Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Please no trading up for a QB. I want us to retain our picks. The cost of getting to #2 is going to be prohibitive. I think we could get the next rated QB at #5 or #6. After that, we’re likely to have won another 2 games minimum and all of a sudden the Smith/Allen combination start to look the 2021 favourite. 

I am all over the place with my view on this at the minute though :rofl89:

It seems like the 3rd best QB (If he's a good prospect) always goes to about pick 6 I'd say in a strong QB draft. 1999 was the last time 3 QBs went in the top 5 where Couch, McNabb, and Akili Smith went 1, 2, 3. 

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

It seems like the 3rd best QB (If he's a good prospect) always goes to about pick 6 I'd say in a strong QB draft. 1999 was the last time 3 QBs went in the top 5 where Couch, McNabb, and Akili Smith went 1, 2, 3. 

I think a bit of the QB hype will fall away nearer draft time. I think we can get one of these top four prospects unless we manage to fall over the line and win the division....

Been watching some highlight though, damn Parsons would look great on this team. We can’t go LB over QB picking top 6 though.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

And here lies the rub in why the fan base would struggle with a guy like Lance who may need some time before he’s ready.

Its entirely possible he’s ready day one. But it’s also possible he’s not ready until halfway through season 2.

The Football Team won’t make decisions based on fans, but once the fans start and the media runs with the narrative and Snyder gets ahold of it... problems start!

I think if we had our next quarterback sit behind someone like Alex Smith, then you wouldn't have as much of an uproar.  Our other quarterbacks, like Griffin and Haskins, weren't going to sit behind a legitimate starter.  I think the 2021 year would be a perfect storm in a good way for once, should we not eff it all up by winning the division.

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm not for trading up a RG3 type package or even a Wentz type package, especially not with seeing what Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, Allen, etc have become. I really wonder how Smith will grade the QBs.

Will it be tier1 - Lawrence

tier 2 - Fields 

tier 3 - everybody else

or is Fields up there with Lawrence? Is Wilson above Fields? And is that a generally accepted thing around the league or unique to Washington? Is Jones up there? Is Lance? How many of these guys are seen as just a guy vs something special? 

I doubt this year is comparable to 13, 11, 10, but 2009? 2008, where there were 5 QBs taken in the first 96 picks and only 2 became special - really 1 special and one a SB winner. 

I don't know if how Smith will grade the QB's, but I think of it as a first tier with Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson all in that first tier.  Within the first tier I think Lawrence is probably the best prospect as he is the least riskier as he has every physical tool.  I like Wilson more than Fields, but that one is highly debateable.  Do you value creativity (Wilson) or physical tools (Fields) more?

The beat report for Washington Post said this morning that she thinks Alex Smith will be the QB in 2021. Also said that the players like how Alex calms them down in the huddle. The players like Alex. 

If Ron is trying to win the division then that would make sense. Ron is not tanking to get that QB.

Now I really want us to finish #3 and see what Ron does instead. 

I have resigned to the fact we aren't getting Lawrence, Fields or Sewell.

As of this moment I'd be okay if you told me we would up with Wilson, Parsons or Lance.

Not sure there's anyone else in the top 8ish that I'd want over those guys.

Next is a Waddle/Moore/Chase/Smith pick after those guys. 

Then we start getting to Cosmi and Leatherwood. 

We won't get Lawrence or Fields. If we fall past Wilson, we should just build the line and have a full blown qb competition next off season with the guys we have. To me Lance is someone who needs to sit for at least 2 years, kind of like Jordan Love. I think Trask and Jones are backups to long term development players. They should not be drafted as an expectation to one day start. 

16 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

We won't get Lawrence or Fields. If we fall past Wilson, we should just build the line and have a full blown qb competition next off season with the guys we have. To me Lance is someone who needs to sit for at least 2 years, kind of like Jordan Love. I think Trask and Jones are backups to long term development players. They should not be drafted as an expectation to one day start. 

No linemen worth taking in the top 10 right now other than Sewell, in my opinion. Obviously that can change given the remainder of the season. But for now I wouldn't take Cosmi, Radunz or Leatherwood top 10. Alijah Vera-Tucker and Wyatt Davis are definitely guys we could look at, but they probably won't go until the 20's unless Vera-Tucker plays so well at tackle his position goes from IOL to OT. If he becomes an OT he's gone a lot sooner.

I'm fine with sitting Lance for as long as he needs to sit if we take him. I really think Smith is going to be our QB next year. 

I don't see any way that players would tank.

Their football futures, careers, and contracts are at stake.

Whether they're a young player who is somewhat marginal at the time, trying to establish himself in the league, he needs all the production he can get, to keep his career rolling.

Or whether it's an established player, who wants to play for a bigger contract ; none of them want the Tank Stain on their football resume, for a whole year, practically.

