Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Project 11" Alex Smith's ESPN 30-for-30

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Project 11 has been hyped all week and comes out Friday night on ESPN at 7:30pm.  It chronicles his early career, later successes, and the utter madness surrounding his horrible injury.  It's gripping and absolutely beautiful at times.  It's also extremely graphic and viewers should be forewarned.  (Seriously... If "Gruesome" or "Grotesque" are NOT words in your personal dictionary, I would walk with caution.). 

I was lucky enough to get a viewing of the 'final cut' earlier this week.  Out of respect for the filmmakers and everyone involved, I've kept everything close to my chest.  At the same time, I cannot stop thinking about Alex and what the next chapter might be.

We are talking about one of the gnarliest sports injuries to ever take place.  (You will see what I mean.)

"Enjoy" 

I just read the ESPN insider article via his Alex's wife about the ordeal.  Unbelievable.  Scary, too.  You see injuries in games but it doesn't cross my mind that one could jeopardise your life.   

Everything I read about him before the injury and post makes him come off like one of the super nice-good guys in the NFL.    I got mixed feelings though about him trying to bounce back and play.  I love the story of it and since it fuels him, that's awesome.  And I do think he'd help this team.    I wasn't in love with his play 2 years ago but I thought he was a decent albeit not great QB and clearly a super leader-good guy.    I do think he'd be a great example for Haskins and Kyle Allen, etc and at a minimum would win the backup job.   But for him as a person -- I'd be fearful for him to get hurt again.  From what I can tell that leg might still be fragile. 

Football is awesome but it isn't life and death.  It's just a game.  And reading his story really brings that home. 

Being in the medical field, and seeing the pics of what was left of Alex's leg after all the debridements, I am amazed they were able to put enough of him back together to save the leg at all. If he never plays again, I'm just going to be happy he survived it.  

Thought I was a tough guy. I guess a self-ascribed tough guy...

Watching Alex go through what he went through and watching the military folks rehabbing just gave me another appreciation for life. 

Glad to see Alex's support system.  I hope he just enjoys his family... to heck with football. 

Really well done piece on what it means to be thankful and appreciate what you have. Life can change in an instant. Alex reminds us that the measure of a Man is far more than what you do on the field. Whatever field that may be...

No one has to sell me on Smith. I was one of his biggest backers here.

The trade for him stunk. The reasons the team had to trade for him stunk... but Alex Smith the player was much better than people gave him credit for. 

I hope he suits up in a Skins Jersey and starts a game. Even just for one play where he drops back and fires a rope. He deserves that.

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I hope he suits up in a Skins Jersey and starts a game. Even just for one play where he drops back and fires a rope. He deserves that.

For Sean Taylor, they lined up with 10 players on defense as a tribute.

Hope they do some tribute for Alex like you mentioned, if he can't make it all the way back.

But it wouldn't at all surprise me if he surpasses that, and does not even need one.

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

OMFG...

"This...is what remained of Alex's leg."

Might have been the line of the entire documentary. 

Looked like a shark attack 

My God. 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't see it.

Did he permanently lose a lot of muscle tissue in his leg ?

Looks like it. Just heard the quote "he does not have what's considered a sports injury, but a military injury ; comparable to a soldier suffering a blast"

They had to basically cut away skin and muscle for the entire front of his leg, and replaced it with muscle from other places in his body.

What they had to cut away was astonishing.

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They had to basically cut away skin and muscle for the entire front of his leg, and replaced it with muscle from other places in his body.

What they had to cut away was astonishing.

Actual muscle was transplanted ?

First time I ever heard of replanting or transplanting muscle.

It's hard to imagine muscle functioning at anywhere near a normal level, once transplanted.

Seeing the stuff he's been through, it makes it more revealing of his character, that he took the time to mentor Haskins, while basically just learning to walk again, at the same time.

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Actual muscle was transplanted ?

First time I ever heard of replanting or transplanting muscle.

It's hard to imagine muscle functioning at anywhere near a normal level, once transplanted.

Seeing the stuff he's been through, it makes it more revealing of his character, that he took the time to mentor Haskins, while basically just learning to walk again, at the same time.

What they said is they had to move some of the calf muscle from the back of his leg to the front/side, and took muscle from his other thigh to transplant as well.  

I didn’t know that was actually a thing you could do.  But I’m nowhere near the medical field.  

22 replies and not one of them about how ****ing hot his wife is.  You all disappoint me.

What an awesome documentary.  I hope non-skins fans could appreciate it as much as us.  

That pic of what was left of his leg after they finally got the infection under control... HOLY ****!

Archived