Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Tombstone is quite quotable.

I'm your huckleberry

I'm in my prime

Frederick F'n Chopin

He reminds me of me, now I really hate him

I am sorry Johnny, I forgot you were there, you may go now

Are we cross?

Your no daisy

I not yet begun to defile myself

My hypocrisy knows no bounds

I'm dying how are you

I have two guns, one for each of you

We started a game, we never got to finish

And many more

• Like 3

Galdi blasting Dan this morning for an issue I mention every now and then but it seems to go below the radar.

That is, Dan doesn't spend to win. He talked about how he heard from Cooley their weight room for eons was subpar.  Their cafeteria was like a school cafeteria where they were fed cheap junk food like hot dogs. Until Shanny insisted that change. 2nd rate facility.  2nd rate a lot of stuff.  Understaffed.

It goes below the radar that Dan might be the closest thing to the Bengals owner, Mike Brown.  He's a dude not willing to spend money to win.  

I used to buy that Dan just wanted to win but was too obtuse to know how to do it.  I am not so convinced now.  Either he's like Mike Brown and cares about making money and not winning so much or he's colossally dumb.  

Yeah Dan eons ago will overspend in FA.  But other than that, the dude doesn't go for the kill with his spending -- if anything its the reverse. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, justice98 said:

The last week has cast a new light on that Brian Lafemina situation, if you ask me.  I'm convinced that dude is a pretty relevant figure in all that's been going on.  He comes in from the league, promptly sees the place is a cesspool and peaces out.  And half the building goes with him.  Maybe he might've been one of the good ones, he comes in as a solid human being, clearly isn't a fit, and rolls out.  And then the rest of them go thinking, "he was out only hope for salvation".   A guy gets that kind of loyalty after 8 months.  It all makes more sense now.

Danny Boy wound up looking worse in the end, even if he thought he was doing a pre-emptive strike on LaFemina. What wound up getting out was that Brian was fired after less than a year once he told Danny why fans weren’t coming to the games. The only way this situation will improve is for “The Shield” to step in and force him to sell.

Makes me appreciate Gibbs 2.0 even more. Danny will never learn.

Edited by ntotoro

2 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Tombstone is quite quotable.

I'm your huckleberry

I'm in my prime

Frederick F'n Chopin

He reminds me of me, now I really hate him

I am sorry Johnny, I forgot you were there, you may go now

Are we cross?

Your no daisy

I not yet begun to defile myself

My hypocrisy knows no bounds

I'm dying how are you

I have two guns, one for each of you

And many more

We may get busted for getting off track but at this point I like the small diversion - so here are a few more that I like: 

Maybe Poker just isn't your game. I've got an idea, let's have a spelling contest. 

Ed, what an ugly thing to say. Does that mean are not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend, I just don't think i could bear it.  

Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave!

On the Bateman hiring. I don't know if he's a good hiring or a bad hiring. I don't know if he's good at his job or not. However, if one's goal is to radically reinvent an organization's culture, you don't do so by bringing the old gang back together.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Danny Boy wound up looking worse in the end, even if he thought he was doing a pre-emptive strike on LaFemina. What wound up getting out was that Brian was fired after less than a year once he told Danny why fans weren’t coming to the games. The only way this situation will improve is for “The Shield” to step in and force him to save.

Makes me appreciate Gibbs 2.0 even more. Danny will never learn.

I documented this back then but I sent an email to Lafemina when he was there, he responded and set up a phone call with me.  We talked for 20 minutes.  Super cool guy.  We bonded a little talking about NY baseball teams.  

My biggest takeaway was he cared about what I thought and took the time to listen.  That gesture alone struck me as super cool.

Dan on the other hand comes off removed and apathetic about what fans think.  i am not saying he should care about us as sort of pseudo GMs but in my view as patrons of the stadium among other things I think it should matter to the upper management what we think.

There is a reason why trip advisor, yelp among other sites are so popular.  If hotels-restaurants, etc don't care about what their customers think of their services then good luck running a business that way.  But that's basically how Dan rolls.  Not only does he come off like he can care less what his customer base thinks.  He also won't even spend the time to explain what he's thinking or hold himself accountable for anything.

Lafemina was trying to change that vibe.  And I can totally see why he didn't fit with the "culture" there.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Galdi blasting Dan this morning for an issue I mention every now and then but it seems to go below the radar.

That is, Dan doesn't spend to win. He talked about how he heard from Cooley their weight room for eons was subpar.  Their cafeteria was like a school cafeteria where they were fed cheap junk food like hot dogs. Until Shanny insisted that change. 2nd rate facility.  2nd rate a lot of stuff.  Understaffed.

It goes below the radar that Dan might be the closest thing to the Bengals owner, Mike Brown.  He's a dude not willing to spend money to win.  

I used to buy that Dan just wanted to win but was too obtuse to know how to do it.  I am not so convinced now.  Either he's like Mike Brown and cares about making money and not winning so much or he's colossally dumb.  

Yeah Dan eons ago will overspend in FA.  But other than that, the dude doesn't go for the kill with his spending -- if anything its the reverse. 

I think both are true. Snyder is willing to spend to win, but thinks the only money that matters is invested in players... and historically, other team's players. Mind you, he will also spend big bucks on coaches. He doesn't understand the value of the little things like nutrition, training facilities, training staff, field conditions, etc. It probably baffles him how he could have routinely some of the highest NFL payrolls with such great coaches and get so little bang for the buck. When Allen arrived, he taught Snyder to be cheap. Now, Snyder probably has traits of the worst of all worlds. 

