Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

47 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I basically agree with most of this.  I actually think he might be a good person not in the context of business.  From what we've heard, everybody loves his wife, and his kids are apparently top-notch.  I doubt Tanya would stick around if he was a jerk at home.  (That's conjecture, but based on everything we know about her, she's a really good person).  They do a lot of charity work. 

I think when it comes to business, he is a self-absorbed know-it-all, arrogant ass.  He has tremendous faith in his abilities because he built a pretty successful business by the time he was 34 years old, and was able to buy an NFL team.  Say what you want about him, that takes skill.  And HE knows that.  So he trusts himself and his abilities, and what made him successful in the first place.  

He trusts his instincts too much, and he berates and belittles people who work for him because he can.  I don't think, for the most part, he's living out his 14 year old fantasies in his private life, but he is in his professional life. 

Shrug, as you said, we don't know much about him or his family. 

I like reading biographies of successful people.  And one ingredient a lot of them have in common is they learn from their mistakes.  Many of the cite this trait along with persistence as key traits to their success.   Dan had some early success.  But from what I can tell he's struggled both as an owner and businessman even since -- with the exception of making the Redskins a cash cow early on in his tenure. 

Owning up to mistakes and learning from them doesn't seem to be in Dan's make up according to some who know him.  Heck forget people talking about Dan -- you can see a glimpse of this via the rare statements he puts out. 

You know that it would be tough to find someone on this board who thought less of Bruce than me.  Yet even I was annoyed with Dan's statement about moving on when he left when Riveria came on board.  You'd think Bruce was holding Dan hostage.  Dan took no responsibility. 

If you don't learn from your mistakes and it's always someone else's mistake -- then you simply never improve because the premise behind it is that you did nothing wrong but it was others or circumstances impinging. Some exceptions to this.  I do think he's learned some nuts and bolts about running the team better like stressing the draft more.   But overall, he doesn't come off like he gets that its the culture, stupid.  You want an environment that facilitates innovation and good types of risk.  If you have an environment where the top chief in the building is the dude who plays office politics the best -- that's clearly not a winning environment. 

Also, if you are going to skimp on the extra things that build success -- at one point it was scouting, then it was the facilities, now we are learning its the human resource department -- it will often bite you.   If you got 5 people doing the jobs of 10 people -- that will bite you too, often. 

I recall the stories back when the Redskins considered supposedly hiring a top personnel guy to replace Scot -- and we got people speaking off the record that the Redskins don't pay top dollar for people like that as other teams do.    Other teams might pay twice what the Redskins would for a top personnel guy.  We got that story about losing Pleasant to the Rams because they were willing to pay more.  And supposedly the Redskins players loved Pleasant.

To me there is a lot of smoke that Dan is actually cheap at least on some major fronts.  The Bengals is another organization known for similar things under Brown. I know it's an odd thing to pin on Dan because he's so willing to spend top dollars on FAs.  But otherwise I think it goes below the radar that Dan according to some is cheap.  And by extension the Redskins don't have the top of the line resources that some other clubs have.  I recall reading about how Shanny worked to change some of that.  And got some of the facility upgraded and supposedly the food wasn't hot so he got that changed too.

You got even reporters saying the Redskins spread is one of the worst in the NFL on game days.  And they talk about how in Philly among other places they are fed like kings.  Now as a story alone this seems like nothing but it fits that narrative about the Redskins under him -- where so much is 2nd rate. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, profusion said:

The world's gotten so crazy that this is just another regular story.

It is the weekend, plus the article went out of its way to suggest none of the girls implicated Snyder directly. Those named are fired or gone. That practically sealed this story at least for now.

Tolerance is acceptance and not knowing something you should know is no defense.  That said, a slap on the wrist and a healthy fine and this will all be forgotten in a month.  Back to the new name, I'm thinking RedTails is going to be the winner as soon as it clears the copyright hurdles.

6 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Tolerance is acceptance and not knowing something you should know is no defense.  That said, a slap on the wrist and a healthy fine and this will all be forgotten in a month.  Back to the new name, I'm thinking RedTails is going to be the winner as soon as it clears the copyright hurdles.

I hope you're wrong about the slap on Dans wrist and the name 

• Like 1

Back to football.  IF the NFLPA & NFL agree on the covid protocols; rookies are due to report this week.  Then the following week the veterans.  Only exceptions  are the Chiefs,Texans who play Sept. 10. Their players report a little earlier I think.

I am going switch my focus to football.  Even though I think Covid-19 will derail the season at some point; I am looking forward to see how Ron starts to shape his team.  However long football is able to be played this year; I am going to enjoy it.

For those hoping Snyder is on his way out in the next year; good luck with that.  I figure once the investigation by Dan's lawyer is done.  He'll make the recommended changes. Probably, see a couple of women hired in HR to deal with stuff like this.  The NFL will fine him and take a lower round draft pick or two.  That will be it.

Unless there's something tying Dan directly to this; I don't see him being impact personally.  Even if he knew, I don't think that would force to sell.  Now, if some of the other rumored stuff comes out with verified proof; then that's a different ball game.  I'm not pinning my hopes on it.  Any success in the future will be in spite of Dan, not because of him.

