Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Just now, Florgon79 said:

Sometimes it feels like they blame the fans not showing up for not winning double digit games. 

SOMETIMES? Try *all* time. 

my guess is fans will come back when/if  they see this team winning consistently for two years in a row (and i dont mean 9-7 and 8-7-1) and AT LEAST 2 playoff wins. Heck, we might even pull in new fans and start slowly rebuilding the fanbase. 

that’s my hope anyway....

It really is amazing what Snyder (and to a smaller degree, Cooke for a few years before his death) has been able to do. If you would have told me in the days following the playoff loss in San Francisco in January of 1993 that nearly 30 years later:

- That's still the closest the Redskins would have come to sniffing a championship

- The team would slowly fade from the top of the NFL mountain not only in terms of success but in terms of reputation

- The team would also drop behind hockey (WHAT) and baseball (hold up...WHAT) in terms of local popularity

- The team would be forced to abandon its name

- The team would be more adversarial than supportive with most of the local population

I'd have laughed in your face. 

But here we are. I am sure things can improve. But I really don't know how you ever get back to the height of where things were in the late-80s or early-90s. That took decades of multiple generations building up good will to produce. I just don't see it. You would almost need this team to move away and several years to go by for the area to feel starved for football to generate those feelings again. I don't know. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Attendance will come back when we start winning. Now it's just mostly fans of other teams being almost guaranteed to go see their team win.

And when the star players - looking at you Young - play like stars. Making the impact plays that shift outcomes. 

We want to see greatness. Show me the great right now. All I see is McLaurin, Allen, and Curl. Short list for a big roster. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

They should focus on winning 10 or 11+ games a year consistently first and then see how the attendance looks. 

Will never happen under Snyder. The team structurally can't be successful under Snyder. Rivera will ultimately fail and be fired. Accept reality.  You want consistent winning football, root for the Ravens. 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

SOMETIMES? Try *all* time. 

my guess is fans will come back when/if  they see this team winning consistently for two years in a row (and i dont mean 9-7 and 8-7-1) and AT LEAST 2 playoff wins. Heck, we might even pull in new fans and start slowly rebuilding the fanbase. 

that’s my hope anyway....

Agreed. If you build it, they will come. Build a winning team, and the fans will come to the stadium. I will say that drafting a QB in the first round might be enough juice to get it kick started but the caveat still has to be winning on the field. 

35 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Will never happen under Snyder. The team structurally can't be successful under Snyder. Rivera will ultimately fail and be fired. Accept reality.  You want consistent winning football, root for the Ravens. 

? Where did i claim it will happen? Show me. If you can, I’ll owe you a free drink of your choice. OHHH WAIT. It’s not there? Color me shocked!!! 

I said they should FOCUS ON that goal. That doesn’t at all mean it’ll happen, genius. 

and no, I’m never rooting for the ravens. **** that. I’ll drown myself in alcohol before i ever do that. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This is true, and explains why some teams (Lions, Jets, Browns, Jags) continue to stink for DECADES...unless massive changes are made. It happened with this team before from 1946-70...25 years in the wilderness with only 4 winning seasons and no playoffs, due mostly in part to George Preston Marshall's racism and tight wallet. Marshall also made most of his draft picks after buying a copy of Street & Smiths, too. Snyder clearly isn't much better with his RG III and coming-off-the-yacht-to-overrule-the-coach pick in Haskins.

Teams mismanaged like this may occasionally get into the playoffs and make a run (2017 Jaguars), but quickly fade back to their losing ways. And the jury is still out on the Bengals and Browns this year. The Colts would have been in that list of ineptitude if they hadn't drafted Peyton Manning in 1998 and Andrew Luck in 2012.

And speaking of Haskins...from last Sunday:

The NFL insider tweeted on Monday that Haskins — who entered Sunday’s Lions game as the backup to Mason Rudolph with Ben Roethlisberger on the COVID-19/reserve list — spent the warmup period “throwing lousy passes and checking his phone,” leading to derision from his coaches.

However, some questioned whether Kinkhabwala’s reporting was fair. Ex-NFL player and current Fox Sports analyst Bucky Brooks suggested it was possible Haskins was picking music to “help find [his] ‘zone'” before the game.

Kinkhabwala, however, shut down those suggestions.

“It’s of course possible, Bucky,” she tweeted. “But it just so happens I was standing next to multiple members of the team’s staff who were pointing out his lack of focus, his sub-par warm-up passes and their disappointment in his maturation. That’s why I tried to illustrate: he’s not the savior.”

