Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

23 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Some interesting tidbits in there. I am curious to see where Walker Little goes. Wasn't he a top prospect coming out of high school? You'd be making a big bet on him given how little he's played over the last two years, but he could have massive upside. I don't see him going much earlier than Round 3 ... sometimes as late as Round 5. Could be a name to watch if we miss out on the position early.

I think my top choice by round based on who COULD be there.

1: Christian Darrisaw

2: Alex Leatherwood

3: Stone Forsythe

4: Walker Little

I would be happy with a lot of these guys on the list. There's some upside throughout the class. Fortunately we are in a position to develop a LT too. Lucas is a perfectly fine solution there in 2021 ... and Saahdiq Charles is still an option too depending on how he develops. But having Forsythe + Charles as developmental Tackles to push Lucas would be really nice. Of course, also having Darrisaw at LT would be sweet.

I like both of those first two options, but I feel like both of them will go earlier in those rounds.  I’d be really happy with the Stanford tackle even if we have to take him in the third.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who has suggested Collins play linebacker?

It was mentioned numerous times before my post, I was just mainly asking you guys what the downside is to having Curl and Collins as our starting safeties going into the year. 

Curl seems like he could adapt to a more FS role, while Collins can still play SS in the box and at the Los. My football knowledge pales in comparison to you guys so I was just wondering 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, max21 said:

It was mentioned numerous times before my post, I was just mainly asking you guys what the downside is to having Curl and Collins as our starting safeties going into the year. 

Curl seems like he could adapt to a more FS role, while Collins can still play SS in the box and at the Los. My football knowledge pales in comparison to you guys so I was just wondering 

I don't know enough about Curl to say whether or not he could play FS next to Collins at SS.

But don't underestimate and/or forget about Jeremy Reaves. He was the #4 rated safety by PFF last year, ahead of Curl even. Wanting to give Reaves a chance to prove he can live up to that again leads to Malik Hooker or Tre Boston post-draft as guys we can add to supplement him at FS. Or draft a guy like Shaun Wade in the 4th or 5th if he falls to that range ... someone that can play CB or FS and has some position versatility.

But a Reaves-Curl safety tandem with Collins as a nickelbacker isn't terrible. Or Reaves and Collins at Safety with Curl as a coverage/nickelbacker.

Tre Boston is a deep safety ... as is Malik Hooker ... so those two would fit well as pure FS letting you be creative in how you use Reaves/Curl/Collins

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I like both of those first two options, but I feel like both of them will go earlier in those rounds.  I’d be really happy with the Stanford tackle even if we have to take him in the third.

We have the benefit of drafting Little and grooming him at LT. At the range he's likely to be picked, you can always take some extra time to develop him beyond 2021 or even slide him to RT if that's where he fits best and possibly slide Moses to LT on an extension.

We are in a good position of needing a long-term LT solution in a deep OT draft while also having a 2021 in-house candidate in Corn Lucas and a possible developmental LT already in Charles.

Lucas - Schweizer - Roullier - Scherff - Moses is not a bad starting OL. In fact, that's the OL that finished 6th in the league last year. Add Walker Little to Saahdiq Charles as long-term options at either tackle spot, and you're in pretty good shape. Add Christian Darrisaw at 19 and you're set at OT long-term and have a one-year swing tackle in Lucas and a backup in Charles, while also exploring the options for Charles at LG or RG.

I think we should draft an IOL and OT in this draft because both are so deep. Adding Darrisaw + Trey Smith in rounds 1 and 3 ... or Smith and Little in Rounds 3 and 4 ... either way you slice it, the OL is set with youth and upside for quite some time, even if you let Scherff and Lucas walk after this year.

• Like 4

I have my doubts that Collins will suddenly turn it around and actually live up to his contract, especially after this type of injury. I like the idea of keeping Curl at SS where we know he is good and giving Reeves and/or a rookie the FS job.  

I saw someone mention that this is a good OT draft. Is it?  I know it's deep but I didn't get the impression it was a great tackle draft at the top when compared to other years.  I'm also in the camp that recognized that Lucas played pretty damned well there, and then there is also the Charles possibility.  So as much as I'd love another Jim Lachey to anchor that line for a decade I don't see one at 19, I'm not sure this is the immediate need others do.

I do however see an absolutely terrible linebacking situation with no player like a Charles as a possibility. So to me LB is by far the biggest need on the team, then they should be looking at OG as I think we all realize this is probably the last year for Scherff here.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

Dream scenario:

1: Christian Darrisaw, OT VT

3: Trey Smith, Guard Tennessee

Next best:

2: Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

Still really good:

3: Stone Forsythe, OT Florida

Still really awesome and I'd be happy:

4: Walker Little, OT Stanford

Another 2 alternatives that would still work nicely ...

