Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 hours ago, method man said:

Signing Alfred Morris on the minimum as a backup for Gibson and to compete with Lamar Miller is a better option vs drafting Najee

It's not.  Drafting Najee is drafting one of the best players in the class and adding a potential superstar.  Signing a broken down third stringer for a vet min contract is just shuffling replacement level talent.  That doesn't even come close to making us better than we'd be with Najee.

If you want to justify passing over a RB like Najee by citing opportunity cost of drafting RB in rd 1, then there is more opportunity cost paid by passing over elite players for lesser talents.  I've got a much better football team with Derek Henry or Alvin Kamara than I do with Taylor Decker or Laremy Tunsil.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO he is just as sick with the ball in his hands as Rondale Moore.  He's like a video game when it comes to YAC.  He's not a polished receiver but has good hands.   The two WRs I've been really high that I consider being my guys:  Elijah Moore and Terrace Marshall I think might be out of reach at 51.  But Rondale Moore and Toney ironically could be there.  The shift in mocks could be meaningless BS but I've noticed Elijah and Terrace are in the late first in many mocks now.  Rondale and Toney are now often in the 2nd.  Months back it was the reverse. 

I think Toney is pretty good, but I much, much prefer Rondale or Elijah Moore.  Marshall too.  There are a few things that bother me about Toney:

1 - He's not a traditional WR.  He only excelled in a very narrowly tailored role at Florida, and I think his NFL team will have to give him that same role for him to be productive.  He is the most limited of the second tier WRs by far.

2 - He's a little bit older than the other WR prospects and he didn't produce at all until his senior year.

3 - I don't like the stuff about him being more passionate about his music career than he is about football.

Personally, I'd pass on Toney.  There will probably be second round options I feel better about than him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

We won't move up to 4. I think we wait and maybe take a shot to move up to 7 or 8 if Lance falls that far.

Trading up for Lance would be another Haskins type of mistake.  The guy played 1 game last year and was horrible.  This makes no sense.  I'm not buying the BS Lombardi tweet. 

15 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Hold up...You quote me stats of Gibson not getting enough carries and are saying adding a 1st round RB will somehow help that cause?  Pardon if I can't do the requisite mental gymnastics.

Gibson got everything he could handle last season and broke down.  We're looking at a 17 game season and hopefully playoffs with a run dominant offense and you want to give him more carries?

The breakdown between your take and ours is that you think Najee and Etienne are much worse than they really are and that Gibson and McKissic are much better than they really are.  The fact you turn your nose up at Etienne makes that clear.  I'm not turning down elite talent at RB to protect the carries of a limited-carry complimentary back like Gibson or a journeyman JAG like McKissic or any of the other diminished players you named.  I'd be looking for genuine dynamism in the ground game, especially since the offense is predicated on it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Draft Rhamondre Stevenson or Trey Sermon in the 3rd or 4th. There’s always RB values in that range. If you’re looking for a complement to Gibson aside from what’s on the roster that is the smartest approach. Not a RB at 19. 

Solidify the OL/TE situation early, add a LB. Then grab a RB. 

Sermon is interesting but he was never able to carry the load for a great offense for a season like the elite backs of the class.

Stevenson is not interesting.  He's a big slow grinder with minimal D1 production who is also one of the oldest backs in the class.  He's Samaje Perine 2.0.

There is a very big difference in quality between the top three backs in this class and the rest IMO.  Those three represent the clearest upgrades over what we have, particularly Najee and Etienne.  The justification for drafting them is they are workhorse superstars who can produce 13+ AV seasons and are authentic BPA candidates where we pick in either the late teens or 20s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's not.  Drafting Najee is drafting one of the best players in the class and adding a potential superstar.  Signing a broken down third stringer for a vet min contract is just shuffling replacement level talent.  That doesn't even come close to making us better than we'd be with Najee.

If you want to justify passing over a RB like Najee by citing opportunity cost of drafting RB in rd 1, then there is more opportunity cost paid by passing over elite players for lesser talents.  I've got a much better football team with Derek Henry or Alvin Kamara than I do with Taylor Decker or Laremy Tunsil.

