Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As a card carrying member of the Suck For The High Pick club I went in rooting for a loss. But it's Dallas on Thanksgiving and after seeing how much better then were playing, it was really noticeable from the start, I had to root to kick some Cowboys ass. 

I know I'll regret it come draft day but damned yesterday was fun.  

The players reaction after Sweat scored was priceless. As was Gibson with the wave. Players want to win badly. Must has some positive effect.

I told my kid several times during the last few games while watching that I am only rooting for a win if they look good doing it.  That is, I am not rooting for squeaker wins when both teams look bad.  But if they can just destroy a team then its a sign they are turning a corner and might actually be good.  So i started rooting against them yesterday but as the score turned up I then rooted for them.

At this point, their draft position is screwed.  In my humble opinion after studying this draft some there is little difference between picking lets say 11 versus 19.  You got IMO some prime time players aside from the QBs (Chase, Parsons, Sewell) but they won't get those guys now.  So at this point I'll root for them to win.

I think we will be limited next year and have zero shot at a SB with the QBs we got. Thats is, we likely end up good but i'd be surprised if we are great. I think Alex is decent and maybe even good and certainly a great story but IMO he is not a SB QB or even a deep in the playoffs type QB IMO.   And, Kyle Allen to me is a wildcard but I don't think peak him = franchise QB.  

I now don't think we find a QB in this draft who fixes the position long term.   Maybe Dallas ends up with Zach Wilson?  I assume not and they ride with Prescott.  So I guess maybe Sewell for them.

My roll of the dice at QB at this point would be Ridder (3rd round?) or Newman or Mond. 

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

If this is the way we play going down the stretch, I am MORE than okay with making a real run. The team is gelling. 

Me, too.  Sad about no QB. 🙄  But rooting interesting now for the top QB types is for Fields or Wilson not to enter the draft or end up in Dallas. 

It's made studying the draft more complex.  No Parsons.  No Chase.  No Sewell.  So I start thinking:  Cosmi?  Darrishaw?  D. Smith?  Waddle maybe falls that far because of his injury?  Kyle Pitts?  

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In my humble opinion after studying this draft some there is little difference between picking lets say 11 versus 19.  

I’d agree. And the jump from #19 up to say 12/13 if a QB falls isn’t a king’s ransom. Still that chance at QB#4 in my opinion. Not even sure that is on Rivera’s radar though.

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d agree. And the jump from #19 up to say 12/13 if a QB falls isn’t a king’s ransom. Still that chance at QB#4 in my opinion. Not even sure that is on Rivera’s radar though.

I think QB 4 is Lance and he doesn't escape the top 10.  will see.  I wouldn't draft Mac Jones or Trask in the mid first round.  i wonder if Ridder goes earlier than I expect because he's gotten hot of late.  Ditto Mond.  Newman isn't playing so obviously he can't get hot.    By early I mean the 2nd round.  Right now am thinking third round but will see.  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think QB 4 is Lance and he doesn't escape the top 10.  will see.  I wouldn't draft Mac Jones or Trask in the mid first round.  i wonder if Ridder goes earlier than I expect because he's gotten hot of late.  Ditto Mond.  Newman isn't playing so obviously he can't get hot.    By early I mean the 2nd round.  Right now am thinking third round but will see.  

I just don’t see 4 going top 10, however it is quite a unique year. I used the Will Grier example where Rivera was happy to pad the QB stable out behind Cam and Allen with a mid rounder. Could be an option. I do continue to think both he and Turner will be very intrigued with Lance though. 

If we finish 6-10 but lose out to the Giants, we’ll be what, 9-12 range? 

Like you said in another post, root for the W now, yesterday was fun. A damn good watch. Let’s see how the season plays out.

I have mixed feelings about the win yesterday. I love beating the Cowboys, especially the way we did, but I can't help but think it puts us in a terrible situation down the road. We desperately need a QB and some o line help and we aren't going to find those at #19 or even in the mid-rounds.

Yesterday was fun. Not many days I get to watch the Redskins win with my folks. Even got my mom singing Hail to the Washingtons (Chiefs fan, from Kansas) 

We are just going to have to work with what we got draft pick wise. There will be talent available when we pick, there always is. We just have to fit it in. (so says the man who has NO idea what players will be available) 

Euphoria aside, I'm still not sure how many more wins we have in us. The next three games are killer: Steelers, 49ers, and Seahawks. If we emerge from that with two wins I'll not only believe we are a playoff team, but that we can make some noise in the playoffs. As for the draft, I still think it's likely that we end up a 5 or 6 win team at the end of the year. That should net us a very good player. Maybe not the QB everyone wants, but maybe a very good prospect at linebacker, the offensive line, or wide receiver. We still have holes galore to fill.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I now don't think we find a QB in this draft who fixes the position long term.   Maybe Dallas ends up with Zach Wilson?  I assume not and they ride with Prescott.  So I guess maybe Sewell for them.

