Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We need to trade some players for picks, if we do indeed make the playoffs.   We need those picks to move up.

And we replace those players with ... wait for it ... overpriced free agents and UDFAs!

Nah, brah.  We just draft smart.  If we draft 19th, we miss out on only 19 players in the entire draft.  After that....  Think about this for a moment:  we can draft the best player available (to the entire league) in rounds 2-7.  We can't do anything about round 1 unless some guy falls from above 19 to 19 for whatever reason (see Dan Marino (pothead), Jon Allen (congenital arthritis), etc.), BUT at the start of the draft, if there's a consensus best rd 2 guy -- we can get him.  Consensus 3rd round guy - we can get him, etc.  If at the start of the draft you're confident you can get the best guys in rounds 2-7 (and actually, the best 2 guys in round 4), but you'd blow your 1st round pick, how would you feel?  You'd feel great.

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Do I need to point out that the 86 and 90 Giants won the Super Bowl and the 89 Giants went 12-4 while the 2020 Giants suck ass?

Yes you do, right after you also point out that we'd have won both games this year if Alex Smith was the starter.

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Good teams aren’t 4-7, 11 weeks in.

Yup. Good teams also have franchise QB on their roster, something we don't have yet. If things fold the way they are then there might not be a franchise QB on the roster next year as well. 2022 here we come. 

PSA from good ole Berggy cause it's the holidays. 

The roster of an NFL team is comprised of human beings...highly competitive human beings that worked their butts off and sacrifice any semblance of a normal life to bleed sweat and cry their way from pop warner to the NFL. They don't give a rat's behind about the draft and will do everything in their power to win football games. If this is an inconvenience to any fan of an NFL team, I hear Madden is a fun game. 

52 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

JFYI, tanking is definitely a real thing that GMs do via roster construction. Trading your good vets for picks & cost-controlled prospects is tanking. 

Yes I'm aware, but nobody is disappointed they won a football game. Both can be true. 

9 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Yes I'm aware, but nobody is disappointed they won a football game. Both can be true. 

exactly...

GMs and HCs can play younger guys with the goal of development and growth.... see dropping AP and starting Gibson.... Dropping Josh Norman and trading Trent Williams.  If you move on from aging vets and invest heavily in younger players, and you win football games doing it... nobody is going to apologize for that.  That's the goal. 

Y’know, if we’re going to draft 19th,  32nd is better.  Just saying. 

On a more serious note, the players we are probably most excited about are McLaurin, Gibson, and maybe Sweat.  So, the handwringing about falling out of the top ten or top five may be shortsighted. 

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If you move on from aging vets and invest heavily in younger players, and you win football games doing it... nobody is going to apologize for that.

This is why I can get behind this if we get on a roll and make the playoffs. We're watching our youth make plays and possibly building confidence, we'll see how everything finishes out but I'm not sweating missing out on a QB this year if to accomplish that we have to stifle the development and confidence of our young core.

Good GM's always say build from the inside out and we haven't completed that process yet so if the QB is the last piece we get and its 2022 then so be it.

23 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll continue to ask this question:  How often has a first round QB bust gone to another team and turned into a good QB?  It like never happens. Tannehill is the closest example we can find but as a 6 year starter in Miami he was far more accomplished than what we have seen out of Sam Darnold.  

Although I like the idea of taking on Darnold, I have to acknowledge you maybe right.   I can only think of one, but that was long ago and that was Jim Plunkett.  Even then I am not sure he gets a lot of respect despite his 2 SB rings (Rightly or wrongly).

Archived