Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

39 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

If that’s his natural instinct then it’s a poor quality to have when working in a highly controversial environment.

I get the point but IMO its not easy to have a job where your mistakes-warts are there for the whole world to see.   Most professions aren't like that.  But definitely sports, entertainment, politics fall in this category.    I am especially sympathetic to it because i have an inkling of what that feels like. 

To me dissappearing for a few weeks is not that uncommon in a context like this.  Heck its a common tactic for PR firms as to their advice to clients after a mishap.  Own up to things, then lay low and then resurface.   It would be one thing for me if I thought we need a consistent dialogue from Jason.     I guess its cool when he posts on twitter a video of him enjoying himself at the Cleveland game last year or whatever but it does nothing for me personally.    As a fan, Jason Wright speaking publicly or not speaking publicly I personally don't give a rats behind about.  But that's me.  So for me, it doesn't really bug me at all. 

Heck after Bruce's disaster winning off the field press conference we hardly ever saw him ever again let alone just laying low for three weeks.  And Bruce's job demanded much more visbility considering he was in charge of both football and business. 

The main thing I want out of him is a new stadium.  The rest of it seems to me to be a side show.   I went into detail years back about why from what i've heard Bruce has gone about the stadium in the wrong way.  Jason to me, purely based on rhetoric about the process, personal-people skills, and general smarts seems miles and miles smarter than Bruce.  So I get a good vibe from him that he's our best chance to get it done.  But will see. 

I'll judge Jason in the end mostly based on what goes down on that front.  I don't care about what he talks about or doesn't talk about relating to the team name and all the other issues that for me are sideshow minor league stuff.

I've had Rivera's back pretty much the whole time here so far.  But there is an end game for me there.  Ultimately, Ron has to find that missing franchise QB to turn the tide here so we can finally be a consistent winner.  And if he ultimately doesn't do it.  I'll turn on him.  I gave Shanny plenty of rope but when in my eyes he failed, I turned on him.  As for Jason Wright, there is an end game for me with him too and that is go get a stadium.  If he does well on that front, he will keep my loyalty.  if he fails he will lose my loyalty.

Most of us agree this franchise is at a serious crossroads.  We have a clown owner and i don't think that will change.  So IMO there is two things that can maybe save this franchise in spite of Dan.

A.  Finally find that elusive franchise QB.  Ron to me is on the clock on this.  

B.  Get a spanking new stadium with all the bells and whistles.  Jason is on the clock on that front.

Both tasks are hard.  Both might fail.  But I am not going to give them a hard time leading up to them taking those big swings.  If they swing and miss.  I'll trash them both.   But for now, I'll have their back mostly for the same reason.  They both seem to have really good people skills.  And they both seem smart.  Those qualities are lacking in our owner.  

Dan working with Bruce to get a stadium to me was a walking cartoon comedy show.  I don't see Jason Wright as a walking cartoon joke the way I saw Bruce.    I don't expect him or anyone to nail everything along the way.  If you got enough irons in the fire you are going to make mistakes and that goes double when you are working in that crap show.  Ditto Rivera.  So I am giving both a break until the main plot unfolds.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Both tasks are hard.  Both might fail.  But I am not going to give them a hard time leading up to them taking those big swings.  If they swing and miss.  I'll trash them both.   But for now, I'll have their back mostly for the same reason.  They both seem to have really good people skills.  And they both seem smart.  Those qualities are lacking in our owner.  

I'm not sure they would deserve trashing if they fail.

They already have a good excuse for failing written that is 3 letters long....

D

A

N

With the reputation Dan has right now, and all the stories surrounding this team, Congress and so on... It won't be easy to get a new stadium paid by taxpayers like Dan wants it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

With the reputation Dan has right now, and all the stories surrounding this team, Congress and so on... It won't be easy to get a new stadium paid by taxpayers like Dan wants it.

Yep. Dan's brand is toxic, so I don't see governments or financial institutions handing him a bunch of money for a new stadium anytime soon. He's kind of stuck, because he doesn't have the money to fund it himself.

