Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

I'm higher on Lance than I was in the beginning of the year, because of how much I've learned about his intangibles and pro-style preparation that includes setting protections. Plus, I'm encouraged by how he's improved his delivery from his last game to his pro days.

Wilson isn't listed as highest IQ, best deep ball or safe bet, but likeliest to win a SB?  I feel like this tweet needs a bit more juice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure Barmore is going to definitely be BPA at 19 if he is still there. 

Agreed. And we cant take him. Sad but true:

Sad But True GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edit: By the way. I am pretty much hammered. Thirsty Thursday has me in its grip. It is a beautiful thing. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the 9ers are going Lance now.

As much sense as that makes... I just cant see it in today's environment.

First round QBs play in year one, almost always. How much pressure will the 3rd pick face to play when he didn't just cost 1 high draft pick but several.

Giving up all that capital for a guy who will most likely of all top QBs need to ride the pine for a year? Almost a waste.

He is way better than Mac, but Mac is certainly more of a win now candidate.

Plus it ensures we don't get mac, so I'll happily push the narrative.

I agree that you run the card up with Devonta is there at 19 and only think twice if a team is offering you an early 2 and a future 1 to move up. 

Smith - Friermuth - Forsythe - Moses - Deablo might be my dream draft through 4 rounds. 

In my mind you’d be getting a legit WR1 to Pair with another WR1 and a high upside Samuel suddenly becomes your WR3? Friermuth Thomas and the Chilean at TE? And Forsythe as your longterm LT? Plus MLB and OLB? Smash draft. One can only pray.

Added to what’s on the roster already you could probably trade your entire 2022 draft for a QB and be perfectly stocked everywhere else. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

As much sense as that makes... I just cant see it in today's environment.

First round QBs play in year one, almost always. How much pressure will the 3rd pick face to play when he didn't just cost 1 high draft pick but several.

Giving up all that capital for a guy who will most likely of all top QBs need to ride the pine for a year? Almost a waste.

He is way better than Mac, but Mac is certainly more of a win now candidate.

Plus it ensures we don't get mac, so I'll happily push the narrative.

He is way better than Mac how exactly? Just curious. I mean Jones won a National Championship while shredding pretty much every defense he faced. Lance won nothing at all. NOTHING. Is Lance a prettier player? Yep. Is he a winner? Who the hell knows. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

He is way better than Mac how exactly? Just curious. I mean Jones won a National Championship while shredding pretty much every defense he faced. Lance won nothing at all. NOTHING. Is Lance a prettier player? Yep. Is he a winner? Who the hell knows. 

Well, he did win the championship in his division in 2019 and was the MVP in that game. I don’t think it’s crazy to think that Trey Lance could have had similar success as Mac Jones with that Alabama supporting cast. Mac Jones hasn’t played that many more games than him either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Davonta Smith is a straight baller, any team that gets him gets a pure football player

Yea its kind of wild how people are talking about him putting on weight in the NFL, like he is work in progress or something. This guy doesnt need to add anything, he is a finished product, and he is one of the best ever.  If he needed extra pounds im sure they know how to do that at Alabama.  The last thing he needs is to come to the NFL and start changing what works.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Well, he did win the championship in his division in 2019 and was the MVP in that game. I don’t think it’s crazy to think that Trey Lance could have had similar success as Mac Jones with that Alabama supporting cast. Mac Jones hasn’t played that many more games than him either. 

That is fair. One of my big concerns with Lance is they played one game this year against Central Arkansas so Lance could showcase his ability. And he looked like ****. What is he going to look like against an NFL defense? I am definitely one of the most down on Lance in this thread. But it is for good reason IMO. He proved nothing in college. If he falls to 19 fine take him. But please god dont give up future draft capital to draft the guy. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the 9ers are going Lance now. Maybe Fields drops to 8 and we move up for him.

Mort said last night in the ESPN live mock draft that he is 90% confident the Niners take Mac Jones....the others agreed with him for the most part. Did you hear something today or from another source that they're on Lance now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Mort said last night in the ESPN live mock draft that he is 90% confident the Niners take Mac Jones....the others agreed with him for the most part. Did you hear something today or from another source that they're on Lance now?

There were reports surfacing of 9ers brass meeting with Lance and his parents today and being blown away by him.

Honestly though I have no clue.

