Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Are (Real) Sports Coming Back?

PleaseBlitz

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That is a ridiculous position to take right now.  And I side with players over owners on nearly everything. 

Hopefully just establishing starting positions for a relatively quick negotiation. 

It is.  And I do too.  But the MLBPA prides itself more than anything about not having a salary cap.  They won't give an inch here, pandemic or not, because...well, it's a slippery slope.  I get it, I understand it but I don't like it either.  

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It is.  And I do too.  But the MLBPA prides itself more than anything about not having a salary cap.  They won't give an inch here, pandemic or not, because...well, it's a slippery slope.  I get it, I understand it but I don't like it either.  

Right, but in a year that nobody thought about in advance, where revenues are entirely up in the air because of the attendance issue, taking the position that your pay cannot be based on the amount of revenue the business actually makes because that is similar to, but not the same as, a salary cap is a very dumb position.  The are being given the choice between having a season (which they claim to want) and making some money, or not having a season and making no money, and they are taking the latter.   It's such a dumb position to take I don't even believe it is anything more than a negotiating tactic (unless the owners are not actually trying to make it more permanent than half of one season). 

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

If I was Bryce Harper, I’d want every red cent that Philly said they’d pay me.

Sure. And if you were the owner, you wouldn’t. So the question becomes is Harper willing to take less to play half a season, or does he want to not have a season and possibly get zero, depending on what his contract says about force majeure. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure?wprov=sfti1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Sure. And if you were the owner, you wouldn’t. So the question becomes is Harper willing to take less to play half a season, or does he want to not have a season and possibly get zero, depending on what his contract says about force majeure. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure?wprov=sfti1

Force majeure...

****ing lawyers

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Right, but in a year that nobody thought about in advance, where revenues are entirely up in the air because of the attendance issue, taking the position that your pay cannot be based on the amount of revenue the business actually makes because that is similar to, but not the same as, a salary cap is a very dumb position.  The are being given the choice between having a season (which they claim to want) and making some money, or not having a season and making no money, and they are taking the latter.   It's such a dumb position to take I don't even believe it is anything more than a negotiating tactic (unless the owners are not actually trying to make it more permanent than half of one season). 

We are in agreement, except I don't think it's a negotiating tactic.

I don't think the MLBPA will give an inch.  Not for this year or for any year.  It will be cutting their nose to spite their face but they don't care....not having a salary cap is the thing they hold dearest.

For those of you interested, today the Bundesliga starts again (without fans, and some other precautions). It's the first major sports league that's reopening in Europe and the NFL, according to Garoppolo, is closely following because it's contact sports and thus the learnings are of high importance for the NFL as well.

For those who just want to watch some live sports, the most intersting match is definitely Borussia Dortmund vs. Schalke 04. It's the biggest derby in Germany and one of the biggest rivalries in world football. It's obviously not anywhere close to the normal atmosphere without the fans, but it should still be an intersting game as Dortmund is 2nd in the table and Schalke is 6th.

I almost always side with the players when it comes to matters of money but they just come across as really greedy asking for full salaries for half season worth of play when there are millions of Americans struggling without work.

I'm fine with them asking for the moon in contract negotiations and all that, because the league generates billions and I'd rather the players get paid than the owners, but the circumstances are a bit different right now.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I almost always side with the players when it comes to matters of money but they just come across as really greedy asking for full salaries for half season worth of play when there are millions of Americans struggling without work.

I'm fine with them asking for the moon in contract negotiations and all that, because the league generates billions and I'd rather the players get paid than the owners, but the circumstances are a bit different right now.

Here is where the owners disinformation scheme comes into play.

The players and owners already agreed to a pro-rated salary structure in March.  Basically, 50% of salary for 81 games played.  It was a done deal.

Now that it’s become clear that most or all of the games will be played without fans/parking/$12 beers, the owners have come back and tried to change the deal for their benefit with some “profit-sharing” foolishness.  The players were wise to decline.

Bottom line...as a business owner, sometimes you take the L.  Not really surprising that a monopoly like MLB pretends they don’t understand this.  

The Mazda store cant balance the books by retroactively screwing the staff...and neither can the Marlins.

Suck it up, fat cats.

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I thought they agreed to salaries based on games played back in March, though and the Owners that want to renegotiate that. 

10 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Are they playing tomorrow?  All I can find is that they are gearing up for June.

Tomorrow is Fowler / DJ / Rory and some other dude in a Skins match. 

Next weekend is Tiger / Phil with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning with Charles Barkley doing play by play. Spring 2020 is weird. 

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't think we're gonna get any baseball.

I hope the NBA gets it **** together.  

I think we'll get MLB in July. Probably open July 4th weekend. What better way to symbolize the "re opening of America"? Just hope nobody tests positive afterwards...

Archived