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

I really hope he isn’t allowed a new stadium and MD doesn’t renew his lease at FedEX either.  

So you’d rather have the team play in a parking lot or......? Because that’ll be what happens if he isn’t allowed a stadium and fedex field doesn’t renew the lease. A fan shouldn’t want the team to have literally nowhere to play. 

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So you’d rather have the team play in a parking lot or......? Because that’ll be what happens if he isn’t allowed a stadium and fedex field doesn’t renew the lease. A fan shouldn’t want the team to have literally nowhere to play. 

Guess he’ll just have to move the team or sell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Please, DC will cave, too much money on the table.

Money from whom?  Taxpayers? I strongly doubt that any DC politician who wants to remain in office is going to agree to use taxpayer funds to build Dan a stadium. If Dan was proposing to build the stadium without taxpayer dollars, that might change the equation.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, profusion said:

Money from whom?  Taxpayers? I strongly doubt that any DC politician who wants to remain in office is going to agree to use taxpayer funds to build Dan a stadium. If Dan was proposing to build the stadium without taxpayer dollars, that might change the equation.

You think DC taxpayers at the time wanted a baseball stadium knowing the plan was to nuke SW DC?  I'm telling you, second Virginia starts courting them, DC government will change their tune.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You think DC taxpayers at the time wanted a baseball stadium knowing the plan was to nuke SW DC?  I'm telling you, second Virginia starts courting them, DC government will change their tune.

Politicians wanted their name attached to the Nationals. Not so for Dan Snyder. It might have worked a decade ago, but I think that ship has sailed.

He'll have to cobble together a financing package, which will limit his options for the kind of ritzy mixed-use development the NFL and local jurisdictions have been favoring lately. Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke had a built-in advantage in also being real-estate developers.

59 minutes ago, profusion said:

Politicians wanted their name attached to the Nationals. Not so for Dan Snyder. It might have worked a decade ago, but I think that ship has sailed.

Mayor Anthony could care less about attaching his name to anything else except increasing tax revenue for the city.  That was the plan all along, no matter what DC residents thought. It took a while for a lot of DC black residents to come around to the Nationals because of it.

Then why did the DC Mayor keep saying we needed to change the name to move to DC if she didn't want us in DC?  How come the last couple democratic Virginia governors have floated out the idea of a NOVA stadium? Its only when summer of 2020 hit that Northam said we needed to change the name, now we have a GOP governor who i promise you could care less about our scandals.

59 minutes ago, profusion said:

He'll have to cobble together a financing package, which will limit his options for the kind of ritzy mixed-use development the NFL and local jurisdictions have been favoring lately. Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke had a built-in advantage in also being real-estate developers.

Don't you remember the scale model for the stadium a little while ago?  That wasn't Jerry's World, there's no intent to rip apart Capitol Hill like they did SW DC, those residwntial properties are far too valuable now.

Edited by Renegade7

On 11/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, Wildbunny said:

I'm not sure they would deserve trashing if they fail.

They already have a good excuse for failing written that is 3 letters long....

D

A

N

No doubt.   My point is I'll judge Rivera primarily by can he break the cycle of this team's losing.   Every coach here has had a losing record here post Gibbs 1.   And IMO to break that they got to find a QB.  If he doesn't pull it off then I am not per se going to trash him but I'll add him into the pile of dudes who couldn't pull it off here.  But yeah clearly Dan is the main reason why anyone can't pull it off.  As I've stated a million times over the years among other people.

As for Jason Wright ditto.    My point with him is for me i don't really care about the other stuff he's working on.  I care about getting the new stadium.  That's it. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Then why did the DC Mayor keep saying we needed to change the name to move to DC if she didn't want us in DC?  How come the last couple democratic Virginia governors have floated out the idea of a NOVA stadium? Its only when summer of 2020 hit that Northam said we needed to change the name, now we have a GOP governor who i promise you could care less about our scandals.

