Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Project 11" Alex Smith's ESPN 30-for-30

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Didn't watch the documentary, but I did read the accompanying piece on ESPN. Holy cow. He's a testament both to the modern medical profession and to what one man's will can accomplish.

I still don't think he gets back on the field, but I'm rooting for him.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah.  I blame memory loss due to covid quarantining with a 6 year old.  

however, I will give myself...

That might be the worst reason for not knowing a dinosaur reference.  :ols:

I agree with you about Snyder.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

players don’t have a problem with him

because he pays them ridiculous sums of money. 

don’t really think he deserves credit for doing the bare minimum and allowing use of his jet to fly to try treatment 

How is that the bare minimum? Dislike him all you want, but he loves the team and takes care of the players. Sometimes too much.

Finally watched this. Wow. I knew it was bad but I had no idea his injury was THAT bad. Alex is a tough tough man. He has a great attitude and an exceptional wife. The fact that is able to play with his kids amazes me. I mean they literally had rebuild his lower leg. Wow. Just. Wow.

Well, now I like the guy even more and want to see him play again. Us being in first place in the division isn't lost on me, like it is a lot of fan, because our offense was predictable. methodical, boring and low scoring, but despite a bad line, defense, special teams and very little talent, he led us to the last winning record that we've had.

Amazing story.

I had an injury very similar to what TO had the year he went to the SB with the Eagles. Mine was a few months before him and had a little more nerve damage, but when he got to the game, I was still living on a couch playing balloon lagoon with my niece everyday. 

At least I have my health is such a true statement.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well, now I like the guy even more and want to see him play again. Us being in first place in the division isn't lost on me, like it is a lot of fan, because our offense was predictable. methodical, boring and low scoring, but despite a bad line, defense, special teams and very little talent, he led us to the last winning record that we've had.

Amazing story.

I had an injury very similar to what TO had the year he went to the SB with the Eagles. Mine was a few months before him and had a little more nerve damage, but when he got to the game, I was still living on a couch playing balloon lagoon with my niece everyday. 

At least I have my health is such a true statement.

People naysay Smith all the time around here... and I think its some weird Cousins complex and they couple him with the trade more than anything. How anyone could knock what Smith was doing with this team in absolute dire situations as far as talent goes is absolutely dumbfounding to me.

Is Smith the greatest quarterback to suit up in Redskin history? No. Was he a stat monster? No. Was he a leader, poised, intelligent, hard working and a guy his teammates could rely on? Yes. My take on quarterbacks seems to be different than many people's here...

I don't want a guy with just physical attributes. I want a guy who can lead. And inspire his teammates. And be liked by his teammates. All of that is so much more important than so many people think. A QB can be a dickhead and succeed... as long as his teammates believe that he's going to do everything he can to win a game. But not being a dick helps a lot.

Smith checked every box for me. I was a fan of his on day one when we acquired him. He was too damn expensive, so I wasn't a fan of the deal. But I loved getting Alex Smith as the QB.

His story, his recovery... all of that explains why the guys played for him. It explains why he was able to have success in such a poor situation. 

I'm team Smith all the way, man. As a coach, he's the kind of guy you want to be your quarterback.

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

People naysay Smith all the time around here... and I think its some weird Cousins complex and they couple him with the trade more than anything. How anyone could knock what Smith was doing with this team in absolute dire situations as far as talent goes is absolutely dumbfounding to me.

Is Smith the greatest quarterback to suit up in Redskin history? No. Was he a stat monster? No. Was he a leader, poised, intelligent, hard working and a guy his teammates could rely on? Yes. My take on quarterbacks seems to be different than many people's here...

I don't want a guy with just physical attributes. I want a guy who can lead. And inspire his teammates. And be liked by his teammates. All of that is so much more important than so many people think. A QB can be a dickhead and succeed... as long as his teammates believe that he's going to do everything he can to win a game. But not being a dick helps a lot.

Smith checked every box for me. I was a fan of his on day one when we acquired him. He was too damn expensive, so I wasn't a fan of the deal. But I loved getting Alex Smith as the QB.

His story, his recovery... all of that explains why the guys played for him. It explains why he was able to have success in such a poor situation. 

I'm team Smith all the way, man. As a coach, he's the kind of guy you want to be your quarterback.

I like DH and have all the confidence in his ability to be a great QB for us. But I have to say, Alex Smith really seems like hes the absolute best fit for our situation right now. He is exactly what we need.

44 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

I like DH and have all the confidence in his ability to be a great QB for us. But I have to say, Alex Smith really seems like hes the absolute best fit for our situation right now. He is exactly what we need.

Strange comment. He's probably not ever going to play again and it's DHs job to lose.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I like the Cousins thing. Good way to put that. We won what? 3 games in a year and a half with a team Smith had in front of the division. Allen isn't the best player on the Defense, but he's the leader of it and they're all better because of him. QB is such an important position for the intangibles. Jeff George had the physical gifts, so did Jay Cutler. Physically amazing. Phil Simms had none of them. lol

Smith is just a humble team first winner that you can rally behind and be happy he's your leader. 

I'm in his corner 100%. 

Wasn't a fan of the trade or the contract, but as a stand alone player, absolutely. and I like the Snyder has and will stand behind him as well.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Strange comment. He's probably not ever going to play again and it's DHs job to lose.

Ik its unlikely he'll ever play again. My point is that with all the young talent we have on offense, his experience is exactly what we need. His ability to not necessarily light it up through the air but command an offense is a perfect fit.

Remember this, that there's a guy in Seattle that's been playing LB with about half his arm missing ; playing a position where the hands are incredibly important

Who am I to doubt Alex Smith ? I wouldn't dare count him out ; After all his near-miracles, and beating his extraordinary odds repeatedly, all his life and career.

