Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, I guess we just hope a QB falls into our lap then? I am ALL for Fitzmagic for 1-2 years but at some point we gotta get a QB to build around. If not this year, then I am circling R1 next year to do so. Or loading up on capital to move up next year. But if we trade that 1st for Orlando Brown .....

Much rather save that 1st, and go Darrisaw + Etienne/Williams if you NEED a RB (We don't) ... or Harris + Leatherwood.

Brown is solid. But he's also going to need $20m. So why give up that draft capital to pay a LT top of the market value. Not a smart way to team build IMO.

I think Fitz + Taylor is our best QB situation in a long while and don't share most people's opinion on his short term fix. Think he could be the guy for 2-4 years and want to max out what this roster can be right now. Do we have to have Harris? No, if he's there though he dynamically changes our offense. I'm ok with drafting an OT in round 2, but would love to see the Skins go all in. Hoping and wishing for the draft next year does nothing for me. This D carried our team to the playoffs, give me a QB change, 2 WRs, a TE and the best rookie RB since Barkley and we're talking some exciting times. It should be noted ... I'm a fan, not a GM. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, illone said:

For me it's more about cost and opportunity.  I'd rather stick to BPA this year, and go for a QB next year in FA or the draft, especially with the potential availability of Russ Wilson or AROD.

You think it's the worst?  I dunno about that claim.  I guess it depends how the team views Heine/Allen.

I don’t think people view Heinecke/Allen that highly at all.  Heinecke has only 5 good quarters to his name, and Allen is quite frankly not very good.  They’re backups and nothing more.  If Fitz went down during the season next year God forbid, then we’d be in huge trouble.  Our QB situation is not sustainable, since we don’t have our young franchise QB on the roster at the moment.

Edited by samy316

There are so many different directions we could go with this draft and I find a lot of them exciting. 

Imagine if we got lucky and landed 1-Christian Darrisaw 2-Jevonte Williams 3-Quinn Meinerz 3- Tommy Tremble. Imagine the brutal running game. 12 personnel all day. 

Also, if we add Tremble, I would really like our TE room. A lot of athleticism. An elite run blocker. A guy that’s already produced at a high level for us. And a high upside project. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

There are so many different directions we could go with this draft and I find a lot of them exciting. 

Imagine if we got lucky and landed 1-Christian Darrisaw 2-Jevonte Williams 3-Quinn Meinerz 3- Tommy Tremble. Imagine the brutal running game. 12 personnel all day. 

Also, if we add Tremble, I would really like our TE room. A lot of athleticism. An elite run blocker. A guy that’s already produced at a high level for us. And a high upside project. 

UF involved here with new TE's workout.  We sign Reyes.  I can't seem to shake Trask being our future QB.  Rather have someone else but leaving it up to RR and Co..  

21 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I don’t think people view Heinecke/Allen that highly at all.  Heinecke has only 5 good quarters to his name, and Allen is quite frankly not very good.  They’re backups and nothing more.  If Fitz went down during the season next year God forbid, then we’d be in huge trouble.  Our QB situation is not sustainable, since we don’t have our young franchise QB on the roster at the moment.

Yea, I like Heinecke but he hasn’t shown he can stay healthy and he’s small. Hoping our long term solution is on the roster right now is just not a great bet. And you’ve got a 38 year old and two players who consistently get hurt. Hope is not a plan.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 10:03 PM, TrancesWithWolves said:

I’ve been calling for a developmental athlete like Reyes as a prospective WFT TE for years. The basketball pedigree and his leaping for rebounds is a major plus.

Put me in line for a day three flyer on this guy. Dude seems to have the proper attitude too...

Reyes feels as if his transition to the gridiron is complete and his numbers show a phenomenal athlete with sky high potential.

The former Chilean national team power forward explains how determined he is to reach his football goals::

“I want to make the NFL. I’m not here to play games, I’m (not) doing this for fame, I’m not doing this for clout. I’m doing this because I want to get there. I’m hungry, I’m willing to do anything, whatever it takes to get there. I want to be a part of an NFL team and make the 53-man roster.”

Look for Reyes to draw interest from several NFL teams. Transforming basketball players to tight ends has proven to be a successful process in the NFL and teams are always on the lookout for players with Reyes’s athleticism and work ethic.

The post quoted above was written by me over a month ago.

A few members read it at the time and laughed mockingly at me from the safety of their computer screens. While others actually threw peanuts, raw eggs, and rotten fruit at my cage for having the audacity to write it. 