You won't get any complaints from me regarding drafting Najee.  RB is a MAJOR need.  JD is a good scat back who can catch, but he's horrific in pass protection (not 100% is fault as he's just too small).  Barber plays teams (something you need your 3rd RB to do) and plays hard, but he's just a JAG.  Miller is close to done.

LT is such a premium position that taking a lesser talent (like Darisow or Jenkins) can be justified IMO.  Our offense was DOA when Gibson got hurt.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gibson got everything he could handle last season and broke down.  We're looking at a 17 game season and hopefully playoffs with a run dominant offense and you want to give him more carries?

And didn’t Gibson state at the end of last year that his goal coming into his second season was to slim down? 

Gibson had no experience carrying the load full-time since college. 33 carries total I believe. Yes, he exceeded expectations and shows tremendous potential as a player maker/weapon. But he didn’t show out that you design your entire offence around him. And there’s a very reasonable expectation that he couldn’t handle that load, even if he was asked to.

I’ve always thought that a good quarterback always make an offensive line better. But a good running back can also make a huge difference there too. You need a guy who can make something out of nothing, at times. And Harris would have a bigger impact next year.... than any LT prospect we’re going to plug-and-play.

And still, I’m ok with Darrisaw. But... I’m just saying.... if the top 3 OTs are gone by 19, as well as all the receivers (I’m torn about the corners... I can see that as a reasonable selection to.... and no one is talking about it), then I’m seriously considering Najee.... rather than a LB/FS or trading back.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sermon is interesting but he was never able to carry the load for a great offense for a season like the elite backs of the class.

Stevenson is not interesting.  He's a big slow grinder with minimal D1 production who is also one of the oldest backs in the class.  He's Samaje Perine 2.0.

There is a very big difference in quality between the top three backs in this class and the rest IMO.  Those three represent the clearest upgrades over what we have, particularly Najee and Etienne.  The justification for drafting them is they are workhorse superstars who can produce 13+ AV seasons and are authentic BPA candidates where we pick in either the late teens or 20s.

If Darisow is gone, at this point, my #1 priority would be to trade down and see who is left amongst:  Jenkins, AVT, Cosmi, Z Collins, Jammin, Moerig, Najee, Eitienne, T. Marshall, R. Moore, E. Moore, etc.  Heck, Newsome is solidly the 3rd CB and if he's there at 19, he'd a worthy choice or a team would trade up for him.

We all love Cosmi here, but the scouting community seems to not love him.  I think there's a possibility he could be there at 51 assuming the 2nd tier tackles (Eichenberg, Mayfield, Raidenz) go ahead of him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

You won't get any complaints from me regarding drafting Najee.  RB is a MAJOR need.  JD is a good scat back who can catch, but he's horrific in pass protection (not 100% is fault as he's just too small).  Barber plays teams (something you need your 3rd RB to do) and plays hard, but he's just a JAG.  Miller is close to done.

LT is such a premium position that taking a lesser talent (like Darisow or Jenkins) can be justified IMO.  Our offense was DOA when Gibson got hurt.  

RB is a need....but selecting a RB at 19 is not my preference at all. Gotta have an Oline for a star running back to be successful. Look at the difference between E. Elliot when his line was below par. Draft LT at 19 unless  someone generational falls to us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, method man said:

You guys keep glossing over the fact that @86 Snyder has suggested that they go sign a back on the cheap over drafting Najee. Signing Alfred Morris on the minimum as a backup for Gibson and to compete with Lamar Miller is a better option vs drafting Najee

There is also always a trade partner for the #19 pick in the draft. The question is what are you willing to take back. My bar for the return is lower in this draft than most drafts of it means multiple rd 2 and rd 3 picks. A number of rd 2 guys in this draft will become Pro Bowlers or longtime starters at the minimum

The cheap back option isn’t really a good option. We don’t have a full time back on the roster. We can sugar coat Gibson all we want, but he is not a full time guy... and as a person who was and still is extremely high on Gibson we are absolutely limiting his potential by trying to make him carry the load for 17 games. 

