Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Supposedly, Mac Jones is the QB of choice for the Broncos.  They currently pick 10th.  I'm going to guess that means they've got Jones as QB #3 on their board.

Poor kid...Denver's the kiss of death for QB's. 

Hard to believe he can move up that far that fast but he is the QB flavor of the week

I still think he goes in the 20-30 range. Hey, a few weeks ago he was a mid 2nd rounder

10 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Supposedly, Mac Jones is the QB of choice for the Broncos.  They currently pick 10th.  I'm going to guess that means they've got Jones as QB #3 on their board.

So he'll be a bust. Elway might be the worst evaluator of QB talent ever.

On 12/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, Anselmheifer said:

Allen Robinson, McLaurin, Gibson, 1st round OT, 2nd and 3rd round RB and TE in some order. That, plus Alex Smith, could make us a team like last year's Titans. Very solid on both sides of the ball and able to punch above our weight in the playoffs. I still think we need a prime time QB to be elite.

Also, while I'm not in favor of picking LB in the 1st, and I don't think we will be choosing high enough to grab Parsons, I can't but think about how much he would help our blitz packages. He's just so explosive and twitchy as a blitzer. He would be such a huge upgrade for us. 

Man, if you go OT in the 1st I sure would rather see a LB like Moses, Cox, Bolton with either the 2nd or 3rd. Then with the other take a TE like Freiermuth or Jordan or maybe Ridder at QB.

51 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Rondale Moore is also strong as **** though and can squat like 600 lbs so I wouldn't go quite so far with comparing him to Desean Jackson as far as durability. If I remember correctly he had a knee/hamstring injury against Minnesota where he planted his foot wrong and hyper-extended his knee. I'm willing to roll the dice on stuff like that for a player of his caliber. 

He's a different style of player than Desean so I didn't mean in a strict sense.  He played only 4 games last year because of that nagging hamstring injury, then I saw something about him injuring his finger, etc. 

But its not so much about his past, its for me about his size in combination to the style that he plays where he takes some serious chances in the open field.  It doesn't preclude me from taking him but I am not shrugging it off either as something not to worry about. 

He's a fun watch.  I would take though Devonta Smith or J. Chase over him.  I still got to watch Bateman.

33 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He was my fallback guy if we picked a QB in the 19-22 range in the firsr.  I like Jones, I wouldn't swear by him but I'd roll the dice on him.  Having said that I wouldn't sweat not landing him.

The thing is with some of these Juniors including Jones they might decide to remain in school. 

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's a different style of player than Desean so I didn't mean in a strict sense.  He played only 4 games last year because of that nagging hamstring injury, then I saw something about him injuring his finger, etc. 

But its not so much about his past, its for me about his size in combination to the style that he plays where he takes some serious chances in the open field.  It doesn't preclude me from taking him but I am not shrugging it off either as something not to worry about. 

He's a fun watch.  I would take though Devonta Smith or J. Chase over him.  I still got to watch Bateman.

Yup, I feel you. At first blush I would take both of them as well over RM and could see Devonta having the kind of rookie season Justin Jefferson is having. But, RM would be a great fit for us and would be supremely versatile in this system. I was worried about his injury history as well, but was somewhat reassured to see they were non-contact related for the most part. However, he does carry that explosive trait that can lend itself to recurring soft tissue injuries. I feel that can be handled better by Ryan Vermillion (sp?) and his staff than our old crew. 

He’s gaining steam. The more hyped and analyzed QBs that are found to be serviceable is a good thing for us. That means guys are going to fall into more natural slotting than be reached for. There may even be a quality QB in the 2nd if we go that route.

Though I’m starting to think that isn’t the direction Rivera/Smith are planning on going.

The emergence of Josh Allen has be thinking not only about valuing traits in QB’s, but also about giving QB’s receiving options. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the Bills drastically improved their receiving corps and now Allen looks like a stud. 