My thoughts on the DC situation… I think she said that at a time when Danny Boy had his heels dug on the name change. She thought he wouldn’t, thus was bluffing. I don’t really think the DC government wants the team (whether capital T or lower-case) in the District. The same time, I don’t think Youngkin could care less about them. So… again just my thoughts… Virginia and DC are out. Snyder has zero friends. Anywhere. Period.

• Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

My thoughts on the DC situation… I think she said that at a time when Danny Boy had his heels dug on the name change. She thought he wouldn’t, thus was bluffing. I don’t really think the DC government wants the team (whether capital T or lower-case) in the District. The same time, I don’t think Youngkin could care less about them. So… again just my thoughts… Virginia and DC are out. Snyder has zero friends. Anywhere. Period.

I wonder if Youngkin and Snyder have known each other in local business circles over the years. My guess is no because Youngkin made his ascent around the time Danny became a recluse

7 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

What a baffling stream of thought to make yourself feel right. 

This isnt about friends, its about money.  DC notoriously does things against its residents wishes for tax revenue, its a huge reason for the level of gentrification in the city right now. DC's biggest hurdle now is getting control of the RFK site from Congress and the Feds now that name change is done.

And if the previous democratic governors want them in NOVA for that same money, why wouldn't the republican?  You think he doesn't care about money?  

https://roanoke.com/news/state-and-regional/in-virginia-governors-race-the-washington-football-team-is-an-early-winner-as-it-continues/article_23e37f53-987a-52c4-a6f6-9c94ab1bd4f6.amp.html

Youngkin campaign spokesperson Macaulay Porter sent a statement to The Times-Dispatch in response to an inquiry on the topic:

“Glenn welcomes the possibility of a new stadium in Virginia, but it’s important to ensure that the necessary infrastructure and ability to accommodate additional traffic are addressed as part of any deal. Glenn wants to make Virginia the most attractive place in America for employers and jobs, but incentives for businesses must put Virginia taxpayers’ best interests first.”

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What a baffling stream of thought to make yourself feel right. 

This isnt about friends, its about money.  DC notoriously does things against its residents wishes for tax revenue, its a huge reason for the level of gentrification in the city right now. DC's biggest hurdle now is getting control of the RFK site from Congress and the Feds now that name change is done.

And if the previous democratic governors want them in NOVA for that same money, why wouldn't the republican?  You think he doesn't care about money?  

https://roanoke.com/news/state-and-regional/in-virginia-governors-race-the-washington-football-team-is-an-early-winner-as-it-continues/article_23e37f53-987a-52c4-a6f6-9c94ab1bd4f6.amp.html

Make myself feel right? What the **** does that even mean? I was just typing what I was thinking, not a manifesto.

I don’t think Youngkin is allergic to money. I do think he’s aware, though, that there would have to be a vast, vast majority of private funding and that’s where Snyder has no friends. They know that he’s not only a lump of ****, but a bad businessman who struck lightning with his initial fortune.

The tax revenue in Loudoun isn’t what was expected to from from the Dulles Corridor and I don’t think the Loudoun residents would vote to absorb even more debt right now. Where in Fairfax would you even put a stadium? You’re certainly not going over the mountain into Clarke or Frederick Counties (Berryville, Winchester and etcetera). Would it go down 66 into Gainesville or past Haymarket? That area of 66 is already a nightmare.

17 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Make myself feel right? What the **** does that even mean? I was just typing what I was thinking, not a manifesto.

You're right, that was harsh, happy thanksgiving...

I don’t think Youngkin is allergic to money. I do think he’s aware, though, that there would have to be a vast, vast majority of private funding and that’s where Snyder has no friends. They know that he’s not only a lump of ****, but a bad businessman who struck lightning with his initial fortune.

But he owns a franchise that even without fans last year turned a considerable profit, all the teams did.  I keep hearing friends, are we assuming he's broke or can't get loans from banks?