It's made studying the draft more complex.  No Parsons.  No Chase.  No Sewell.  So I start thinking:  Cosmi?  Darrishaw?  D. Smith?  Waddle maybe falls that far because of his injury?  Kyle Pitts?  

I like that list of players but would add Rondale Moore. He’s a stud and would be an instant and huge upgrade over Sims.

Regarding QB, I think you could argue that it makes even more sense to shoot for one now if the roster is closer than we thought. I think this Roster is only a few pieces away from being a playoff caliber roster. Honestly, if we are picking at 11 or 12, instead of 19, I’m trading up for Zach Wilson. I think he’s a franchise caliber guy and who knows how often you get that kind of opportunity. Alex Smith is good, but he’s going to be 37 in the 2021 season. There is no long term future there. 

It feels really good to beat Dallas twice in a year... yesterday was a lot of fun. 

I understand the concern regarding the later pick, but we're not doing this with aging vets.  We're doing this while developing a superstar, and 2 other potential superstars.  We're doing this while developing young talent.  It's not Bruce Smith at DE, Adrian Peterson at RB, and Dez Bryant at RB.  These are 3 players that are going to be in the long term plans of the team, so these are not hollow victories simply changing a draft position without long term benefit.  

Yesterday was the most complete game we've seen from this team this year.  We got gifted a handful of plays by some terrible coaching on the other side, but plays were made.  

If ultimately we end up picking 19 there will be players there.  I think this is going to put more of an emphasis of draft ability in the 2nd and 3rd round.  The difference between 37 and 51 is a much bigger gap in talent than the one between 5 and 19 imho.  That said, I want to win.  San Fran is beaten up, and the team on the field yesterday can beat Carolina and Philly, so there is a realistic path that this team goes 7-9.  I don't know that it's an 'expectation' but it's not borderline impossible to see that like it was a few weeks ago.   If we find a way to gel and surprise someone in the playoffs, who knows.  I'm not expecting it, but it could end up being a fun little ride here... different than 2005 or 2007, this team has long term building blocks instead of aging vets. 

At 19, there will be talent. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I like that list of players but would add Rondale Moore. He’s a stud and would be an instant and huge upgrade over Sims.

Regarding QB, I think you could argue that it makes even more sense to shoot for one now if the roster is closer than we thought. I think this Roster is only a few pieces away from being a playoff caliber roster. Honestly, if we are picking at 11 or 12, instead of 19, I’m trading up for Zach Wilson. I think he’s a franchise caliber guy and who knows how often you get that kind of opportunity. Alex Smith is good, but he’s going to be 37 in the 2021 season. There is no long term future there. 

I just wouldn't trade the moon to trade up for Wilson as much as i like him.  

I watched Randale Moore's debut last week versus Minny.  I plan to dive into him and Bateman, who just opted out of the season, neither of whom I watched much yet.  But I'll get to it.  I noticed your dude Parsons falls out of the top 10 in a bunch of mocks I looked at, i don't know what's driving that or if there is any validity to it.   

21 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

At 19, there will be talent. 

Of course there will be talent. There is talent in the 2nd round soon.  I think we will find a good player.  They just unlikely find their QB.  I'd rather have a young stud QB with veterans versus a young corp with a 37 year old QB if I had to choose. 

But agree we do have a bunch of young good players.  The challenge is some won't be able to be kept forever, the window might be closing on some soon.    The D line will unlikey be this D line for a lot longer.  I presume Settle leaves in FA.  Ionnadis and Payne and Allen are up soon.  Anderson i think is adios ditto Kerrigan this off season.  We might be at the peak of the D line this season or tops next season unless they decide to spend much of their cap on that position. 

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

...... The difference between 37 and 51 is a much bigger gap in talent between 5 and 19 ...

Not imo. Between 5-19 you can still get a "best at his position" player. Sure, talent is everywhere tho. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

...Settle ...

We gotta keep Settle over Allen.

Of course there will be talent.  They just unlikely find their QB.  I'd rather have a young stud QB with veterans versus a young corp with a 37 year old QB if I had to choose. 