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

We are probably a few years away from rock bottom but its slowly coming into view.  Congress/Wilkinson Report may be the ultimatum on Dan on if he stays or goes.  If he stays rock bottom will only happen when he Jack Kent Cooke's himself and lets the team be run by professionals. If he goes, the next ownership group just can't do any worse.  We lost our coveted Thanksgiving marketing niche.  Our freaking stadium is overrun by out of state fans so it can't get much worse. Imagine if we were in an international league - fans from other countries would come here in droves singing their glorious songs that we don't understand amid more demoralizing defeats.

Edited by RandyHolt

23 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Wright claiming attendance is not really down. It's just being measured differently.

Talked about improvements to the stadium.

Said they " royally F'd  up " the Taylor thing.

Said the rebrand will connect with the history.

To paraphrase Spinal Tap: they're not less popular, their appeal is just becoming more selective.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

We are probably a few years away from rock bottom but its slowly coming into view.  Congress/Wilkinson Report may be the ultimatum on Dan on if he stays or goes.  If he stays rock bottom will only happen when he Jack Kent Cooke's himself and lets the team be run by professionals. If he goes, the next ownership group just can't do any worse.  We lost our coveted Thanksgiving marketing niche.  Our freaking stadium is overrun by out of state fans so it can't get much worse. Imagine if we were in an international league - fans from other countries would come here in droves singing their glorious songs that we don't understand amid more demoralizing defeats.

This isn't rock bottom? It sure feels like we can't get much lower. But this team never ceases to amaze me when it comes to disappointing me. 

14 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

This isn't rock bottom? It sure feels like we can't get much lower. But this team never ceases to amaze me when it comes to disappointing me. 

I mistakenly thought we hit rock bottom every year for probably the past 6.  And a few times within each given year. Now Chase couldn't sack a lunch and then got injured and is out for the season. Dan is still here. QB search for a guy that doesn't exist goes on forever. We have stud DLs via top picks across the board and have the worst D. Now Congress is getting involved - maybe a glimmer of hope there?  This is just the 2021 version of our ongoing potential rock bottom saga.

Edited by RandyHolt

I listened to Jason Wright's interview.  I thought he was good.  IMO smart dude and likeable.  Not something I am used to coming from the FO -- only other was Lafemina.  So count me in the group that likes that he's here and do not want to chase away what I feel is a unicorn for this franchise.    Our franchise is typically run by dudes who come off slimy, oddly patronizing and incompetent with "meh" resumes. 

I am a sucker for a dude who owns up his mistakes.  I am pretty good at my job, i've won national awards among other things but I've messed up from time to time.  If you got enough irons in the fire it comes with the turf.  All major coaches and executives have done some dumb things.  But I am not a throw the baby out with the bathwater type.  I have employees that work for me, I am a big fan of people that own up to mistakes.  Most people from my experience can't own up to mistakes and instead get naturally defensive. 

They will blame mistakes on circumstance or blame others for it.  So I admire people who can volunteer that they made a mistake without giving excuses for it.  The main reason for it is they tend to learn from their mistakes -- dudes like Dan for example constantly repeat them because in his mind its never his fault.  So Jason taking the heat which he did after it happened and did it again in that interview, I liked to see.  Not that the mistake bothered me that much -- stuff happens -- but I am really into seeing how people react to their mistakes.  Ironically, I listened to Rivera talk about interviewing college prospects and one of the things he would do is go over a mistake that they did and see how they'd respond to it.  And the players who took ownership of their mistake scored points with him. 

But the bigger issue for me is considering I've been to my share of stadiums and I've been to RFK and been to Fedex plenty of times, I want someone who gets stadiums.  And Jason comes off Rock Star level aware of the nuances of what works and what doesn't.  Or at a minimum, he has some awareness.  I talked about this years back but I once sent an email to Lafemina and he responded to me saying lets talk on the phone.  I talked to him for 15 minutes and it was super cool.   Jason to me is cut from a similar cloth.   He gets deep when he talks about what he's looking for as to the stadium.  When Bruce talked about it, he was vague as heck.  And as I pointed out years back, I didn't think he was going about getting the stadium in a smart way based on what narrative was out there.   I think Bruce and Dan while relatively young compared to most owners are like 100 years old as for being up with the times.  Jason on the other hand comes off with it. 

I like to hit hard that Jason doesn't work for us.  He works for Dan.  Some have debated this point on nuance.  I have some personal sympathy to Jason on that front.  I've worked on taxpayer dime which is much closer to working for the public than anything Jason is doing. Yet, even in that context my boss was the dude who was responsible for ensuring I am employed or not employed.  I've worked for bosses who aren't that popular but I had to have their back among other things.  And in short, I think its easy to judge someone else when you aren't walking in their shoes.    But when your family is relying on your paycheck -- your loyalty is by a mile to the dude or woman who signs your paycheck.  They are the ones judging your work on a daily basis.  And part of your job is have their back.   