The tax revenue in Loudoun isn’t what was expected to from from the Dulles Corridor and I don’t think the Loudoun residents would vote to absorb even more debt right now. Where in Fairfax would you even put a stadium? You’re certainly not going over the mountain into Clarke or Frederick Counties (Berryville, Winchester and etcetera). Would it go down 66 into Gainesville or past Haymarket? That area of 66 is already a nightmare.

Silver line is stretching all the way out to Ashburn, plenty of land out there.  I sincerely doubt the Virginia governors would be openly courting a stadium there only to leave Loudon for dead when it comes to public funding.  

Here's a couple examples of recent stadiums, theres plenty where the state stepped in to help the locality get the deal done:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buffalonews.com/news/local/pay-to-play-how-21-nfl-stadiums-have-been-financed/article_319a3686-0c28-11ec-a568-dbcbdd817498.amp.html

I don't know a heck of lot about the nuances of the land around the DMV.  I lived in the DMV but that was eons ago.

As for the politics, among other things I thought it was insane for Bruce to try to lock in a stadium without lobbyists help.  Lobbyists get a bad name but part of why they get paid big bucks is they both know the process inside and out and also you buy their influence.   A dude like Dan especially needs this kind of help because on his own he has few political friends from what I've read.  So he basically needs to buy his political friends.  I've seen Florida politically connected owners who didn't just hire a lobbyist but hired a team of them.  And they already had a good network to start with.   I've been on both sides of that fight.  I've worked in the legislature when my boss was being lobbied on the issue.  And I did some small PR work for a friend who was hired to push for a stadium.

It's beyond a tough fight these days, tougher than ever, because the taxpayer funded aspect of the game has become even more unpopular over time.  And often now there is a counter organized mobilizing political force against the attempt to get a stadium funded with taxpayer help.

From what I've read and heard previously, it was Bruce being his typical penny wise but pound foolish approach.   He seemed to think he and his brother alone could leverage their political connections and somehow pull off a miracle.  Knowing his style, he probably was his typical arrogant self and just thought I am Bruce Allen and my brother was Governor, enough said.   The fact that they didn't add more muscle to that effort was politically suicidal IMO and said so at the time.  And considering how Bruce was cheap with everything, including facilities, and lacked imagination -- I think even if he could get his act together whatever they produced would have been a let down. 

I don't see how Dan can pull off taxpayer funded help here.  Other situations around the league was hard enough when things were more normal.  Jason IMO is smart to not leak progress if there is any.  In their shoes, i want all the details fleshed out as much as possible before anything is leaked.  The obvious pickle that they now have to deal with is the sexual harassment case.  The opposition could mobilze on that issue alone to gather political opposition.  Any legislator who supports a tax funded component of the stadium would also get attacked for all the baggage that Dan brings -- especially the recent scandals.

I think his only shot to get some taxpayer help woulld be similar to NE where Kraft fully funded the stadium but got some infrastructure upgrades in the adjacent areas. I don't see how they do this without personal seat licenses to fund it.  Dan supposedly is cash poor so he likely would have to borrow heavily to fund it.  Maybe the NFL would help him on that front?

Jason Wright from when he's spoken about this seems to be trying to sell the project as a multi-utility type of project where the stadium wouldn't be just about football and the venue would part of some sort of business-entertainment park.    It makes me think some of Arizona's stadium which has a hotel right on its premises and is feet away from a full entertainment complex with restaurants-movie theater, etc.  I get the point of pushing it that way because part of the push against NFL stadiums is that they aren't major revenue bringers because the football season is short and you have so many games and that's it.  Which isn't the case for lets say baseball or hockey or basketball.

So selling it as a year round thing makes sense.  The hard thing though is actually doing it.   From what I know about the DMV area which granted is limited, the National Harbor fits that vision.  You already have the entertainment complex in place which can be expanded and they could feed off of it.  Heck the team already stays at one of the hotels there.  Plus I think the kicker is somehow merging gambiling into this and you have an existing vehicle for that too at the Harbor.

