Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

12 minutes ago, Dexter said:

He's a mobile QB who is a true leader.  Mariota is Alex Smith 2.0

I think signing Henicke to the roster assures that we have a healthy backup.  I would bet Henicke won't be the backup if Mariota is in DC....Mariota would be his backup.

My question is why are we not talking about Trubisky?

From the realistic options that are remaining... I would want us to shy away from Mac Jones...  Just soo much talent at WRs and RBs that I think it is a bit of a risk to take him.

I think if we can Mariotta without giving up too much would be idea situation as I think Henicke and Mariotta have similar skill sets.  I didn't do a deep dive or anything but just from what I have seen on TV thus far.  

Going into the new season with Henicke, Mariotta, and Kyle Allen as 3 QBs... not the best situation but I think at least we can get similar QB performance that Alex Smith provide while healthy this year.

Who knows many one of the QBs will surprise all us by outperforming our expectations!

Edited by sjinhan

5 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Game-day is probably being active.  The others are probably if he starts, but it's not really clear.

Attempting to guess at specifics of an NFL contract through a tweet...just guessing.  If he's on the roster he makes that game day check, but the later bonus structure is likely incentives he can earn if he becomes the starting QB.  You could guess that he'd start earning bonus money by being the starter, winning games in the regular season and any playoff game. 

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Aren’t we supposed to have 17 games next season?  His game day roster bonus is based on 16 games.

That’s allegedly supposed to happen but we haven’t gotten a final word on that and probably won’t until the schedule comes out around draft time. I could see them delay it until 22.

58 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Question, how much is Derek Carr worth draft pick wise?  With the team we have in place is he worth 2 1st, a 1st and 2nd?  

I think he’s worth a couple of day 2 picks.

Sadly the market dictates he’ll cost more, #19 and a conditional 2022 third perhaps is closer but still would be enough.

I’d give #19 for him. 

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think he’s worth a couple of day 2 picks.

Sadly the market dictates he’ll cost more, #19 and a conditional 2022 third perhaps is closer but still would be enough.

I’d give #19 for him. 

Ooooh.  I think Gruden wants 2 1st.  I'd give him our #19 and a 2022 2nd round pick.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

So if he’s backup it’s essentially a 2 yr/3.75 mil deal

I suggested a while back in this thread that we give Heinicke and Allen the same deals, give them both 2 year 4 mil deals and let them stick around for 2 seasons. Great backup depth, which should not be undervalued. Plus either still gives us the chance to win/be competitive if called upon, especially if we build on our core D and add a couple of attacking options.

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Ooooh.  I think Gruden wants 2 1st.  I'd give him our #19 and a 2022 2nd round pick.  

Might well take that, I agree. 

The Stafford 1 and 3 offer may have set our benchmark, not sure. I think at this stage I would certainly marginally overpay for Carr to that degree. 

In my opinion we will regret going into the season weak at QB. Rivera has admitted he regrets last seasons QB handling, cant see him making the same mistakes twice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The Stafford 1 and 3 offer may have set our benchmark, not sure. I think at this stage I would certainly marginally overpay for Carr to that degree. 

Totally agree. Unfortunately that surely means this year's 1st and 2nd or this year's and next year's 1st. Which might be too steep.

Catching the tail end of a Keim segment, he mentioned some in the league are intrigued by Winston (he's not sure about the WFT) but thinks NO would likely lock him in. 

Then Sheehan kicked in saying he's heard they liked Fields (which he's said before) who he heard is opposite to Haskins as to maturity, leadership, style of playing.  Keim said he's heard from Ohio State people the same about Fields' intangibles.

Keim doesn't suspect they'd trade up unless a player falls, he doesn't think they'd trade a ton of capital to move up big in the draft.  He thinks better chance they trade down and build 2022 trade capital if they can't land a QB. 

Sheehan asked Keim to guess if they go status quo as for the starter or someone new -- Keim guessed someone new but didn't know.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Question, how much is Derek Carr worth draft pick wise?  With the team we have in place is he worth 2 1st, a 1st and 2nd?  

For me a first and that's it.  But it sounds like the Raiders will only trade Carr if someone overpays so at this point I am counting him out.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

43 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Totally agree. Unfortunately that surely means this year's 1st and 2nd or this year's and next year's 1st. Which might be too steep.

yeah, I’m at #19 and a third, ideally conditional.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim doesn't suspect they'd trade up unless a player falls, he doesn't think they'd trade a ton of capital to move up big in the draft.  He thinks better chance they trade down and build 2022 trade capital if they can't land a QB. 

Isnt the draft deemed average next year at QB. Got to think that approach of trading back follows a vet QB acquisition this year. 

• Like 1

For anybody arguing Washington paid too much for Heinicke, who only had one full-game of an impressive performance, that's incorrect. While reports show Heinicke's deal could be worth up to nearly $9 million, it would take a serious amount of incentives reached to get that full amount. 

And for anybody arguing the opposite, that Heinicke could have held out for a more robust market in free agency, that's incorrect too. To begin with, Washington controlled his rights, and further, it's unclear that free agency would have shown any real interest in Heinicke. After all, Washington only signed the former Old Dominion quarterback in early December. 

Heinicke is the right fit in Washington on the exact contract he got, and Washington is the right fit for Heinicke on the exact contract he got. 

Washington took a good first step in figuring out its quarterback situation by getting a deal done with Heinicke, but it's not the last move. Not by a long shot. 

The next move will be getting a deal done with Kyle Allen.

Though he was injured in 2020, Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner believe in Allen. In fact, during a season-ending press conference, Rivera said that he thinks the organization could have won as many games with Allen as they did with veteran Alex Smith. 

Allen is a restricted free agent, which means Washington controls his next move and can give him a tender offer worth about $900,000 for 2021. The overwhelming odds are he will be back at an advantageous deal for the organization. 

Here's what Rivera said about Allen earlier this month: "Kyle is most certainly part of what we're doing right now."

That answers that.

Then there's the Alex Smith question. 

An incredible story and an incredible person, the 2020 Comeback Player of the Year carries a $24 million salary cap hit for the 2021 season. 

Smith will not be back in Washington at that number. 

That doesn't mean he won't be back, but that cap hit is just unrealistic for a 37-year-old quarterback that in 2020 may or may not have dealt with lingering issues from a traumatic leg injury suffered in 2018. 

So either Smith comes back at a reduced cost, he retires, or he could possibly end up somewhere else. 

Beyond Heinicke, Allen and Smith, Washington fans want to hear about a new star QB.

It's possible, however, that might not emerge. 

• Thanks 1