Im starting to think some people here are just married to tradition and don’t want to see the potential that adding a back like Najee would bring to this team and offense. 

It’s like asking, “hey, you can have Derrick Henry and Gibson or JD McKissick and Gibson.”

Not at the expense of Darrisaw in my opinion, but I don’t want to reach for LT4 and pass over one of the true REAL blue chip players in this draft.

He isn’t going to be there at 19 anyways. 

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Draft Rhamondre Stevenson or Trey Sermon in the 3rd or 4th. There’s always RB values in that range. If you’re looking for a complement to Gibson aside from what’s on the roster that is the smartest approach. Not a RB at 19. 

LT4 or Freiermuth/Jordan in the first is what you’re advocating over a blue chip prospect?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kadarius Toney was one of my favorite receivers during the college season, I probably commenting on him as much as anyone during that time.  But he became so cool with NFL mock drafters and they so overrated him that he became uncool and its fashionable to slam him for being overrated.  IMO he is overrated.  And all the buzz of him being the slam dunk #5 receiver in this draft (leapfrogged now it seems by Bateman, Elijah Moore, T. Marsall) and that he will go around the mid teens/early 20s was over the top for him IMO.  But that doesn't mean he isn't good. 

If he slips to pick 51.  Don't know if he will or not, he'd be among the guys i like.  I think I'd still likely prefer a TE at that spot:  Jordan or Freiermuth.  And i know some disagree with me on Tremble but I wouldn't hate him in the late 2nd either if they don't feel that he will be there in the third.  But I suspect he might be there in the third. 

I am keeping Toney on my radar in part because I know he's a player they've spoken to.  And on occasion a beat reporter will mention him so maybe there is a reason for it.  

IMO he is just as sick with the ball in his hands as Rondale Moore.  He's like a video game when it comes to YAC.  He's not a polished receiver but has good hands.   The two WRs I've been really high that I consider being my guys:  Elijah Moore and Terrace Marshall I think might be out of reach at 51.  But Rondale Moore and Toney ironically could be there.  The shift in mocks could be meaningless BS but I've noticed Elijah and Terrace are in the late first in many mocks now.  Rondale and Toney are now often in the 2nd.  Months back it was the reverse. 

Toney falls into the category of players the team wishes they could interview face to face.  Some questions on how much Toney loves football, how many other hobbies Toney prioritizes more,and if when he gets more money those other hobbies he likes more get his focus instead of football.

He's also extremely raw.  With what he can do, his potential is tantalizing, but if the team doesn't feel confident he'll run a route with the timing and movement he's supposed to, then he won't get playing time.

I think Toney falls into enough areas of concern for this team to have a lower grade on him than where he's going to be drafted.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Do you believe ANY TE prospect (outside of Pitts) is going to give you the same value as Harris?

And with Thomas as the incumbent.... how much of an impact is TE2 going to make on this team. Don’t get me wrong..... EVERYBODY here wants a TE whether it’s round 2 or 3.

We’re talking round 1. And if Darrisaw is already gone...... are you going to take the 4th OT prospect..... over the top-rated back in the first 20 picks?

No one here is saying Harris over Darrisaw. The conversation is.... barring any trades.... IF Darrisaw has already been drafted..... what should be the contingency plan.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The cheap back option isn’t really a good option. We don’t have a full time back on the roster. We can sugar coat Gibson all we want, but he is not a full time guy... and as a person who was and still is extremely high on Gibson we are absolutely limiting his potential by trying to make him carry the load for 17 games. 

Im starting to think some people here are just married to tradition and don’t want to see the potential that adding a back like Najee would bring to this team and offense. 

It’s like asking, “hey, you can have Derrick Henry and Gibson or JD McKissick and Gibson.”

Not at the expense of Darrisaw in my opinion, but I don’t want to reach for LT4 and pass over one of the true REAL blue chip players in this draft.

