Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

It's absolutely amazing that we could be in the perfect position to draft a solid QB and not have to rely on him immediately. Have to keep Smith and Allen for another year and hope we don't blow through 2 QBs next season and he can just sit. Great position to be for Lance really. Just sit at QB3 and learn from a master like Smith.

Also, with 2,3,3 in a draft that looks very good for LB and TE in those rounds. I'm going to be furious if we don't address that. Thomas is starting to look pretty good, but he's an excellent TE2 and a sub par starter. Pick, Thomas, Moss looks like a strong position group. Holcomb looks like a solid starter, but we have nothing else there. Absolutely nothing. 

I assume there will be some late flyers on DBs and Oline day 3.

• Like 1

I can be talked into Mac Jones definitely easier than Trask.  They both typically have all day to throw and have killer receivers.    Jones does have a quick enough release, strong enough arm and throws a good deep ball.  I am more sold on his potential than Trask. 

Trask has good touch, he seems mostly sound mechnically, throws a nice quick out route that reminds me some of Daniel Jones but IMO he does not have enough mobility or zip on tight window throws.  If you flush him out of the pocket his footwork can get messed up.   I just rewatched both Trask and Jones play Georgia.  Both put up good numbers.  Trask was lucky though he didn't have 4 INTS versus the 1 he ended up with.   

Part of what makes them hard to evaluate is they are rarely under stress, they typically have ideal situations and neither one IMO have elite traits and they are pocket passers who can't rely on mobility as a crutch if needed the way someone like Ridder or Newman could.   Both dudes are bold throwing contested catches to their stud receivers and it pays off for them.  I just wonder how that translates to the much more competitive NFL. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Interesting, @Skinsinparadise. What if Kyle and Ron take Mac Jones in the 2nd? Could be the move!

I am guessing he goes late first.  Late first is often the sweet spot for sort of these borderline first rounder type of QBs because you get the extra contract year and you avoid worrying about the dude being grabbed in the early 2nd.

I am back and forth on Jones.  I wouldn't hate it if they took him.  I like aspects of his game.  Maybe he can be a Derrek Carr type?   I am not smitten by him the way i am with Fields and Wilson.  He doesn't scream star QB to me.  But in that 2nd tier grouping he's probably my favorite.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Jones may not make it that far. As many as 6 QBs could go in the first.

Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance and Jones may be the 5th off the board. Him or Trask.

Like mentioned earlier, teams really want that 5th year option on these guys so they take some real risks. 

Yep

Lets say its a lock that the Jets take Lawrence and the Jags take Fields/Wilson (whomever they prefer).  Who else is in the QB market?

The no ways:

1). Jets (Lawrence)

2). Bills (Allen)

3). Dolphins (Tua)

4). Ravens (Lamar)

5). Bengals (Burrow)

6). Texans (Watson)

7). Titans (Tannehill)

8). Jags (Fields/Wilson)

9). Chiefs (Maholmes)

10). Chargers (Herbert)

11). Cowboys (Dak)

12). NYG (Jones)

13). Eagles (Wentz (also due to his contract))

14). Packers (Rodgers, Love)

15). Vikings (Kirk)

16). Cards (Murray)

17). Seattle (Wilson)

18). Rams (Goff)

The most likely not:

19). Browns (Mayfield (He's really limited honestly)

20). Falcons (too hard to get rid of Ryan with his contract)

21). Lions (See above with Stafford unless they trade him)

22). Raiders (Carr is having a good enough season to stay)

The maybes:

23). Panthers (Bridgwater is having a fine season, but maybe they decide to go QB)

24). 49ers (Can get out of Jimmy G's contract pretty easily)

25). Saints (Depends on how they view Hill)

26). Bucs (Do they draft a Brady replacement?)

