Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Are (Real) Sports Coming Back?

PleaseBlitz

On 5/22/2020 at 9:48 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

College football is happening in some form this year unless things the current reopenings really **** things up. 

The best way to enforce the quarantine and enable college football games would be if EA released a new version of NCAA Football. Now.

7 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

The best way to enforce the quarantine and enable college football games would be if EA released a new version of NCAA Football. Now.

Please see the PS4 v. XBox thread. I asked about this earlier today, lol. 

University of Michigan president says no football in fall if students aren't on campus

The president of the University of Michigan said the school will not have football or other sports in the fall if students are not brought back for on-campus classes. 

“If there is no on-campus instruction then there won’t be intercollegiate athletics, at least for Michigan,” Mark Schlissel, the president of the university, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal published Sunday. 

He also warned that even if the team is able to play, they may do so at a stadium smaller than the Michigan Stadium, known as the "Big House," which has a capacity of 107,601. 

“I can’t imagine a way to do that safely,” Schlissel told the Journal. 

Click on the link for the full article

6 minutes ago, China said:

University of Michigan president says no football in fall if students aren't on campus

The president of the University of Michigan said the school will not have football or other sports in the fall if students are not brought back for on-campus classes. 

“If there is no on-campus instruction then there won’t be intercollegiate athletics, at least for Michigan,” Mark Schlissel, the president of the university, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal published Sunday. 

He also warned that even if the team is able to play, they may do so at a stadium smaller than the Michigan Stadium, known as the "Big House," which has a capacity of 107,601. 

“I can’t imagine a way to do that safely,” Schlissel told the Journal. 

Click on the link for the full article

I look forward to this potential conundrum... You know, with them being student athletes and all that good stuff

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I look forward to this potential conundrum... You know, with them being student athletes and all that good stuff

if March Madness was any indicator, then a few big programs will essentially decide for the NCAA.  IIRC there was a big question about the tournament until Duke and another school (Kansas maybe?) basically said they weren’t sending teams even if there was a tournament. After that, within hours, all of the conference tournaments and March madness were cancelled.

i think Notre Dame is on the same wavelength that no on-campus school means no football season. I have to think that if a single SEC powerhouse drops out, the NCAA will follow suit and make that the policy (I.e.: if you’re not having in-person classes, you’re not playing sports).

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

People crave football like a tweaker craves meth. There will be fireworks, if football gets axed. Wont bother me all that much, tho.

I think you’re right actually. The point I made about a single SEC school opting out was a non-trivial event, given not just the money involved but also the fact that they’re in a part of the country that thinks this whole thing is overblown anyways.  Still I think that would be the death knell for fall sports if a school like Florida pulls the same policy.

I stand by my statement with NFL being canary in the coal mine.

It's only a matter of time until the "get out ther and throw dem touchdowns, boy" protests come.  Week 2 if season doesn't start Week 1.

We don't hide who we are anymore, for better or worse.

Totally understand the financial point Boras is making, but he either fails to consider, or does not care, that at the end of the day, MLB franchise valuations AND player salaries are extraordinarily dependent on fan engagement and goodwill.  They've ****ed this one up before.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29234956/agent-scott-boras-tells-clients-not-bail-baseball-owners

Reg. MLB, the players should absolutely NOT cave. Why bail out the billionaire owners? Baseball has made record profits in recent years. The owners should pay what they owe. Oh no, they're slightly less ridiculously wealthy now, how will they survive? /s

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29241941/future-mlb-not-just-2020-season-stake

You can feel Buster Olney fighting back the tears. 

Many of the folks inside baseball but outside of the Zoom labor negotiations assume that, eventually, cooler heads will prevail in the talks between the owners and the players' union. Because they have to -- right?

Because the alternative -- no attempted restart of baseball in 2020 because of a failure of the two sides to agree to terms -- bears catastrophic consequences, now and in the sport's future. The leaders on both sides have to see that -- right?

They have to understand this nuclear option is no option at all -- right?

They have to understand how baseball might need a generation or two -- decades -- for some fans to forget or forgive this ill-timed squabble over money, at a time when so many have lost jobs and increasingly struggle to meet the cost of shelter and food. Baseball's owners and players can't be so deeply mired in distrust and doctrine that they don't see this -- right?

But here we are, in a countdown to utter disaster for Major League Baseball, and sources of moderation on both sides are having difficulty identifying the path through which the parties will leave their respective bunkers to reach the agreement the industry must have. As distasteful as the terms might be for the owners and players, they should all recognize that while concern over player and staff safety could ultimately prevent games from being played, they must settle the question of player compensation -- whatever form that takes -- and shake hands on the deal and smile for the cameras. (Actually, please be sure to get it in writing that everybody acknowledges -- more later on how the failure to do that has contributed to the current stalemate.)

If that doesn't happen -- if they can't agree on a deal to play in 2020 -- baseball will become a loathed presence on North America's sporting landscape, scorned by many fans. The labor fight will merely be deferred, with escalation in some form all but assured because of the unresolved issues.

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Sounds incredibly overdramatic. People have dangerously short attention spans these days. Baseball will be fine whenever it returns

The game that requires more patience than most, has less action than most, trying to capture people with dangerously short attention spans as you (correctly) pointed out.  It doesn't bode well.

I dunno.  It might be "fine" in the sense that it'll be back eventually, but I don't see it as being healthy as it once was.  After the '94 strike it took someone breaking an unbreakable record that was 60+ years old and the rampant use of steroids so players could break home run records to get it back on track.  They can't do that again.

• 2 weeks later...

Read somewhere that Vegas is conditionally approved today host NHL games and they are waiting on Canada to clear their 14 day quarantine for teams. Still not hopeful, but I do see players posting IG videos out on the ice so they are making (some) progress.

37 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have given up on MLB this year. 

Should give up on everything.  This country is retarded. All this time and virtually nothing has been done by people in power to get a handle on it, and don't seem to care.

Not exactly an ideal environment for sports to return to, from the pros to Timmy's intramurals

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This could have been us if we weren’t governed by dumb people .

People in NC couldn't even handle a 30 day stay at home order.  All that re-open NC bull****, not wearing masks when out, not social distancing, protests, etc.  And now we are seeing record numbers again and there is talk about another stay at home order.  People are stupid and can't adhere to simple rules and guidelines, that's the major fail imo.

If the current administration in DC had issued a national stay at home order, making masks mandatory, I'm not sure it would have worked like it did in New Zealand.  I think it would have been better overall than what we are seeing now.  But again, you have to rely on the people to follow orders/guidelines.  It's a real **** show out there.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/coronavirus-ezekiel-elliott-several-cowboys-and-texans-players-test-positive-for-covid-19-per-report/

Unfortunately, members of the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans may have been affected by this recent spike. According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, several Cowboys players and Texans players have tested positive for the coronavirus. 

None of the players are believed to have been in their team facilities, and the teams have been following the proper health protocols. Rapoport says that one of the players whotested positive is Cowboys star running back Ezekiel Elliott. Per Patrik Walker of CBS Sports, Elliott is asymptomatic and doing well. He was tested as a precaution. Last month, NFL chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills said that they fully expect they will have some positive cases, and the challenge would be to identify them as quickly as possible and prevent the spread. According to Rapoport, the teams appear to have done that. 

Archived