He isn’t going to be there at 19 anyways. 

LT4 or Freiermuth/Jordan in the first is what you’re advocating over a blue chip prospect?

Who isn't going to be there at 19?  I'm assuming you mean Darrisow (which I agree with)

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Who isn't going to be there at 19?  I'm assuming you mean Darrisow (which I agree with)

Najee. Miami will take him at 18.

But I said I don't want LT4 as well, meaning if Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw are there you take them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Najee. Miami will take him at 18.

But I said I don't want LT4 as well, meaning if Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw are there you take them.

I could see Miami taking edge over Najee at 18 (they have to improve their pass rush) and taking an RB (like Javonte) with their high 2nd round pick.  Jaelan Phillips or Aziz would be good picks there.

Edited by mhd24

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If Darisow is gone, at this point, my #1 priority would be to trade down and see who is left amongst:  Jenkins, AVT, Cosmi, Z Collins, Jammin, Moerig, Najee, Eitienne, T. Marshall, R. Moore, E. Moore, etc.  Heck, Newsome is solidly the 3rd CB and if he's there at 19, he'd a worthy choice or a team would trade up for him.

We all love Cosmi here, but the scouting community seems to not love him.  I think there's a possibility he could be there at 51 assuming the 2nd tier tackles (Eichenberg, Mayfield, Raidenz) go ahead of him.

It hinges on Darrisaw for me too.  And I take your point about being so much higher on Cosmi than the draft community seems to be.  It doesn't make sense to take him at 19 even if I love him if he'd still be there in like the 40s unless I absolutely just can't find a partner to trade back with.

I like your list of trade back options, and I really like the idea of trading back and still getting Newsome, Najee, Etienne, Zaven, or Moehrig in particular.  Darrisaw gets me to stay at 19 even with a good trade offer on the table because he's the right mix of player, personality, and talent.  From what I've read about him, he's the kind of low maintenance stud that would fit in really well here.  A more gifted version of Moses in many ways.  So that situation has everything you're looking for with a first round pick and I suspect the FO feels the same way.

But I also think Rondale and Etienne are good fits for similar reasons. And if you can go back in the first and up in the second and come away with both, that is hands down one of our best potential outcomes of the first two days of the draft.  Especially if you can follow it up with a nice project tackle like Carman or Mayfield in the third.  To me that would set the table for a high powered offense that could prop up a young QB while he develops over the next three or four years, or give an old vet like Fitzpatrick a legit set of weapons to make a Cinderella run with.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It hinges on Darrisaw for me too.  And I take your point about being so much higher on Cosmi than the draft community seems to be.  It doesn't make sense to take him at 19 even if I love him if he'd still be there in like the 40s unless I absolutely just can't find a partner to trade back with.

I like your list of trade back options, and I really like the idea of trading back and still getting Newsome, Najee, Etienne, Zaven, or Moehrig in particular.  Darrisaw gets me to stay at 19 even with a good trade offer on the table because he's the right mix of player, personality, and talent.  From what I've read about him, he's the kind of low maintenance stud that would fit in really well here.  A more gifted version of Moses in many ways.  So that situation has everything you're looking for with a first round pick and I suspect the FO feels the same way.

But I also think Rondale and Etienne are good fits for similar reasons. And if you can go back in the first and up in the second and come away with both, that is hands down one of our best potential outcomes of the first two days of the draft.  Especially if you can follow it up with a nice project tackle like Carman or Mayfield in the third.  To me that would set the table for a high powered offense that could prop up a young QB while he develops over the next three or four years, or give an old vet like Fitzpatrick a legit set of weapons to make a Cinderella run with.

My ideal draft day scenario would be ( I think Darisow's floor is Minny at 14 as they are desperate for a LT and Sewell & Slater will be long gone):

1). to trade back to NYJ at 23 (who would target AVT or Jenkins to continue to build their line) and get #107 and #186 (a high 4th and a high 6th)

2). to trade back with Buffalo at 30 (who would target the edges they like (like Phillips, Aziz, Paye) as Pitt, Cleveland, Baltimore could all take edge) and get #93.

