Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I'd be willing to bet that Goodell and others have had conversations with Dan about doing what's right for the sport and selling the team.

The problem is this isn't just an investment for Dan, its not even just the team he's passionate about its his precious. 

It's his power, his ability to control and intimidate those with less stature.

It's how he gets people to cower when he walks by, it's his source of fame and influence. 

Good luck getting him to give that up voluntarily, no the only way you're getting that ring out of gollums hand is to rip it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'd be willing to bet that Goodell and others have had conversations with Dan about doing what's right for the sport and selling the team.

The problem is this isn't just an investment for Dan, its not even just the team he's passionate about its his precious. 

It's how he gets people to cower when he walks by, it's his source of fame and influence. 

Good luck getting him to give that up voluntarily, no the only way you're getting that ring out of gollums hand is to rip it out.

Your profile pic goes perfectly with your post!

You are correct, Dan has zero interest in letting go of the team

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Yep that’s what I’ve implied before as well. I think it can be done, but getting Danny to sell is going to be tough. Without this - he’s basically nothing.

This new investigation in itself won't cause him to sell the team. The touching her leg under the table can't be corroborated by someone else. The limo thing will be explained away by Dan as trying to offer her a ride to her car since it was parked a distance away. This won't amount to anything.

Where it'll get interesting is if the NFL allows the investigation to expand a little further. If they talk to Tiffani, Dan's lawyer who said "Dan, Dan, this is a bad idea. A very bad idea, Dan", and the other witness (is it a guy named Jason?) and other information comes to light; then maybe there's trouble. I'm sure the league will limit the scope and focus. The most Dan gets in this case is maybe a suspension. This time a legitimate, announced suspension. The likely outcome is there's not enough here to punish. 

3 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

This new investigation in itself won't cause him to sell the team. The touching her leg under the table can't be corroborated by someone else. The limo thing will be explained away by Dan as trying to offer her a ride to her car since it was parked a distance away. This won't amount to anything.

Where it'll get interesting is if the NFL allows the investigation to expand a little further. If they talk to Tiffani, Dan's lawyer who said "Dan, Dan, this is a bad idea. A very bad idea, Dan", and the other witness (is it a guy named Jason?) and other information comes to light; then maybe there's trouble. I'm sure the league will limit the scope and focus. The most Dan gets in this case is maybe a suspension. This time a legitimate, announced suspension. The likely outcome is there's not enough here to punish. 

If Dan’s offenses boiled down to just those events, you’re right, since other owners have done worse and were never punished severely. But I think the underlying point of the investigation is that those offenses are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, and that’s what Snyder and the NFL are fearful of. If this investigation were to be blown up, everything, including email conversations like the one that exposed Jon Gruden who isn’t even directly involved with this team, would be open game.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Maybe, but if he can sell the team he will still be a billionaire. He likes to spend time on his yacht sailing the seas anyway. Maybe he buys into something else, or finds another new toy to destroy.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Yep that’s what I’ve implied before as well. I think it can be done, but getting Danny to sell is going to be tough. Without this - he’s basically nothing.

Well, he'd still be a 55 year old billionaire. I know it's his identity, but I'm sure he'll find something else to play with and destroy.

27 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, he'd still be a 55 year old billionaire. I know it's his identity, but I'm sure he'll find something else to play with and destroy.

Not just a billionaire, but he'd be a 55 year old with probably about 3.5 billion liquid cash, if not more, after he pays back all of the loans he has.  He could literally buy just about anything he wanted except a US professional sports team.  

Honest to God, I just can't see why he wouldn't take that and run. I mean, even if everything he's accused of is false, he won't be able to prove it, there's a target on his back, sell the team, take the cash, and buy a small island country and live out the rest of his days in relative peace and quiet.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I doubt that Dan really has that kind of power within the NFL. Word out there is that he's at best disliked by fellow owners. Some of them might have done worse, but to them there's more to this story than just pushing a cute girl into a limo, even if that's just the public story about it.

Other owners will start to think about what would they gain by getting Dan out instead of keeping on protecting. We're talking about an historied franchise that has been driven down in popularity, sells and tv ratings. A team that should be making as much as the Cowboys and is not doing that. Getting rid of Dan would be an opportunity to get back to normal and make much more money.

Now that won't be an easy thing, but they're getting another opportunity at it. At some point, they'll jump on it, because enough is enough. I'm still convinced that someone like Mark Davis is pulling strings in this way amongst owners because he knows the emails that went out to kill Gruden were coming from him. That would seem to fit the character and I would believe that John Mara would probably side with that. Add in the Flores situation, and that's a lot to digest for the NFL at the same time. They'll have to pick their battles.

Those answers from Gruden seemed like the NFL was starting to keep their distance from Dan. It's quite polite right now, at least publicly, but it seems to be heading in the right direction. (For us, not Dan).

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not just a billionaire, but he'd be a 55 year old with probably about 3.5 billion liquid cash, if not more, after he pays back all of the loans he has.  He could literally buy just about anything he wanted except a US professional sports team.  

Honest to God, I just can't see why he wouldn't take that and run. I mean, even if everything he's accused of is false, he won't be able to prove it, there's a target on his back, sell the team, take the cash, and buy a small island country and live out the rest of his days in relative peace and quiet.  

