Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

2 minutes ago, method man said:

It is idiotic if the NFL docks this team high draft picks. You already have an apathetic fan base in one of the league's most important markets. Imagine the further dropoff in engagement if we were to lose a Day 1 or Day 2 pick. Just make Snyder pay a historic fine.

On Lance, you cannot take him in round 1. The bust risk is too high. If you want a project for Alex to mentor, go get Ridder or Newman in Day 2

I think competition related offenses deserve picks to be docked like spygate, bountygate and deflategate.

It just seems weird that draft picks equate to value loss in this case. 

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay who was just on the radio seems convinced we aere losing a draft pick or two in the upcoming draft as punishment for the sexual harassment scandal.  Hope not.  Especially if it ends up a first rounder.  Trying to recall teams who lost first rounders -- If I recall NE. 

Man I called this a month ago. We always get screwed.

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If we win the division and pick #19.  And Detroit tries a full rebuild.  Would people be happy trading #19 to the Lions for Stafford?

So take his 80 billion dollar contract for a guy who's on the downside of his career, has injury concerns and has never really proven to be an elite QB in 20 years? 

That would be ten times worse than the McNabb trade.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we lose a first rounder I'm going to lose it. 

Punish the assholes that did the crime and not make the rest of the franchise and its fan base do the time. 

Agree.  Will see.  Finlay feels this is what's going to happen but its not a done deal.  But losing draft picks really punishes Rivera and company and us fans.    

Why does Finlay think that will happen?

He said the same thing on Twitter by citing the COVID penalties as comparables. But that's stupid to me. The league is being heavy-handed with COVID penalties because teams flouting the rules could cost the league games, aka REVENUE. The WFT culture scandal is not directly impacting league revenue so why would they care so much. Remember, the Commissioner works FOR the owners. Not the other way around.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we lose a first rounder I'm going to lose it. 

Punish the assholes that did the crime and not make the rest of the franchise and its fan base do the time. 

I will believe it when the Patriots lose a draft pick for Kraft paying for a rub and tug. Not going to happen. 
Potentially affecting outcome of a game like the Patriots filming other teams? Hell yeah, take a pick.

There are far better options to punish whoever is/was involved. Not sure how you can punish Rivera and the staff for something they are cleaning up?

What punishment did we end up getting for pimping out cheerleaders to suite holders? That was awful, but I dont recall losing a pick for it.

Maybe ban Snyder from attending games for a season plus a fine.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Alex Smith but i am with Casserly on this point.  I don't see Alex as fools gold as he says but to me its more simple than that -- he's old.  they have a young roster find a young QB, too. 

That's a pretty lame take. I doubt anyone is fooled by Alex starting about our QB situation. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if a team in need of a QB is passing one over for a LB or an O lineman then that means they don't see that QB as the answer.   In your shoes, I wouldn't have any angst about Zach Wilson considering odds are they won't have a chance to draft him.

IMO he's more accurate than Drew Lock, faster, more mobile.  While Lock has moments of being an off platform guy, he minored in it, Wilson majored in it.  But alas I don't think you will have to worry about Wilson, I'd be very surprised if he drops past pick #4.  The dude has much more hype than Lock did and for good reasons IMO. 

Can you point me to the direction of film to watch on Wilson? How you described Lock is how I see Wilson. Every year, there are guys who come out of nowhere with hype trains. Was Wilson always considered this good? It seems even Wilson is surprised he is getting such a pro look, as I heard he wasn't even planning to go to the NFL until recently. 

Wilson so far this season has played against Navy, Troy, LA Tech, UTSA, Houston, Texas State, Western KY, Boise State, North Alabama, and closing out against San Diego State. 

In these games, he is generally throwing from clean pockets to wide open receivers. I just worry about the jump from this level of competition to facing the adversity that is being the QB of the Washington Football Team. I need to see how he handles pressure. I need to see how he handles a pass rush that forces him to make a smart decision in 2 seconds. I need to see how he plays against a defense that knows how to scheme. 

He's doing like he's supposed to do- scorching scrubs. I just don't buy the hype that he's one of the top 5 or 10 college players. Seems like he'll be a huge reach off the QB hype train. I need to see how he plays in a bowl game this year against better comp, and hopefully he participates in one of the post season / pre draft scouting games. If he dominates at the Senior Bowl, I will start to change my tune.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay who was just on the radio seems convinced we aere losing a draft pick or two in the upcoming draft as punishment for the sexual harassment scandal.  Hope not.  Especially if it ends up a first rounder.  Trying to recall teams who lost first rounders -- If I recall NE. 

In related news, Mara just volunteered to be head of the NFL ethics committee....