So, I am looking towards football; forever how brief of time we get it this year.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Back to football.  IF the NFLPA & NFL agree on the covid protocols; rookies are due to report this week.  Then the following week the veterans.  Only exceptions  are the Chiefs,Texans who play Sept. 10. Their players report a little earlier I think.

I am going switch my focus to football.  Even though I think Covid-19 will derail the season at some point; I am looking forward to see how Ron starts to shape his team.  However long football is able to be played this year; I am going to enjoy it.

For those hoping Snyder is on his way out in the next year; good luck with that.  I figure once the investigation by Dan's lawyer is done.  He'll make the recommended changes. Probably, see a couple of women hired in HR to deal with stuff like this.  The NFL will fine him and take a lower round draft pick or two.  That will be it.

Unless there's something tying Dan directly to this; I don't see him being impact personally.  Even if he knew, I don't think that would force to sell.  Now, if some of the other rumored stuff comes out with verified proof; then that's a different ball game.  I'm not pinning my hopes on it.  Any success in the future will be in spite of Dan, not because of him.

So, I am looking towards football; forever how brief of time we get it this year.

I don't see why any draft picks would be forfeited.

29 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Because the NFL is trying to grow its female viewership and so need to be seen as taking sexual harassment seriously.

Maybe if charges were filed, but none have been, right? 

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Because the NFL is trying to grow its female viewership and so need to be seen as taking sexual harassment seriously.

Not seein' it.  Has nothing to do with competition, and the accused parties are already no longer with the team.  Draft picks  won't be involved.  Will there likely be a fine?  Sure.

24 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Maybe if charges were filed, but none have been, right? 

Goodell’s never been concerned with charges when it comes to player suspensions, but I don’t doubt you’re right. The league will probably clAim the ‘skins acted proactively by arranging the resignations of the worst actors. Personally, I don’t buy that. The resignations only took place because they got caught and everyone knew the article was coming out with names named. 

so, I don’t give the Redskins much credit here unless you give them credit for hiring a lawyer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I'm going with he's Both

I'd aim that way all in all, but I was speaking specific to this scenario.

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Poor leader is being soft.  His actions, like forcing execs to do humiliating stuff in front of people as a show is part of what starts a culture like this.

Lack of empathy and bullying trickles down to those below, and then trickles down again.  To the point where demeaning behavior that harms others isn't given a second thought.  So you get a scumbag culture that eventually distorts into one that fully preys on women.

That's completely on Dan's leadership.  He fostered a scumbag culture through his own actions.  He didn't care about what was happening in the building.  Not a, he didn't know (there were complaints), but rather it didn't bother him.

He's a scumbag.

I was speaking specific to this situation. Not totality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Number 44 said:

Not seein' it.  Has nothing to do with competition, and the accused parties are already no longer with the team.  Draft picks  won't be involved.  Will there likely be a fine?  Sure.

Taking draft picks for on field transgressions (bounty, spy) makes sense.  Taking them for front office transgressions doesn't make sense.  The players aren't the named persons here.

That being said, fining Snyder even a couple million is nothing to him.  Forcing him to hire proper HR and some female execs makes sense, but still doesn't punish Snyder.  The only thing I can think of is that it has to punish him financially on a large scale.  In college, they will usually cancel bowl eligibility.  With how putrid our team is, that doesn't really matter.  Maybe taking all gameday profits for a few games would work, inclusive of revenue sharing and whatnot?

I dunno but taking the draft picks doesn't make sense and doesn't really punish Snyder.

Look, it's pretty obvious Snyder knew this **** was going on. He's an adolescent idiot in the fact that he truly believes he can't get caught. Yet, he we are.

The NFL is dropping the ball (no pun intended) in that they are refusing to delve into this problem appropriately. Hell, they need only to refer back to the cheerleader incident to see the toxic cultivation being perpetuated by Snyder. We, the fans, see it as plain as day. Please, tell me how in the **** these rich suits don't see it.

I, like many of you, come from the old school of Redskins fans. I feel sorry for the younger generation of fans that have had been exposed to this cluster**** of an organization led by this incompetent piece of grade A, 100℅, high quality steaming pile of horse****. They have watched this dumpster fire while we older fans were privileged enough to watch a competitive team who got to see our team win super bowls.

Snyder is guilty as **** and I hope like hell someone (media, Roger ****ing Goodell, victims, etc) is able to run this assclown the hell away from our team. 

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I will keep wishing regardless. 

HTTR!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Look, it's pretty obvious Snyder knew this **** was going on. He's an adolescent idiot in the fact that he truly believes he can't get caught. Yet, he we are.

The NFL is dropping the ball (no pun intended) in that they are refusing to delve into this problem appropriately. Hell, they need only to refer back to the cheerleader incident to see the toxic cultivation being perpetuated by Snyder. We, the fans, see it as plain as day. Please, tell me how in the **** these rich suits don't see it.

I, like many of you, come from the old school of Redskins fans. I feel sorry for the younger generation of fans that have had been exposed to this cluster**** of an organization led by this incompetent piece of grade A, 100℅, high quality steaming pile of horse****. They have watched this dumpster fire while we older fans were privileged enough to watch a competitive team who got to see our team win super bowls.