The rest:

27). Broncos (Lock hasn't exactly torn it up)

28). Pats (Do they resign Cam)

29). Colts (is Rivers back for one more year)

30). Pittsburgh (Need a Big Ben replacement)

31). Bears (Looks like they clean house)

32). Washington (Obviously a need)

So, I see one of the above 6 going for Wilson/Fields (whomever the Jags pass on) (Looks like Denver  and us (if we lose the division) will be in range to trade up.  Also figure that Lance is also a target for these 6 teams.  It'll be interesting on what happens.

24 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Lets say its a lock that the Jets take Lawrence and the Jags take Fields/Wilson (whomever they prefer).  Who else is in the QB market?

I can see Minny taking a QB as well as Tennessee. Also, I don't know how sold Giants are on Jones and Dak may not be back in Dallas. Matt Ryan has a lower dead cap hit in 2022 than cap hit by almost 15 Mil so I can see him being cut for a young guy hence them drafting someone early next year to sit. Same with Stafford in Detroit. Niners, Pats, Saints, Bucs, Bears, Colts... I think about half the league may draft a QB in the first this year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I can see Minny taking a QB as well as Tennessee. Also, I don't know how sold Giants are on Jones and Dak may not be back in Dallas. Matt Ryan has a lower dead cap hit in 2022 than cap hit by almost 15 Mil so I can see him being cut for a young guy hence them drafting someone early next year to sit. Same with Stafford in Detroit. Niners, Pats, Saints, Bucs, Bears, Colts... I think about half the league may draft a QB in the first this year.

If Dallas takes a QB, then Dak goes to somewhere else on the list (like Indy or NE) (who both have a ton of cap space).  If we win the division, we might be better off holding on taking a young QB and taking BPA instead. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing he goes late first.  Late first is often the sweet spot for sort of these borderline first rounder type of QBs because you get the extra contract year and you avoid worrying about the dude being grabbed in the early 2nd.

I am back and forth on Jones.  I wouldn't hate it if they took him.  I like aspects of his game.  Maybe he can be a Derrek Carr type?   I am not smitten by him the way i am with Fields and Wilson.  He doesn't scream star QB to me.  But in that 2nd tier grouping he's probably my favorite.

See, I would overpay for a Derek Carr because I think even Carr is more than good enough to get you to the promised land. He won't carry you there, but he can get the offense performing at a high enough level to buoy the defense if he needs to. Look at the shootout against Mahomes on SNF a few weeks back. I'd say the minimum quality you need is a Goff-level guy. Anything below ain't gonna cut it. But once you have a Goff or better, you can build up the other parts of the roster to compensate if you need to. I'm good with that - we don't need a top 5 guy who's going to end up making $50M a year. We just need a certain level of competence to be on a path towards contention, and checking that box is worth a first round pick even at the low-end of that competence range.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can be talked into Mac Jones definitely easier than Trask.  They both typically have all day to throw and have killer receivers.    Jones does have a quick enough release, strong enough arm and throws a good deep ball.  I am more sold on his potential than Trask. 

Trask has good touch, he seems mostly sound mechnically, throws a nice quick out route that reminds me some of Daniel Jones but IMO he does not have enough mobility or zip on tight window throws.  If you flush him out of the pocket his footwork can get messed up.   I just rewatched both Trask and Jones play Georgia.  Both put up good numbers.  Trask was lucky though he didn't have 4 INTS versus the 1 he ended up with.   

Part of what makes them hard to evaluate is they are rarely under stress, they typically have ideal situations and neither one IMO have elite traits and they are pocket passers who can't rely on mobility as a crutch if needed the way someone like Ridder or Newman could.   Both dudes are bold throwing contested catches to their stud receivers and it pays off for them.  I just wonder how that translates to the much more competitive NFL.

I appreciate your incites and the work you put in on the draft.  Your comments are impressive and I respect your opinions.