I was left to lower my head in shame and accept the abuse. -sniff-

A few hours ago I received the following urgent message in my AOL dial up electronic mail account:

”Dear TrancesWithWolves I want to thank you for suggesting that we  acquire Sammis Reyes as a prospective TE.

I had been spending all off season scratching my head wondering how or if I could find a bookend for Logan Thomas when I ran across your absolutely brilliant post on ExtremeSkins about Reyes. I immediately called an emergency staff meeting after which it was decided that we would move heaven and earth to bring him into the fold.

Today we accomplished that goal!

This could not have happened without your extraordinary vision and  virile (for a man of your years) masculinity.

Thank you from all of us here at WFT Park.

Yours in vigilance and fandom,

Ron “Riverboat” Rivera

P.S. Do you think I should trade up to get a quarterback or stay at 19?”

I offer this not just to laud myself for being more brilliant than the north star on a dark night, but to help the forum to more easily recognize the presence of my genius in the future.

You may bow reverently now.

/p

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

5 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

The post quoted above was written by me over a month ago.

A few members read it at the time and laughed mockingly at me from the safety of their computer screens. While others actually threw peanuts, raw eggs, and rotten fruit at my cage for having the audacity to write it. 

I was left to lower my head in shame and accept the abuse. -sniff-

A few hours ago I received the following urgent message in my AOL dial up electronic mail account:

”Dear TrancesWithWolves I want to thank you for suggesting that we  acquire Sammis Reyes as a prospective TE.

I had been spending all off season scratching my head wondering how or if I could find a bookend for Logan Thomas when I ran across your absolutely brilliant post on ExtremeSkins about Reyes. I immediately called an emergency staff meeting after which it was decided that we would move heaven and earth to bring him into the fold.

Today we accomplished that goal!

This could not have happened without your extraordinary vision and  virile (for a man of your years) masculinity.

Thank you from all of us here at WFT Park.

Yours in vigilance and fandom,

Ron “Riverboat” Rivera

P.S. Do you think I should trade up to get a quarterback or stay at 19?”

I offer this not just to laud myself for being more brilliant than the north star on a dark night, but to help the forum to more easily recognize the presence of my genius in the future.

/p

Please tell me your being sarcastic and joking, TWWs.   🤣

Edited by RWJ
  • Haha 2

Just now, RWJ said:

Please tell me your being sarcastic and joking, TWWs.  

No, every word was completely serious.

There’s absolutely nothing tongue in cheek in my response.

Nothing whatsoever.s

x

x

x

x

wait for it...

Spoiler space.

;)

At the end of my previous message you may notice this: /p

If you check my signature you will see that /p=parody 

• Like 1

Just now, TrancesWithWolves said:

No, every word was completely serious.

There’s absolutely nothing tongue in cheek in my response.

Nothing whatsoever.s

x

x

x

x

wait for it...

Spoiler space.

;)

At the end of my previous message you may notice this: /p

If you check my signature you will see that /p=parody 

That's why I put a laughing emoji at the end of mine.  I had to edit it and add it.  Chilean TE could be special and believe he will be.  He could be a machine amongst men.  Just saying.  COULD be.  We wait and see. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's why I put a laughing emoji at the end of mine.  I had to edit it and add it.  Chilean TE could be special and believe he will be.  He could be a machine amongst men.  Just saying.  COULD be.  We wait and see. 

Ha ha! No problem my friend.

I responded to your post before you edited it lol!

EDIT:

To clarify everything was just parody accept for the part about people “throwing peanuts, raw eggs, and rotten fruit at my cage”.

That actually happened.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

If we're taking credit for players, I want to say I was the first one to talk about Chase Young being the best player in CFB back in the 2019 thread.  IIRC him and Andrew Thomas were my two favorites for us, but I naively thought we wouldn't be bad enough to get them.

I also think I was the first one to rave about Penei Sewell and Jamar Chase, although I know Volsmet was familiar with Sewell because he's the one I talked to about him.  Early in the 2019 season I highlighted that Chase and Devonta Smith were special because I happened to catch some broadcast games where they dominated.

Sometimes it's relatively easy to identify the special players at the cfb level.  and then sometimes it's apparently not so easy to do so, as is the case with Najee and Etienne even though it feels glaringly obvious to me.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

UF involved here with new TE's workout.  We sign Reyes.  I can't seem to shake Trask being our future QB.  Rather have someone else but leaving it up to RR and Co..  

Just because Reyes was part of the UF workout?  they've been at all the big school workouts from what I can tell. 