In addition, none of them want to be the 3-13 laughingstock of the town, and the league

I don't watch CFB so totally relying on what I hear from you all + online re: the prospects. Is Trey Lance supposed to have an elite ceiling but just needs time? If so, I am A-OK with letting him sit behind Alex next year. 

In other words, is the gap between Lance and Lawrence/Fields/Wilson about how high the ceiling is or Day 1 readiness?

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The issue is Scherff's contract. Is he worth dominant elite RG money? Schweitzer has been okay but grades out as fairly average. I'd like to resign Roullier though, he's solid and dependable. Definitely need a LT.

From watching film, Cooley says that Schweitzer is improving a lot every week. The dude is a starter here next year - he is due for a $5M cap hit next year and a $6M cap hit in 2022. Interestingly, he can play center too so he could also be a Roullier replacement, although I think Ismael is set to take that spot next year.

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I don't watch CFB so totally relying on what I hear from you all + online re: the prospects. Is Trey Lance supposed to have an elite ceiling but just needs time? If so, I am A-OK with letting him sit behind Alex next year. 

In other words, is the gap between Lance and Lawrence/Fields/Wilson about how high the ceiling is or Day 1 readiness?

Lance’s physical skill set is top of the line. He’s an absolute stud. He is fast, strong, big, and has a rocket. 

He has a strange release. Sometimes it’s quick. Sometimes it’s really “windmilly”. His mechanics slip at times as well, and not in a creative kind of way, they just kind of slip from time to time. Now, let’s be clear with that: his mechanics need work but they aren’t horrendous.

Hes also KIND OF (as in, it’s not always the case but it’s a repetitive pattern) a one read and take off guy. 

If Lance cleans up the mechanics, gets his reads down and can improve his release his ceiling is higher than any ones in this draft. 

The concern is that those things are often easier said than done, so his floor is pretty low.

In other words his boom:bust ratio is dramatically higher than the other guys.

A+ physically, in my opinion.

D from a “NFL Ready” perspective.

6 hours ago, method man said:

From watching film, Cooley says that Schweitzer is improving a lot every week. The dude is a starter here next year - he is due for a $5M cap hit next year and a $6M cap hit in 2022. Interestingly, he can play center too so he could also be a Roullier replacement, although I think Ismael is set to take that spot next year.

What has happened to Sadiq Charles? Haven't heard him mentioned in quite a while and I thought he was going to be the eventual starter this year.

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The issue is Scherff's contract. Is he worth dominant elite RG money? Schweitzer has been okay but grades out as fairly average. I'd like to resign Roullier though, he's solid and dependable. Definitely need a LT.

Yep Scherff’s likely contract demands are an issue. That said, if we roll with Alex Smith or a rookie QB in 202, priority one has to be keeping them clean. So with that in mind I would probably overpay to keep a good OL in place.

I would also draft OL day 2 without question.

3 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

What has happened to Sadiq Charles? Haven't heard him mentioned in quite a while and I thought he was going to be the eventual starter this year.

I copied a bit of a write up into the 2020 o-line thread for info on Charles.

6 hours ago, method man said:

agree. He totally warrants a starting position next season. 

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Lance’s physical skill set is top of the line. He’s an absolute stud. He is fast, strong, big, and has a rocket

A team with 12-18 months breathing space at QB is going to love him and take that flyer. As you say, Alex Smith at #1 with Rivera’s/Turners dependable back-up Kyle Allen in the fold make us very much in that race.

We are lined up for that scenario if Smith sees out this season in one piece whilst keeping us competitive.

10 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Why?

What's the alternative? The husk of Alex Smith throwing checkdowns for another year? You can't bank on the NFC East being this atrocious again.

The teams that draft QBs high but sit em have studs starting and can afford that luxury. We do not.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What's the alternative? The husk of Alex Smith throwing checkdowns for another year? You can't bank on the NFC East being this atrocious again.

The teams that draft QBs high but sit em have studs starting and can afford that luxury. We do not.

One sentence it’s checkdown Smith.

Next sentence it’s stud Smith whilst Mahomes was sat.

Make your mind up :evil:

18 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think a bit of the QB hype will fall away nearer draft time. I think we can get one of these top four prospects unless we manage to fall over the line and win the division....

Been watching some highlight though, damn Parsons would look great on this team. We can’t go LB over QB picking top 6 though.

Yep Sewell and Parsons would fill huge needs.  Personally I believe LB, specifically MLB, is this team's biggest need. But I agree they simply have to take a QB. I would be fine rolling with Alex to show the rookie how it's done, and Kyle as the backup to allow the rookie to learn and grow regardless of who it is.  Hell I'd be fine starting Kyle next season. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

What's the alternative?

Letting him sit and learn behind Smith to set us up with long term success. I prefer that one to rushing a QB who isn't ready to chase some immediate gratification.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

You can't bank on the NFC East being this atrocious again.

Here is a wacky idea--let's practice what we preach, and actually have a smidge of patience, and try and build a team that can compete in any division, not just a down trodden NFC East.

Archived