Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

You and I both know the best QBs this year are gonna end up being Tanner Morgan and Brock Purdy

lol, one darkhorse QB is likely going to end up good since that's how it typically goes.  The mystery is always whom?  If I had to pick one right now it will be among Ridder, Newman, Mond.  Ridder being my fav right now but I notice he has some vocal detractors among them the PFF guys.  

After Fields my favorite would be Wilson.   Be interesting to see how he does today, i am actualy rooting for a subpar game.  I think a big game takes us out of the running for him completely.

Everything being equal I prefer a QB with some mobility.  If I get a more stationary type QB than i want a dude who is a special pocket passer which I don't think either Trask or Jones are.  Jones at least has decent foot quickness so I'd be more inclined to ride it with him than Trask plus i think he has the better arm.   I'll watch both again today, I am really trying to hard to love those guys and I don't hate either one. 

I think all these guys require some serious projection with the exception of Fields (and I know some disagree with me here on that) and Lawrence.   I am a Wilson guy in that next group because of his skill set.  I don't think Trask, Jones match him on that front. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Also we probaby can't stress enough the power of through the roof intangibles.  To say Peyton and Brady worked hard would be a wild understatement.   Their work ethic was maniacal.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2015/10/21/guregian-tom-bradys-increased-mobility-makes-him-even-better/

The guys we usually talk about are Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck. Those are the guys that have the ability to move around and still make plays,” Edwards said. “Tom has been a guy, if you let him step up in the pocket, he had nowhere to escape. He wouldn’t even try to escape. He’d just throw the ball away. Now, he’ll escape to the left or to the right and still find ways to make passes. It’s a credit to him.”

Not everyone who has accomplished as much as Brady, or played as long, would work so hard in an area that does not come naturally.

Brady even joked last year that he didn’t have “one cell in my body that ever tells me to run.” But he still took on the task, working diligently to improve his footwork and balance, which in turn helped his throwing mechanics when he’s on the move. The results speak for themselves.

“He’s always searching for excellence and improvement. That’s why he’s had the career he’s had. He’s never satisfied,” Edwards said. “Even with what he’s accomplished, it’s always about, ‘How can I become better?’ He’s probably looked at himself and said, ‘This is something I can improve on, this is something I can work on in the offseason, this is how I can stay ahead of the game.’

“Because he can do everything else,’’ Edwards added. “Whether it’s at the line of scrimmage, he can read the coverage and he can get the ball out of his hands and make all the throws, so it’s more about, ‘I’ve got to make more throws on the move. I’ve got to create a little more with my feet.’”

Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels agreed. He spoke yesterday during a conference call about how hard Brady has worked and all the time he’s put into incorporating routines to help with his footwork and his ability to extend plays.

“For a guy (whose mobility) was never something that people talked about being a strength of his game, he’s certainly been a guy who’s been able to make some plays in that area in the last few years that have really, really been productive,” McDaniels said. “A lot of them have been in the red area and some on third down, but he just, his will and drive to get better in an area of his game that he didn’t feel like was as productive as he wanted it to be, is really where that stems from. . . . He’s made it a focal point of his ability to try to make some plays when people play us certain ways and give him some time to move in the pocket. So he’s definitely improved in that area.

Damonte Coxie. 40 time will kill his stock, proven production, likely scouted alongside Gibson. Not a superstar in the making. But a unit at WR. Opted out. Could be a target.

Calvin Austin III the year after.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

I think you can live in the league as a pocket QB, or even thrive... Even in the current spread and run offensive schemes we're seeing... But you have to get the ball out quickly and have excellent placement. 

I agree that Wilson tends to throw the ball in poor places that he won't get away with in the NFL. 

That can be refined a bit... but it's not easy. Mobility saves him a bit. 

I keep waffling on Wilson vs. Lance.

For the last month I was Wilson > Lance... now I'm Lance > Wilson. That'll change again... I'm sure. 