J/k of course.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They won’t lose picks for something that wasn’t on the field related. He’s just speculating 

40 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

No one does, except maybe Rick Snider. Smith is a caretaker/mentor for what ever QB we bring in

Smith is an incredible asset and wonderful story. I'm a huge fan. Nobody is disillusioned about his role, except maybe the people who think we should cut him, eat the cap and sign Dak. ols

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Smith is an incredible asset and wonderful story. I'm a huge fan. Nobody is disillusioned about his role, except maybe the people who think we should cut him, eat the cap and sign Dak. ols

I really want Smith here next year--don't get me wrong. That goes 1000X if we draft Trey Lance.

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Why does Finlay think that will happen?

He said the same thing on Twitter by citing the COVID penalties as comparables. But that's stupid to me. The league is being heavy-handed with COVID penalties because teams flouting the rules could cost the league games, aka REVENUE. The WFT culture scandal is not directly impacting league revenue so why would they care so much. Remember, the Commissioner works FOR the owners. Not the other way around.

also weren't the draft pick losses like sixth and seventh round picks?  This scandal is bad, but it can't kill or cripple anyone.

I can't imagine using draft picks as a means to discipline an owner for allowing sexual harassment but I'm sure Dan would be thrilled, he gets off easy while the fans and team get penalized.  

Goodell and league will have a ****storm reign down on them for pencil whipping the process if this is true.

I don't think I see a first rounder, but I can imagine a midrounder pretty easily. If we think of parallels, though I'm not sure there are good systematic parallels, players found guilty of sexual harassment/abuse generally have been fined/suspended. Often, the fines and penalties are a slap on the wrist unless public furor embarrasses Goodell into reassessing.

In a ideal world you fine the crap out of everyone involved and could even discuss a suspension of them.  Taking picks is hurting the team and fans.  However we’ve already seen the nfl take picks from teams for violating rules and even the COVID guidelines.  Taking picks from a team for the actions of a couple employees though would be like taking picks from the Ravens for Rice KOing a women in a elevator. 

12 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Wilson so far this season has played against Navy, Troy, LA Tech, UTSA, Houston, Texas State, Western KY, Boise State, North Alabama, and closing out against San Diego State. 

In these games, he is generally throwing from clean pockets to wide open receivers. I just worry about the jump from this level of competition to facing the adversity that is being the QB of the Washington Football Team. I need to see how he handles pressure. I need to see how he handles a pass rush that forces him to make a smart decision in 2 seconds. I need to see how he plays against a defense that knows how to scheme. 

He's doing like he's supposed to do- scorching scrubs. I just don't buy the hype that he's one of the top 5 or 10 college players. Seems like he'll be a huge reach off the QB hype train. I need to see how he plays in a bowl game this year against better comp, and hopefully he participates in one of the post season / pre draft scouting games. If he dominates at the Senior Bowl, I will start to change my tune.

I don't think juniors can play in the senior bowl.   With Zach Wilson is about his traits.  Accuracy all across the field including the deep ball, arm strength, mobility, speed.   Most agree the competition level is the wildcard.  

If a QB can extend plays, take off and run well, have really good ball placement where they can hit receivers all across the field including deep and has a rocket of an arm they tend to be coveted.  

Kyle Trask as an example plays for a big school in the SEC and is putting up big numbers.  He's played some real defenses like Georgia.  Yet, why is Wilson being talked more and more about going top 5 and Trask ending up in the 2nd round?  It's because of Trask's traits or lack thereof.  Wilson is lighting defenses up with arguably special traits.  Trask on the other hand arguably doesn't have special traits hence there is more skepticism about him in spite of his stiffer competition.

But again in your shoes, I wouldn't sweat Zach Wilson.  Unless we lose out the rest of the games, I don't think we got a shot at him.  the debate here about Trey Lance I think ends up more relevant. 

13 hours ago, IrepDC said:

You can only play the teams that are on your schedule. He has 34 TDs to 2 ints. You really can't do much better than that regardless of the competition. 

Now, there are actually plenty of instances where he is throwing into tight windows and has perfect ball placement. Even if the WR is wide open, is he hitting him in perfect stride on the deep ball? These are essentially things I looked at when I was evaluating Haskins and where I noticed his flaws. He had clean pockets, played inferior competition and his WRs were constantly open. I noticed he had accuracy issues and couldn't hit them in stride to save his life (he did a few times but it did not happen as often as you like). Wilson is accurate as hell, especially on the run. 

He is also embarrassing his competition, he's not "supposed" to do that, he's just far superior. Its also not like he's playing for Ohio State against all these teams, he plays for BYU lol. I look at the teams hes played and compare it to OSU playing Syracuse or something.  Level of competition-wise, Houston and Boise State are typically on par with BYU (maybe even better most years)

Archived