I do have a hard time reconciling these comments on Jones and Trask in view of your opinion of Wilson, however.  These SEC quarterbacks do face pressure and strong, well-coached defenses nearly every week.  Frankly, the worst defense either Florida or Alabama face is head and shoulders above the best defense that BYU faces, IMO.  Yes, Jones is a traditional pro pocket passer, but he is hit after the throw very often, and does step up to avoid pressure regularly.  He throws absolute dimes even when he knows for certain that he is going to get hammered a split second after the ball leaves his hand.  That is a great asset for a QB.  I've seen him pull the ball down and run for first downs when he's had to.  Yes, it certainly isn't his first choice, but he isn't totally inept as a runner.  He has a very good feel for pressure from what I've seen, and I've been watching just about every Alabama game.  I haven't seen Trask nearly as much, but he, too, is facing stiff competition.  I just don't understand the tendency to downgrade QBs on strong teams in strong conferences because oi the other good players on their team, while seemingly discounting the fact that their competition is also very strong.  It seems to me that playing with and against bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and well-coached players is a plus in a draft prospect, rather than a minus.  Knowing his receivers' abilities and tendencies is a strength, not a weakness.  The ability to throw his receivers open is a strength.  I just plain disagree with the notion that any QB would be as successful as Jones has been because Alabama has such good receivers.  I'm just an interested football fan and I'm certainly no expert, but I gotta tell you, I have been very impressed by what I've seen of Jones.  I think he will be a good NFL QB.  I think both the Saints and Steelers are hoping that he makes it down to them, as they are very likely seeking an heir-apparent for Brees and Big Ben.  The Bears and Patriots are possibilities, as well, IMO.  I tell ya, if we somehow win the NFC East and end up with the 19th  pick, I wouldn't mind seeing us grab Jones.  I'd be happy about it, in fact.

What I don't know right now is whether a QB makes sense if we don't win the division.  We surely won't have a shot at Lawrence or Fields.  Sewell will probably go to Cincy.  If Parsons or Pitts is there, they would both be very solid picks IMO.   And there are several really good WRs in this draft.  It seems to be the consensus opinion that it would be too early for Jones or Trask, and I'm just not comfortable spending that high of a pick on Lance.   If Ron and Kyle pick him, I presume that would mean they are sold on him, and they know far more than I, but I would still be nervous about the pick, to be honest.  If Ron and Kyle surprise everyone and take Jones that high, I would not be upset.

The giant question mark for me is what to do if we are on the clock and Wilson is still on the board.  Wilson has looked great, and I'm not really down on him.  I cannot disregard the question of his weak competition, however.  BYU recognizes how their weak schedule has impacted their national standing and have now scheduled an additional game with Coastal Carolina, another team in a similar situation, in hopes of improving that factor.  Perhaps that game may show us something, but I'm hoping BYU plays a serious team in a bowl, so that Wilson can give us a bit better of an idea on how he might perform on Sundays in the future.  He may well be everything you think he is.  I'm just not completely sold until we can see him against better teams.

5 hours ago, Number 44 said:

I appreciate your incites and the work you put in on the draft.  Your comments are impressive and I respect your opinions.

Thanks, I knew though when I read that line a "but" was coming. 😀

I do have a hard time reconciling these comments on Jones and Trask in view of your opinion of Wilson, however.  These SEC quarterbacks do face pressure and strong, well-coached defenses nearly every week.  Frankly, the worst defense either Florida or Alabama face is head and shoulders above the best defense that BYU faces, IMO.  Yes, Jones is a traditional pro pocket passer, but he is hit after the throw very often, and does step up to avoid pressure regularly.  He throws absolute dimes even when he knows for certain that he is going to get hammered a split second after the ball leaves his hand.  That is a great asset for a QB.  I've seen him pull the ball down and run for first downs when he's had to.  Yes, it certainly isn't his first choice, but he isn't totally inept as a runner.  He has a very good feel for pressure from what I've seen, and I've been watching just about every Alabama game. 

I've watched about every Alabama game and even saw Jones play live once.   Seeing QBs live I think help a little because you can see arm strength or lack thereof among other things a bit easier.   I am higher on Jones than most.  I can't think of any draft geek that is actually higher on Jones than Wilson so I don't exactly have an outlier opinion on this.