Can someone give me a comparative breakdown of Desmond Ridder vs Trey Lance? Both seem like developmental mobile QB’s with big arms. Why is one a possible top 10 pick and the other a 2nd round pick?

😭

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

He’s gaining steam. The more hyped and analyzed QBs that are found to be serviceable is a good thing for us. That means guys are going to fall into more natural slotting than be reached for. There may even be a quality QB in the 2nd if we go that route.

Though I’m starting to think that isn’t the direction Rivera/Smith are planning on going.

Not taking a QB in the 2nd? 

18 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Not taking a QB in the 2nd? 

I'm not sure the plan involves taking a QB unless one falls in our lap. 

I don't think our people are looking at this draft with any real must draft positions in their head. I think they are going to grade their guys, assign some weights to em and see how it plays.

As fans we like to say, "WE NEED xxxx". And that is true. But when building a team, and with the nature of the draft, unless you're picking real high you really can't come up with any kind of real plan for this stuff.

Grade em out and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't think our FO is actively looking at any position and saying, "we need to draft this". 

Just now, KDawg said:

I'm not sure the plan involves taking a QB unless one falls in our lap. 

I don't think our people are looking at this draft with any real must draft positions in their head. I think they are going to grade their guys, assign some weights to em and see how it plays.

As fans we like to say, "WE NEED xxxx". And that is true. But when building a team, and with the nature of the draft, unless you're picking real high you really can't come up with any kind of real plan for this stuff.

Grade em out and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't think our FO is actively looking at any position and saying, "we need to draft this". 

Yeah i agree, that's along the same lines of what i was saying a couple weeks ago.  

This Front Office will not take a QB that grades out at 70 when they can get an MLB that grades out at 85.  I honestly think anything is possible.  

41 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The emergence of Josh Allen has be thinking not only about valuing traits in QB’s, but also about giving QB’s receiving options. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the Bills drastically improved their receiving corps and now Allen looks like a stud. 

Can someone give me a comparative breakdown of Desmond Ridder vs Trey Lance? Both seem like developmental mobile QB’s with big arms. Why is one a possible top 10 pick and the other a 2nd round pick?

Josh also benefited from Buffalo revamping their OL but yes, he was given a great slot, 2 outside WR's and a good all around TE.

After all the years of failed 1st round QB and WR selections in Washington, I usually look towards the mid rounds in hopes of a gem. Ridder was one that I had my eye on and he has improved more with each game this year. 

Primarily both QBs have all the positive traits you want. With Lance the main things are he is raw...you will see this in almost any eval partially due to level of competition and lack of games played (he also has off the charts potential). He stares down receivers, takes a lot of hits both from running and needing more pressure awareness and needs to learn to slide (yes another RG3 no slider).  Ridder on the other hand is mature with lots of starts and has really played well this season. His biggest downfall seems like he is always trying to find the bigger play so can hold the ball too long instead of pulling the trigger on the shorter pass.

I'd definitely be good with Ridder in the 2nd. Will probably need a bit more time to be ready for the NFL game but he has enormous upside. Huge arm, mobile with good escape skills, good accuracy with an excellent deep ball (he really hits guys in stride and drops it right in the breadbasket with the right amount of float), pretty good footwork (but could stand to quicken his drops and feet up a bit...seemed a little sluggish at times), quick release. 

I'd prefer Ridder in the 2nd to Lance in the 1st to be honest.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah i agree, that's along the same lines of what i was saying a couple weeks ago.  

This Front Office will not take a QB that grades out at 70 when they can get an MLB that grades out at 85.  I honestly think anything is possible.  

I don't think the FO will force any pick.  But I trust Keim the most among all of the beat guys and he said recently he strongly believes they will be look hard at QBs in the off season.  Keim typically doesn't causually throw stuff against the wall so I am guessing he's heard that from someone he trusts albeit he didn't say where his take was coming from one way or another.  Will see.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think the FO will force any pick.  But I trust Keim the most among all of the beat guys and he said recently he strongly believes they will be look hard at QBs in the off season.  Keim typically doesn't causually throw stuff against the wall so I am guessing he's heard that from someone he trusts albeit he didn't say where his take was coming from one way or another.  Will see.