We should be looking in the opposite direction. Who haven't we visited on pro-days? what name isn't being linked to us? I get the feeling this group doesn't leak anything unless there's intention behind it. We didn't go to Mond's pro-day and haven't been linked to him at all, I'd say he's just as likely if not more likely than someone like Trask. These guys aren't stupid, they aren't going to leak anything true to the media, there's zero incentive for them to do that. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we're taking credit for players, I want to say I was the first one to talk about Chase Young being the best player in CFB back in the 2019 thread.  IIRC him and Andrew Thomas were my two favorites for us, but I naively thought we wouldn't be bad enough to get them.

I also think I was the first one to rave about Penei Sewell and Jamar Chase, although I know Volsmet was familiar with Sewell because he's the one I talked to about him.  Early in the 2019 season I highlighted that Chase and Devonta Smith were special because I happened to catch some broadcast games where they dominated.

Sometimes it's relatively easy to identify the special players at the cfb level.  and then sometimes it's apparently not so easy to do so, as is the case with Najee and Etienne even though it feels glaringly obvious to me.

Our timing I think was close on Chase and Devonte Smith.  I was pretty early on that 2019 college season saying I am not trading our pick if we can land Chase because I've never seen a college edge player who was that dominating.  He was one of my early film review projects that year.  I do recall volsmet making fun of me for taking off so much on Chase that I usurped him on the player even though he knew him back as a HS prospect. :ols:

But yeah I recall you and I were hopped up on Devonte Smith in 2019 when most of the rest of the draftniks seemed much more obsessed with Ruggs and Jeudy.  Though we liked all three.

I was actually slower than some, including yourself on Najee.  I watched the dude play live a few times and he was a beast but my head was wrapped around the receivers and the QBs that I oddly ignored him initially.  

Not that it matters who is first.  I only sometimes say it when someone brings up a player that I like and that's me trying to make the point that my love of said player goes somewhat way back relatively speaking or if I am trying to sell that I really like that player.  I take a little satisfaction from it if its someone who is less heralded.  And I am pretty good at remebering who liked whom including first -- especially as it plays out on draft day. 

For example Kiper seems hopped up on Anthony Schwartz and he's a guy I watched awhile go and i've read about, too.  I knew the high school he went to among other things.  I know his story and how he plays.  I am not as hopped about him as Kiper but its cool to see him gain some momentum hype wise.  When I saw the Reyes signing today I got jazzed because I already knew about his athletic prowess (I presume so did some others here).  I was working yesterday on a TE ranking including TEs who could be projects, I had him listed.  I'll post that list here soon. Almost done with it. 

You used the analogy in a different post about stocks.  The SEC/ACC/Big 10 big prospects are like touting FANG stocks.  You can make money on those stocks.  Nothing wrong with it.  But while it takes some imagination it doesn't take a ton of it.  It's more fun when you find those equivalent of small cap stocks that not everyone is talking about.  I got some guys like that which I'll talk about soon.   It doesn't mean i'll be right about them but its fun to at least try. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Do we agree Reyes doesn't change the fact that WFT will draft a TE by the end of day 2?

Sure feels that way to me

IMO they need two TEs to add to Thomas.  I doubt it changes their plans one whit.  But will see. 

Sammis Reyes exited high school with dreams of playing in the NBA. Now he hopes to be the latest former Division I basketball player to make it as an NFL tight end with the Washington Football Team. He would also become the first Chilean-born player to make a 53-man roster.

Washington signed Reyes, who had been training at IMG Academy in Florida as part of the International Pathway Program, on Tuesday. Participants in this program get assigned to a random division, and those teams could then pick one player from a pool of 11 athletes.

But after Reyes worked out at the University of Florida's pro day on March 31, Washington decided to sign him so no one else would have a shot.

At 6-foot-6 and 260 pounds, Reyes has the size necessary to play tight end. He ran a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash while bench-pressing 225 pounds 31 times at the pro day. But he has never played in a game, despite coaches telling him when he was younger that he should try the sport.

However, Reyes told the South Florida Sun Sentinel that his childhood dream was to play in the NBA. His family moved to Florida from Chile when he was 14.

Before his senior year at North Broward Prep High School, he practiced with the football team for one week before quitting, telling the Sun Sentinel that he knew he had 20-plus offers to play basketball.

He played two seasons at Tulane, appearing in 32 games and averaging 0.8 points and 1.5 rebounds per game. Before that, he played one season at Palm Beach State Junior College. Reyes, 25, last played at Tulane in 2018.

If he makes the roster, he'd join players such as Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Mo Alie-Cox and Darren Fells as former Division I college basketball players who played tight end in the NFL. Graham did play one season of college football at Miami as a graduate student.