I've not only seen Jones in real time but at this point I've rewatched his games multiple times.   After reading your post, I watched the Mississippi St game again just now.  Last night I rewatched the Georgia one.  I keep going back to watching Jones because I really want to love Jones.  My kid is an Alabama fan.  He'd get a kick out of it which is a bonus for me.  But more importantly if we draft at the 19-22 range, I think he will be there. 

I am not a fan of studying players I think we have no shot at getting it.  For Jones I think if we want him we got him even if we win the division.  And I somewhat like Jones, I think i am one of the people higher on him on this thread actual.  But I am not enraptured by his skills.  Sorry.  I think he can potentially make it in the NFL but watching him I don't think his ceiling is through the roof.  But me comparing him to Derek Carr potentially is a pretty high complement compared to what most have said.  

Without going into deep detail, I love QBs in today's NFL who are really good at making plays off script.  And if they have quick feet, can use their mobility as an asset, and can throw off platform.  But sorry that's not Mac Jones.  That's Zach Wilson.   And Zach Wilson also has IMO a stronger arm than Mac albiet Mac's arm is strong enough.     They both have good ball placement but with some holes on that front.  Mac is known for his deep ball but IMO Zach throws an even better one. 

I agree that Mac has his moments when he's dodges pressure.  He's certainly not a mess on that front.  He can deal with traffic.   He had a really nice play for example against Georgia where they brought pressure up the middle, he dodged it, climbed the pocket and threw a dime.  He has moments.  Actually Trask does, too in a similar fashion.  But neither dude majors in throwing off script and creating when things break down.  They are more of the types that buy an extra second by narrowly escaping the pursuing defender and then discarding the ball before getting clobbered.    That's not the skill I crave.  The skill I crave is to escape pressure and perhaps take off for a 10-15 yard run like Wilson could do, or dodge multiple defenders and find some daylight to readjust their feet and throw a dime somewhere.  That's Zach Wilson, too. 

Zach is far from perfect.  But the dude is all about improvisation when things break down and has quick feet and is outright fast.  And like Mahomes he can throw off balance well and via awkward arm angles.  That's not Trask and Jones. 

What I don't know right now is whether a QB makes sense if we don't win the division.  We surely won't have a shot at Lawrence or Fields.  Sewell will probably go to Cincy.  If Parsons or Pitts is there, they would both be very solid picks IMO.   And there are several really good WRs in this draft.  It seems to be the consensus opinion that it would be too early for Jones or Trask, and I'm just not comfortable spending that high of a pick on Lance.   If Ron and Kyle pick him, I presume that would mean they are sold on him, and they know far more than I, but I would still be nervous about the pick, to be honest.  If Ron and Kyle surprise everyone and take Jones that high, I would not be upset.

Picking Qbs are hard.  No one has figured out the formula to do it right.  And by no means do I think I've figured it out. 😀  There are some people on this thread who I greatly respect their opinon but I vehemently disagree with their takes on some QBs.  It doesn't mean I am right and they are wrong or vice versa.  But my point is I don't really trust anyone including scouts, draft geeks, or whomever that they have it figured out.  Because the constant point that's been proven again and again is no one has figured it out. 

So whatever opinion you got on any QB regardless if it jives with anyone here or anyone outside of here -- I'd ride it.   I am not going to say anyone is wrong.  I don't know.  And frankly when I watch Jones and to a lesser extent Trask I say to myself sometimes maybe?  But I am really not sure.  Some players I have an easier time figuring out or at least I think I do. 😀  Some are more difficult.  For me there are some QBs that are hard calls for me in spite of watching them a lot -- Jones is one of them. 