19 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I'm just gonna play devils advocate with you....we thought we had gold in RGlll and he flashed early before quickly being injured and pretty much done. I know they play different positons and that Smith is a stud, but being slight of frame in the NFL is not good. I look at Brandon Cooks and other speed guys and see how banged up they get. I like Smith a lot but I'd go for a bigger guy with all the intangibles like DK Metcalf with all things being equal. 

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There were reports surfacing of 9ers brass meeting with Lance and his parents today and being blown away by him.

Honestly though I have no clue.

Well if they met with Lance's parents that's pretty interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That is fair. One of my big concerns with Lance is they played one game this year against Central Arkansas so Lance could showcase his ability. And he looked like ****. What is he going to look like against an NFL defense? I am definitely one of the most down on Lance in this thread. But it is for good reason IMO. He proved nothing in college. If he falls to 19 fine take him. But please god dont give up future draft capital to draft the guy. 

I'm with you partway--I actually kind of like Lance's game.  I see the upside that have people falling in love with him.  But the risk he carries as a 20 year old with minimal reps at a lower level of the sport makes my stomach hurt.  We need to get this QB pick right, and I don't want to be trading a bunch of picks to make the choice even more fraught.

• Like 2

Anyone who knows DJ knows he tries to be as balanced and fair as possible. How was his lack of excitement about Lance showing here before the draft mania took hold? I actually respect DJ a lot. The guy is a straight shooter until the rest of the media has their claws into who should be the top players in the draft. If you know him you know this article was not a good thing for Lance. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/five-takeaways-from-trey-lance-s-showcase-game

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Anyone who knows DJ knows he tries to be as balanced and fair as possible. How was his lack of excitement about Lance showing here before the draft mania took hold? I actually respect DJ a lot. The guy is a straight shooter until the rest of the media has their claws into who should be the top players in the draft. If you know him you know this article was not a good thing for Lance. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/five-takeaways-from-trey-lance-s-showcase-game

How is this not a good article for Lance? He said Lance is really good and somewhere in between Andrew Luck and Dak Prescott. I’m all for that at the right price. 

6 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

How is this not a good article for Lance? He said Lance is really good and somewhere in between Andrew Luck and Dak Prescott. I’m all for that at the right price. 

There was some rust to knock off, which is something I expected with this being his first game after such an unusual offseason. He missed on a couple deep balls that I'm sure he'd like to have back, lost a fumble and threw the first interception of his career on Saturday in his 17th career start.

NDSU trailed by three early in the fourth quarter......AGAINST NOBODY.

There's still room for improvement for him in a lot of areas

He has the ability to impact a game even when he misses some throws

I compared Lance to Andrew Luck after studying him this summer. However, I can't remember Luck missing some of the layups that Lance missed in this game.

Basically. DJ played the safe card here. He buried his jabs in a mostly positive article when Lance was not good at all. He beat a very bad team in the 4th. BARELY. 

• Like 1

@clskinsfan

I read it differently. It comes across as reporting on early stumbles but pulling back and making an evaluation on his production and abilities over 17 games. I think Lance has great traits, the right intangibles, and some base level experience with a pro system, plus evidence of improvement to his mechanics with his throwing motion. 

There is a lot to feel good about when projecting future success. He does need to work on his progressions and provide a larger sample size of high difficulty throws, but he also has the physical tools to lean on while adapting. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There will always be a place for running the ball, but ultimately if you don't have at least a good QB you're screwed.

You can point to the Titans with Derrick Henry, but he didn't take off and they didn't start winning games until they started Ryan Tannehill who has been a fringe top 10 QB in the league since he took over in Tennessee. You can look at the other good backs on winning teams and see similar trends. Kamara had Drew Brees. Zeke has Dak. Chubb has Mayfield(not a star but definitely solid starter at the least). Jones has Rodgers. Cook has Cousins. Just about every good RB is on a team with at least above average if not better QB play. Its a lot easier to run the ball when teams have to at least respect your passing game.

I didn't say that. In fact, I pointed out that the old three yards and a cloud of dust teams grinding out low scoring wins is pretty much a thing of the past. We have Fitzmagic for now. He's serviceable. He's a more than adequate placeholder until we find the guy. In the meantime, it would be helpful to have as many different weapons as possible and the players to play to other teams' weaknesses.

Just listened to a little segment on John Keim’s IG that our team likes how Landon Collins is recovering from his injury and are thinking of having him play the Big Nickel and WILL. If that is the case then this might make them more likely to take Jamin Davis over JOK because he has more position flex at LB and could eventually take over for Jon Bostic. If this is true, I hope they trade down a little before making the pick. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 7