Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

14 hours ago, glongest said:

They have not given up a ton of sacks but that is about where their success stops.  In terms of rushing yards per game, 29th out of 32 teams, not very good.  And where does rushing start.  It starts with the O line.  

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think that it is fair to say that bad teams tend to rank low in rushing yards and high in rushing yards allowed in part because the teams with the lead tend to run the ball more than teams that are behind.  As such, these rankings don't really tell the entire story.  Now, maybe the WFT o-line is poor at run blocking - I don't know - but the team ranking isn't necessarily the definitive proof of that, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the energy behind Schweitzer, not just his blocking effort, but his jovial insistence on wildly spiking the ball on every TD possible.

I wonder how that happens on the field - Sims scores a TD and about to celebrate, and Terry says "Simmy watch out - here comes big Wes, he's rumblin, stumblin, comin after your ball !"

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Easy reference for a quick look at our OLine

Oline.jpg

I think I just identified the reason for our disappointment with Wes Martin.

According this, it's been Wes Martina, not Wes Martin all along, playing LG early in the season.

Not sure what they've done with the actual Wes Martin.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I am curious how ES members gauge Morgan Moses play at LT yesterday.  Do you think he is a fit long term at LT?

I don't think you can reasonably be anything other than happy with his play. It was basically and emergency situation given our injuries at LT, and he filled in admirably.

That being said I would in no way want to think about Moses as our long term LT right now. The Bengals have a pretty poor pass rush, so this was not exactly MT. Everest that Moses and the OL climbed. They faced a sub average rush, and did pretty great, that is the long and the short of it.

I do sleep better at night after this knowing that in emergency in game situations, Moses is more than capable of kicking out to LT if need be, and that has impact on both peace of mind and Moses' worth financially speaking. That just under 10M for a RT deal looks a lot better now than it did last week.

• Like 3

Moses has a pretty solid RT who goes on occasional yellow flag runs. While he can fill in if needed at LT (or inside) I am uncomfortable with him on the left side.

Roullier has put together another solid year of playing well enough to keep his job because there are too many areas that need addressing sooner.

Love that some of these others like Schweitzer and Lucas and Sharpe have been decent. 

Scherff appears to be trying to get everyone to forget he gets hurt a lot by playing his usual lights out (when on the field)

The line still needs a whole lot of loving in the off season

• Like 1

Scherff is good but is there a NOTICABLE difference between him and Sweitzer? Not really. You don't pay a G that kind of money unless he's Quentin Nelson or Zach Martin dominant and Scherff isn't that. I'd prefer to keep him because he is very good, but for big bucks? No thanks.

With that said it'd suck to create another hole since the left side needs a complete revamp. Roullier is a FA too and while he's not all world, he's dependable enough at C and worth keeping.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Scherff is good but is there a NOTICABLE difference between him and Sweitzer? Not really. You don't pay a G that kind of money unless he's Quentin Nelson or Zach Martin dominant and Scherff isn't that. I'd prefer to keep him because he is very good, but for big bucks? No thanks.

With that said it'd suck to create another hole since the left side needs a complete revamp. Roullier is a FA too and while he's not all world, he's dependable enough at C and worth keeping.

There isn't a noticeable difference at all, the smart teams will let Scherff go (acquire the incoming 3rd/4th round comp in return), and sign another player similar to Schweitzer to replace Scherff. I'm noticing a general improvement from our line as far as coaching goes and think we have one of the best OL coaches in the league. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Scherff may regret turning down that reported 13mi+ per year extension back in 2019.

Would like him back and I’d still offer somewhere near the above number. Not sure the front office will though. If not, he may well walk.

If that’s the case, I’d switch Schweitzer to RG and pick up Norwell for LG once the Jags cut ties with him. He won’t be cheap, but I reckon it’ll be 20-25% less that Scherff.

Write up on the teams official site about its rookies to-date. Real shame we haven’t seen more of Charles, but you never know for next season. Reads as if we really do like his potential. 

T Saahdiq Charles (Round 4, No. 108 overall)

Saahdiq Charles was believed to be in contention for the starting left tackle spot, but he sat out most of training camp and missed the first five games of his rookie season with a calf injury. Charles finally made his debut against the New York Giants on Oct. 18, but two snaps later, Charles went down with a knee injury. Charles is currently on Injured Reserve.

"It's very difficult just because you see the promise," Rivera said. "Saahdiq played two plays and you see both those plays and you sit there and say: 'The guy is something else.' He blocked their best pass rusher on the very first play. He went down the line, and on the kick out block was in great position to create a crease and then he hurts his leg. You just sit there and say: 'Wow, this kid has potential,' but every time something like this sets him back.'"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1