But agree we do have a bunch of young good players.  The challenge is some won't be able to be kept forever, the window might be closing on some soon.    The D line will unlikley be this D line for a lot longer.  I presume Settle leaves in FA.  Ionnadis and Payne and Allen are up soon.  Anderson i think is adios ditto Kerrigan this off season.  We might be at the peak of the D line this season or tops next season. 

Fair enough, but the core of the D-line is intact, and the two bookends are likely going to be here for a long time.   As they develop, the interior will continue to benefit.  We have 4 starting caliber DTs on the team including Ioannidis who isn't even on the field.  Smith-Williams is getting playing time, and it's not likely that Allen, Payne, and Settle all leave.  We may not be AS DEEP going forward, but we will likely remain this talented for the long term... 

1 minute ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Not imo. Between 5-19 you can still get a "best at his position" player. Sure, talent is everywhere tho. 

yeah that read weird, sorry.  I'm making the same point you are.  That dropping from 5 - 19 can still get you a big time talent but the gap in the 2nd round is larger. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lance could be around. We don't know where he's going to end up. I think he goes top 10 and he's not an option. But who knows. 

There's a bunch of tackle types at 19: Leatherwood, Darrishaw, Cosmi, Radunz.

I have no interest in Pitts. That's not to say he's not an electric player. He is. But if we go tight end we need in-line guys. I think Thomas is more serviceable than many, and I think we're better at tight end than many would lead you to believe. 

I'm semi hesitant on receiver. I think this draft is more receiver heavy than last year's. We can snag a receiver later unless it's Jamar, Waddle, Smith or Moore. 

Owusa-Koramoah could be an option at 19 at LB. I haven't studied him enough to get a real good read. Just seen him on TV. Wil probably watch ND today and focus on guys I think could be dudes. 

I think that range is where Wyatt Davis and Vera-Tucker come into range as well...

And it's entirely possible that Dylan Moses is there. 

Freiermuth could climb draft boards as well, though I'm not sure I'd use a 1 on a TE that isn't a Pitts/Jordan type. 

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Fair enough, but the core of the D-line is intact, and the two bookends are likely going to be here for a long time.   As they develop, the interior will continue to benefit.  We have 4 starting caliber DTs on the team including Ioannidis who isn't even on the field.  Smith-Williams is getting playing time, and it's not likely that Allen, Payne, and Settle all leave.  We may not be AS DEEP going forward, but we will likely remain this talented for the long term... 

My point is won't be as deep and won't be able to benefit for much longer for having stars on that D line cheap.  Something will have to give.  And sticking to being a broken record 😀 nothing would help more than having a young QB who is really good AND cheap.  

If we don't have that we won't be likely be both shopping for an expensive veteran QB in a trade or in FA AND keeping this D line intact.  Part of my obsession with ending with a top 5 pick is I actually think this team has some nice pieces.  Man, if they had a young QB too, the sky would be the limit.  I don't think the sky is the limit with our current QB corp albeit I see this team with them evolving into a marginal playoff type of team like the 2015 team and potentially the 2018 team.  Similar to the Gibbs 2 teams, too.  I think we can relive the peak of Dan's best teams and more consistently so but I'd be surprised if we exceed that with our current corp at QB.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There's a bunch of tackle types at 19: Leatherwood, Darrishaw, Cosmi, Radunz.

i think its almost a given you got to go LT.  It's somewhat easy to find a guard in FA or later in the draft.  LT is more difficult.   I like a lot about what i've read about Darrisaw.  Maybe i'll try to watch some games of him today.

I'm semi hesitant on receiver. I think this draft is more receiver heavy than last year's. We can snag a receiver later unless it's Jamar, Waddle, Smith or Moore. 

I am somewhat in the same place.  Plus its a stacked FA corp.

Owusa-Koramoah could be an option at 19 at LB. I haven't studied him enough to get a real good read. Just seen him on TV. Wil probably watch ND today and focus on guys I think could be dudes. 

i watched a couple of games.  I'll watch ND today.   i liked him not loved.  But I generally love the hybrid types so I want to love him.  He's supposedly came on strong of late and I didn't watch any of those recent games.  He struck me more of a closer to the line of scrimmage player versus lets say Simmons who is equally adept at playing coverage.

And it's entirely possible that Dylan Moses is there. 