So for me I just ride on certain things that mean something to my takes.  And my favorite type of QBs, have these things going for them:

A. Good ball placement all around the field not just with a specific sweet spot

B.  Good intangibles -- work ethic, study habits, leadership skills

C. Being able to make plays when the pocket breaks down -- quick feet, improvisational skills

D.  Mobility -- can run 10 yards when no one is open or whatever

E.  Arm strength -- coupled with can make tight window throws

Jones to me hits some of those categories well but not all of them.  Again I like him I think more than most on this thread but I am more intrigued by Zach.  I agree Zach's competition is lighter.  But its his skill set that's tantalizing.  I find Jones' skill set as solid but not exciting.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Without going into deep detail, I love QBs in today's NFL who are really good at making plays off script.  And if they have quick feet, can use their mobility as an asset, and can throw off platform.

These are the top 20-ish QBs according to PFF. One thing stands out, with a few exceptions--and those exceptions are aging, all are very mobile, and excel at doing exactly what SIP says above:

image.png.e9c5fe52a84e1afe433da396b40965e7.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Gonna find out what Wilson has against pressure against Coastal Carolina.

Part of me doesn't want him to light it up.  I am intrigued enough with his skill set that I want him to fall.   My main concern with him is durability and does his style of play lend to turnovers in the NFL. 

I was just listening to Brugler who said asking NFL executives he knows about the Qbs, some are torn about who they like more Wilson or Fields.  I personally would love either one.   He thinks Jones in the late first or 2nd.  Trask in the 2nd. 

If Cincy ends up with the #3 pick, i am not as convinced as some here that its Sewell or bust and they would turn down moving a few slots for lets say another 2nd rounder this year and a first next year.    So we might see a bidding war for that pick.  If we end up with the 19th pick, I'd think we'd be out of that race because I doubt Cincy would trade down that far.  Nonethless, it could be an interesting dynamic about the draft.   I think more teams will be shopping for QBs in this draft than typically. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Part of me doesn't want him to light it up.  I am intrigued enough with his skill set that I want him to fall.   My main concern with him is durability and does his style of play lend to turnovers in the NFL. 

I was just listening to Brugler who said asking NFL executives he knows about the Qbs, some are torn about who they like more Wilson or Fields.  I personally would love either one.   He thinks Jones in the late first or 2nd.  Trask in the 2nd. 

If Cincy ends up with the #3 pick, i am not as convinced as some here that its Sewell or bust and they would turn down moving a few slots for lets say another 2nd rounder this year and a first next year.    So we might see a bidding war for that pick.  If we end up with the 19th pick, I'd think we'd be out of that race because I doubt Cincy would trade down that far.  Nonethless, it could be an interesting dynamic about the draft.   I think more teams will be shopping for QBs in this draft than typically. 

On another end, it's going to be a game where some of these Coastal Carolina dudes can get noticed, too. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think it can be understated how the cap is going to go down which will force some teams to make hard decisions at the QB position.  I am convinced there will be a couple teams in this draft that take QBs that leave people shocked. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think I like Wilson enough to give up two first rounders (this year's and next years) plus a second rounder for him.  I do like him though, just not confident on how he translates.

Chazz Surratt vs Syracuse 2020 - YouTube

Surratt isn't as impressive as his highlight videos make him out to be. Soft collisions, more of a rush backer than a MIKE type, looks small, doesn't play as quick as I had thought. Even watching live you don't really get the same impression as watching this YouTube video of him. 

Now, he is still learning LB, but he should be viewed as a developmental guy. 

He seems to have good upside... But he really struggles with block shedding and I'm not all that impressed with his COD. 

• Like 2

That list of the top 20 QB's according to PFF is interesting, but it didn't confirm by general impression. 

A few QB's are higher than I would have thought and that includes
1.  Cousins at 5

2.  Brady at 6

3.  Daniel Jones at 12

14.  Newton at 17

A few QB's are lower than I would have thought and that includes:

1. Brees at 14

2.  Roethlisberger at 19

There is also a lower correlation between QB play and winning than I would have thought

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

These are the top 20-ish QBs according to PFF. One thing stands out, with a few exceptions--and those exceptions are aging, all are very mobile, and excel at doing exactly what SIP says above:

If I had to summarize my takes on Jones and Trask. 

