Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Overall I'd say Wilson is slightly better than I expected. He has some raw skills that can't be coached and also, from the commentary, some great intangibles. He will burn you if you give him time, but he also missed a few throws when pressure started getting to him. I think the fact that he doesn't get to face competition week in and week out will cause him to have a learning curve. He has all of the skills, but I see him needing a bit of time to adjust to the speed and competition on this level. He also has some Kyle Allen recklessness with his body in his game. He will want to lose that asap or he will be injured often.

I wouldn't prefer drafting him top 10 as he doesn't seem like one of the top 10 prospects in the country, in my opinion. However if we fill the right holes in free agency, I would understand the selection. He's a QB with a lot of potential and those guys get a bump in value in the draft. I'd fully expect to be defending him from our impatient fans though. He showed me today that he will have some growing pains, but in the right situation, he can develop into a great QB. I still get the boom or bust vibe- especially once he will be dealing with a legit pass rush every week. Their NCAA playoff hopes are dead, but I would still like to see him in a bowl game against a good defense. Today's game was more about the BYU Offensive Coordinator than Wilson for me. Some head scratcher calls for a team with a Heisman candidate QB.

Watching Mac Jones again.  I think right now he's my clear #5.

Jones to me seems so solid across the board.  He doesn't have a rocket of an arm but its good.  He's not the most mobile dude but he can have nifty footwork climbing the pocket and escaping pressure when he needs to.   He has decent accuracy.  Good touch.  He throws a good deep ball.   I would say what I like the most about him is his ball handling skills. For a dude that's not the most athletic, he's good at contorting his body in ways to throw off defenders.  Reminds me of Brees a little as to that specific trait.  He will throw off defenders by initially moving his body one way but then turns and throws it the opposite way.  He's really good at selling play action which arguably was Kirk best skill when he was here.  He's very conscious of trying to misdirect defenders and I like that about him.

I think Jones has some potential.  What i'd love to see more are some tight intermediate type throws and the ability to shake off defenders more moving laterally.   I am firmly right now Jones > Trask.  And yeah like all these guys its not easy to factor context.  For Jones, he is often playing where the sky is bright blue and sunny and the stars align.  So that to me is the mystery about him.  I wouldn't bet the house on Jones.   But I'd have no problem rolling the dice on him if we are picking late first. 

On another note, I and @stevemcqueen1 have been on Devonta Smith's bandwagon since early last season.  What a player.  The fact that the dude is 180 pounds and not lightening fast probably drops him to the 15-25 range in this draft.  But I'd take him happily as a consulation prize.  All he does is get open and make big plays.  The best hands IMO of all the stud Alabama receivers in the last two seasons and the most clutch of the bunch too.  And for a smallish dude he's a tough SOB -- feisty. 

On offense, Alabama might have a QB, three O lineman, a RB and two receivers going in the first two rounds.  If Kyle Smith is still on an Alabama kick, this isn't a bad year to double down on it.

7 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Hard pass on Wilson 1st round. Gonna be rough to get a 1st round qb talent without taking a huge risk on Lance if he’s still available. I’d draft a need and let Kyle Allen or Haskins run it again for a season. Sucky situation

Hard pass based on what?  Would you take Lance over Wilson?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Hard pass on Wilson 1st round. Gonna be rough to get a 1st round qb talent without taking a huge risk on Lance if he’s still available. I’d draft a need and let Kyle Allen or Haskins run it again for a season. Sucky situation

What game were you watching? If Wilson falls outside the top 5, I’m trading 2 1sts to move up to grab him. The guy is a franchise QB - I don’t know if he’ll be a top 5 QB in the NFL but I feel very confident he ends up top 12 if he can stay healthy

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, I and @stevemcqueen1 have been on Devonta Smith's bandwagon since early last season.  What a player.  The fact that the dude is 180 pounds and not lightening fast probably drops him to the 15-25 range in this draft.  But I'd take him happily as a consulation prize.  All he does his get open and make big plays.  The best hands IMO of all the stud Alabama receivers in the last two seasons and the most clutch of the bunch too.  And for a smallish dude he's a tough SOB -- feisty. 

I’m wary of Smith after watching Jeudy and Ruggs struggle in the NFL. I’d avoid him

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, I and @stevemcqueen1 have been on Devonta Smith's bandwagon since early last season.  What a player.  The fact that the dude is 180 pounds and not lightening fast probably drops him to the 15-25 range in this draft.  But I'd take him happily as a consulation prize.  All he does is get open and make big plays.  The best hands IMO of all the stud Alabama receivers in the last two seasons and the most clutch of the bunch too.  And for a smallish dude he's a tough SOB -- feisty. 

On offense, Alabama might have a QB, three O lineman, a RB and two receivers going in the first two rounds.  If Kyle Smith is still on an Alabama kick, this isn't a bad year to double down on it.

Hard pass based on what?  Would you take Lance over Wilson?

Id take lance over Wilson any day. Never been a fan of Wilson. He was mediocre last year and looked mediocre against the first decent team he played this year. I can’t believe he’s actually being considered for a first round pick.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

GoatFerottes the guy alone on the Youngs a bust hill, so probably best t ignore him.

