Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Just now, Wildbunny said:

I would suggest you to look a few page back. Maybe even the first pages of the game thread.

@TK has got a nice theory about it. And as @NewCliche21 said. Not having anything ready for an 87 years old guy that was the face of the franchise for 50 years is being incompetent.

Those should have been ready years ago.

What are they gonna do if Joe Gibbs pass away in two weeks? Send an email?

What should they have had ready? Hmm? They issued a statement on the same exact DAY, and a picture of him the day after, with his year of birth to year of death. They had those two things ready to post, yet everybody decides to trash them over it, because it’s all anyone is used to. It’s pathetic. 

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What should they have had ready? Hmm?

for starters ...

1.  Redskin career highlight video for social media.

2.  Helmet sticker/jersey patch.

3.  Multiple video tributes during gameday.  

An organization desperate to win back its fan base should be going above and beyond at every opportunity ... not just the bare minimum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, 09 said:

for starters ...

1.  Redskin career highlight video for social media.

2.  Helmet sticker/jersey patch.

3.  Multiple video tributes during gameday.  

An organization desperate to win back its fan base should be going above and beyond at every opportunity ... not just the bare minimum.

The way this team did it was like having my grandpa pass away and for the only comment to be "he was a pretty cool dude...the buffet is ready in the next room."

In the grand scheme of things, the semi-snub of Huff wouldn't amount to much if it was just a one-off mistake or for someone who only played a few years...but this team continues to justify the criticism it receives because by this point they should have been on top of things...if it mattered to them, which it clearly doesn't, as evidence by the fact the team only had one person in HR...and she was part-time to boot!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What should they have had ready? Hmm? They issued a statement on the same exact DAY, and a picture of him the day after, with his year of birth to year of death. They had those two things ready to post, yet everybody decides to trash them over it, because it’s all anyone is used to. It’s pathetic. 

You never wondered why when someone like David Bowie passes away, National media can puts on a 15 minutes stuff about him in less than a minute?

Because it is ready well beyond. They do have necros ready for every VIP. And I'm not even gonna go the way of Queen Elizabeth II. You bet all redaction worldwide already have something ready for when it happen.

Being ready, foresee what may or will inevitably happen is what are doing successfull organisation. Such impreparation just shows what kind of amateurs we are because we aren't even able to foresee the obvious stuff. Many people thinks it's about IF when in fact most of the time it's more like WHEN instead of IF. Because it will happen.

Being unprepared was OK for ST's death because that was unexpected and tragic. But for a guy aged 87? Seems like way of life to me...

When Dan Marino passes away, the Dolphins won't come up with just a tweet to honor him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The team twitter account sure is announcing wale as our MNF halftime performance a bit early aren’t they? That’s something they should announce on Saturday the 27th :P 

He’s performing “Sue me” with the Gruden lawsuit and the sexual harassment stuff it’s an interesting choice.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

He’s performing “Sue me” with the Gruden lawsuit and the sexual harassment stuff it’s an interesting choice.

Yeah, not a smart song title to play at our games. But it’s important to know the point of the song too. It’s social justice, for our social justice-themed game on MNF. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

A few thoughts on a couple topics...

On Huff...

First of all - I miss the Sam Huff of the 80s and 90s. I never watched him play, but I know him as a very entertaining "tough guy" radio announcer and loved him as that. The guy who always needed to be reined in by Herzog and Sonny who understood the logical side of the game better. He was perfect in that booth with those two. On the tribute side of things. What the team did was OK. But I think what we're seeing is the difference between a bad organization and top-tier organization. A great organization run by great men would have had something wonderful for someone like Sam Huff...even on short notice. That's not to say what the Redskins did was criminal or a slap in the face, it's just that they aren't a good organization. They are just bad at things like this - but this isn't as ****ty as the Sean Taylor thing because it wasn't an attempt to distract from other things. 

On the Wale halftime show...

How idiotic are these people? I don't care how woke this song is? They are so tone deaf to let this guy sing a song called Sue Me in this environment. No, it doesn't mean that I don't think the cause is great. It's just that only a small number do and it looks like they are pissing in the face of the people upset about the e-mails and the lawsuits, etc. 

THEY ARE DUMB. 

