentz to a,includes nearly %2470 million guaranteed.

Next season Wentz will count nearly $35 million on the Eagles salary cap, good for 17 percent of Philadelphia's total cap space. Don't forget either that the cap is expected to dip next year due to Covid expenditures, so that percentage will likely increase. 

Cutting Wentz is simply not possible. 

To release him in the offseason would bring a $59 million dead cap penalty. $59 million!

In 2022, Wentz will count $31 million on the Eagles cap, about 14 percent. Releasing him then would bring a $24.5 million dead cap penalty with about $7 million in cap savings. Still not realistic. 

By 2023, when Wentz will still count $34 million on the cap and about 14 percent of their spending room, the Eagles could release the former No. 2 overall pick. There's a $15 million dead cap hit but the team would save $19 million in space. 

It is a big price, but if they feel Hurts is the guy, they’ve got him on a rookie deal for two more years. Could then get a low cost vet backup, and suck up a June 1st cap hit, knowing they’ll be flush with cash in another year. 

Guy I’m more intrigued by is Winston. He has all the tools, and has had some success in the league. Seems a willing learner, and his taking a minuscule contract to play behind, and learn from, Brees shows me he has a positive mentality, and isn’t a diva. Yeah, he threw a ton of ints in Tampa, but he also threw a ton of TDs. There’s a reason he was the first pick in the draft.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Yes I am getting tired of the Darnold idea as he is compared to Tannehill. Tannehill was a 7 year starter who was never as bad as what we have seen from Darnold.  He was never a disaster and then he went to a really good team with the most dominant run game we have seen in a while, so naturally he would do better there.  

I'm warming to the idea of drafting Lance for the future, then start Kyle with Smith as the backup. But it would not shock me if they had all 3 QBs back.  There is no market for Haskins so why not hold on to him to see if maybe the light comes on may be what they are thinking. 

Just to level set what was reported by Rap and coaching staff wishes back over Thanksgiving.  You know Smith has to recognize this teams talent with added pieces and may help him decide about coming back for another run at it next year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/washington-football-team-wants-qb-alex-smith-back-for-2021

Washington Football Team wants QB Alex Smith back for 2021

Coach Ron Rivera and his staff want Smith back for the 2021 season, sources say. A nod to not only his leadership in the quarterback room, but also simply how he's played. Smith has not said publicly or privately whether he wants to play in 2021, but he is under contract through 2022.

Smith is set to make $19 million next season, a perfectly reasonable rate for a bridge quarterback as WFT continues its search for its next franchise QB -- whether it's Dwayne Haskins, Kyle Allen or someone acquired in a trade or the draft.

Edited by HigSkin

Keeping Kyle Allen is a no brainer.  I have no issue if they take a QB in a later round if they love the guy, and I also have no issue with them signing a FA to compete with Allen.  The options are (ranked from best to worst, IMO):

-Prescott

-Trubisky

-Rivers

-Brissett

-Fitzpatrick

-Newton

-Dalton

-Taylor

Dak Prescott is not worth the money he thinks he is.  If you thought Kirk Cousins wasn't good enough to pay what the Vikings paid back in 2018, then you should be adamant against singing Prescott.  This also takes into account the gruesome injury from this season.  Rivers is too old and also injured, IMO.  I'd be okay with a Trubisky or Brissett type to come in and compete.  

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mean this with a whit of sarcasm but is there anyone on the planet more in love with Haskins than Riddick?  If he lands there we should get a pick for Haskins and maybe there would be a greater shot for Stafford to be moved.  

Yep. That would be one landing spot for Dwayne, either to sit behind Stafford and develop for a couple more years (as Stafford's contract expires at the end of 2022) or compete for the starting gig if they do move Stafford. Perfect trade would be something like Stafford for a 3rd + Dwayne

25 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Keeping Kyle Allen is a no brainer.  I have no issue if they take a QB in a later round if they love the guy, and I also have no issue with them signing a FA to compete with Allen.  The options are (ranked from best to worst, IMO):

-Prescott

-Trubisky

-Rivers

-Brissett

-Fitzpatrick

-Newton

-Dalton

-Taylor

Dak Prescott is not worth the money he thinks he is.  If you thought Kirk Cousins wasn't good enough to pay what the Vikings paid back in 2018, then you should be adamant against singing Prescott.  This also takes into account the gruesome injury from this season.  Rivers is too old and also injured, IMO.  I'd be okay with a Trubisky or Brissett type to come in and compete.  

I would actually be totally ok with Fitzpatrick and take someone to develop. Fitz is similar to Alex in that they are universally loved and respected by their teammates and they are both willing mentors to young QBs. Unlike Alex, Fitz gives you something with his legs and can occasionally get very hot and take over games, something of an X factor you want to have if you have an average QB in the playoffs. Among active QBs, Fitz is the leader with something like 3 95+ QBR rating games

Plus from a fan standpoint, he is a totally lovable guy who is very fun to watch because of his willingness to take chances. I really applaud him for the numbers he's been able to put up in Miami with a bottom 3 set of skill position talent around him

Edited by method man

Winston is a cant get right turnover machine, I don't see how that just fixes itself especially with the weapons he had in Tampa compared to what we have here.

I would definitely give Wentz a look, I think there's a good QB in there somewhere and whoever gets him playing well again will be rewarded.

I like Fitz, a Harvard grad with a rocket arm and he stays healthy, also a good bridge that wouldn't cost too much.

1 hour ago, FunBunch7 said:

Remember when Cleveland bailed out Houston by taking Osweiler's HUGE cap number AND Houston sent Cleveland a 1st round pick just to be rid of the contract???

Maybe we use OUR cap space to take Wentz PLUS Philthy gives us a draft pick.

Thoughts?

#HTTR

Have we ever traded with Philly to get an injury prone red headed QB after they won a Championship?

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Winston is a cant get right turnover machine, I don't see how that just fixes itself especially with the weapons he had in Tampa compared to what we have here.

I would definitely give Wentz a look, I think there's a good QB in there somewhere and whoever gets him playing well again will be rewarded.

I like Fitz, a Harvard grad with a rocket arm and he stays healthy, also a good bridge that wouldn't cost too much.

Fitz doesn't have a rocket arm.  he has below average arm strength and even jokes about it sometimes.  but for a dude his age he has above average mobility.  he's elusive in the pocket.  He's almost like the opposite of Alex.  With Alex you get conservative play, high floor-low ceiling play.  Fitz is high ceiling-low floor play -- roller coaster but he's the type who might get hot in the post season.  Oddly he's never been in the post season. 

I don't see how there is even a tiny chance the Eagles release Wentz.  That would be the dead cap hit for ages, certainly would be the record. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fitz doesn't have a rocket arm.  he has below average arm strength and even jokes about it sometimes.  but for a dude his age he has above average mobility.  he's elusive in the pocket.  He's almost like the opposite of Alex.  With Alex you get conservative play, high floor-low ceiling play.  Fitz is high ceiling-low floor play -- roller coaster but he's the type who might get hot in the post season.  Odddly he's never been in the post season. 

I think he has plenty of arm strength, I've never seen him attempt a throw and get the feeling he had the arm of a Colt McCoy or Kyle Trask.

He's a definitely a journeyman, he got the big contract with Buffalo years back and he had his chance to earn the job in Tampa and he blew both opportunities due to turnovers but I like the way he's been more secure with the ball this year, he's playing smarter.  

Lets hope we find a better solution but if it comes down to the scrub QB's of the league I think I like him best.