I think Jason is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat.  Maybe an advantage he has is gambiling has become more accepted and rampant with sports.  Perhaps they can be the first team that somehow heavily incorporates that from the jump as a mechanism to help fund the stadium?  I got no clue about how that's done but maybe there is a creative way to do it?

https://www.sportico.com/business/finance/2021/raiders-stadium-debt-payment-1234630474/

RAIDERS STADIUM AGAIN NEEDS BACKUP FUNDS TO MEET DEBT PAYMENT

BY BRENDAN COFFEY

Las Vegas Raiders stadium
The new home field of the Raiders needed another financial assist from taxpayers.AP PHOTO/JOHN LOCHER

For the second time in six months, Nevada’s Clark County has to pull millions of dollars from reserve funds to meet a payment on the Las Vegas Raiders’ one-year-old stadium.

The county disclosed in regulatory filings that it will make an unscheduled draw of $11.7 million from one of the reserve funds backstopping the $645 million in bonds issued in 2018 that helped finance Allegiant Stadium. The county has a $16.1 million payment due on the bonds for June 1.

“This action does not constitute a default and was expected in light of the decline in tourism to Las Vegas,” Clark County director of communications Erik Pappa wrote in an email. “Fortunately, the financing for the Stadium Authority bonds included the funding of a debt service reserve fund to weather economic declines like the one Las Vegas is currently experiencing due to the pandemic.”

In November, municipal officials pulled out $11.6 million from reserves to meet the Dec. 1 semi-annual payment. Clark County dedicates a hotel tax of 0.88% around the famed Strip and 0.5% from hotels near the stadium to repay the bonds. Hotel occupancy is rebounding in the city but still fell 36% short of the 2019 level in March, according to data from the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Bureau. While the county pledges to maintain a bond reserve of two times annual debt service payments, the drawdown isn’t a default—a specific action that gives bondholders legal recourse—under the terms they were issued.

Ultimately, whether or not tourists ever rent rooms in the city again, county residents are on the hook to pay the bills: The bonds were issued as a general obligation of Clark County, meaning the government pledges to use its full power of taxation to ensure the bonds are paid.

The county has to pay $35.4 million in its next fiscal year, starting July 1, rising annually to $59.2 million in 2048 when the last of the bonds mature. By the time the Allegiant Stadium debt is retired, Clark County will have paid $709 million in interest on top of the $645 million in principal for its financing of the football stadium.

The domed arena, which opened last summer, was built at a cost of $1.8 billion—$750 million from Clark County, $200 million from the NFL, $250 million from stadium seat licenses and a $600 million bank loan to the Raiders.

Interesting to read the details about Allegiant Stadium.  I thought the Santa Clara County taxpayers were stupid to help fund the 49ers stadium.  I know that county

is having ongoing battles with the Jed York.   I do not believe taxpayers should fund stadiums.  Let Snyder build his own stadium and get loans from whomever.

He will get revenue from seat licenses, concessions, parking, merchandising, naming rights for the stadium, etc. etc.  He will get NFL tv money like he gets now.

His only hope is that Rivera can get the team to have a winning record for a few years in a row and then he can try to get infrastructure financing for road and transportation

improvements from a government jurisdiction in the metro area.  In addition during the year when there are no games there, he will bring in concerts, sporting events, etc

and continue to make money to pay off his loans.  It would be great if no one jurisdiction caved to him and he sold the team and then a new owner could build the stadium.

For example,  Bezos would not need any financial support from any of the metro governments whatsoever and he would not need to borrow money from the NFL like Snyder did recently.

@Skinsinparadise this quote bothers me because you and others keep saying it:

I don't see how Dan can pull off taxpayer funded help here.  Other situations around the league was hard enough when things were more normal.  Jason IMO is smart to not leak progress if there is any.  In their shoes, i want all the details fleshed out as much as possible before anything is leaked.  The obvious pickle that they now have to deal with is the sexual harassment case.  The opposition could mobilze on that issue alone to gather political opposition.  Any legislator who supports a tax funded component of the stadium would also get attacked for all the baggage that Dan brings -- especially the recent scandals.