• Like 4

this is nothing revelatory or particularly insightful, but imo represents a solid capsulation of how dan as a person, dan's history as owner, and the team as an organization during his tenure is broadly--i'd say almost universally---seen by the bulk of the nfl world (bolded sections mine)

https://sports.yahoo.com/empty-seats-scandals-appears-no-100033527.html

Empty seats and scandals: It appears no one wants to be a Washington fan

The Guardian

Dave Caldwell
Wed, November 17, 2021

The ageless Tom Brady was in town on Sunday, and it was a nice day to watch football even at a dull stadium stuck in the suburbs. The Washington Football Team were 9.5-point underdogs against Tampa Bay, but, still, only 52,128 of 82,000 tickets were sold for a game between Brady’s Bucs and the WFT, the lowest paid NFL attendance over the weekend.

Brady had a bad day, and the Football Team somehow put together a 19-play, 10½-minute touchdown drive to seal a shock 29-19 victory, but the lousy turnout was not a surprise. Washington are dead last in the NFL in average home attendance this season, selling an average of 51,291 tickets to their five home games. So Sunday was actually an improvement at the gate.

They have somehow managed to draw fewer fans than the winless Detroit Lions, who are averaging 52,016 per home game. Washington, fourth in average attendance in 2011 and 20th in 2019, are the only team in the NFL selling fewer than 80% of their tickets (Washington home games average 62.6% capacity, the next lowest rate in the league is the Lions’ 80.7%). To make matters worse, many of the fans who do buy tickets come to root for the other team.

There are lots of reasons as to why this is, only a few of which have to do with football. Washington are 3-6, tied for last with the New York Giants for last place in the NFC East, with virtually no chance to win a division title. The quarterback, Taylor Heinicke, replaced injured veteran, Ryan Fitzpatrick, who’d been signed as a free agent to bide a year.

Even the victory over Tampa Bay was smudged with the news that defensive end Chase Young, the NFL defensive rookie of the year last season, tore his right anterior cruciate ligament against the Bucs and will miss the rest of the season. “You have to rally the troops, basically,” head coach Ron Rivera said at a news conference. “That’s just the way it is.”

Maybe Rivera will be able to rally his troops, but resuscitating interest in the team is proving to be a bigger challenge. The Dallas Cowboys may still be the most hated team in the NFL, but Washington, beset by one controversy after another, have to be the hardest team in the NFL for their own fans to like. Many have tuned out.

The latest mess only happened in October, when the House Oversight and Reform Commission asked the NFL to provide information collected in an investigation into the WFT’s toxic workplace culture. The NFL answered Congress’s questions but did not submit documents requested. The NFL had fined the WFT $10m in July for “bullying and intimidation.”

Along with accepting the fine, the franchise said Dan Snyder, the owner of the team for more than two decades, would take a lesser role in the organization. His wife, Tanya, would take over running the franchise, but many fans were disappointed that Dan Snyder, a widely disliked character, had not been kicked out for good – so the franchise, established in 1932, could launch another restart.

“The last really great season they had was in 1991,” Andy Pollin, a longtime Washington sports-radio talk-show host, tells the Guardian. “Mostly since 1999 when Dan Snyder bought the team, they’ve been a disaster. His mismanagement of the team has just been a head-scratcher.”

Washington are even entwined in other team’s problems. Las Vegas coach Jon Gruden resigned last month after an investigation found that he had made racist, homophobic and misogynistic comments in emails, some to Bruce Allen, Washington’s much-reviled former general manager. (Gruden has sued the NFL, claiming the league forced him out of his job.)

The Fox affiliate in Washington carried a story last week in which it quoted a former fan, Shaun Taylor, as saying, “This has been happening for a long time. So yeah, I’m done. I just don’t watch the games anymore.” Fans are gravitating to the exciting Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens, a playoff contender who play only 32 miles up the road.

“If you’re new to the area, which team are you going to gravitate to?” Pollin says.

The Football Team can’t even get the easy stuff right. Last month the team announced there would be a ceremony during a home game to retire the No 21 jersey worn by Sean Taylor, the Washington defensive back who was murdered in November 2007 by home intruders. The announcement was made just days before the game against the Chiefs, and the lack of notice for the ceremony was blamed for another disappointing crowd – this time just 51,322.