1: AVT, G USC

3: Fortsythe, Little - OT

1: Jenkins, G Oklahoma State

3: Forsythe, Little - OT

Can you tell I like Trey Smith? It's weird, he had massive hype going into the season as the IOL1 and now he's being mocked in Rounds 3-5. But I saw Fred Smoot has Trey Smith has his #5 overall OL behind Sewell/Slater/Darrisaw/Leatherwood. I know it's Smoot, but football people in house might still really like Smith, and he could still go early. Most of the top IOL other than AVT are slated for Center, which we don't need. ALso, shouldn't forget about last year's 5th, G/C Keith Ismael

If we come out of the draft with Darrisaw and Smith our OL will be absolutely elite in 2022 even without Scherff assuming those 2 deliver. Take the $$ allocated to Scherff LTD and start extending the DL. Or you could keep Scherff on the LTD and have Charles/Smith battle it out at LG ... and if SMith wins, Charles could be penciled in to Moses' spot after he leaves.

A lot of this probably depends on how the staff feels about Charles and whether he's a LT, RT or Guard. We really don't know much at this point where they plan for him longterm.

Darrisaw - Charles - Roullier - Smith - Moses would be affordable and very good in 2022.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My take on the LBs, I didn't dive too hard into the mid round-late round guys but watched them some, so my opinions aren't too hard on what I perceive to be the 5th-7th round guys.  I like some players more than most, some less, some I fell into what most mock drafters think

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 7.54.43 AM.png

I've been on Barnes from Purdue for a while now. He may be my favorite of the mid round LBs. In my opinion he's worth a 3rd with his flexibility to play Mike, Sam, and rush the passer. He's a high energy, downhill, tackling machine. 

If we miss out of the top crop of LBS, and maybe even if we get a Will backer early, Barnes would be a great mid round selection. Not a project or developmental player but one who actually has the opportunity to be a starter.

• Like 5

This could be an interesting situation for our chances of a tackle at 19. If the Ravens trade Brown to the Panthers, Chargers or Vikings we could see Darrisaw slip to us, particularly if the Ravens then sign Villanueva to play RT and thus take them out of the running for a R1 OT.

My guess is the Vikings would have to swap 1's or give up next year's 1 without their 2nd rounder.

The Chargers pick at #13 might be too rich, and I don't know if they would want to trade out of #13 even if they got Brown. So maybe sending their 2nd and a future 2nd to Baltimore for him? Probably something similar with the Panthers if they get Brown and can retain #8 and go for a LB or Pitts.

I think Dallas takes Slater if he's there at #10, but wouldn't take Darrisaw. So I think we want the Ravens to trade Brown to the Chargers for a 2 this and 2 next year. Then the Chargers are out of the running for Darrisaw at #13. The Vikings could take Darrisaw, but they might rather go IOL with AVT or a CB like Horn. So that would potentially result in Darrisaw falling down to WFT at 19. I think the Raiders are a candidate for an OL, but probably a guy like AVT or Jenkins to play either RT or Guard, since they're set at LT with Kolton Miller.

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. SF - Fields

4. ATL - Pitts

5. CIN - Sewell

6. MIA - Chase

7. NE - Lance*

8. CAR - Slater

9. DEN - Parsons

10. DAL - Surtain

11. NYG - Waddle

12. CHI - Jones*

13. LAC - Horn

14. MIN - AVT

15. DET - Devonta Smith

16. ARI - Farley

17. LV - Jenkins

18. MIA - Phillips

19. WFT - Darrisaw

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

I suspect Brown would allow the Ravens to jump from their first rounder.  The issue is that you need to find a dance partner.  I don't see Indy trading their 1st (they need some young talent as Buckner cost them a 1st last year and Wentz likely costs them a first next year).  

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm reading the tea-leaves a bit with Eichenberg going late 1st. I guess he's a trade-back option for us in Round 1 ... Leatherwood very well could be gone too. I'm finding in some of these simulators that both are gone by pick 51, and no obvious choice presents itself more often than not at that point. So if we still haven't drafted an OT through 2 rounds, I would expect one of our 3rds could go to a Forsythe, Brown type ... or in Round 4 Walker Little, etc.