Washington has been looking for more tight end help this offseason to pair with Logan Thomas. He converted to tight end from quarterback. Washington also has Marcus Baugh, Dylan Cantrell and Tyrone Swoopes at the position. It will consider drafting a tight end later this month.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31249875/washington-football-team-signs-hoops-te-hopeful-sammis-reyes

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO they need two TEs to add to Thomas.  I doubt it changes their plans one whit.  But will see. 

No chance Baugh stays as a blocker along with Thomas and prospect not names Tremble?

Figure Reyes the the PS, can a team try signing him and force WFT to put him on the active roster?

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I called us drafting Cousins in the draft thread, so y'all can sit down. :ols: 

Reyes is going to fill the slot Moss left. On the practice squad delivering heaping tons of disappointing hope to a desperate fanbase. 

Kirk.  That's a nice one.  Probably my best one was on draft day when things were unfolding I picked Matt Ionnaidis on the running draft day thread right before we took him.

Also I'll never forget putting Terry McLaurin on my short list of what players I wanted in the third round that same morning before we took him and I got into some pretty heated arguments with others about Terry who weren't too jazzed about him.  It was post after post on Terry, that morning was so consumed with me defending Terry that through this day I recall most of his college stats without having to look them up.  And then we took him.  And then after we took him, I had to defend the pick to some who weren't happy. 😀

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I called us drafting Cousins in the draft thread, so y'all can sit down. :ols: 

Reyes is going to fill the slot Moss left. On the practice squad delivering heaping tons of disappointing hope to a desperate fanbase. 

I dont know, color me extremely skeptical that he can make the transition to the NFL. As a bball player, 32 games and averaged .8 points and 1.5 rebounds a game with his physical traits? I may be wrong but does he have that ingrained desire or the competitive drive to make it in the NFL that you need. Maybe Im wrong, just basing it off initial impression. Has that "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" feeling. Will gladly eat crow if Im wrong and WFT has nothing to lose by giving him a chance.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kirk.  That's a nice one.  Probably my best one was on draft day when things were unfolding I picked Matt Ionnaidis on the running draft day thread right before we took him.

Also I'll never forget putting Terry McLaurin on my short list of what players I wanted in the third round that same morning before we took him and I got into some pretty heated arguments with others about Terry who weren't too jazzed about him.  It was post after post on Terry, that morning was so consumed with me defending Terry that through this day I recall most of his college stats without having to look them up.  And then we took him.  And then after we took him, I had to defend the pick to some who weren't happy. 😀

That was memorable. You nailed Gibson too. Kirks a good one and it's all I got lol.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

I dont know, color me extremely skeptical that he can make the transition to the NFL. As a bball player, 32 games and averaged .8 points and 1.5 rebounds a game with his physical traits? I may be wrong but does he have that ingrained desire or the competitive drive to make it in the NFL that you need. Maybe Im wrong, just basing it off initial impression. Has that "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" feeling. Will gladly eat crow if Im wrong and WFT has nothing to lose by giving him a chance.

That's exactly my point. He's PS fodder with a lot of upside. See how he handles getting the **** knocked out of him over the middle against some of the SSs flying around out there.

59 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

/p

John Oliver GIF

• Haha 2

“Mr. Hurney saw the numbers, but the one thing that he also expressed was that he saw process,” said Plummer. She praised Reyes’s workout regimen and remembered how he filled notebooks last year as he studied tight ends while preparing to switch sports. “[Hurney] indicated that he’s been doing for this years, and there was something that he saw [in Reyes]. I’m glad he did.”

This was a somewhat remarkable turn of events for Reyes. He moved from Chile to South Florida when he was 14 and had a singular focus on basketball. In 2014, as Hawaii recruited the power forward, Reyes told WarriorInsider.com: “The football coaches at my [prep] school have been asking me [to play] every year, but I love basketball too much.”

Now, he’s a member of the Washington Football Team. If he were to appear in an NFL game, he would be the first Chilean-born player to do so.

Reyes hopes he can follow in the footsteps of other college basketball players who became tight ends, such as Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates. This is the second year in a row the team has added a developmental tight end for position coach Pete Hoener, though Reyes is significantly less experienced than even former quarterback Logan Thomas was when he signed last spring. Thomas had a breakout season last year with 72 catches, 670 yards and six touchdowns.

The team is likely not done addressing the position. Reyes is just the third tight end on the roster behind Thomas and Marcus Baugh, who yo-yo’d between the active roster and practice squad last season. The team also has Temarrick Hemingway on the reserve/injured list and Dylan Cantrell and Tyrone Swoopes on futures contracts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/13/sammis-reyes-washington-football-team-tight-end/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_redskins

• Like 1