Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

19 hours ago, method man said:

JLC emphasizing again that he doesn’t expect Kyle Smith to get the GM job and that they may retain him as VP of player personnel w a boss if he is up for that. He thinks Rick Smith is the lead candidate. 

I think Rick is a solid exec with a track record but I don’t like that he has built a rapport with Snyder. I don’t want another middleman in the FO

I listened to that segment.  JLC though seemed to suggest he's riding on that mostly because Dan talked him last season and was interested then.  The thing is that was pre Rivera.  So I got my doubts its him.

My top choices/hopes would be Kyle Smith or Joe Schoen. 

On another note, Chris Russell hinted at this yesterday on 106.7 and then doubled down in a bigger way today on 980.  

His sense from talking to people about the investigation:

A.  it's almost done but they might wait until after the season to disclose

B. he thinks Dan has a good shot to be suspended but will unlikely be removed

C. he thinks a heavy fine in play, possible draft choice losses but he thinks that's less likely

If so that would have some irony.  I like to compare Snyder to Steinbrenner.  Steinbrenner was suspended for a time.  Arrguably that time period saved the Yankees because they did a proper rebuild, kept their young prospects and it helped set up their late 1990s run.   Steinbrenner arguably was never the same after that.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to that segment.  JLC though seemed to suggest he's riding on that mostly because Dan talked him last season and was interested then.  The thing is that was pre Rivera.  So I got my doubts its him.

My top choices/hopes would be Kyle Smith or Joe Schoen. 

On another note, Chris Russell hinted at this yesterday on 106.7 and then doubled down in a bigger way today on 980.  

His sense from talking to people about the investigation:

A.  it's almost done but they might wait until after the season to disclose

B. he thinks Dan has a good shot to be suspended but will unlikely be removed

C. he thinks a heavy fine in play, possible draft choice losses but he thinks that's less likely

If so that would have some irony.  I like to compare Snyder to Steinbrenner.  Steinbrenner was suspended for a time.  Arrguably that time period saved the Yankees because they did a proper rebuild, kept their young prospects and it helped set up their late 1990s run.   Steinbrenner arguably was never the same after that.  

That's true. He did seem definitive in saying that Rivera wanted someone with more experience than Kyle Smith with running a front office. 

• Like 1

A lot of talk lately about Kyle Smith and the GM job. For me, I'm good with the current structure. It's actually the best way to keep the coach centric approach IMO. But for the sake of keeping Kyle on board, I'd give him the title but keep his duties the same. You already have Rob Rogers (who came over with Ron) working contract negotiations and salary cap stuff. I don't think we need one guy dealing with the media, reporting to the business side and negotiating contracts while trying to hone in on the best players in the draft or finding a FA that fits. That was Bruce. We don't need that **** at all. Give him the title. but don't break what (I believe) we have going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keim about Kyle Smith on his podcast

A.  Rivera and Kyle get along well

B.  He doesn't give the imprtession that kyle would be out of the running

C.  A GM isn't just about running personnel there is a heavy adminstrative and player relations component to it, Kyle might be a bit raw on the nonpersonnel front and Rivera has stepped in and performed some of that role but likely wants to take that off his plate

D. Rivera might like the idea of having an experienced GM mentor Kyle

E.  Dan loves Kyle and knows there might be backlash if he leaves

F.  Might be a risk if Kyle isn't elevated for him to take a job elsewhere

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C.  A GM isn't just about running personnel there is a heavy adminstrative and player relations component to it, Kyle might be a bit raw on the nonpersonnel front and Rivera has stepped in and performed some of that role but likely wants to take that off his plate

Doesn’t Ron have Rob Rogers for this? I’ve been told by someone in the know that Ron leans on Rob as his right hand man

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

F.  Might be a risk of Kyle isn't elevated for him to take a job elsewhere

This is interesting because it seems to directly go against what Chris Russell has been saying on 980. Now I've told you in the past that I'm not the biggest fan of Russell and he seems to blur the line when he's talking between his opinion and his reporting. I think this was his opinion said in talking to both Sheehan and to Galdi (on different days). 

But the question also becomes does another team think Kyle is ready to be a GM. I like him but I'm not in love with him. Who else could do that job? I don't know but if the former GM of Houston comes here I'd be a fan of it. But if not, then it becomes us possibly creating a hole where we don't have one. 