You’re that immature that you can’t leave that in the Young thread but have to carry it over here. Yikes

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I’m wary of Smith after watching Jeudy and Ruggs struggle in the NFL. I’d avoid him

Totally different type of players but Jeudy by the way isn't struggling in the NFL.  And its not as if Alabama Wrs just in general struggle in the NFL.  They have had a nice run. 

2 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Id take lance over Wilson any day. Never been a fan of Wilson. He was mediocre last year and looked mediocre against the first decent team he played this year. I can’t believe he’s actually being considered for a first round pick.

I'll heed to @Koolblue13's advice here.    I'll just say I wouldn't worry since I don't think we will have a shot to draft him anyway.  😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Totally different type of players but Jeudy by the way isn't struggling in the NFL.  And its not as if Alabama Wrs just in general struggle in the NFL.  They have had a nice run. 

I'll heed to @Koolblue13's advice here.    I'll just say I wouldn't worry since I don't think we will have a shot to draft him anyway.  😀

Trubisky level mistake but someone will take a risk. Hopefully it’s not us

Watched the BYU game. Coastal Carolina's defense is legit and they had Wilson struggling some at times. But overall I thought he looked pretty good considering. He evaded pressure well and seemed to keep his head on when it was around him, made some big plays and big throws in clutch situations. He also had guys drop at least 4-5 balls that should have been caught.

And good lord, BYU's defense absolutely could not get off the damn field. How many 15+ play scoring drives did Coastal Carolina have? BYU had absolutely zero answer for their rushing attack.

Wilson's INT I don't really count since it was an end of the half hail mary. I'm not sure if his so-so outing will affect his draft stock much. The hype might drop a bit but I think he's still a likely top 10 pick. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Watched the BYU game. Coastal Carolina's defense is legit and they had Wilson struggling some at times. But overall I thought he looked pretty good considering. He evaded pressure well and seemed to keep his head on when it was around him, made some big plays and big throws in clutch situations. He also had guys drop at least 4-5 balls that should have been caught.

And good lord, BYU's defense absolutely could not get off the damn field. How many 15+ play scoring drives did Coastal Carolina have? BYU had absolutely zero answer for their rushing attack.

Wilson's INT I don't really count since it was an end of the half hail mary. I'm not sure if his so-so outing will affect his draft stock much. The hype might drop a bit but I think he's still a likely top 10 pick. 

I’ve been looking around for reactions to the game and I don’t think it hurt his stock. I agree he goes top 10 - let’s hope Lance lights up the combine so Wilson drops. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

We have some ways to go still but I'd guess top 5.  Also if Jay has an say in who Jax drafts he strikes me so much more a Zach Wilson over Justin Fields kind of guy.  I don't think Brugler's mock which had Zach going #2 is that far fetched.  I think its possible.  

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's similar to Calvin Ridley.  Ridley might have been more of an all purpose weapon and star while he was there, but that was probably a function of Bama not having as many passing game weapons back then.  He just knows how to get open and he always makes the play for you.

Another one of my guys Ty Fryfogle has been quiet the past two weeks.  I'm hoping he is available on Day 2 because I think he could be a really nice outside prospect.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Just saw a mock draft that has the WFT taking Smith at pick #12......how sweet would that be?

I probably commented more in the 2019 draft thread about Devonta Smith than any other player even those he was the least sexy so to speak of their four stud receivers last year.   He plays a lot of X for Alabama  but I think he'd be a good Z. I'd love it. 

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's similar to Calvin Ridley.  Ridley might have been more of an all purpose weapon and star while he was there, but that was probably a function of Bama not having as many passing game weapons back then.  He just knows how to get open and he always makes the play for you.

i think Smith might be better.  But I know what you mean as for their styles.  Sounds like you are watching Clemson tonight.  I am glued on the Alabama one and Smith is putting on a clinic.  Big time YAC.  Acrobatic catches.  Deep route TDs.  Everything in the kitchen sink.  It's one of the better games i've ever seen from any college receiver.   and like you i loved him last season but he's taking it up a peg higher this season and today he's been absolutely insane.  The dude looks like Jerry Rice tonight. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I probably commented more in the 2019 draft thread about Devonta Smith than any other player even those he was the least sexy so to speak of their four stud receivers last year.   He plays a lot of X for Alabama  but I think he'd be a good Z. I'd love it. 

Seeing the direction this team is going in, I would be very comfortable taking Smith next year while Alex and Kyle manned the QB spot until we find our next guy to groom. Boy would Devonta Smith add another dimension to the offense....wow. Good God.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We have some ways to go still but I'd guess top 5.  Also if Jay has an say in who Jax drafts he strikes me so much more a Zach Wilson over Justin Fields kind of guy.  I don't think Brugler's mock which had Zach going #2 is that far fetched.  I think its possible.  

Yeah, I think it's still very much possible that he goes top 5. If he had absolutely wilted under the pressure from Coastal Carolina's D and threw multiple INTs, clearly got flustered, and panicked a bunch, then I could see his stock slipping. But considering how good their defense is he still made some really impressive plays, had some great throws, and didn't seem to get rattled by the pass rush. 

Maybe I was just being hopeful when I said top 10.  :ols:

7 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I would love to have him and Terry together! That would be fun

With Alex Smith throwing them the ball  😔

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1