We have one ace in the hole.  If we don't get an Left OT we have been rumored to be high on Alejandro Villanueva from the Steelers and possibly signing him. :)  You are correct about Eich and Leatherwood though.  Mocks do have them very likely being gone in the 2nd and we might have to move back up in the late 1st, if RR and Co. make that move to get them.  

Edited by RWJ

Pretty sure they like Koramaoh.  I listened to back to back podcasts from Keim. In the first one he said the linebacker they take would likely be one who could play Mike.  Then his follow up one said he assumed they'd be out on Koramoah with Collins coming back but he's wrong about that.  He talked about taking Koramoah and then taking a Mike LB later on in the draft.  Clearly he was telegraphing he knows they are high on him.  @KDawgmight like this next part.  Then Keim goes Werner fits what they likely like in a Mike and he can be had after the first.  That's the 2nd time Keim has dropped Werner's name.  Keim rarely drops names for no reason.  Keim is not always right but he is right more than the typical beat guy from my recollections. 

The Athletic below

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.20.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.20.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.21.46 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This could be an interesting situation for our chances of a tackle at 19. If the Ravens trade Brown to the Panthers, Chargers or Vikings we could see Darrisaw slip to us, particularly if the Ravens then sign Villanueva to play RT and thus take them out of the running for a R1 OT.

My guess is the Vikings would have to swap 1's or give up next year's 1 without their 2nd rounder.

The Chargers pick at #13 might be too rich, and I don't know if they would want to trade out of #13 even if they got Brown. So maybe sending their 2nd and a future 2nd to Baltimore for him? Probably something similar with the Panthers if they get Brown and can retain #8 and go for a LB or Pitts.

I think Dallas takes Slater if he's there at #10, but wouldn't take Darrisaw. So I think we want the Ravens to trade Brown to the Chargers for a 2 this and 2 next year. Then the Chargers are out of the running for Darrisaw at #13. The Vikings could take Darrisaw, but they might rather go IOL with AVT or a CB like Horn. So that would potentially result in Darrisaw falling down to WFT at 19. I think the Raiders are a candidate for an OL, but probably a guy like AVT or Jenkins to play either RT or Guard, since they're set at LT with Kolton Miller.

1. Jax - Lawrence

2. Jets - Wilson

3. SF - Fields

4. ATL - Pitts

5. CIN - Sewell

6. MIA - Chase

7. NE - Lance*

8. CAR - Slater

9. DEN - Parsons

10. DAL - Surtain

11. NYG - Waddle

12. CHI - Jones*

13. LAC - Horn

14. MIN - AVT

15. DET - Devonta Smith

16. ARI - Farley

17. LV - Jenkins

18. MIA - Phillips

19. WFT - Darrisaw

All day long, JM!  We land Darrisaw at #19, I'm extremely happy.  :)  Fills the biggest need on the team other than LB.  We go LB in the 2nd round and my flavor is Cox or Werner according to availability and ranking.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pretty sure they like Koramaoh.  I listened to back to back podcasts from Keim. In the first one he said the linebacker they take would likely be one who could play Mike.  Then his follow up one said he assumed they'd be out on Koramoah with Collins coming back but he's wrong about that.  He talked about taking Koramoah and then taking a Mike LB later on in the draft.  Clearly he was telegraphing he knows they are high on him.  @KDawgmight like this next part.  Then Keim goes Werner fits what they likely like in a Mike and he can be had after the first.  That's the 2nd time Keim has dropped Werner's name.  Keim rarely drops names for no reason.  Keim is not always right but he is right more than the typical beat guy from my recollections. 

The Athletic below

I got JOK, SIP.  To me, when watching tape of both, he seems special and stands out compared to the rest.  That's just me though.  :)  There's a reason he won the Butkus Award. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Athletic below

Let me add and probably have posted this same thing.  I would absolutely be astonished and thrilled if we could land both JOK with our 1st and Werner with one of our 3rds!  :)

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

I really hope we don’t take JOK or Davis at 19. Both would be reaches at a lesser valued position.

How can the Butkus Award (JOK) winner be a reach at #19, man?  Please explain.  Don't tell me about his weight being an issue either.  He can put on 10 lbs easy and still keep his quickness and speed.  

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

All day long, JM!  We land Darrisaw at #19, I'm extremely happy.  :)  Fills the biggest need on the team other than LB.  We go LB in the 2nd round and my flavor is Cox or Werner according to availability and ranking.

I got JOK, SIP.  To me, when watching tape of both, he seems special and stands out compared to the rest.  That's just me though.  :)  There's a reason he won the Butkus Award. 