I jus posted an article in this thread where both candidates for Virginia governor were asked about this and both still support a stadium in NOVA.  The idea that politicians are scared to tie themselves to Snyder is wishful thinking, it jus isn't true. At the highest level of government in my state they do not care.

This is strictly about money, especially Virginia, jus look at how we whored ourselves out for Amazon HQ2 despite local opposition and all the crap that company is accused of, for example.

BTW, National Habor doesn't have metro access, so that's a no go for a lot of people.  Even the underconstruction purple line doesn't go there.

Once upon a time I had the energy to protest against politicians that supported tax payer money for a new stadium.  I dont anymore, because of the level of apathy in the fan base.  I'm not convinced the energy isn't there to stop this from happening anymore, not at all.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

@Skinsinparadise this quote bothers me because you and others keep saying it:

I jus posted an article in this thread where both candidates for Virginia governor were asked about this and both still support a stadium in NOVA.  The idea that politicians are scared to tie themselves to Snyder is wishful thinking, it jus isn't true. At the highest level of government in my state they do not care.

I think you got to make a major distinction.

A.   EVERY state or city just about would love to have an NFL team.

B.  The controversey is taxpayer funded stadium.

The debate is B not A.  If you are arguing that Virginia would absolutely push a taxpayer funded stadium, then I think you might be wrong.  That would be the controversy attaching yourself to Dan.  Asking for taxpayers to pay for Dan's project.

If Dan is willing to pay it himself.  Then the whole world is his oyster.

• Thanks 1

I'll add to that that there are three reporters who are covering this story as for the stadium: Loverro, Liz Clark and to a lesser extent Rick Snider.  I forgot Snider's take on it.

But I do know Clark and Loverro both said they poked with a number of local politicians on it.  From those conversations, both think Dan wouldn't successfully get it tax funded.  He'd need to fund it himself.  And if he's not willing to fund it himself it they both guessed he'd end up rennovating the stadium at Fedex because it would be cheaper that way. 

• Thanks 2

Dan will never get a locally funded team. Not by the local governments and not thru psls. There aren’t enough remaining fans to finance a stadium.

Dan’s only hope is thru gambling. Have the first  fully gaming football stadium where you can make bets on a million game related propositions from your seat. Also, probably have a casino as part of the stadium complex.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dan’s only hope is thru gambling. Have the first  fully gaming football stadium where you can make bets on a million game related propositions from your seat. Also, probably have a casino as part of the stadium complex.

Wiz owner kinda paved the way for that in this area by opening a sportsbook in the stadium I believe.

I cant imagine a new stadium in any major sport skippin on an onsite sportsbook if the option is available.

Edited by FootballZombie

Beating a dead horse at this point, but Jason Wright spoke about the Sean Taylor jersey retirement and admitted that they screwed it up. https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2021/11/20/jason-wright-admits-the-washington-football-team-botched-sean-taylors-jersey-retirement/

Now, over one month later, Wright was a guest of the Sports Junkies on Friday and admitted Washington botched Taylor’s jersey retirement.

“When you make a change that quickly, you lose a little bit of institutional knowledge and you can definitely lose a lot of connection to the history of this club,” Wright said, per Matt Weyrich of NBC Sports Washington.

That’s something that has happened and we need to course correct…like the way that we royally F’d up the Sean Taylor jersey retirement. I’m so grateful that the family was blessed and so rewarded and so honored, but our fans didn’t get the right opportunity to celebrate that.

Wright deserves credit for owning this, whether it was decision or not. He also understood what Taylor meant to the fans.

“Part of that is the institutional knowledge that we lost and the understanding that even if we had done a best-class jersey retirement according to NFL standards, that wouldn’t have been enough because this is a spiritual thing for this fanbase,” Wright said.

“This is something much, much deeper and we needed a much more comprehensive approach, and so we’re going to hire back into the organization and bring back into the organization the right institutional knowledge and connection to the history.”

I, too, am grateful that Sean Taylor's family was blessed, rewarded, and honored to have a photo shoot in front of the port-a-potties. 😐