He wants to be cheap in free agency and cheap off the field. 

Keim said in talking to some people who work there and some who used to work there.  They believe they need to make more hires to change the culture there.  He didn't get into Bateman specifically but said that people there don't see that as a culture changer and that they need to make more hires.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

"I was only playing around...

I wasn't."

Julie Donaldson to head up radio team. Not necessarily to do play-by-play:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/nbc-sports-washingtons-julie-donaldson-be-hired-washington-nfl-team-lead-radio

Please, do not hire Grant Paulsen to do the play-by-play.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim said in talking to some people who work there and some who used to work there.  They believe they need to make more hires to change the culture there.  He didn't get into Bateman specifically but said that people there don't see that as a culture changer and that they need to make more hires.

I think that's got to be true. I don't know if they need to go so far as hiring an outside agency to coordinate and actually do the hiring, but I think they need to reengineer almost everything because, let's be honest, almost nothing was working.

Marketing isn't working.

Groundskeeping isn't working.

Wins and losses aren't working.

Company morale isn't working.

Fan relations aren't working.

The stadium isn't working.

Sports is weird. You can see teams like the Cubs, the Raiders, the Redsox, or the Browns who have been bad for decades and the fans remain loyal and love 'em. They love 'em as losers. The Redskins lost their fan base. Much of that has to do with wins and losses, but it goes deeper than that. There's something so broken about the team that fans have been willing to jump ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think both are true. Snyder is willing to spend to win, but thinks the only money that matters is invested in players... and historically, other team's players. Mind you, he will also spend big bucks on coaches. He doesn't understand the value of the little things like nutrition, training facilities, training staff, field conditions, etc. It probably baffles him how he could have routinely some of the highest NFL payrolls with such great coaches and get so little bang for the buck. When Allen arrived, he taught Snyder to be cheap. Now, Snyder probably has traits of the worst of all worlds. 

He wants to be cheap in free agency and cheap off the field. 

I wondered about Allen on that front.  And I've made similar points to yours as for the possible Allen influence.  We lost Dan's ability to spend big which arguably was one of his few positive traits when channeled well. 

On coaches.  I recall the story about how they wanted to keep Pleasant on the defensive staff but he thought they were being cheap and he left for the Rams because they paid him more.  

I recall stories about how Dan hates paying coaches who aren't on the payroll anymore so that was part of the charm of Jay selling him on keeping Haz.  the Manusky promotion, etc. 

I recall the story about how some NFL national insider saying the Redskins likely will struggle to get top personnel guys -- not just because of Dan but because other teams pay much more than they do for FO talent.  And they are one of the cheaper teams on that front.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Sports is weird. You can see teams like the Cubs, the Raiders, the Redsox, or the Browns who have been bad for decades and the fans remain loyal and love 'em. They love 'em as losers. The Redskins lost their fan base. Much of that has to do with wins and losses, but it goes deeper than that. There's something so broken about the team that fans have been willing to jump ship.

Dan is clearly front and center of that.  Other teams have had change of ownership.  And that IMO is a big part of the difference.  So that's why I've debated those who say why have the Redskins fans checked out and not the Browns?  To me its apples and oranges.   Their situations would be about being already past Dan Snyder but arguing about the next guy.  If we were bemoaning let's say Bezo's ownership reign then it would be apples to apples.   

Red Sox had John Henry take over.  New ownership.  New beginnings.  We've not had that.  We are always stuck in the same house.  We can change the furniture and the drapes, etc but its still the same house.  The other teams have changed houses. 

The other part of it IMO is we aren't exactly the lovable losers.  This isn't the cubs.   Much of Dan's reign has been slimy.  We are fashionable team to hate.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall stories about how Dan hates paying coaches who aren't on the payroll anymore so that was part of the charm of Jay selling him on keeping Haz.  the Manusky promotion, etc. 

I've read that, too, quite a few times. Talking about saving pennies at the expense of hundred dollar bills. Keeping Jay as a lame duck meant you couldn't hire any good defensive coaches. Who with opportunities was going to sign on for a one year rental? It also meant that the fans came into the season expecting failure and ready to bail. I remember predicting 3-13 before the season started. I thought Jay had  lost the team the year previous. I was never so negative about the team and it took all my willpower even to turn the TV on to watch. I don't know how many games I left early.

That's not me. That's never been me. And if I caved I can't imagine what more sane fans did.

Cavanaugh made me come back and I actually kinda got into rooting for Haskins and the rookies. Still, at the same time, I was rooting for progress, but wanted losses. I rooted for my team to lose.

That's not me. That's never been me. And if I caved I can't imagine what more sane fans did.

So, the choice to keep Gruden may have saved Snyder a few million, but cost him tens of millions in products, tickets, etc.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Seems like a good move with Julie Donaldson.  Surprises me.

I wonder if the law firm currently reviewing the organization is making suggestions already.

It’s a pure PR move. The previous guy had to retire due to his sexual harassment being revealed. So, they replace him with a woman; to lessen the heat on Snyder.

Once the heat dies down; her tenure will end.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It’s a pure PR move. The previous guy had to retire due to his sexual harassment being revealed. So, they replace him with a woman; to lessen the heat on Snyder.

Once the heat dies down; her tenure will end.

The law firm they hired is the tip top of recognizable, they will be extremely expensive.  I doubt it's just a PR move.