Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

52 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I really like JOK from what I’ve seen of him. Also just found out he’s a local guy, from Hampton, VA area.

I just keep hesitating because I think he would play the same role Curl played in Nickel. I guess it would give us the flexibility to move on from Landon Collins- who wasn’t great, is coming off severe injury, and has a bad salary.

Would JOK be an upgrade over Curl at that spot? Or would Curl move to SS?

Also, if JOK is a Nickel LB for us, could we fill that role with a late round guy, or Josh Harvey Clemons? At 19, I’d like a a guy we could see as a starter and play 90%+ of snaps for us.

My heart loves JOK, but my head says take a starting CB, WR, or OT there.

People are overthinking JOK. He’s a playmaker. You want as many as you can get. 

Just weighed 221 at pro day. No reason to think he can’t play at 225-230 down the road. 

Get him and plug in at Will. 

21 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

So question, if our roster improved dramatically in recent years, and Kyle Smith was largely tasked with that, why did we get rid of him? It may be old news, but I honestly don't undestand it, at all, partly because I don't pay enough attention and am out west, partly because I think there's zero justification for it, unless we couldn't keep him no matter what we did. Anyone know why? The particulars? 

IDK the particulars but something just didn't jive between him and Ron.  You look at those PFF ranks and the Browns are #2 I think.  John Dorsey is responsible for most of their talent and he got canned by the Browns and the Chiefs which he played a big role in building up the that Chiefs roster also.  But he was considered some what of an asshole who kept things to himself.  Kyle's father was the same way so maybe Kyle has those same traits.  I think Ron just wants trust between him and the FO.  

43 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

So question, if our roster improved dramatically in recent years, and Kyle Smith was largely tasked with that, why did we get rid of him? It may be old news, but I honestly don't undestand it, at all, partly because I don't pay enough attention and am out west, partly because I think there's zero justification for it, unless we couldn't keep him no matter what we did. Anyone know why? The particulars? 

No one knows for sure.  But the prevailing speculation from beat guys is it centers on Kyle Smith is close with Bruce Allen.  Kyle's dad is one of Bruce's closest friends.  Bruce apparently has been trying to take down Dan's ownership via various leaks/stories and there is litigation involved.  So perhaps Dan wants to remove strong ties to Bruce in that building.

Gribble who ran college scouting last year and was the lead guy for the draft is still there.  And he was Kyle's chosen guy.

Beat guys have said Kyle and Rivera got along well. 

I also think its possible we may have overstated Kyle Smith's abilities. I mean its not like any other teams were rushing to sign him when there were a LOT of GM openings this past year. He ended up making a lateral move signing for the same job with the Falcons.

There is more to being a GM than just being able to draft players and I don't think he was responsible for every successful pick. Even last year by all counts it was Scott Turner who banged the table for Antonio Gibson and Chase Young was a slam dunk pick that noone would screw up.

Its difficult to judge draft success overall because its hard to know exactly who was in the draft room banging the table for which guy.  Only coaches and front office know the real hit and miss rates in a draft room, where many have input.  Sometimes we hear leaks about who liked who but only half the story.  Was Kyle making all the picks? Did he even have final say?  Hard to know, but it does look they had success.

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I also think its possible we may have overstated Kyle Smith's abilities. I mean its not like any other teams were rushing to sign him when there were a LOT of GM openings this past year. He ended up making a lateral move signing for the same job with the Falcons.

There is more to being a GM than just being able to draft players and I don't think he was responsible for every successful pick. Even last year by all counts it was Scott Turner who banged the table for Antonio Gibson and Chase Young was a slam dunk pick that noone would screw up.

The truth is, we really don't know either way. We have been doing relatively well at drafting with Kyle Smith in the position he was in, was he responsible for it all? Probably not, like you said, but altering a formula that appears to be working is always a risk. 

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Dream scenario:

1: Christian Darrisaw, OT VT

3: Trey Smith, Guard Tennessee

Next best:

2: Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

Still really good:

3: Stone Forsythe, OT Florida

Still really awesome and I'd be happy:

4: Walker Little, OT Stanford

Another 2 alternatives that would still work nicely ...

1: AVT, G USC

3: Fortsythe, Little - OT

1: Jenkins, G Oklahoma State

3: Forsythe, Little - OT

Can you tell I like Trey Smith? It's weird, he had massive hype going into the season as the IOL1 and now he's being mocked in Rounds 3-5. But I saw Fred Smoot has Trey Smith has his #5 overall OL behind Sewell/Slater/Darrisaw/Leatherwood. I know it's Smoot, but football people in house might still really like Smith, and he could still go early. Most of the top IOL other than AVT are slated for Center, which we don't need. ALso, shouldn't forget about last year's 5th, G/C Keith Ismael

If we come out of the draft with Darrisaw and Smith our OL will be absolutely elite in 2022 even without Scherff assuming those 2 deliver. Take the $$ allocated to Scherff LTD and start extending the DL. Or you could keep Scherff on the LTD and have Charles/Smith battle it out at LG ... and if SMith wins, Charles could be penciled in to Moses' spot after he leaves.

