Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, duffy said:

Mills is one of my favorite QBs outside of the top 5, but I really don't want a QB in the third or earlier. There's just too many other positions I would like to fill. But I have a feeling we're going to take him with one of the 3rds if he's available. So I watched a highlight video... 

... and I do like what I see. But what really stood out to me was Simi Fehoko. I wouldn't be upset at all if we took this kid in the draft. 

Mills has, in my opinion, franchise potential.  I still have some question marks on his play...cause 2020 was shortened, and there's barely any cutups and I can find little of anything but snippets of All-22.  But I'm flip-flopping around on him being a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder.  Regardless, I want him on the WFT, because I think his potential is up there.

Just not in the Rodgers/Mahomes mold.  More of the Peyton mold.  I really like how he processes.

• Like 4

Cooley on Sheehan saying he thinks Lance could fall to Broncos at 9 and he definitely thinks Fields falls to 9. Said if Denver takes either one, WFT should offer a 3 for Lock. He thinks he flashes enough and fits in the offense and it’s a low cost.

If the draft goes Lawrence Wilson Jones Pitts Sewell Chase Parsons Slater ... that’s some good stuff for us. We gotta hope even if Denver goes QB that nobody trades with the NFC East teams and we can send Minnesota a 1+3 and a 2022 2 for 13 and take one of the fallers. I do think the Bears may try and leapfrog and trade with one of the 3 NFC East teams tho 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Mills has, in my opinion, franchise potential.  I still have some question marks on his play...cause 2020 was shortened, and there's barely any cutups and I can find little of anything but snippets of All-22.  But I'm flip-flopping around on him being a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder.  Regardless, I want him on the WFT, because I think his potential is up there.

Just not in the Rodgers/Mahomes mold.  More of the Peyton mold.  I really like how he processes.

I like Mills too. Wilson is my #1 though. Former QB J.T O'Sullivan has a YouTube channel called QB School where he breaks down most of the top QB's in this class if you're interested. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

You know, I’m starting to think there is VERY real value in Dylan Moses especially if he falls to the 3rd/4th. Dude took awhile to find a groove last year but he got better every week coming off of a major injury. He could wind up being a big time steal.

Before the 2019 season he was my first round crush for WFT. It was a crusher to hear the day before the season opener that he tore his ACL.

It took most of this season but he began to look himself in the last couple games. Since the interior LB's are weak in this draft, I don't think he makes it to the 4th round but he could def be a steal even in the 3rd. I think he would thrive with our staff and that DL in front of him.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

That article SIP posted makes me want Jamin Davis now. The best of both worlds at LB maybe? 🤔

It sure leaves you understanding why WFT is interested in him. Also, will ease your mind  if they were to grab him early even though he has such experience

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, got it, I posted this one before

Coach Dungy called him Wow instead of Woo!  :)

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, got it, I posted this one before

Thanks, SIP!  :)

• Like 1

I figure safety will be addressed in the 3-5 rounds. Two guys I like that don't get much play here are Hufanga and Wiggins, although I did see @RWJjust mocked Huf.

The thing with Wiggins is similar to Dylan Moses, he is coming back from a knee. Could be a steal or a bust I guess. Prior to the injury he would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Casserly with his latest mock:

https://www.nfl.com/news/charley-casserly-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-washington-trades-up-for-qb-trey-lance

Has us trading up with Minny at 14 for Lance.  Fields falls to 24 (I don't see that.  Chicago would trade up for him).

That was the kiss of death for any hope of the WFT getting Lance. Probably also means Fields goes at 3. smh

Casserley’s predictions have pretty much turned into an accurate reverse barometer of team intent nowadays.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Haha 1

Casserly’s mock is actually pretty close to what I think COULD go down with the exception of Fields to 24. Unless he’s hearing things the general public doesn’t believe. I’d think Fields would go at 15 to NE and at the very least I’d see Chicago trading up to get him at 16. 

Realistically if Lance and Fields are past 9 I would expect Chicago to trade up with one of the NFC East Teams and if one makes it to 13 we strike a deal with LAC. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Casserly’s mock is actually pretty close to what I think COULD go down with the exception of Fields to 24. Unless he’s hearing things the general public doesn’t believe. I’d think Fields would go at 15 to NE and at the very least I’d see Chicago trading up to get him at 16. 

Realistically if Lance and Fields are past 9 I would expect Chicago to trade up with one of the NFC East Teams and if one makes it to 13 we strike a deal with LAC. 

Yeah.  Pittsburgh is the only other team in dire need for a future QB (unless they love Haskins).  I can see NYG trading down if they want an edge (which they can get at 20).

Zierlein effectively panned him, but I like Jacoby Stevens.  He's the poor man's Owusu-Koromoah.  Not twitchy or overly fast, but he's steady and fluid and plays with solid physicality.  Versatile enough to perform the traditional mix of overhang duties plus he can play in deep zones.  I think he's a smart player who is disciplined and stays within the scheme though he is not particularly dynamic.  A safety by temperament and style rather than a pelt hunting linebacker like Owusu-Koromoah.

I started watching him in the middle of going back over #19 and felt that #7 was clean and energetic and generally seemed to stick his open field tackles and offer good support when he roamed down into the box.

#24 is a stud.  I count at least two or three corners who look like early first rounders in 2023 in that rising junior class.  If we miss out on corner this year, next year should have some special options.

• Like 4

Real question here and honestly, I don't expect anyone to really have an answer ... just conjecture.

But this staff drafted Khaleke Hudson last year out of Michigan in the 5th round. Probably to play that nickelbacker role. We also have Landon Collins, who while not willing to make the permanent move to LB, is also in a position to play that sort of role on passing downs. I personally think our FS situation is fine with Jeremy Reaves and Dashasor Everett. Reaves had a really high PFF grade last year. But even so, I thin that's a position primed for a post-draft signing like Hooker or Boston.