I understand Jason's job is different in that his job for Dan is to make the fan experience better.  But still, we can't hire or fire Jason.   Like I said in another post, a cook is trying to please his customers eating his meals.  Yet, the customers aren't signing the cook's paycheck.  The owner is.  The owner is interacting with the cook frequently, not name that random customer. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

Ironic Wright makes an appearance after we beat the Bucs and people are riding a high. I’ve lost a lot of respect for him the last few weeks.

I’m with you here. Loved the hire. Last month, I mean he’s made almost inexcusable errors of judgment. We do all make mistakes. Some more acceptable than others. Difficult road back. Still, we’ve had worse.....

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

Ironic Wright makes an appearance after we beat the Bucs and people are riding a high. I’ve lost a lot of respect for him the last few weeks.

The timing is definitely not a coincidence. His list of excuses why the Sean Taylor ceremony was botched… it could have waited. The whole jersey retirement could have waited. It really did reek of a distraction and he went along for the ride… then hid until a big win came along. His grace period is over. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

i've won national awards among other things

Well I've got my drawings put on the fridge a couple of times.... so there...

It also hurts that a lot of the things he does is not for the public eye. He said from day one that if he does his job right we wont hear jack about the new stadium as it is not something to be spoken about in public at this stage. Before Wright we were hearing about possible locations, moats and whatnot but since Wright stepped in, nada.

I think Rivera has done a good job preventing leaks on the scale we were accustomed to on the football side since since his tenure began, and Wright seems to be having a similar effect on the operations side. It feels weird knowing less about a lot of things, but that is kinda how it should be.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to Jason Wright's interview.  I thought he was good.  IMO smart dude and likeable.  Not something I am used to coming from the FO -- only other was Lafemina.  So count me in the group that likes that he's here and do not want to chase away what I feel is a unicorn for this franchise.    Our franchise is typically run by dudes who come off slimy, oddly patronizing and incompetent with "meh" resumes. 

I am a sucker for a dude who owns up his mistakes.  I am pretty good at my job, i've won national awards among other things but I've messed up from time to time.  If you got enough irons in the fire it comes with the turf.  All major coaches and executives have done some dumb things.  But I am not a throw the baby out with the bathwater type.  I have employees that work for me, I am a big fan of people that own up to mistakes.  Most people from my experience can't own up to mistakes and instead get naturally defensive. 

They will blame mistakes on circumstance or blame others for it.  So I admire people who can volunteer that they made a mistake without giving excuses for it.  The main reason for it is they tend to learn from their mistakes -- dudes like Dan for example constantly repeat them because in his mind its never his fault.  So Jason taking the heat which he did after it happened and did it again in that interview, I liked to see.  Not that the mistake bothered me that much -- stuff happens -- but I am really into seeing how people react to their mistakes.  Ironically, I listened to Rivera talk about interviewing college prospects and one of the things he would do is go over a mistake that they did and see how they'd respond to it.  And the players who took ownership of their mistake scored points with him. 

But the bigger issue for me is considering I've been to my share of stadiums and I've been to RFK and been to Fedex plenty of times, I want someone who gets stadiums.  And Jason comes off Rock Star level aware of the nuances of what works and what doesn't.  Or at a minimum, he has some awareness.  I talked about this years back but I once sent an email to Lafemina and he responded to me saying lets talk on the phone.  I talked to him for 15 minutes and it was super cool.   Jason to me is cut from a similar cloth.   He gets deep when he talks about what he's looking for as to the stadium.  When Bruce talked about it, he was vague as heck.  And as I pointed out years back, I didn't think he was going about getting the stadium in a smart way based on what narrative was out there.   I think Bruce and Dan while relatively young compared to most owners are like 100 years old as for being up with the times.  Jason on the other hand comes off with it. 

I like to hit hard that Jason doesn't work for us.  He works for Dan.  Some have debated this point on nuance.  I have some personal sympathy to Jason on that front.  I've worked on taxpayer dime which is much closer to working for the public than anything Jason is doing. Yet, even in that context my boss was the dude who was responsible for ensuring I am employed or not employed.  I've worked for bosses who aren't that popular but I had to have their back among other things.  And in short, I think its easy to judge someone else when you aren't walking in their shoes.    But when your family is relying on your paycheck -- your loyalty is by a mile to the dude or woman who signs your paycheck.  They are the ones judging your work on a daily basis.  And part of your job is have their back.   

I understand Jason's job is different in that his job for Dan is to make the fan experience better.  But still, we can't hire or fire Jason.   Like I said in another post, a cook is trying to please his customers eating his meals.  Yet, the customers aren't signing the cook's paycheck.  The owner is.  The owner is interacting with the cook frequently, not name that random customer. 

Owning mistakes includes admitting his lies. He lied to the fans then doubled down on the lie. He’s worthless and needs to be gone. There is no coming back from it. 