If billionaires were capable of doing this they wouldn’t be billionaires. You kind of need an evil insatiable appetite for wealth and influence that any normal person would not understand, as they’d have gotten out of the rat race and retired on their endless pile of money much earlier. Some are reclusive but none just sit back and relax for the rest of their lives in luxury. It’s incompatible with the greed and exploitative habits that got them where they are in the first place. 

• Like 4

The Junkies were saying this morning that Snyder was probably bullied in school, wasn't good with the ladies, and sat around playing Dungeons & Dragons all the time. (As a former D&D player, I take exception to this...most D&D players were probably bullied at some point, and all of them developed more empathy for others as a result.) My response would be that the first two are probably true, but Snyder wouldn't play D&D unless he found a way to make money from it, like charging $1 every time someone had to roll the dice in the game, or charging for chips and drinks.

Being bullied or being bad with the ladies doesn't cause someone to turn into a piece of vindictive garbage like Snyder, however. The Junks said today that an unnamed former coach of the Skins said when he took a job with another team that Snyder threw the man's nameplate in the trash, took a picture of it, and emailed it to him saying "This is what I think of you now." Sounds like the vanilla ice cream incident with Nolan...

Snyder has proven his venomous nature, and it's clear his judgment is affected by it, like with yesterday's announcement of a sham investigation. He won't give up the team though...it's the only thing that allows him to hang out with the 'cool kids.'

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The Junkies were saying this morning that Snyder was probably bullied in school, wasn't good with the ladies, and sat around playing Dungeons & Dragons all the time. (As a former D&D player, I take exception to this...most D&D players were probably bullied at some point, and all of them developed more empathy for others as a result.) My response would be that the first two are probably true, but Snyder wouldn't play D&D unless he found a way to make money from it, like charging $1 every time someone had to roll the dice in the game, or charging for chips and drinks.

Yeah,  I didn't even play it (I did read fantasy gamebooks)  and that stuff reminds me why I dislike sports fans so often  They watch grown men in tights or shorts, wear another man's name on their back, study the trivia of how many times a guy got on base, etc. then call people nerds for liking stories or settings. Nerds who master abstruse rules are usually smarter too but many nerds laid foundation for statistics in sports so whatever. 

Nerds like they describe are usually a lot more chill (or used to be, today's nerd culture is filled with normies acting like nerds) and frankly, usually lack the ambition and slimy sales persona of the type of business Snyder founded and engaged in.  

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Yeah,  I didn't even play it (I did read fantasy gamebooks)  and that stuff reminds me why I dislike sports fans so often  They watch grown men in tights or shorts, wear another man's name on their back, study the trivia of how many times a guy got on base, etc. then call people nerds for liking stories or settings. Nerds who master abstruse rules are usually smarter too but many nerds laid foundation for statistics in sports so whatever. 

Nerds like they describe are usually a lot more chill (or used to be, today's nerd culture is filled with normies acting like nerds) and frankly,  usually lack the ambition and slimy sales persona of the type of business Snyder founded and engaged in.  

My Dad is one of those baseball stat guys who can tell you which black, right-handed hitter with heterochromia has the most home runs on an odd-numbered day on a crescent moon... but don't you dare enjoy gaming or fantasy,

Don't even get me started on how many strange men QB's have their hands in on any given Sunday.... or Saturday.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I'm a former D&D player too and listen to hard rock.

Now I see myself as a Paladin type of guy that listen to hard rock.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

My Dad is one of those baseball stat guys who can tell you which black, right-handed hitter with heterochromia has the most home runs on an odd-numbered day on a crescent moon... but don't you dare enjoy gaming or fantasy,

Don't even get me started on how many strange men QB's have their hands in on any given Sunday.... or Saturday.

On one hand, I get it, the reality is a jock can also be into sports in a certain way (many of them are gamers, although they tend to like more arcadey **** like Call of Duty and sports games) and the less socially masterful kids were often into D&D. I tended to straddle worlds so I felt less excluded and welcomed people into both (nothing more proud than having a guy who doesn't play sports win a championship with you filling a role that he could fill on the team because you believed in him) but without getting into social commentary (pls no b@n!), I find a lot of the culture around sports disgusting and perhaps moreso tailored to dunderheads than it used to be, but I should be clear I feel that way about music and pop culture. The more appeal the Super Bowl accumulated, the more commercial it became and the more stupid the surrounding elements. ESPN went from showing the drama and artistry of a sport through highlights to having idiots (or people who are at least playing the loudmouth idiot) yell at each other.  

The culture has changed and sports has changed with it, and in a large sense, been diminished by it (other than revenue maybe.)

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Chances anything actually happens as result of this?

Animal House changed the way we looked at college and defined the toga  party forever. It took John Belushi … [Video] | Movie quotes, Animal house  quotes, Very funny movies

Sadly, I think you are correct.

I don't have my hopes up for Dan to be gone or truly suspended (what good is that...knowing he would be coming back eventually?  A stay of execution?) at all.  I won't let myself go there even a little bit.  I'll believe it only after it has happened.

Edited by Redwards