Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

8 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

I don't think though that Rittenhouse getting cleared of all chages means rhat right wingers will start doimg this more and more.

I say this because this guy still got charged.

Somebody does this again, he will get charged. 

The next jury might not be so sympathetic.

So right wing fantasy isn't happening.

You've seen something that makes you think the GOP base will learn from somebody else's inconvenience?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tailgate:  If Rittenhouse were black, he'd have been found guilty

Spiff:  Here's a case where a black man was found not guilty on murder charges when claiming self defense.

TTB:  real-housewives-pointing.gif

Agreed, it is sad.

Andrew Coffee was charged for the murder of his girlfriend AFTER THE ATF PUMPED 10 SHOTS INTO HER CHEST.  That’s the murder charge he was acquitted of and he will likely be sentenced to over 10 years in prison in January for illegally possessing firearms.

There is literally nothing in common between his case and the Rittenhouse case and if you are implying that there is, you are either very uninformed or completely morally bankrupt…you choose.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Despite his “emotions” do you think for a second he thought he was going to jail? 

Yeah, for a second. When he surrendered himself to the police with hands raised. I suspect once the police sent him on his way and thanked him he pretty much knew he was home free. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, redskins59 said:

The base will not learn.

Still, the deterrant is that you will get charged.

And generate a media circus including the entire GOP rallying around you as a hero and you'll make a butt-load of money off of the hero-worshippers be it through a go-fund-me or a corrupt congress critter, appearances on Fox News and OANN, etc..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, for a second. When he surrendered himself to the police with hands raised. I suspect once the police sent him on his way and thanked him he pretty much knew he was home free. 

I think once his defense team had the videos he liked his chances.  He was likely afraid right up until the jury announced their decision though.  Coming that close to spending your life in prison is enough to rattle anyone.  

Without video of both shooting incidents he’s almost certainly in prison forever.  No one would believe things went down like they did.  Prosecutors could have spun a much different narrative easily enough.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I think once his defense team had the videos he liked his chances.  He was likely afraid right up until the jury announced their decision though.  Coming that close to spending your life in prison is enough to rattle anyone.  

Without video of both shooting incidents he’s almost certainly in prison forever.  No one would believe things went down like they did.  Prosecutors could have spun a much different narrative easily enough.  

he would have spent a 2-6 years in prison before the next republican president pardons him during his inauguration speech  

• Like 2

Context matters. The protests and the riots occurred as a reaction to unjustified use of force by police against people of color. Rittenhouse, as a young white vigilante parading around with his AR-15, was probably not seen as a defender or peace keeper. He was viewed as a hostile symptom of the problem. Of Whites attacking or threatening people of color with impunity. So to a degree his presence was like someone coming into an oil spill while juggling lit torches.

Now, I'm not saying that to justify people whacking Rittenhouse with a skateboard and I'm not saying that to say he didn't have a right to self-defense, but I am saying that his presence there was provocation. I'm also speculating that Rittenhouse said or did something because I think I've read that there were others out there who came with the same stated intention and they wound up not being attacked nor did they kill anyone.

But  on a simpler level, if there are nationwide protests going on because there is a history of unjustified force used by White people against Black people then the last thing you need is a White guy putting on a cloak of mock authority marching around threatening people with a gun. It's not going to help. It's not going to deescalate. It's only going to enflame.

And yes, once you take the AR-15 off your back and you carry it in your hands ready for use you are being threatening. 

The above doesn't really have to do with the court case. It has to do with what should and what should not have happened or maybe why it happened. Rittenhouse didn't need to be there. He didn't need to be there with a loaded weapon. He didn't need to be in the middle of it alone. Yet he went out of his way to be there. He was alone and running through the streets.

That's not how you protect property. That's not how you protect people. I still believe based on his words that Rittenhouse went there hoping to get in a fight and hoping to use his gun. He got his wish and people died. It wasn't legally proven but these killings were premeditated. He went there and put himself in a situation with the hopes that he could get in a fight and shoot people just as he said he wanted to on that video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think the way this thread transformed once there was a verdict, and the easy to see outcome with media spots and certain groups saying what they say… our society just sucks. 

this isn’t something that should be coopted the way it was by both sides to be the narrative they want it to be. 

it should be a tragedy. It should spark conversation about the things that are wrong and what can be done about them. 

out situation sucks because we suck. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think the way this thread transformed once there was a verdict, and the easy to see outcome with media spots and certain groups saying what they say… our society just sucks. 

this isn’t something that should be coopted the way it was by both sides to be the narrative they want it to be. 

it should be a tragedy. It should spark conversation about the things that are wrong and what can be done about them. 

out situation sucks because we suck. 

I posted something similar...I'm finding it harder to get "back in the game" of my life.  I've always been fairly emotional...and I cry when I'm angry.  Most of this year, I literally cried every day, because I was angry with myself. 

But I'm angrier now that we're still the same stupid society that we've been since Trayvon.  Nothing has changed.  

41 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I posted something similar...I'm finding it harder to get "back in the game" of my life.  I've always been fairly emotional...and I cry when I'm angry.  Most of this year, I literally cried every day, because I was angry with myself. 

But I'm angrier now that we're still the same stupid society that we've been since Trayvon.  Nothing has changed.  

Maybe if you followed the facts of the case you wouldn't be so dramatic? States witness confirmed that the first guy shot was screaming "I'M GOING TO ****ING KILL YOU" and lunged for the gun, the second guy that got shot was bashing the kid in the face with a skateboard and wrestling the gun away, and the last gut that Rittenhouse shot testified in court that he pointed his (illegally procured) Glock into the defendant's face.  And this was AFTER they chased the kid down the street and got him on the ground...This was an open and shut case.

The real tragedy about this is that people are too stupid to see the clear abuse by the prosecutor and what that means for the criminal justice system. There's common ground here that could have led to some real reform. But instead it's identity politics's rioting time.  And don't feed me this bull**** about "IF HE WAS BLACK". A black teenager in Dallas shot his teacher and another student and got bail pronto. And let's not talk about "mutual combat" in Chicago. This isn't some example of racism. The real racism within the system goes back to redlining (New Deal Democrats), Rickey Riley (moving product into urban neighborhoods through the CIA), and that crime bill (Biden).  Wonder why none of this gets discussed in Democrat circles?

Edited by seamonster
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 3

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Context matters. The protests and the riots occurred as a reaction to unjustified use of force by police against people of color. Rittenhouse, as a young white vigilante parading around with his AR-15, was probably not seen as a defender or peace keeper. He was viewed as a hostile symptom of the problem. Of Whites attacking or threatening people of color with impunity. So to a degree his presence was like someone coming into an oil spill while juggling lit torches.

Well, I'm conflicted on that matter.  

Yes, he absolutely intended his presence to be a statement.  And a statement of opposition to the BLM folks.  

But then, that's protest, isn't it?  

The protestors were there to make a statement.  And to make it by being, at least a little, confrontational about it.  

And, people do have a right to go and protest in opposition to a protest, don't they?  

• Like 1