Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Some scouts say they have Dylan Moses completely off their draft boards due to medicals. I’m super wary of spending a 3rd or 4th on a guy like that. 

Thought this was interesting. It’s lying season of course so who knows, but this might be one less team to worry about picking Darrisaw. 

41 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

A fair number of people reference Moses. I honestly think he sucks. Both against the run and the pass. I don’t remember the last game I watched him in but he got picked on in the passing game. No thank you. 

I am not a big Moses guy, IMO he is sound tackler and decent pass rusher but he doesnt IMO seem to have hot instincts.  But u m gald he was mentioned it made me look at my rankings and I noticed I forgot to include him.  He was there before but I mistakingly eliminated him when I reshuffled the list. So here my redo. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 3.03.16 PM.png

Those of us looking at metrics/40-time/bench press numbers as we evaluate draft prospects should take note of the short span of time between Orlando Brown Jr putting up one of the all time worst combine/pro day performances and and now being traded for a first round pick plus a bunch.

It still kind of blows my mind that a guy who did this at his combine:

Height Weight Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yard split 20-yard split 20-yard shuttle Three-cone drill Vertical jump Broad jump Bench press
6 ft 7 78 in
(2.03 m)
345 lb
(156 kg)
35 in
(0.89 m)
9 34 in
(0.25 m)
5.85 s 2.00 s 3.29 s 5.38 s 7.87 s 25 12 in
(0.65 m)
7 ft 5 in
(2.26 m)
18 reps

Is now a two time pro bowler,

Wonder what his RAS would have been?

12 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Those of us looking at metrics/40-time/bench press numbers as we evaluate draft prospects should take note of the short span of time between Orlando Brown Jr putting up one of the all time worst combine/pro day performances and and now being traded for a first round pick plus a bunch.

How the players play obviously is the most important ingredient.  But everything being equal there is a correlatiion between athleticism and performance at that spot. 

Its like anything in life, outliers exist on just about everything but the outliers don't defeat the overall rule.  it's about playing the odds.  

7 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

It still kind of blows my mind that a guy who did this at his combine:

Height Weight Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yard split 20-yard split 20-yard shuttle Three-cone drill Vertical jump Broad jump Bench press
6 ft 7 78 in
(2.03 m)
345 lb
(156 kg)
35 in
(0.89 m)
9 34 in
(0.25 m)
5.85 s 2.00 s 3.29 s 5.38 s 7.87 s 25 12 in
(0.65 m)
7 ft 5 in
(2.26 m)
18 reps

Is now a two time pro bowler,

Wonder what his RAS would have been?

Orlando Brown RAS

orlando-brown-ras-16815.png?resize=806%2

The combo of a mid round, bigger body LB and JOK in the first is intriguing.  JOK seems like a much better version of Curl but that doesn't mean they both cant play at the same time.  I think they might have already had a JOK type spot in mind when they drafted Hudson.   He played it a little last year. 

I will admit that JOK seems like the most intimidating of all the defenders in this class.  .  Its also a huge bonus to be able to see how he matches up against the better teams.  In the Alabama game, you could see he was a factor, they really tried to stay away from him. 

JOK also has that sean taylor like instinct with the open field hitting. Nobody wants to see this guy barrelling downhill at them.  Thats the problem with the bigger LB's, you need them to be athletic, but it is still difficult come downhill on some of the NFL level playmakers in space.  They will usually be able to avoid the big hit or break a tackle.    JOK is the regulator that nobody escapes and everyone fears...I like it.    Add a MLB that can shed blocks and bring some size and it could be a best case scenario. 

I really like JOK from what I’ve seen of him. Also just found out he’s a local guy, from Hampton, VA area.

I just keep hesitating because I think he would play the same role Curl played in Nickel. I guess it would give us the flexibility to move on from Landon Collins- who wasn’t great, is coming off severe injury, and has a bad salary.

Would JOK be an upgrade over Curl at that spot? Or would Curl move to SS?

Also, if JOK is a Nickel LB for us, could we fill that role with a late round guy, or Josh Harvey Clemons? At 19, I’d like a a guy we could see as a starter and play 90%+ of snaps for us.

My heart loves JOK, but my head says take a starting CB, WR, or OT there.

I've been on the draft a CB early bandwagon ever since I've seen our 2021 schedule. Farley is such a wildcard, I wish he was healthy because he could have potentially pushed Jaycee Horn to us. We have Jackson, Fuller, and a bunch of nobodies. I'm still not even sure I totally trust Fuller on the outside yet. 

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Some scouts say they have Dylan Moses completely off their draft boards due to medicals. I’m super wary of spending a 3rd or 4th on a guy like that. 

Thought this was interesting. It’s lying season of course so who knows, but this might be one less team to worry about picking Darrisaw. 

Was on the WFT at one time.  

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I've been on the draft a CB early bandwagon ever since I've seen our 2021 schedule. Farley is such a wildcard, I wish he was healthy because he could have potentially pushed Jaycee Horn to us. We have Jackson, Fuller, and a bunch of nobodies. I'm still not even sure I totally trust Fuller on the outside yet. 

I also feel this way. We still need another good corner or 2. I wish we had a shot at Jaycee Horn.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One guy I watched some and liked -- he's more of an edge guy though some see him as a linebacker is Charles Snowden.  What made me watch was the linebacker mentions about him.  But from what I saw he played edge more.  Though it looks like he can play off the ball, too.   Basketball player convert - still learning the position but seems to have some freakish athleticism -- size-speed.  Could be like a Hasson Reddick type. 

So question, if our roster improved dramatically in recent years, and Kyle Smith was largely tasked with that, why did we get rid of him? It may be old news, but I honestly don't undestand it, at all, partly because I don't pay enough attention and am out west, partly because I think there's zero justification for it, unless we couldn't keep him no matter what we did. Anyone know why? The particulars? 

27 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I also feel this way. We still need another good corner or 2. I wish we had a shot at Jaycee Horn.

Positional value for LBs really isn't that high, you can typically always get good ones in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Most elite defenses these days actually don't have elite LBs in them that were drafted in the 1st. Most likely two of Horn, Newsome, and Farley will be there and if we drafted one of them we would have a very very legitimate secondary to go with a top DL. 

Archived