A lot of this probably depends on how the staff feels about Charles and whether he's a LT, RT or Guard. We really don't know much at this point where they plan for him longterm.

Darrisaw - Charles - Roullier - Smith - Moses would be affordable and very good in 2022.

I am with you on Trey Smith at OG. Also, I love Quinn Meinerz at OC because he can play OG as well. I know people like Walker Little, but James Hudson is better in my book, even though he's a RT. 

I just did a PFN mock that you would like:

#19 Greg Newsome II CB
#51 Trey Smith OG

#74 Nick Bolton LB
#82 Tommy Tremble TE
#124 James Hudson OT
#163 Chuba Hubbard RB
#244 Shane Buchele QB
#246 Jalen Camp WR

I am finding it hard to just stick to our picks without trading back. But with what everyone is saying, it might be hard to find trade partners in RD1. Also, if Darrisaw is gone, but a future all-pro like Newsome is there at a position of need, I am taking him. With Newsome  on the outside, Kendall Fuller can play slot.  

Reaves played well but we can't bank on that same kind of success again. Its like Lucas at LT. You gotta figure teams will figure some stuff out with an offseason to watch film. I'd definitely consider FS a position to upgrade, but its below OT and LB.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a big Moses guy, IMO he is sound tackler and decent pass rusher but he doesnt IMO seem to have hot instincts.  But u m gald he was mentioned it made me look at my rankings and I noticed I forgot to include him.  He was there before but I mistakingly eliminated him when I reshuffled the list. So here my redo. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 3.03.16 PM.png

According to this list, Monty Rice is a middle round stud!

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Hypothetically, would you trade 19+51 for 27+31?  If no edges are gone before 19, I could see Baltimore trading up to get Phillips or Paye ( edge is their #1 need).  

That’s a very interesting trade as its nearly equal on the trade chart. 

I say yes, because it gives you a pair of 1’s and you can leverage 31 to trade out of round 1 to a team looking to get a 5th year option. So you could get an early 2 and a future 2 or a 3 this year. 

BUT you could also stay there and get one of the LBs that fall. Or you could double dip on defense and go Moehrig and Davis or Collins and then turn attention to offense with 3/3/4 picks.

If it’s for an Edge I absolutely do it because it’s likely the #2 DE is there if not #1 depending on Miami at 18 ... BUT if it’s for a WR I say no. Because that likely means Devonta Smith is on the board and I’m not trading access to him and 51 for 27+31. I’m taking Smith and being patient until 51. If someone I really like is still there late 1st I trade 2+3 to get back into 1 

Couple nuggets from Twitter feed this mock. This one feels good. Trades are obviously nearly impossible to predict. But if I had to stake some $$ on a mock I’d probably stake it on this one. Check it out. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/2f9zaCatJV

Keep coming back to the PFF article about Detroit having by far the worst roster in the NFL and likely to have a top pick next year. And while they could easily go OT at 7, the idea of them trading out with us and having 1/2/3/3/4/5 this year + 1/1/1/2/3/ next year might be enticing for a new front office. Start building the roster over the next 3 years and having that many Day 1/2 picks would be really enticing to their FO. 

Random thought from someone that’s always been a trade down guy ...  but we have seen the impact a true blue chip talent has on this roster. If any of the blue chip players (QB included) start to slide we should be looking to trade up to grab them. This includes Smith, Waddle, Sewell, Darrisaw and Parsons. Would love to add one from this draft and leverage our extra 3 in the process. Easier said than done, but just a random thought. 

If the medical check out I would also include Farley in that discussion although he could be there for us at 19. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Couple nuggets from Twitter feed this mock. This one feels good. Trades are obviously nearly impossible to predict. But if I had to stake some $$ on a mock I’d probably stake it on this one. Check it out. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/2f9zaCatJV

Keep coming back to the PFF article about Detroit having by far the worst roster in the NFL and likely to have a top pick next year. And while they could easily go OT at 7, the idea of them trading out with us and having 1/2/3/3/4/5 this year + 1/1/1/2/3/ next year might be enticing for a new front office. Start building the roster over the next 3 years and having that many Day 1/2 picks would be really enticing to their FO. 

I have a tough time accepting any mock that has neither JOK or Zaven Collins in the first round. 

:229:The Rook

1 minute ago, The Rook said:

I have a tough time accepting any mock that has neither JOK or Zaven Collins in the first round. 

I hear you. I tried to fit them in but there were better fits in the 20’s that dropped them to Round 2. I guess we’ll see how things unfold. But you’re right that they deserve and likely end up in there somewhere. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I hear you. I tried to fit them in but there were better fits in the 20’s that dropped them to Round 2. I guess we’ll see how things unfold. But you’re right that they deserve and likely end up in there somewhere. 

That's cool.  I've seen them both mocked in mid-teens to 2nd round.  Just not both in teens or in the second.  This could be a funky draft - past the first three QB selections (regardless of which is third) it is tough to decide what is "chalk". 

Gotta love it. :PartialQuaintKangaroo-small:

Archived