So if Safety is pretty safe/set. And you have your nickelbacker in Hudson (plus Harvey-Clemons) ... do we REALLY need a JOK or are we better off getting a true MLB like Collins, Cox or Moses who can also play in the pass game when called on?

Moreland, Hudson, Collins, Harvey-Clemons ... those are 4 very capable nickel/slot/coverage guys. Harvey-Clemons opted out last year so we really don't know what he can/will bring. And Hudson was a rookie, but drafted by this staff. So I'm wondering if we are in better shape there than we think?

That being said, I could also see us drafting 2 LBs too ... guess we'll see how it unfolds.

AND. I think we could/should add a TE if one is there and close to BPA because we need bodies, but I think this staff feels good about some of the young guys we have or they wouldn't have cut bait on Moss. Plus the signing of Reyes? Maybe TE and LB aren't as "desperate" as the fans think.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Real question here and honestly, I don't expect anyone to really have an answer ... just conjecture.

But this staff drafted Khaleke Hudson last year out of Michigan in the 5th round. Probably to play that nickelbacker role. We also have Landon Collins, who while not willing to make the permanent move to LB, is also in a position to play that sort of role on passing downs. I personally think our FS situation is fine with Jeremy Reaves and Dashasor Everett. Reaves had a really high PFF grade last year. But even so, I thin that's a position primed for a post-draft signing like Hooker or Boston.

So if Safety is pretty safe/set. And you have your nickelbacker in Hudson (plus Harvey-Clemons) ... do we REALLY need a JOK or are we better off getting a true MLB like Collins, Cox or Moses who can also play in the pass game when called on?

Moreland, Hudson, Collins, Harvey-Clemons ... those are 4 very capable nickel/slot/coverage guys. Harvey-Clemons opted out last year so we really don't know what he can/will bring. And Hudson was a rookie, but drafted by this staff. So I'm wondering if we are in better shape there than we think?

That being said, I could also see us drafting 2 LBs too ... guess we'll see how it unfolds.

AND. I think we could/should add a TE if one is there and close to BPA because we need bodies, but I think this staff feels good about some of the young guys we have or they wouldn't have cut bait on Moss. Plus the signing of Reyes? Maybe TE and LB aren't as "desperate" as the fans think.

Hudson was playing weakside.  IMO the question is with both Curl and Landon Collins on the team does Collins play SS and Curl big nickle?  IMO with Koramoah you got to play him some in big nickel to exploit his talent so is there a logjam there?    IMO the best comp to Koramoah is Derwin James.    For a dude his size he can hit -- from the context of a safety IMO he's actually above average against the run, a good blitzer just like James is and is elite in pass coverage. 

It's not that I am of the mind that he can't play weakside, its more that i think he's more of a hybrid safety/big nickel if you are getting the most out of his talent.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I don't think you can bank on a 5th rounder being a long term starter unless they have some crazy good rookie year. Hudson was...okay, but nothing he did made me think he can be some long term starter. Need to see more. I wouldn't pass on JOK because of Hudson.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hudson was playing weakside.  IMO the question is with both Curl and Landon Collins on the team does Collins play SS and Curl big nickle?  IMO with Koramoah you got to play him some in big nickel to exploit his talent so is there a logjam there?    IMO the best comp to Koramoah is Derwin James.    For a dude his size he can hit -- from the context of a safety IMO he's actually above average against the run, a good blitzer just like James is and is elite in pass coverage. 

It's not that I am of the mind that he can't play weakside, its more that i think he's more of a hybrid safety/big nickel if you are getting the most out of his talent.

A log jam in the secondary would be a most welcome problem. Wish we had that problem at LB and CB.

I think an ideal modern NFL secondary would be a bit like a modern NBA team. More positionless/flexible. You want a bunch of interchangeable guys that are versatile and can play multiple roles at a high level. That gives so much scheme flexibility and the ability to disguise what you’re doing. 

I’d rather have that at CB and safety, but JOK would help with that some as well. Is he blitzing? Is he spying a mobile QB? Who is covering the TE? Who is covering the slot? Etc. 

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think you can bank on a 5th rounder being a long term starter unless they have some crazy good rookie year. Hudson was...okay, but nothing he did made me think he can be some long term starter. Need to see more. I wouldn't pass on JOK because of Hudson.

Right, I totally agree here. And I'm not saying you pass on JOK simply because Hudson COULD be a solid starter. But to maximize on-field play time and what you already have on the team long-term, would it make more sense to spend the resources (Draft Capital) elsewhere ... or on a MLB.

It more speaks to the logjam that you might have in that instance. I guess for me it would just come down to whether or not you spend #19 on JOK or something like #74 on Dylan Moses ... and whether JOK + James Hudson (OT) at 74 would be more desirable than say, Darrisaw + Moses. I think I'd much rather have Darrisaw + Moses, though I thnk most on here would agree you take Darrisaw over JOK if both are there at #19.

FWIW, I'm not certain JOK is there at #19. I think there's a solid chance he goes to the Pats or the Raiders. Or someone like NYG or Philly could fall in love with him and take him even earlier, especially if Parsons is off the board.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The problem is Collins/Curl/JOK + a free.

Cant have all four of them on the field unless one of them is an inside backer.

Collins is gone after this season. JOK is our WILL and one of the LB’s in the 4-2 and Curl is SS. I don’t see this as a problem. 

I’m not trying to hard sell JOK. I’d rather have Parsons if he falls. Probably would rather have Jaycee Horn. Definitely would rather have Darrisaw. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1