Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

21 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

For those expecting this get Dan to sell, are going to be diassapointed. 

Dan has to be personally involved in the sexual harassment to take him down.

We'll see. If you can connect him more to the culture of sexual harassment, that's almost as bad. If more comes from this story. Him making the exec who was a former male cheerleader PROBABLY wasn't homophobic, but if somebody said it was. I wouldn't argue against it. Key will be corporate sponsors. If they decide he is the culture and they don't want to partner in that. You have a storm getting bigger.

Unlikely but not impossible still. This new (old) hire sounds like a failure before its even begun.

Bateman has long had ties to owner Dan Snyder. He was the president of Snyder Communications' marketing services division from 1994 to '97. He also was Washington's chief marketing officer in 2006. He has worked in a similar role to the one just announced, albeit as a part-time adviser to Snyder and the team, in recent years.

In a statement, the team said Bateman would spearhead the name change and branding efforts along with Snyder. He will also oversee all of the team's marketing activities, sponsor relations, internet and broadcast media operations and overall business strategy.

"I am very excited to be joining the organization at such a critical moment in history," Bateman said in the statement.

Last week, The Washington Post detailed sexual harassment charges against multiple former employees, two of whom were fired after an internal investigation before the story ran. A third retired one day before the story appeared and two others no longer worked for the organization.

Adding Bateman provides coach Ron Rivera someone who can handle the business side while he focuses on coaching. In his first season with the team, he's had to deal with a pandemic, social justice issues, a name change and internal harassment investigations.

"Terry Bateman is a man I trust and have worked with for many years," Snyder said in a statement. "I can't think of a better individual to help spearhead this organization's marketing efforts into this new era."

Bateman called it an opportunity to provide his perspective and expertise as they work to "develop a new era for this proud franchise."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29502292/washington-nfl-team-brings-terry-bateman-oversee-name-change

53 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm not sure how pulling a victim aside, telling her he was appalled by how she was treated, and agreeing either be a witness on her behalf or connect her to a lawyer so she could sue is considered helping to "bury" the issue.

The closest thing we hsve concerning Schaffer to what you described was that other female employees said Schaffer should have reported it anyway even though Applegate said she didn't want to. But we don't know if he did report it or not because nobody with the team agreed to take part in the article and Schaffer declined as well.

Yes, I read the article as well. That didn't change my mind that he needed to go due to being a long-time Snyder man (as I said, I wanted him gone long before there was a sniff of a larger reason to clean house).

Most companies, an exec is a mandated reporter for this type of witnessed behavior. Commiserating with a victim and offering to do the right thing (when the victim has incentives not to advocate for themselves as part of the poor culture in the building) is not enough. He should have reported it and followed up, not just offered to. 

There were not many people above Schaeffer in the hierarchy in that building. So if he did report it, the odds of Bruce (and hence, Snyder) not knowing go even lower. Unless the argument is that the (singular) HR person sat on this stuff and brought it to no one's attention. 

• Like 1

The league needs to step in. It won't happen, but it's the only thing that would give me real hope. Rivera is all class and will do his best, but Washington is where you come to fail and leave with your reputation in tatters.

• Like 4

The last week has cast a new light on that Brian Lafemina situation, if you ask me.  I'm convinced that dude is a pretty relevant figure in all that's been going on.  He comes in from the league, promptly sees the place is a cesspool and peaces out.  And half the building goes with him.  Maybe he might've been one of the good ones, he comes in as a solid human being, clearly isn't a fit, and rolls out.  And then the rest of them go thinking, "he was out only hope for salvation".   A guy gets that kind of loyalty after 8 months.  It all makes more sense now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The last week has cast a new light on that Brian Lafemina situation, if you ask me.  I'm convinced that dude is a pretty relevant figure in all that's been going on.  He comes in from the league, promptly sees the place is a cesspool and peaces out.  And half the building goes with him.  Maybe he might've been one of the good ones, he comes in as a solid human being, clearly isn't a fit, and rolls out.  And then the rest of them go thinking, "he was out only hope for salvation".   A guy gets that kind of loyalty after 8 months.  It all makes more sense now.

That's exactly what happened. You know what they say, roaches can't stand the light. Lafemina was shining that light on the organization, starting with the whole "the waiting list is a lie" thing. Those roaches were getting tired of scattering, so Lafemina had to go and darkness had to fall again. Darkness and light can't coexist. One has to always overtake the other. Hopefully "light" will have its revenge in the near future. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes, I read the article as well. That didn't change my mind that he needed to go due to being a long-time Snyder man (as I said, I wanted him gone long before there was a sniff of a larger reason to clean house).

Most companies, an exec is a mandated reporter for this type of witnessed behavior. Commiserating with a victim and offering to do the right thing (when the victim has incentives not to advocate for themselves as part of the poor culture in the building) is not enough. He should have reported it and followed up, not just offered to. 

There were not many people above Schaeffer in the hierarchy in that building. So if he did report it, the odds of Bruce (and hence, Snyder) not knowing go even lower. Unless the argument is that the (singular) HR person sat on this stuff and brought it to no one's attention. 

I had a well-thought out response that was intelligent and eloquent and lengthy and no typos or nothing...then got a text that I needed to join an online meeting so I closed down the browsers and lost my response and since I really don't feel like retyping it all and probably would forget how I worded certain parts of it I'll just say instead that "I know you are but what am I? " lol...

That doesn't really apply to your post or reflect my earlier response lol, but that's life in COVID 2020...

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:48 PM, dyst said:

Sure this seems like a missed opportunity but I’m not concerned, Snyder will screw up again, he always does. It’s sort of his thing. One might say its his talent.

You were right.

This time it's rehiring crony henchman Terry Bateman who apparently is as bad as Bruce Allen, if that is even possible.