In today's NFL the pocket breaks down way more than when Trask and Jones are used to in college.   QBs who are playmakers in that context have a major edge.  QBs who can run have a major edge.    It's neither one of their gigs.    Also you are going to get pummeled in some games in the NFL which will test your ability to avoid having happy feet. 

Brady clearly isn't fast but he has really nimble feet and more on point he's special as a pocket passer.  Burrow isn't fast but he's good at making plays when the pocket breaks down -- he has quick feet.   

If you are going to be a purely pocket passer and hope to be great in the NFL than IMO you need to be a special pocket passer.    And when I watch Jones or Trask they don't strike me special.  I like Jones more than Trask because IMO he has the quicker feet of the two of them and also the stronger arm.   And to me they share the same wildcard which is they heavily rely on their WRs for contested balls especially when they throw down the field.  And I can post a number of clips of their receivers bailing them out of throws that could have easily been intercepted because they were underthrown or off the mark.  

I can see Jones maybe being a Derek Carr, Kirk type of QB.  I wouldn't bet the house on it but to me its in play.  As for Trask, when I read about him its weird how people are over the map.  Some say he has a noodle arm, some say its a rocket.  Weird.  To my eyes his arm is average. Just OK.  A lot of touch not much zip.  He doesn't to me have quick feet.    

What I like about both guys is there is a grittiness to their style of play.  They seem to both have high intangibles. 

13 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't think I like Wilson enough to give up two first rounders (this year's and next years) plus a second rounder for him.  I do like him though, just not confident on how he translates.

I am not sure if I do either.  But I'll make my mind on that later on.  My gut though is we wouldn't be one of those teams in play on that front. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

QBs who are playmakers in that context have a major edge.  QBs who can run have a major edge. 

This is why I am higher on Lance than most in here, I think (Which means he will probably suck, because I have no idea what I am really talking about...)

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is why I am higher on Lance than most in here, I think (Which means he will probably suck, because I have no idea what I am really talking about...)

Judging QBs are so much tougher than other spots IMO because there are so much interconnecting parts and context to factor in the soup.  When you are judging for example a WR, you can just focus on their hands, ability to seperate, block, speed, double moves on and on.  It's easy to isolate the player regardless of the other players and context.  With QB its really tough.  So I get hung up on skill set as my cheating way to guess it.   The other thing is ball placement all across the field -- short distance, intermediate, long, in routes, out routes.    i am wary of QBs with certain sweet spots but struggle with accuracy with other types of throws.

And while Lance's game brought me concerns which I detailed weeks ago in my take/report about him, he is still intriguing because of his skill set.  The dude's arm strength IMO is undeniable, he has good size, and his mobility is special.  So i'd have no issues with them taking him.   

The other thing that to me is confounding about the QB spot is can certain players overcome their weaknesses and keep growing?   It's a spot that demands growth.  Shanny liked to say (Gibbs too) that you don't know what you got on that front until they are in the building.  So its a mystery until it plays out.   Lance from what I've heard has mega high intangibles.  I was listening to Brugler say this morning not only is Lance a hard worker but he hears he's the hardest worker on that team.  Really high intangibles. 

Edit:  My main concern about Lance is can he be a progression type thrower.  From what i saw he stared at the receiver (and big time so) he was targeting and if the dude wasn't open he would take off.  Not always but most of the time.    The other for me is him developing touch and accuracy with the shorter stuff.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My main concern about Lance is can he be a progression type thrower.  From what i saw he stared at the receiver (and big time so) he was targeting and if the dude wasn't open he would take off.  Not always but most of the time.    The other for me is him developing touch and accuracy with the shorter stuff.  

I posted a scouting video of him doing just that, at least what I saw. After seeing that he climbed a bit for me. And, while you never want to see him do it in the NFL, I love the attitude of his--lowering his shoulder into DBs like a running back--delivering the blow rather than receiving it.

Like you, I've seen glowing reports about his work ethic, which makes him even higher in my book. I think the intanglibes...or Skinstangibles, if you will, are there.

• Like 1