“We thought that saving the news for a game-week reveal was the best way to focus the message on Sean and his legacy,” Jason Wright, the team president, wrote in a letter to fans. “We didn’t realize that so many of you wanted to make a trip to FedEx Field to be present for this moment – a true lack of understanding of what you, the lifeblood of this franchise, needed to mourn our collective loss and celebrate Sean’s legacy.”

Being that this was Dan Snyder’s team, Washington were ripped not just for appearing to have scheduled the Taylor event to distract from the off-field strife, but also for renaming a road for Taylor at the stadium … that was lined with Porta-Potties. On and on it goes. The team is in Year 2 of finding a nickname that will replace its old racist one.

“Riverboat Ron” Rivera provided a touching storyline last season, his first with Washington, by leading the team to the NFC East title as he battled squamous cell carcinoma. The Football Team topped a woeful division by winning seven of 16 games, but Washington tested Tampa Bay in a playoff game, trailing by just five points late in the fourth quarter.

Pollin is a third-generation Washingtonian who grew up rooting for the team partly because they were the only pro franchise in town for years when he was a kid. The NHL’s Washington Capitals, MLB’s Nationals and WNBA’s Mystics have each won championships in the last three years.

Pollin describes the abandonment of the football team as a “slow drip.” There are many long-time Dallas Cowboys fans among Black DC residents because Washington were the last NFL team to integrate, in 1962. Later came the Snyder era, which only seems to have gotten worse. “Now, a 10-win season would be cause for a parade,” he says. As a result, he says of the chaos, “The shock factor is just not there with anything that happens with this team.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am still a fan, but reach a point of not caring each season. While I had the game on, I wasn't paying attention early on. Missed the Chase injury.

I already don't expect much from a Synder owned team, but won't root for another team.

Each year Dan is losing , a little bit more of the fan base. Eventually,  their maybe only a couple of thousand fans left.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

You do realize that death is inevitable and can be prepared for literally years in advance, right?  PR departments, like news outlets and newspapers, have obituaries written "just in case" that they update periodically.  It's NOT something you do after the person dies if your organization has the slightest bit of competence.

Do you know how hard it is to make a video celebrating his career and life?  It's not.  Any teenager could make a pretty good quality one in a couple of hours.  The fact that they were somehow caught off guard with this is the equivalent of a player forgetting their cup.  It's something so basic, so easy to prepare for, and has such a big impact when its absence is noted.

This isn't "finding a thing to **** about", this is remedial PR.

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

30 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

This isn't "finding a thing to **** about", this is remedial PR.

No, it’s 100% finding something to complain about. That’s 100% what you all are doing. “They didn’t respect him in the way I wanted to, wah wah wahhhhh whine whine whineeeeee moan moan moannnnn”. it’s ridiculous. But complaining is all anyone here knows, so even when something as small and minuscule as this happens, people go right to what they do best: complain. 

just makes me laugh. 

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I am still a fan, but reach a point of not caring each season. While I had the game on, I wasn't paying attention early on. Missed the Chase injury.

I already don't expect much from a Synder owned team, but won't root for another team.

Each year Dan is losing , a little bit more of the fan base. Eventually,  their maybe only a couple of thousand fans left.

I was where you were a few years ago. Now I'm lost as a fan. I don't root for any team...I just watch the NFL and just enjoy the league week in and week out. I think there are now very few passionate fans left. And I think most of the passionate fans that still do exist are almost only there more out of defiance to those who have left, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

No, it’s 100% finding something to complain about. That’s 100% what you all are doing. “They didn’t respect him in the way I wanted to, wah wah wahhhhh whine whine whineeeeee moan moan moannnnn”. it’s ridiculous. But complaining is all anyone here knows, so even when something as small and minuscule as this happens, people go right to what they do best: complain. 

just makes me laugh. 

I think you're being a little too critical of those who wanted a legendary announcer...someone who was part of the soundtrack of the golden age of Redskin football...to have an appropriate tribute. This wasn't some horrible thing by the team, they've done MUCH worse. But they missed an opportunity to honor someone the way the best organizations in the league would have. Why do you need to mock that opinion? 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

just makes me laugh. 

While I agree with your general sentiment that it seems that all people want to do is ****, perhaps you can allow that maybe the team should've done more than they did. Of course, I'm so checked out that I don't even know what the organization did to recognize Sam on social media, at the game, etc.