14 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is interesting because it seems to directly go against what Chris Russell has been saying on 980. Now I've told you in the past that I'm not the biggest fan of Russell and he seems to blur the line when he's talking between his opinion and his reporting. I think this was his opinion said in talking to both Sheehan and to Galdi (on different days). 

But the question also becomes does another team think Kyle is ready to be a GM. I like him but I'm not in love with him. Who else could do that job? I don't know but if the former GM of Houston comes here I'd be a fan of it. But if not, then it becomes us possibly creating a hole where we don't have one. 

I've listened to Russell but he's been somewhat all over the place on this.  But he's thought for awhile (years actually) that Kyle Smith would leave for the simple reason that some other team would offer him the GM spot or a promotion.  I've heard another beat guy say (and I am forgetting whom) that Kyle and Rivera were super close during the off season.

By and large Russell has been right about a lot of FO dynamics.  But even he admits some of his scoop is partly speculation based on tidbits so he infuses his own opinion into the mix to extrapolate from those tidbits which he admitted he's done about the dynamic with Kyle Smith. 

Keim said Kyle isn't a self promoter.  He doesn't have an agent and doesn't mess with the media so that's put him under the radar.  He said some GM prospects on occasion can be plugged by media types in part as a return favor to agents who help them with stories. But Kyle wouldn't fit that category.  But the WFT run of success this year might put him on the radar of more teams. 

As for the GM does more than shop for the groceries.  I've heard multiple people say that but I don't have a feel for the other stuff they do.  Keim talked about them being often the ones interjecting with players who need guidance at certain junctures, etc. 

My preference would be Kyle Smith but if I had to pick another one it would be Joe Schoen. 

• Like 1

My preference would be Kyle Smith but if I had to pick another one it would be Joe Schoen. 

It'd be interesting to get a list together of candidates. I like what Kyle Smith is doing but Galdi points out how Ron is not praising Kyle, like at all - even when reporters ask him a question like can you talk about Kyle Smith and his role in picking players. Ron goes in and discusses coaches and their strategy and sounds like Gruden when he talks about getting on the same page or resolving conflicts. 

That said, I like what they did with the offseason. I'm still not a fan of signing guys in their upper 20s but if they can provide stability at LT, LG, TE, RB, and LB for 2-3 years then I guess its a better approach (getting a semi-known commodity who after this year is a known commodity) vs simply hoping to get lucky with the draft or a rookie / late pick up. 

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

It'd be interesting to get a list together of candidates. I like what Kyle Smith is doing but Galdi points out how Ron is not praising Kyle, like at all - even when reporters ask him a question like can you talk about Kyle Smith and his role in picking players. Ron goes in and discusses coaches and their strategy and sounds like Gruden when he talks about getting on the same page or resolving conflicts. 

That said, I like what they did with the offseason. I'm still not a fan of signing guys in their upper 20s but if they can provide stability at LT, LG, TE, RB, and LB for 2-3 years then I guess its a better approach (getting a semi-known commodity who after this year is a known commodity) vs simply hoping to get lucky with the draft or a rookie / late pick up. 

Either Hogs Heaven or Riggo Rag (forgot which one I read it in) did a good dissection of Rivera's comments about the FO and Kyle.  And they did a nice job of parsing the comments and saying they all flow together as for Rivera touting the process in a teamwork way over any individual because that's how he rolls but there were sprinkles of complements in that mix. 

I trust Keim the most and he flat out said he hears the two of them get along well. 

As for never signing players in the upper 20s, as I've told you before, you will hate every GM on the planet because none of them for what i can tell agree with you purist all young approach. 

Either Hogs Heaven or Riggo Rag (forgot which one I read it in) did a good dissection of Rivera's comments about the FO and Kyle.  And they did a nice job of parsing the comments and saying they all flow together as for Rivera touting the process in a teammwork way over any individual because that's how he roles but there was sprinkles of complements in that mix. 

I trust Keim the most and he flat out said he hears the two of them get along well. 

As for never signing players in the upper 20s, as I've told you before, you will hate every GM on the planet because none of them for what i can tell agree with you purist all young approach. 

I agree with you on all fronts here. I trust Keim most and I'm glad he cleared this up. I read that article on HogsHaven and it did make me feel a little better, but lets be real - its basically fan generated content that is on par with something a homer like me could write here. I doubt they have the insider info that a Keim could have. Even when Galdi was doing these segments, I was like "well that's one way to take it but it could also mean ...", but I do this with everything. I was doing it with the Haskins comments after weeks 3 and 4. 

