Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Craig Hoffman is going to play that part of the presser on his show shortly.  He's going through parts of it right now.

9 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

Is that a real quote from Rivera about the 5 championships?

If so, no bueno.

They just played it. 

In context, IMO, it sounds perfectly fine.  It kind of is just more fluff but it sounds a lot worse in a tweet with no context.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m confused…..is Rivera saying “****, we’ve got 5 championships” as a way of saying we need to improve a lot? If that’s not what his point was, then I’m honestly struggling to understand his point……he can’t honestly think 5 championships (really it’s 3 Super Bowl championships….) is a reason for why this teams struggles can be excused, can he? 

also, might be a good idea to edit out the bad language in JPs tweet…..

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

32 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

ron is absolutely losing control. What lunacy to say something like this 

I'm not gonna knock him for that, he's clearly counting pre-superbowl and trying to recognize we have standards...

Just...no one does that anymore...can't imagine how much trash Packer fans would talk if they they did...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Ok. In context Rivera's "5 championships" comment is fine. It's more, "they had a tradition of winning a lot, so yeah winning is important", and not "this team has 5 championships, don't be ungrateful".

But what does that have to do with anything. Its a **** quote regardless. As a 32 year old those championships are meaningless to me. Theres no reason to mention of them

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

But what does that have to do with anything. Its a **** quote regardless. As a 32 year old those championships are meaningless to me. Theres no reason to mention of them

I think it’s just his way of trying to make the point of, yeah, this organizations had a lot of championships, so clearly there’s a lot that needs to improve to get back to winning like that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zim489 said:

The full quote was,

"This organization has 5 championships, are you kidding me? I get it, I understand how important it is to win to Zim489. We haven't won **** since before he was born; that's ****ing wild, right? We gotta win for him. He's 32 and deserves more."

• Haha 10

21 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

“Won’t happen overnight”

Year 3 lol 

15-22 record lol 

Exactly, he kept reiterating the whole "Year 3 will be when we ascend as a team" or something like that.

Now it's year 3 and the team looks somehow...worse...and now acting like it's going to another year...and another year...

Granted, don't see how he makes it out of the season but come on man. You're the coach, you have the power to make swift changes (well Dan always has his ear I am sure), and yet it's been more bad than good. 

I think he's shown more emotion in that press conference then anytime on the sideline when getting beaten out on the field. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Ok. In context Rivera's "5 championships" comment is fine. It's more, "they had a tradition of winning a lot, so yeah winning is important", and not "this team has 5 championships, don't be ungrateful".

Thank God Jason Wright didn't make that comment. It would have said "This organization has 17 championships, are you fargin' kiddin' me? The last one was in 1983, right? Anyone? Lemme check my notes. My bad. Our last championship was in 1994. That's why we put it on the crest."

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

If I got to choose, I want a clean break from Rivera completely. Another scenario that could play out, given Snyder would want to avoid paying Rivera $20M to go play golf is that he keeps him but pushes him to replace coaches on his staff, namely Turner and maybe JDR. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, method man said:

If I got to choose, I want a clean break from Rivera completely. Another scenario that could play out, given Snyder would want to avoid paying Rivera $20M to go play golf is that he keeps him but pushes him to replace coaches on his staff, namely Turner and maybe JDR. 

We never want Snyder pushing anything on the head coach, even if it’s getting rid of a coordinator we don’t like.  Nothing good ever comes from what Snyder wants.  I also don’t see him urging Ron to fire a coach with money left on his deal.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people have a problem posting things out of context. Obviously the reader understands the sensationalism and would take 30 seconds to put it in perspective.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

. . . ooooh, because of Zim489.  Makes sense now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Context is everything and this case is no different. Ron was mak,ing it celar he understands the fans have high expectations. 

@Zim489 We know you hate Ron but you not being old enough to have lived through the championships should not keep you from recognizing the context that he says he understands there are high standards. That was the point and that should resonate with anyone. 

I will commend you on finding a way to stick with the team since you did miss the golden ages. I mean that sincerely. I did live through it all going all the way back to when the team hired VInce Lombardi. And I find it harder and harder to stay involved. No home games and no merch. But I still follow this sad excuse for a franchise. But I don't plan my Sundays around games anymore. And it does not ruin my entire week when we lose anymore. 

• Like 3

I think a lot of what Rivera says there tracks and would hold plenty of water if we were some sort of complete rebuild. He didn’t say anything ridiculous in a vacuum. But we don’t exist in a vacuum, and that’s not the build he undertook. He’s slowly turned over the roster to his guys, but he didn’t do some sort of complete demolition tear-down rebuild trading vets for picks or something.

So in year three week 4 to try and retcon things and say “I mean let’s be realistic about what we have”…..my man, what you have is what you’ve built. I’m not going to always remember to put the Snyder caveats but rest assured they’re always there. I understand. You walked into a tough situation with a lot more going on behind the scenes than anyone could have guessed and are working for a guy who ties one of your hands behind your back just by existing—so failure was always more likely than even moderate success. But it’s year 3. You’ve made your own bed and now that you’re laying in it and still don’t like it you’re saying “ahh but look at this terrible bed I’m stuck with!” 

It just doesn’t really encourage sympathy, regardless of any Snyder context, when you’re the guy with final say over the roster, the coaches and schemes, etc. “Look at what we have” is not only tone deaf after three offseasons, it’s also kind of insulting to the roster he himself has built. He only has himself (and the ever-present shadow of tightwad Snyder, sure) to blame. 

It would be more understandable if we were easier to root for in other ways. If the roster was lagging in talent acquisition because of his personnel failures, but on gameday they punched other teams in the mouth, were physically overmatched but very disciplined, etc. But you see none of that. We give up before halftime with over a minute on the clock as if there’s :12 left. We commit idiotic penalties at the same rate we did when he took over. There’s much more, but this post is getting long.

What I’m saying is, the personnel on the team (“look at what we have”) is a self-inflicted wound. The lack of appropriate gameday preparation, discipline, execution is self-inflicted. Lack of grittiness and toughness is self-inflicted. And Rivera, gun in hand, is still after three years saying, “yeah but did you guys see the shooter?? These wounds are terrible!”

Yes, Snyder ruins everything at every level and every stage before the games even begin. But Rivera is no Dan Campbell, who has also not yet assembled a talented team with his GM (they have the worst defense in NFL history right now) but they fight to the damn death every. Single. Week. That’s culture change, that’s being a “leader of men” (which is thrown around a lot about Rivera but…I haven’t seen it). 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

He's not taking ownership of anything. I hate it.

Dude has complete control. Yes, we've had injuries. They've mattered more than they should because of decisions made by Ron and company. 

I wanted Wentz to work, but come on, are any of us truly surprised that Philly and Indy were right and we were wrong? Who would have thought?

Under Ron, we start slow, often get blown out, then have a meaningless late season run. And then he makes no real coaching changes -- be it the actual coaches or how he coaches. Maybe we should scrimmage another team for a change during camp? Nope -- let's just stick with what's not working.

The only reason Ron sticks around is because Danny probably doesn't want to fire anyone. Will just get more scrutiny from the league -- how many reboots should an owner who has absolutely destroyed a lucrative market get?  I doubt the other owners would vote him out, but it would increase the chance of it. 

If I'm Ron, I start thinking seriously of cutting bait with Carson. His issues seem set in stone. Move on -- sunk Cost. At least be prepared for it. Then roll with Taylor with the idea you get a look at Howell at some point if the offensive line stabilizes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, method man said:

Who you gonna bring in that WANTS to be here?