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Well I've got my drawings put on the fridge a couple of times.... so there...

It also hurts that a lot of the things he does is not for the public eye. He said from day one that if he does his job right we wont hear jack about the new stadium as it is not something to be spoken about in public at this stage. Before Wright we were hearing about possible locations, moats and whatnot but since Wright stepped in, nada.

I think Rivera has done a good job preventing leaks on the scale we were accustomed to on the football side since since his tenure began, and Wright seems to be having a similar effect on the operations side. It feels weird knowing less about a lot of things, but that is kinda how it should be.

He hasn't given any clues as for their progress as to the location of the stadium.   He's explained why he won't give the blow by blow leading up to it.   And he's smart not to. 

I have a little experience working on PR for a friend of mine who worked on stadium issues.  i am far from an expert on it.  But I know someone who knows a lot about the process.  I've talked about it before on different threads.  I don't feel like repeating it here.  But in short, leaking things about progress or lack of progress on this is a loser strategy.   Their best shot to get this IMO in today's political environment is to lay low in part because you don't want to give an easy window for opposition to it.    And yeah typically these days there is a counter to this.    So you want it to be so far down the rabbit hole when it comes out that the potential opposition doesn't have time to mobilize.  

I've heard Wright talk though enough about the stadium to know he gets what makes the new stadiums special.  that's enough for me for now.  He comes off a mile smarter to me than Bruce.  It's not close.

I was probably the loudest critic of Bruce Allen when he was here.   I was probably one of the loudest critics of Vinny back in the day.  i am not an easy sell.  Jason Wright to me isn't perfect, no one is, but he comes off likeable and smart, and a mile different than the other clowns we've had here.   So I am not in the camp of wanting this guy gone so Dan can go back to the jesters he seems to prefer for that spot. 

• Like 1

The only way I can see Jason Wright's comments are accurate is he is comparing this year with last season and an empty stadium. Otherwise his comment is insulting. 

So anyway what is happening with Congress and the investigation? Last I heard the NFL failed to meet the deadline that was weeks ago.  Suddenly the story is losing momentum, just as the team and the league had hoped.    

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The only way I can see Jason Wright's comments are accurate is he is comparing this year with last season and an empty stadium. Otherwise his comment is insulting. 

Not if you go with Rick Snider's tweets from attending games over the years.   He would say just about every game the actual attendnace was about 10-15,000 less give or take from what they announced.

Some dude once explained why the attendance announced didn't meet what you physically saw at the games if I recall it was that the team would dump tickets cheap to secondary brokers and then would count those tickets as sales whether the secondary brokers sold them or not.

I've been to at least a game a season forever, usually two games, and the attendance has clearly whittled down to pathetic numbers.   It's not just this season where its really bad.   They couldn't even get a good crowd to the Texas game in 2018 where both teams had winning records. 

Lafemina was the first to bring up being transparent about ticket sales for a change including admitting that the waiting list that they were still trying to sell that existed at the time wasn't real.  He also from what I read wanted to put a stop to dumping a ton of tickets on the secondary market.  It came out later than Dan-Bruce weren't fond of that transparency from him.  

The thing with Wright is that YES… he does work for Snyder and not the fanbase. And that crucial distinction isn’t lost on me.

He has an awful job and I’ll repeat something I said a few months ago. I will never fault the man for doing what he has to do to remain gainfully employed, collecting his paycheck and putting food on the table.

So my statements on him aren’t against him

as a man. I don’t believe he’s useless. Nor do I believe he’s bad at his job.

My issue is simple: he was all about fan transparency. So much so he did a weekly blog about a lot of frivolous, meaningless stuff. Which despite its sometimes boring nature was an absolute breath of fresh air. This is a step he took on his own in his role. This was not a prior duty of the job function because our people in that role previously barely said boo to the fanbase. 

He decided it was best to put himself out there and it was fantastic. 

The moment he got backlash for his absolute horrendous handling of the ST retirement (which I firmly believe he is simply acting as the fall guy for so he can keep his income stream and not have the blame fall at the boss’ feet, which IS something I respect as a man) he stopped doing all the things we loved about him and thought we’re different. 

So much so I hat he went TOTALLY radio silent for weeks. He only resurfaced when the team upset the defending Super Bowl champions. That is t a coincidence.

My respect for Wright dropping is NOT against him as a man or a provider or his capability at performing the job the Snyder’s want him to.

Its because he set a bar and not only has it lowered… it’s fallen off the stand altogether by choices he made as far as transparency goes. 

I don’t want him to be fired. I don’t think he has much of a choice. It’s just so disappointing that he started in a way that made it seem as if things were changing and we’ve gone right back to: “This position protects the Snyder’s”.

• Like 1