Judging by mocks, Dylan might drop to the 2nd but who knows.  His injury history is a red flag to me.  But I know Kyle loves his Alabama guys as do I. I've watched him in real time but haven't studied. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point is won't be as deep and won't be able to benefit for much longer for having stars on that D line cheap.  Something will have to give.  And sticking to being a broken record 😀 nothing would help more than having a young QB who is really good AND cheap.  

If we don't have that we won't be likely be both shopping for an expensive veteran QB in a trade or in FA AND keeping this D line intact.  Part of my obsession with ending with a top 5 pick is I actually think this team has some nice pieces.  Man, if they had a young QB too, the sky would be the limit.  I don't think the sky is the limit with our current QB corp albeit I see this team with them evolving into a marginal playoff type of team like the 2015 team and potentially the 2018 team.  Similar to the Gibbs 2 teams, too.  I think we can relive the peak of Dan's best teams and more consistently so but I'd be surprised if we exceed that with our current corp at QB.

Hey I agree with you... I'm not arguing against what a top tier QB can do here, so I hope it's not coming across that way.  I guess my point is that we're building and winning games along the way.... not forfeiting the future for hollow victories.  We're not trotting out old vets where the team has no pieces going forward.  THIS team has pieces going forward and those players the ones winning the games, so I don't have that feeling like we should be losing for benefit.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Hey I agree with you... I'm not arguing against what a top tier QB can do here, so I hope it's not coming across that way.  I guess my point is that we're building and winning games along the way.... not forfeiting the future for hollow victories.  We're not trotting out old vets where the team has no pieces going forward.  THIS team has pieces going forward and those players the ones winning the games, so I don't have that feeling like we should be losing for benefit.  

Agree with the general point.  I never advocate that a team should lose on purpose.  Part of me willing to deal with the pain of losing is I like a lot of the young pieces here and I think if they ended up 3-13 I wouldn't be in a panic about it.  IMO a good young QB and some upgrades in a few spots with this current roster and they would be a SB contender in short order.  

My thesis is no matter how many good young players we have -- we have almost no shot at a deep run into the playoffs let alone a SB with our current corp at QB.  And my other thesis is I'd bet the house that we don't find our franchise QB without a top type pick. 

So in one sense I love some of our pieces.  In another sense its bittersweet that while I am confident we can become a good team I am also equally confident that greatness isn't on the horizon unless they get wildly lucky at QB.  

My thesis is no matter how many good young players we have -- we have almost no shot at a deep run into the playoffs let alone a SB with our current corp at QB.  And my other thesis is I'd bet the house that we don't find our franchise QB without a top type pick. 

I agree! But, we are not one QB away. We need a LT, LB, and a WR2. I don't want to trade a fortune to move up if there is a LB or LT that Rivera and K. Smith like. My hope is that A. Smith can groom one of these young QBs. Allen, Haskins, or even Montez (kid has a heck of an arm and can scramble). "Maybe" it will click with one of them. This is the best young team we have had in my time of watching football. We are DEEP with youth. I am excited either way. 

26 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

My hope is that A. Smith can groom one of these young QBs. Allen, Haskins, or even Montez (kid has a heck of an arm and can scramble).

That won’t happen. All three are very clearly not the answer. We need to find a long term solution next year.

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As a card carrying member of the Suck For The High Pick club I went in rooting for a loss. But it's Dallas on Thanksgiving and after seeing how much better then were playing, it was really noticeable from the start, I had to root to kick some Cowboys ass. 

I know I'll regret it come draft day but damned yesterday was fun.  

I don't understand the let's loose attitude. I for one am sick of it. Do you see Pitt losing for a better draft choice? No, they trade their high draft choices, which are not that high anyway, for veteran secondary players as they do not want to train players if they can get a vet instead. No risk for busts that way. Fine if you have the top pick but there is no way you are getting that this year. Even if you got the second pick again there is no guarantee the QB you take will be a franchise guy anyway. I suppose we did not get any offers last year for the second pick so we had to make a choice.  I felt that if you do not take the QB then trade the pick but everyone wanted the pass rusher so fine. You got what you wanted. Way it worked out is ok with Smith playing better than expected. I did not see that coming. Now you have him this year and next and pos Haskins will learn and grow, and if that happens in the next 2 years then you will be set at QB for years. This team is young and it needs to learn how to win especially on the road. Yesterday's game was so enjoyable it is worth whatever penalty we will have to pay in draft capital. We did not sweep the boys since 2012 and we lost to them 8 times on Thanksgiving so I say screw the draft pick and enjoy the 2 ass kicking wins over the boys with the whole country watching. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Archived