I'm just not a fan of FAs. I like the approach we took in terms of value signings (another thing I liked about Bruce) because they offer more reward for the risks. But unlike Bruce, we seem to have hit on these signings. The question becomes for how long. Honestly, I'm not as mad about the signings as I am about not giving Baugh or the other TEs a chance. Why is Sprinkle still getting so many snaps at TE? Why didn't we sign a young RB especially after injured dude (Guice) left. I'm really not a fan of Barber. 

I feel like most coaches will go the experienced vet route and play them in spite of their rookies and I was excited to see Ron not sign Thomas and not sign the FS from Carolina but instead give the young guys a try. Same goes for guys like Cam Sims at WR and Settle at DL. I like that philosophy from Ron and hopefully it continues. 

People are talking about making a splash in FA next year and I'm not opposed to signing a younger 20s guy in FA but he'd be costly and unless its a dynamic guy I don't see the benefit (Juju being somebody I'm not a fan of getting, Allen Robinson is older but I think he'd be worth the money he'd demand).

But he's building a clubhouse based on competition and rewards which is exactly the opposite of what's been here for a long time, even during Bruce's time. Remember Carlos Rogers going off about how he wouldn't be here because Washington doesn't sign their own players, instead they go after the hot names and the result is that we had guys looking for FA money. I think that's changed but I don't like that we signed Collins because he got a big deal that he never lived up to. Truth is that these top FAs sign deals that are so difficult to live up to that without a SB or a MVP type season we're going to be disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, Panninho said:

First of all it seems stupid to write something like that via text but I also don't really get why Snyder's attorneys would disclose this if that threat was serious. That seems like a very dangerous game.

I’m now a John Moag fan after reading that text. Feels nice seeing people talk to Dan like that

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems like Kyle could appreciate the opportunity to learn the non-scouting parts of being a GM under an experienced mentor. 

One thing I've learned in my career is that sooner is not always better. You always want to grow and move forward, yes, but sometimes getting a chance to cook a little longer pays dividends when you do make the next jump.

Also, even if Kyle isn't named GM he could be given a substantial pay increase to keep him here. At the end of the day, $$ talks.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Seems like Kyle could appreciate the opportunity to learn the non-scouting parts of being a GM under an experienced mentor. 

One thing I've learned in my career is that sooner is not always better. You always want to grow and move forward, yes, but sometimes getting a chance to cook a little longer pays dividends when you do make the next jump.

Also, even if Kyle isn't named GM he could be given a substantial pay increase to keep him here. At the end of the day, $$ talks.  

Kyle’s mentor is his dad, a guy who was the GM of a perennial playoff team for a decade. 

It’s weird that Scott gets a shot right away as OC but Kyle doesn’t get the GM job despite an extensive track record under his belt

John Moag, the investment attorney for the Washington Football Team's three minority partners looking to sell their shares of the team, threatened Dan Snyder with a text message that read in part "you know what I know" according to recently unsealed court documents.

The documents, posted on the Richmond Times-Dispatch, are heavily redacted to avoid impacting the sale but do show lawyers for the minority partners urging Snyder to complete a sale quickly to avoid a "detailed review of WFI's books, records, and past transactions." 

The sale, of course, has not gone quickly and his instead devolved into a messy business breakup. The court fight is just one of many issues facing Snyder off the field - the NFL is also investigating the team after a damning series of articles in the Washington Post detailing alleged sexual harassment and a toxic culture in Ashburn.

Moag's text, which was included in the filings by Snyder's attorneys, appeared to threaten to reveal unknown dirt if Snyder didn't expedite the sale.

"If you continue your game, you know what I know and what I have never spoken about," it read in part. "And you know it has nothing to do about the media [expletive] ... it's the more serious [expletive].

"If you want to get to a clean conclusion, let me know. If you want a [expletive] show, we are on for that too."

12 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

One thing I'm not clear on here. Are they threatening Snyder if he doesn't SELL or if he doesn't LET THEM sell? Feel like it's the latter, but hoping it's the former. 

Feels like the latter.  But getting it public that there is worse than what the media is talking about might help damage Dan some.  The thing is the NFL blew off the cheerleader scandal.  Now they got this.  And they have at least planted out there that there might be more serious stuff about Dan that could at one point come out.  How much crap are they willing to endure in how many layers about Dan?  At some point you'd hope the dam will break. 

• Like 2