Take BPA at #30, and you are left with:  #51, #74, #82, #93, #107 to fill needs.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, mudhog said:

Steve, just for the sake of argument; lets say that we had 5 or 6 targets that we want and we got all of them, or very close. would we then try to take the rest of the picks to trade for next years draft? or continue to take other players this year?

I'm not sure if that's how the team approaches the draft.  I don't think you can easily target that many players throughout the course of a draft given you really start losing the ability to accurately predict which guys will go where the further you go.

I think teams generally just follow their draft boards instead of going into the class thinking "target player X at this position in the third round" or something like that.  They would have their favorites of course.  But if they aren't there when their pick comes up, I think teams just generally move on to the next guy on their board.  When teams do trade up for players to target them, when it happens outside of the first round, I think it's more in reaction to that player falling further than they expected rather than a plan they had going into the day.

So my answer is I'm not sure we'd ever meet a scenario where we feel like all of our work is done prior to the end of a draft.  But trading for future picks makes sense in situations where we're not in love with any of the options at our pick and can't get good offers in 2021 picks to trade down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We won't move up to 4. I think we wait and maybe take a shot to move up to 7 or 8 if Lance falls that far.

That seems to be the consistent theme I hear from beat guy talking about it.

I was listening to Hoffman today who talked about the Albright comment and said he talked to a good source with the team.  The impression he got was they won't trade them farm to move up big but if one slips they might jump in

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McVay knows offense.  Though like anyone else he makes mistakes, I've heard multiple times he was the one banging the table for Josh Doctson on draft day.

Please no. I live in FL and my sis is a UCF alum, so I've seen a lot of their games. This kid as tantalizing potential, but he's disappointed me sooo many times with drops. It became almost comical this past year. Anytime they're was a big play ruined by a drop, I'd find myself saying, "I'll bet that was 87. Yep. 87 strikes again." 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Toney falls into the category of players the team wishes they could interview face to face.  Some questions on how much Toney loves football, how many other hobbies Toney prioritizes more,and if when he gets more money those other hobbies he likes more get his focus instead of football.

He's also extremely raw.  With what he can do, his potential is tantalizing, but if the team doesn't feel confident he'll run a route with the timing and movement he's supposed to, then he won't get playing time.

I think Toney falls into enough areas of concern for this team to have a lower grade on him than where he's going to be drafted.

Yep.  I think most of us are aware of the basics about the more hyped and top players in the draft, Toney is definitely in that list.  Lots of posts made about him here going on for a long time. 

I am aware that he's raw and I am aware of the background stuff. On the surface its nothing crazy.  It's not like Parsons.  He had one incident on campus that was minor.  Some concerns about Toney's pursuit of a music career that reminds me some of D. Jax. 

Also I listened to a guy who covered him at UF who loves him and said he worked like a maniac to really develop over time as a player and brings a lot of energy to that sideline -- good teammate, etc.

I don't pretend to have any full take on a player's personality or play.  But clearly there is enough there for the team to be intrigued to talk to him.  I know they spoke to him at least once and its recent, and I believe that's their second conversation with him but I could be wrong about it being #2.  But I am pretty sure its twice now.

Funny article in parts below.  Love the part that he has the strongest arm on the team. 

https://floridagators.com/news/2020/11/6/football-kadarious-toney-floridas-running-rapping-receiver.aspx

Gators offensive coordinator Brian Johnson recently said Toney probably has the strongest arm on the team despite moving to running back and then receiver with the Gators. He's just different.

"I'm really proud of Kadarius," Johnson said. "I think it just goes to show his overall football intelligence. He literally can play all three spots for us at receiver. He has a great football IQ and a really natural feel for the game."