If a guy continues to have near-miracle after near-miracle, at some point you have to pause the idea that he's just the fortunate involuntary recipient of supernatural favor, and begin to believe that he has a role in such tremendous feats, via his will and mental strength, etc.

Starting as a college freshman, Urban Meyer, who is a great judge of talent said he was "skinny, not athletic, and not a great player". Then takes a bad team and goes undefeated, next thing ya know, he's a Heisman finalist and the #1 pick in the NFL.

And when doctors told him, "we should really amputate your leg, because if we don't, you could die", Alex Smith says, "No thanks, I'll keep my leg."

And since then, he's done nothing but surpass more and more expectations in his recovery.

I can't doubt a guy, who never ceases to exceed expectations by wide margins, in trial after trial.

Not saying he will surely play again. But not going to definitively say he won't.

19 hours ago, profusion said:

Didn't watch the documentary, but I did read the accompanying piece on ESPN. Holy cow. He's a testament both to the modern medical profession and to what one man's will can accomplish.

I still don't think he gets back on the field, but I'm rooting for him.

Having watched that I would love for him to make it back and be our QB. But don't do it Alex. Just don't man. Take your money and go home.  Way too much to lose, nothing to gain. Don't do it.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I was a fan of Smith in KC. He did what Andy Reid needed done, and they had a lot of success.  The thing is, and I say this as a fan, he had to be used correctly, and you had to know what he could do and what he couldn't.  If you tried to make him do what Kirk Cousins did, you were going to fail.  If you had him do what he did well, then you had a shot. Because he could do a lot of things Cousins could not do, especially from the leadership perspective.  

In addition to the talent situation, he found himself in a situation with a coaching staff that was basically clueless.  Jay and Bill clashed on how to scheme the running game.  Jay wanted to run his scheme for the pass game, and the thought is there should be a mesh because Jay is tangentially off the Reid tree though Jon.  The play calling would have been terrible for a junior college team, let along an NFL team.  

But from the beginning, (and i mean week 2 because week 1 they played a JV team) it was clear that there was just a massive a disconnect in what Alex could do, and what Jay wanted him to do.  And instead of really trying to adapt and make things easier, they didn't.  

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

How anyone could knock what Smith was doing with this team in absolute dire situations as far as talent goes is absolutely dumbfounding to me.

He was working with an incompetent coaching staff, an incompetent and spiteful GM, and a roster full of no talent ass clowns.  The fact they were 6-3 with Greg Manusky as DC should put him straight to the HOF regardless of anything else.  

Just watched it. Wow. 

If he comes back, and the coaches feel he’s the best fit for starting QB right now, what the heck. I’m all for it. 

If the coaches feel he’s best mentoring haskins and being backup QB, I’m all for that too.

im not doubting either option. 

Alex shouldn’t ever play again unless it’s for a single snap As some sort of tribute this season. I don’t want to see him tackled again, nor does anyone want to be the one to hurt him if he were put in that position. He was brought here to groom an eventual replacement, with 2020 being the year he stepped down and became a back up. Unfortunate injury. But everyone should be greatful they saved his life and leg. Move him into the FO after 2020. 

Just watched it last night.  Wow.  When they showed the leg after they removed all the dead skin, muscle, and tissue, wow.  

I think he is a great guy, but he has tens of millions of dollars and a young family, I think he is insane to want to come back. And I don't see it happening.  Mobility was a big part of his game, that's going to be hampered.  I'm no medical expert, but I can't see how a doctor would look him in the eye and say playing QB with 300 pound bodies flying around you isn't a disastrous idea.

Great piece.  I have a ton of respect for him. He was a very good QB, but I hope he never steps on the field again.  Time to ride off into the sunset.

My favorite line from it was, "tougher than a two dollar steak." 

Seriously, I have no idea how he comes back. 

That said, I loved him as a player.  I thought he was very much in the Dilfer mode.  People who admire stats sometimes lose track of greatness.  When Smith was playing here, I compared him to Dilfer, and people thought it was a knock on him.  However, I believe Dilfer is the last QB to win 20 games in a row. 

Some people know how to play for the win, and Smith was always one of those guys.  That said, a large part of his game was scrambling to make extra time for his WR to get open.  I wonder if his leg will give him that kind of mobility again.  I also wonder if him talking to Haskins is what led to Haskins moving more in the pocket to create time and space as the season went on.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, Koolblue13 said:

How is that the bare minimum? Dislike him all you want, but he loves the team and takes care of the players. Sometimes too much.

If he cares that much, why doesn't he tour some of the nicest team headquarters and training complexes to see what other franchises have, and then tear down the current ****hole and put up the money to build the most luxurious, state-of-the-art facility in the league for the benefit of his staff and players? 

With Alex Smith working as hard as he is to come back, he deserves to go out on a better note than he did. Even if it's for one play, it would be nice to root for a classy team that allowed Alex to go out on better terms. He deserves that, not just for being an awesome and classy person throughout his NFL career but it would also be one of the best sports stories ever. Taking another NFL snap after how mangled his leg was is a bigger accomplishment than being the 1st overall pick. 

Smith got all he could get out of his career and glad he was a bigger success in Kansas City.  I think he would be a good quarterbacks coach or fit in the front

office somewhere.  He has a great support system around him to endure 17 operations as well as an extreme athlete's inner drive.  If he needs other athletic challenges

then he could start running and once he does a few marathons then he could go for a 50 mile marathon but I would stay away from the football field.  His risk

of future injury would be severe.  Glad he went to the military hospital and spoke with wounded veterans recovering from devastating injuries.

Archived