Darrisaw and Koramoah would be my top wants at 19.  They are both high profile though -- not sure if that translates or not to them going before 19.  Will see.   I was upset when they didn't take Derwin James years back, this would make up for it. 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

How can the Butkus Award (JOK) winner be a reach at #19, man?  Please explain.  Don't tell me about his weight being an issue either.  He can put on 10 lbs easy and still keep his quickness and speed.  

221 pounds which he weighed at during his pro day is fine IMO to play the role that he played. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Darrisaw and Koramoah would be my top wants at 19.  They are both high profile though -- not sure if that translates or not to them going before 19.  Will see.   I was upset when they didn't take Derwin James years back, this would make up for it. 

Brother you and I are in total agreement on our 1st round choice and want!  :)  JOK is more possible than Darrisaw unfortunately or shall I say in terms of need, I think as I believe we need a blindside protector more so than LB but both are are biggest need, IMO. I believe but your thoughts on being able to draft Werner in the 3rd?  I think our LB core could be special with both JOK and Werner.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 3

To add more from the Keim podcast, he believes that the QB they'd trade up for is Fields not Lance.  So now that's him, Standig and Sheehan who thinks its Fields.

He also doubled down on them trading down if they can because they have a slew of prospects they like in the late first/early 2nd range and there is a value to accumulating 2022 draft capital.  He mentioned before to get the ammunition to trade for a Qb in 2022, this time he mentioned that a number of big junior prospects didn't come out in the 2021 draft and there is some hype about the talent in the 2022 draft plus it should be an easier group to scout than the 2021 group. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Brother you and I are in total agreement on our 1st round choice and want!  :)  JOK is more possible than Darrisaw unfortunately or shall I say in terms of need, I think as I believe we need a blindside protector more so than LB but both are are biggest need, IMO. I believe but your thoughts on being able to draft Werner in the 3rd?  I think our LB core could be special with both JOK and Werner.  

JOK and Werner would be good together IMO.  I think there is a decent shot Werner is there with our early 3rd. 

If I could have my Christmas wish list, WFT spends the next 6 days talking and prepping with Jaguars, Jets, Falcons and Dolphins about a trade out (Most ideally with Jags and Jets unless Atlanta spends a first this year on a QB).  We give up 19 for their 2nd round pick (33, 34, 35, or 36) and in return take their 2022 first round pick.  That gives us two firsts next year to make the QB of the future happen in potential trade-ups in the draft....or if things go perfectly, won't even have to trade up if the first round pick ends up being a top 10 or possibly top 5 pick.  Looking at the top of the second round this year, in my analysis (which could possibly be described as talentless, obtuse and possibly reckless),  there is not a substantial difference in talent from pick 19 for our needs.  The team that I could see considering this the most would be Miami.    That would allow them some fun back-to-back picks at 18-19 including a play for Najee Harris.  And psychologically speaking, Miami probably feels they are close to contending and their first won't be a low pick next year.  True, there is a risk of losing value if Miami does reach the playoffs but that's a risk worth taking.   Delayed gratification...not a popular thought but I believe the most efficient way to build long-term with the most value.    

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think there is a legit concern that he is a tweener and does not have a position. That would be my only concern but the possibilities are intriguing for sure.  From the article posted earlier one scout said "he's not going to weight 225-230. So what is he?"  

5 minutes ago, slidegood said:

If I could have my Christmas wish list, WFT spends the next 6 days talking and prepping with Jaguars, Jets, Falcons and Dolphins about a trade out (Most ideally with Jags and Jets unless Atlanta spends a first this year on a QB).  We give up 19 for their 2nd round pick (33, 34, 35, or 36) and in return take their 2022 first round pick.  That gives us two firsts next year to make the QB of the future happen in potential trade-ups in the draft....or if things go perfectly, won't even have to trade up if the first round pick ends up being a top 10 or possibly top 5 pick.  Looking at the top of the second round this year, in my analysis (which could possibly be described as talentless, obtuse and possibly reckless),  there is not a substantial difference in talent from pick 19 for our needs.  The team that I could see considering this the most would be Miami.    That would allow them some fun back-to-back picks at 18-19 including a play for Najee Harris.  And psychologically speaking, Miami probably feels they are close to contending and their first won't be a low pick next year.  True, there is a risk of losing value if Miami does reach the playoffs but that's a risk worth taking.   Delayed gratification...not a popular thought but I believe the most efficient way to build long-term with the most value.    

Keim, whose opinion I trust, mentioned a few times that they may look to trade back and add future draft capital.  I would love this actually, pick up a high second and quite possibly a high first next season.