Snyder is guilty as **** and I hope like hell someone (media, Roger ****ing Goodell, victims, etc) is able to run this assclown the hell away from our team. 

I'm sure it's wishful thinking, but I will keep wishing regardless. 

HTTR!

I agree with everything you said.  I was in first grade for Super Bowl 26, so I have the faintest memories of Gibbs 1.0.

That said, I don't expect the NFL to do anything of note.  I'm 99% sure that the rest of the owners would discourage the league from looking too closely.  Sexual harassment is almost certainly rampant in offices around the league, though perhaps not to the extent that was reported here.  Other owners don't want people poking into their back closets.

Hopefully women being harassed on other teams start speaking up as well.

Really the only thing that is keeping me attached to this team is the past. If I were in my 20's I would have jumped ship most likely. And the thing is we have some really nice young pieces. But my disdain for Dan Snyder ( and the upcoming name change) has made me just not care anymore. 

All this loser does is put out statements. Why? Why is he such a effing coward where he can't do a press conference and look people in the eye and be genuine. Instead he puts out a 2nd statement and has his wife in it. Why? She isn't even part of this mess. I swear I just can not stand this man. If I saw him on the street I would call him a coward right to his face. Sell the team and just go away. 

Now he has his new coach who IMO has been put in a very bad situation. He should just be coaching the team, dealing with that. Now you've put the name change on him as well as all of this new mess. He is in a no win situation.  Ron R has to be having 2nd thoughts. 

Per Peter King:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/20/minnesota-vikings-complex-tour-nfl-covid-peter-king-fmia/

"Fire The Owner

Daniel Snyder has no business owning an NFL team. First: He stinks at it. Second: Rightfully, he inspires nothing but enmity among his fan base. Third: No one wants to work for him, or with him; it’s a miracle he found a very good man, Ron Rivera, to coach his team. (Though if you want to be an NFL head coach, sometimes you take what you can get.) Fourth, and perhaps most maddening to any principled person: He avoids accountability at every turn. Nothing’s ever his fault.

It was an awful football week in the nation’s capital.

Will Hobson and Liz Clarke of the Washington Post reported that 15 female employees of the team and two female media members who have covered the team alleged that club employees sexually harassed them. Not two or three women. Seventeen.

That story dropped three days after the team said it would no longer use the team name “Redskins.” It took the franchise years to drop the name, even though the most widely used dictionary in America, Merriam-Webster, says, “The word redskin is very offensive and should be avoided.” Snyder did not come to this conclusion of dropping the name on his own; he was browbeaten into it by corporations pulling their money from his franchise, and by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell telling him to wake up.

The franchise was once an NFL flagship, but in the reign of Snyder, the organization has become football’s New York Knicks—big name, shameful performance, totally irrelevant. Snyder’s team has finished third or fourth in the NFC East in 16 of his 21 seasons as owner, is 49 games under .500 in his tenure, and hasn’t won a playoff game since 2005. None of his eight prior head coaches left the team with a winning record.

The biggest indictment of Snyder’s ownership might be none of those things. It might be that all three minority partners want nothing to do with him. Fred Smith, Dwight Schar and Robert Rothman, per Pro Football Talk, all are trying to sell their combined 35-percent stake in the NFL’s Titanic.

One veteran front-office man with another team who knows the franchise well told me that no one wants to work for Snyder (that’s pretty obvious), especially after widely respected NFL business authority Brian Lafemina lasted only eight months with the team before being fired in late 2018. And another former club employee told me the atmosphere around the team in his time there was like a frat house.

With his franchise a five-alarm blaze, Snyder did what he always does: He hid. An accountability press conference? No chance. Not his style, taking responsibility. He issued a four-sentence statement, saying he was committed to setting a new culture.

Blah blah blah. It’s a stretch to believe that Snyder didn’t know some of his employees were creeps.

The luckiest thing for Snyder this year is that fans won’t be able to come to games—at least at the start of the 2020 season—and chant what would be anti-Snyder chants, and unfurl anti-Snyder banners in the parking lots during tailgates. That’s assuming any fans would come. The stands at RFK Stadium pre-Snyder would be so raucous that the press box in the old barn would shake. FedEx Field in the Maryland ‘burbs is like the team: emotionless and dreary.

It’s every NFL owner’s inalienable right to print money, which is why I doubt this stubborn man would consider selling this franchise. Snyder can rake in $280 million a year from national TV and media deals (which should increase with new media contracts getting done in the next two years) by going 5-11, year after year. The NFL incentivizes mediocrity that way. But how many more slaps in the face does Snyder need to take to know he’s not wanted locally or nationally? He apparently avoided lots of the slings and arrows—as the Washington Post reported—by being out of town and touch during some of this recent crisis on his $100-million superyacht, the one with the IMAX theater.

The unfortunate thing if you root for this team is that nothing Snyder has done merits a Donald Sterling-type takeover by the league. You’re stuck with him. It’s a shame. I remember when this team mattered."

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1