This organization dominates at finding new lows.

https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/7e3cb3f7-0e39-409d-9cac-12b22c75f093

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Except for the fact that he was fired, so I'm guessing he wanted to stay.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I had a well-thought out response that was intelligent and eloquent and lengthy and no typos or nothing...then got a text that I needed to join an online meeting so I closed down the browsers and lost my response and since I really don't feel like retyping it all and probably would forget how I worded certain parts of it I'll just say instead that "I know you are but what am I? " lol...

That doesn't really apply to your post or reflect my earlier response lol, but that's life in COVID 2020...

You're telling me I'm gonna be the first person to ever get the last word in a discussion with you and it's incidental? Damn it.

• Haha 2

Russell was just on the radio about Bateman.  He said he talked to one person who knows Bateman and Dan.  He said over the years, Dan's relied on him on and off for advice.   So he's likely going to be a business as usual type for that building. 

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Except for the fact that he was fired, so I'm guessing he wanted to stay.

Supposedly to some who were covering the story, Lafemina was poised to quit and Dan wanted to beat him to the punch.  I think if I recall it actually even made an article at the time.  I'd have to dig it up to refresh my mind.   Who knows if true but I do recall at least one reporter touting that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The best thing that could have happened to Dan is that there probably won’t be any fans in the stand to boo his incompetent piece of **** ass and the product he puts on the field. 

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when reading about the potential start of the season last night.  Because all of the allure of a new head coach, Chase Young, etc. gets diluted by more of Dan's BS.  Sadly, I gather the team is rather lucky about this as well because they are ultimately the ones that pay the price for the fans resentment towards Dan, at the stadium atleast.

This smacks of a short term 6 month hire to level things off. Or at least try to level things off.

After that, with a bit more credibility, ok that may be a reach, we’ll bring more front office staff in. More respected, and potentially more linked to Rivera’s past.

Thats my guess.

• Like 1

rereading the Lafemina stuff is sad.  😪  Was he going to quit?  Who knows.  But some smoke that it was a maybe.  If he was poised to quit though I'd presume it was partly because he likely saw his days numbered there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/31/redskins-have-faced-business-staff-exodus-since-firing-brian-lafemina/

Many of the former employees said they had been excited to work for an NFL team and enjoyed their colleagues, but they complained of low pay, a feeling that no one at the top of the organization cared about their work and a sense the franchise was not moving forward after Allen was put back in charge of both football and business.

“What I’ve learned is that every organization in the NFL is going to have its quirks, but not to the level of the ‘Skins,” one said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/26/redskins-shake-up-business-operations-ousting-brian-lefemina-three-deputies/

In some ways, Wednesday’s parting could have been anticipated from the moment Snyder pared back team President Bruce Allen’s duties to carve out a role for Lafemina. Like a monarch with two sons, Snyder in May gave Allen and Lafemina each half of the Redskins' fiefdom to rule, announcing that Allen would supervise the football side of the operation and Lafemina would supervise the business side. Each reported directly to Snyder. In the restructuring, Lafemina inherited some of Allen’s former terrain.

Patience has not been a hallmark of Snyder’s 19-year ownership. Nor has collegiality been a hallmark of Allen’s tenure, particularly when he perceives fellow executives as smart, self-directed and threats to his authority. Heading into Sunday’s season finale against Philadelphia, the Redskins have compiled a 59-83-1 record during Allen’s nine seasons in Washington.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/12/27/18157605/an-embarrassment-of-riches-dan-snyder-bruce-allen-redskins-brian-lafemina-jay-gruden-dj-swearinger

Unfortunately, Lafemina didn’t understand the Washington Redskins’ culture before he arrived in Ashburn. Lafemina is no fool, though. He had become painfully aware that he was a bad fit, and he had evidently planned to bail on the team.

Being the exceptional leaders that they are, once Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen caught wind of Lafemina’s plans, they wisely were never going to give him the satisfaction of leaving on his own terms. Thus, they preemptively fired him.

This type of reaction is what makes the Redskins’ head men such a formidable duo. They understand that it’s important to assert dominance over employees in this way in order to remind the remaining staffers—as well as the public—who wears the crown.

Mediocre leaders might care about things like “is firing someone the day after Christmas tone-deaf?” or “does this look like a craven attempt to distract fans?” or “does anybody think we know what we’re doing?,” but you won’t see any of that nonsense coming out of Redskins Park! There, leaders are sharp enough to hide behind generic “we can’t comment on personnel matters”-type statements and simply removing the fired employees’ names from the team website rather than addressing the issue substantively.

That’s the smart way to play it, as was pulling the “you-can’t-quit-because-you’re-fired” on Lafemina. His cardinal sin of transparency and honesty made it crystal clear he was never “Redskins material!”

https://thefandc.radio.com/chris-russell-redskins-ousters-brian-lafemina-other-business-executives-doube-middle-finger

"From what I was told, Dan Snyder found out that Brian Lafemina was planning on departing," said Russell. "Brian Lafemina was so upset, so angry about a number of different situations, that Brian Lafemina had basically decided this isn't working, I have to get out of here, this sucks."

"Lafemina had planned his departure on his own volition, and from what I understand, Dan found out about it. And before Lafemina could quit and ultimately make Dan look only like the bad guy, Dan and Bruce (Allen) came up with this plan of, 'We're gonna make them look bad just as well. We're gonna show them that we're the bosses, we're the sheriffs in control.'"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You're telling me I'm gonna be the first person to ever get the last word in a discussion with you and it's incidental? Damn it.

Pretty much the equivalent of Doc Holiday from Tombstone when he turned to Johnny Ringo and said "oh johnny I forgot you were there. You may go now"

• Haha 2