Still, what Toney has done through four games this season has opened Orange & Blue eyes and beyond. He has 22 catches and six touchdowns, showing range as a receiver far beyond the screen passes and dance steps of previous seasons. In the win over Missouri, Toney ran a crisp route, juked a defender to get open, and caught a 30-yard touchdown down the field and added a 16-yard run that broke the game open early in the second half.

Toney's improved route-running and ability to get open has Georgia's attention.

"Much more [of a threat]," Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart said this week. "He was always good. Now, it's like he's a more polished receiver on top of the utility stuff. He's extremely hard to tackle. He's got extreme one-step quickness and he plays powerful. When people hit him, he doesn't go backwards. He's physical in what he does. He has become a better receiver."

But not by accident or via gifted athleticism alone. Toney said his improvement began to take shape last season as he worked to return from injuries. The time away prompted a re-evaluation of what kind of player he was and wanted to be.

Not playing also refueled his love for the sport. He grew up playing other sports, but by high school, Toney said his affinity for football far surpassed the rest.

"It's just really the mindset that evolved over the time I was injured,'' Toney said. "It just made me look at a whole different aspect of the game and what I got to do to get better and how to improve myself. I just took that and focused on what I needed to focus on.

"On my end, it was like I felt I was letting people down because I know what I bring to the game,'' he continued. "To see my teammates out there playing, I felt like I was letting those guys down. That's why I ended with a big bang after I came back from my injury. I was just so full of energy and ready to get at it."

In Florida's win over Florida State, Toney caught a season-high four passes for 65 yards, which in his view helped set the tone for his offseason.

"That's a glimpse of what I'm doing this year,'' he said. "It's really just a perspective kind of thing, honestly, to me. I was never put in position to make those kinds of plays. I was always just a gadget guy in a way. I developed over this summer by fully running around and getting connected with the quarterbacks and other receivers on working with technique and the different things I need to do."

Toney credits receivers coach Billy Gonzales and Florida's talented group of receivers, including the veteran group from a season ago now in the NFL, with really helping him understand the nuances of the position. He can take care of the rest with his ability.

The way Toney has improved this season, he will be joining his former teammates in the NFL next season.

"He's done a great job. We know he's a playmaker, but he's really worked on becoming an every-down player,'' Gators coach Dan Mullen said. "You put the ball in his hand and watching him make people miss or breaking tackles is one thing. The thing I've been most pleased with is his his route-running and his ability to take that talent and his quickness and his escapability and put that into route-running context and be a great route runner." 

VERSATILE PERFORMER

Much like the player he has become on the field, Toney is also multi-dimensional away from the spotlight of playing for the Gators. He is an aspiring rap artist whose stage name is Yung Joka.

Yung Joka is his escape from the game.

"I will say the music actually keeps me balanced and it helps me express how I feel about things and get in touch with other people,'' he said. "I've seen my music touch people and affect them in a positive way. That keeps me motivated and neutral about a lot of things."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

Lots of talk about taking RB at 19 because they will be best available.  I am praying we get LB and LT in rounds 1 and 2.

Hearing about studs and super stars, I had a fresh thought last night.  If we take ZCollins in the first, I think that with our dline, he will be in the running for defensive ROTY.  He is a good LB, but on our team, he will have ints, forced fumbles, tackles in the holes that are bone crushing.....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Lots of talk about taking RB at 19 because they will be best available.  I am praying we get LB and LT in rounds 1 and 2.

Hearing about studs and super stars, I had a fresh thought last night.  If we take ZCollins in the first, I think that with our dline, he will be in the running for defensive ROTY.  He is a good LB, but on our team, he will have ints, forced fumbles, tackles in the holes that are bone crushing.....

I'm just concerned about Zaven's ability to cover guys. He's big but slow  and it appears we're gonna be playing a lot more man to man type D. We were in nickel with just 2 LBs a lot last year.

My only question is, if we do get someone like Najee Harris, is Gibson then ready for what his role is about to be? The only way it actually makes sense is if we use Gibson as a slot WR, or stretch him out wide on occasion as well, in addition to get 10 or so carries a game. The guy is going to have to know the offense like the back of his hand. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1