Its just another reminder of how amateurish the organization can be. When I was still going to games, they would show these "Great Moments in Redskins History" videos, and I remember one they showed of the playoff game against the Vikings following the 1992 season. The narration is mentioning Brian Mitchell navigating his way on the frozen RFK tundra, when the video I'm watching is a game played in the Metrodome.  How difficult was that to get right?

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I was where you were a few years ago. Now I'm lost as a fan. I don't root for any team...I just watch the NFL and just enjoy the league week in and week out. I think there are now very few passionate fans left. And I think most of the passionate fans that still do exist are almost only there more out of defiance to those who have left, if that makes sense. 

My investment in the league consists of watching the Skins for three hours a week and that's pretty much it. While this jackass owner's tenure has seriously dampened my enthusiasm to probably your level, I can't say the league in general has exactly done wonders to pique my interest either. I did catch a few of the highlights they were showing on the NBC pregame Sunday and when I see BS roughing calls like what happened in the Saints-Titans game, it reaffirms that I'm glad I don't take this sport that seriously anymore.

• Like 1

Seems mostly accurate, and not that it makes that much difference, but I don't think Fed Ex holds 82,000. 

If you look at pictures from when Fed Ex held @ 92,000, and then look at a recent picture, there's no way they only removed 10,000 seats. No way.

And the picture I saw didn't have port a pottys behind a Sean Taylor Rd sign. The sign said Sean Taylor Rd ----- ( this way ) with an arrow. I assume pointing to Sean Taylor Rd.

4 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Seems mostly accurate, and not that it makes that much difference, but I don't think Fed Ex holds 82,000. 

If you look at pictures from when Fed Ex held @ 92,000, and then look at a recent picture, there's no way they only removed 10,000 seats. No way.

Mike Phillips of the Richmond Times Dispatch had the capacity at like 67.6K in a recent article. I'm not sure where he got his number from, but it doesn't seem far from reality.

A lot of people who quote the capacity seem to still use ESPN's charts, which still have us at 82k. I think ESPN still carried us at 92K for several years even after they started to yank seats in 2010-11.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Getting back to the article above and the attendance...imagine what it would be this year if the team didn't have the slate of home games that is does this year? Imagine what a slate of home games from another division like the AFC south would look like for Dan.

It's an interesting discussion. All of the home games so far seem to have been stuck in the low 50K range, whether it's been for lower profile opponents like the Chargers or Brees-less Saints, or for the higher profile ones like KC, Tampa, or the Giants. The only game that's going to approach capacity will be the Cowboys.

People are only going to want to pay so much to watch this product. It'll be interesting to see what the supposed lowering of prices of some seats (reported last week) may have next season. And isn't next year our turn to play the AFCS?

• Like 1

I think they could have treated Darrell Green better and after he retired he could have been a good coach of the Secondary instead of the stiffs we have hired over the last

ten years.  Green should be honored by the team and if he is already in the Ring of Honor then find another way to celebrate his achievements.  As far as the team sinking into

oblivion every since Snyder took over it has been a steady decline.   He enjoys owning the team because it is a cash cow for him.  The tv revenue keeps his yacht in good

working order each year.

• Like 1

When we are out of it, I am going to root for a team that hasn't won it all yet.  This year, it will be the Bills.  I would like to see every team win at least one title.  My best memory of being a Skins fan, was 1991. I lived in Falls Church that year; so I got to see the local team win it all. Loved walking down the street to the Skins Superbowl store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

When we are out of it, I am going to root for a team that hasn't won it all yet.  This year, it will be the Bills.  I would like to see every team win at least one title.  My best memory of being a Skins fan, was 1991. I lived in Falls Church that year; so I got to see the local team win it all. Loved walking down the street to the Skins Superbowl store.

Off the top of my head, reams who’ve never won a SB:

Bills

Chargers

Lions

Cardinals

Jags

Titans

Texans

Bengals

Browns

Vikings

Panthers

Falcons

Is that the list of never have won?  

I think if that’s the list the only 3 who have a chance this year are the Bills, Titans and Cards.  

Eh, I’m not sure who I would root for.  I kindof like seeing the Bills Mafia get their hearts broken in the playoffs.  They are one of the more annoying fan bases. Arrogant without any real reason to be so.

I would root for McVay or LaFleur. And McVay over LaFleur