• Like 1

Only one drive so far for Wilson.  I am rooting for a subpar performance.  IMO he has the right skill as a developmental QB.  But I's say zero shot he goes outside of the top 5 if he lights up Coastal Carolina today.  One good thing is Carolina can really eat the clock so that alone will help keep his numbers down.  😀

I watched most of Florida's game but switched to BYU, my opinion on Trask hasn't changed.  Don't love him, don't hate him.  

46 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Shh...  no you're not

5 TD's by him today...

3 throwing...

2 running, one TD run for 28 yards ; another TD run for 17 yards.

When he chooses to run for it, he can really book it.

When he chooses to throw, he can read defenses like a book.

He'll be a great NFL QB - you can book that !

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

I am flipping back and forth from the UF and BYU game, Trask just made a play that gives me some hope about him.  Nice roll out to the right, TD pass into the end zone.   

On another note, Kyle Pitts is unbelievable.   He's going top 10 almost for sure IMO. 

• Like 2

i am not getting the subpar performance thus far that i wanted from Wilson so he drops.

I don't care who the heck the dude is playing to my eyes his skill set is special.  He just threw about a Hail Mary almost 70 yards down the field -- insane.   Just like his idol Aaron Rodgers.  Just before that he rolled to his right and flung about a 20 yard dime across his body without readjusting his feet like a shortstop.  

I don't care that for example that Trask is playing teams like Georgia, he physically can't do the things that Wilson does.  Simple as that.  That to me is no mystery and not a debate.  As for whether Wilson can be thwarted by stiffer competition -- that's certainly debatable. But as for sheer arm talent and mobilty it isn't even IMO a discussion.   It's not close IMO. 

Then you add the broadcasters talking about his supposedly insane work ethic.  Constantly studying the greats nonstop.

After Fields that's the dude I want and to me its close between him and Fields.  I'd easily take Wilson over Lance.

Now that i said that Wilson will likely bomb in the 2nd half.  😀

• Like 3

BYU did a lot of running to start the game and Coastal Carolina dominated time of possession so Wilson didn't get many opportunities to showcase. The cross body throw on 3rd and 15 was impressive, and the announcers have been talking him up a lot. It was a slow start but he seems to be picking it up. The INT was a hail mary to end the half for the stat watchers. I'm interested to see how he closes this game out since it looks to be competitive.

BYU's OC is killing me with all the QB run plays on 3rd down. At least call a rollout to give a run pass option. I actually like that Coastal is roughing him up if only to see how he responds. This is the adversity he needed. As the announcer said, this is the closest thing to a pass rush he's seen this season.

Whomever here compared Zach Allen stylistically to Josh Allen and I shot it down weeks ago -- i apologize.  Is his arm strength Allen level?  Nope.  But it is really really great.

He just threw a ball from his own 15 to about the 20 to the other side of the field -- and hit his receiver but the dude dropped it.   Wow.  He has the arm zip on the intermediate throws, too.  

But his arm strength on the deep ball is special. 

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think you can live in the league as a pocket QB, or even thrive... Even in the current spread and run offensive schemes we're seeing... But you have to get the ball out quickly and have excellent placement. 

I agree that Wilson tends to throw the ball in poor places that he won't get away with in the NFL. 

That can be refined a bit... but it's not easy. Mobility saves him a bit. 

I keep waffling on Wilson vs. Lance.

For the last month I was Wilson > Lance... now I'm Lance > Wilson. That'll change again... I'm sure. 

I'm going all in that RR does not take a QB in the 1st round if we win the division and pick later in the round. He will continue to take the best player available, likely on defense and use vets at the QB position. Maybe if one of the two guys you speak of slips to us in round 2 we take him depending on how we do in free agency....playmaking linebacker or safety is my bet in round one unless an absolute stud WR falls to us.

12 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Part of me thinks the throw across the body wasn't a good throw because its so dangerous.

Normally I'd agree, but I have to respect the quick snap release and flip of the hips on that throw. Every QB can't do that. 

4 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Normally I'd agree, but I have to respect the quick snap release and flip of the hips on that throw. Every QB can't do that. 

He looks like a great pro prospect....very poised, confident. I'd be down with grabbing this kid if we can.