Its got to be in the draft, right??  Is Alex coming back next year?

Do we like Darnold?  He's worth at most a 4th IMO, considering the young QBs coming out and the lack of leverage for the Jets.  Is Darnold that much of an upgrade over Kyle Allen?  

So I watched a bunch of safeties the last few days... And by a bunch I mean I scoured the internet and found enough to watch on a few guys but a lot of these dudes don't have much out there...

So my list of rankings, followed by the guys I've tried to find good stuff on and have struggled a bit or guys I haven't gotten to yet...

1) Paris Ford (Pitt) -  Fast, wraps up, when a guy is off balance hits with hands to tip rather than accrue a penalty, heady, good cod, triggers well, understands route concepts, not afraid of contact. Extremely athletic and football intelligence shines through. Offenses are nervous about him and they should be. 

2) Caden Sterns (Texas) -  Great size, doesn't leave his man when QB breaks pocket, tight in zone and man coverage situations, absolute ballhawk and downhill tackler, smart, young, may be the most athletic in the group. He makes some ridiculous plays when he breaks for the football. 

3) Jevon Holland (Oregon) -  Ballhawk safety, good feel for the football. A lot of his interceptions came on horribly thrown balls, but has good, tight coverage and surreal athleticism. Closes gaps real well and can play special teams as well. Has excellent vision and awareness as a return man and as a free safety. He is not a thumper. At all. He's a finesse over the top safety that CAN play downhill but isn't where he will make his money.

4) Trevon Moehrig (TCU) -  Has excellent range EXTREMELY athletic. Really electric burst. Closes extremely well on pass and triggers well on bubble as a closer to the box guy. Has good football instincts. Doesn't read as well as guys like Holland, Ford and Sterns but reacts as good or better than all of them. Plays with a mean streak and some umph. He is sometimes reckless in his tackles, lowers his head a bit. He likes to chirp.

5) Andre Cisco (Syracuse) -  Can play hi and low, susceptible to double moves when low, not always around the ball, versatile, can function as a slot guy, athletic, good size, not a thumper. There has to be some concern of the injury he's coming off of and how it effects him as a player in the next few seasons. 

6) Richie Grant (UCF) -  Plays more as a "rush" safety. Almost functions as a rush backer, good burst and pass rusher, good run angles, great closing speed and awareness of where the football is, okay in coverage but would shine in a role that allows him to rush and play more in the box. He's a guy that could be a lot higher on your list if you're looking for a high box/rush option to add to your defensive toolkit. 

7) Richard LeCounte (Georgia) - Finds the ball, takes some bad angles in run support, when he gets hands on he usually brings you down, plays recklessly at times which makes him susceptible to penalties

List of guys I need to find stuff on or still haven't watched:

Donovan Stiner* Florida
Jaewon Taylor Florida
Aashari Crosswell Arizona State
James Wiggins Cincinnati
JR Pace Northwestern
Prudy Calderon* Rice
Talanoa Hufanga USC
Ar'Darius Washington TCU
Eric Burrell Wisconsin
Hamsah Nasirildeen Florida State
Bubba Bolden Miami
Smoke Monday Auburn
Kolby Harvell-Peel Oklahoma State
Jacoby Stevens LSU
Delarrin Turner-Yell Oklahoma
Leon O'Neal, Jr. Texas A&M
Ifeatu Melifonwu Syracuse

I will say this... the little I got to see of Hufanga (****ty highlight reels and some live stuff)... Dude had to be inspired by the way Polamalu plays because he plays very similarly. NOTE: I didn't say he IS Polamalu. I really can't tell from the stuff I've seen yet. But he definitely used him as a model. 

Archived